Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm looking for a picture that someone posted in one of the Star Trek threads some time ago, hopefully said poster still has that image and will see this and post it again.

Basically, it's like a re imagining of all the iconic Star Trek races drawn in this kind of Disney movie style, but they actually looked really cool.

I think if Star Trek is ever going to be on TV again, it should be CG animated like Clone Wars or something.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
No, they weren't CG. If I recall it was basically like a grid of squares with the heads of various aliens in them. Klingon, Ferengi...uh, others.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I don't think those are the ones, but that's kinda neat.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

I'm looking for a picture...

Found it.

From this deviantart page

http://thundercake.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-redesigns-115189820

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I've always liked the NX-01 design and the aesthetic of Enterprise in general is a big part of why I enjoyed watching it. Trek fans in general seem to think that (theoretical) starship design has to "evolve" in a purely linear fashion. The NX-01 has the same general structure as a ship that comes 200 years later so CLEARLY it's WRONG. There are a lot of terrible fan designs on the internet that try to interpolate transitional designs in between featured time periods. Like, you have the TMP period with round saucers and then the VOY period with pointy saucers, and then anything that fits in between has to have a saucer with a sphericity in between something in TNG and something in VOY. Or the designs that speculate the lineage of the not-officially-canon Daedalus design that has a spherical hull to the TOS Enterprise. Ship 1 will have a spherical hull, then ship 2 will have a flatter spherical hull, and the next one an even flatter one, etc. until it eventually becomes a saucer. It's stupid.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Maybe you're right. We could talk some more about how the show's art direction was largely bland, uninspired, and at times inappropriately derivative

Your opinions on this subject are pretty bad.

Tighclops posted:

The NX wouldn't have been shat on so badly if they hadn't straight up lifted exact surface details from the Akira rather than just the basic shape; it came across as lazy. Even the deflector dish feels mashed into the front of the saucer like an afterthought.

The "unofficial" refit with the secondary hull does a lot to beef up the design and make it flow better, plus covering up some of the TNG style glowing blue poo poo.

The deflector dish position makes more sense on the NX than in any other design. If it's supposed to project a force field that pushes incoming particles away then the absolute best position would be right on the front of the ship where the field would not be obstructed. The refit design literally just adds a neck and extends the nacelle pylons and adds a deflector module thing with pretty much the same shape as the Constitution without any regard for how it effects the rest of the design, and yet this doesn't seem like it was added on as an afterthought, but the deflector position does? Take away the twin-hulls from that design and it pretty much the Constitution. The NX admittedly was copied from the Akira right down to the surface detailes, but on the whole, it worked. It's a flying saucer with nacelles. It's definitely a better alternative to another Constitution clone. Besides, the Akira barely exists as a thing. It just appears in the background in a few episodes I guess, but it's never something we really get to look at. Unless Star Trek's 5th series was going to be set in the 24th century again, the Akiraprise was a good way to give the design some actual on screen exposure.

quote:

The rest of the show was the same basic corridors (my god, if the ship is so bloody small why did you make like 5 more corridors than the last show) and rooms built for TMP spraypainted copper with actual flatscreen monitors bolted on. I appreciate all the little nods to TOS the designers thought to include in that stuff but overall it looked very plain visually until they started adding colour and blinkies in the last season.

Have you actually ever watched Enterprise? The interiors were way busier than anything featured in TNG to VOY, which was just all flat and grey or beige. Have you seen what the inside of the ISS looks like? Basically a bunch of computers and instruments bolted to the walls. The designers did a fantastic job blending "24th century design" with what real space things look like.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 1, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I can't imagine a spherical NX-01 looking anything but terrible.

I dunno, I think this looks pretty awesome.

:spergin: about made up technology, but why would shields "degrade" when hit, anyway? The whole idea of shields "down to 30%" or whatever doesn't really make sense at least based on my understanding of how real life field-things work. If whatever is hitting the shields stops hitting it, then there shouldn't be any reason why the field strength would not return to 100%, right?

Subyng fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 1, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
This is the dumbest discussion ever even by Trek standards.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It's time to discuss Trek tech again.

Wouldn't any kind of non-invasive scanning of other ships basically be impossible since any spacecraft would be shielded against radiation?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The whole adding apostrophes to make words or names something look alien is retarded. It makes as much sense as writing these character's names as U'hura, Su'lu and Ch'e'ko'v''''' god its so stupid.

Also with the exception of Klingon, it always bothered me how alien languages all sounded like English since they used all the same phonemes and intonation.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 14, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Re: transporter talk, I always thought it was stupid that you could remotely transport things without the use of a transporter pad or some other device. By what mechanism are you physically disassembling and object and reconstructing it without some kid of device at the source and destination to do it? It's essentially magic, and magic tech runs into the problem of "well why couldn't they just do X in Y" situation.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Snak posted:

I assumed that it worked exactly the same as regular beaming up and then beaming back down, they just skipped materializing on the pad on the ship. Lock on, beam them "up" into the pattern buffer, then beam them "down" to the destination.

Right, but I always thought there should be some kind of physical medium that facilitates the beaming process, which I assumed would be the transporter pad. You stand on the pad, the pad dematerializes you, sends your pattern into the buffer, sends the pattern to the receiver, and the receiver re-materializes you on their pad.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

V-Men posted:

I thought site-to-site transport was something Wesley worked on in TNG. Didn't he write a special program just for that?

Clearly he just stole Scotty's transwarp beaming equation. :smug:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

this is the one scene that stuck out to me the most in the entire movie

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Ah, a Denobulan smile! How lovely!

His ability to smile has been genetically enhanced.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Now Captain Kirk, that guy is a fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pighpPCNPU

Saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAWnDksru4g) in the related videos and it made me appreciate how loving awesome TOS is

Bicyclops posted:

But actually that second thing is what looks bad whereas the choreographed dance fighting that permeates throughout most fiction (and is created by fight choreographers and not writers) makes better viewing.

I think realistic looking fight scenes can be made to be compelling, like in the Bourne movies.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
all the emh mark I's get relegated to cleaning toilets

I'm a doctor, not a janitor! :smith:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
so what's the deal with aatrek anyway? or is it taboo to talk about?

I never even noticed he was gone until people mentioned it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What's everyone's beef with the temporal cold war stuff in Enterprise? The concept or the execution? Cause I think the concept is pretty neat. A bunch of factions playing hide and go seek through time, engaging in all kinds of wacky temporal subterfuge. That's rad as hell.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I never liked the idea (which is canon I guess) that the Ferengi actually bought warp drive from another species. It takes the Ferengi stereotype to a ridiculous extreme. Likewise, I prefer the idea that Klingon society wasn't all about HONOUR throughout their entire history, and that only recently did the warrior caste come to prominence, essentially usurping the infrastructure that the other aspects of Klingon society had built for them. Now and again you hear a Klingon in some episode talking about how the Klingons have lost their way; in my mind their talking about the balanced society that has made way for the warrior class in an age of interstellar conquest. I think there's even an episode of DS9 where Dax lectures Work about how Klingon society is broken.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 14, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
ST:ID was loving awesome and its detractors are bad people with bad opinions. Rather than give a detailed blow-by-blow of why you are all wrong, I'm just going to give a universal "nope" to everyone.

In all seriousness though, ST:ID was amazing because of how visceral it was. The movie was charged with emotion; both Abrams and the actors did a great job selling those moments. And the overall aesthetic and visual variety in the movie was fantastic. We had the opportunity to see so many things - 23rd century Earth, Kronos, all the different costumes - all of which helped to cement the universe in which the movie resides. Old Trek was just so sterile by comparison. JJTrek may not have the deep characterization and storytelling of the old, but it makes up for it by showing the audience and letting them EXPERIENCE what the entire WORLD of Star Trek is like.

Trek '09 was pretty sucky though, I mean it had some of the same good things that ID had but not enough to make up for the fact that the main plot point (Nero's revenge) made no sense no matter how much you contrived an explanation.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 30, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Everything in STO is fan wanky as hell. Expect any and every thing that has ever appeared in an episode of Star Trek to be connected in some stupid way to that other thing that appeared in that one episode.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

And this is the new game style Sovereign Refit look:

STO players have loving terrible taste then because the first design looks soooo much better than the second. The second one reeks of oh lets make everything POINTY and BLACK ACCENTS its like a RACECAR in SPACE its so POWERFUL its got 20 CLASS XX PHASER BANKS 10 QUANTUM TORPEDO LAUNCHERS THE STRONGEST SHIP IN THE FLEET

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

That's because a "saucer section" is a ridiculous idea to begin with. Shape doesn't matter in space,

Shape does matter in space, not in terms of aerodynamics, but there are plenty of factors why your ship would be a certain shape. Structural integrity, ease of construction, to name a couple.

Lowen SoDium posted:

It had an extra spacial dimension?

That's how advanced it is.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm one of the people that absolutely loves how the neck is far back on the JJprise and hate all suggestions to move it back to the front. The positioning of the elements of the JJprise makes the design feel more balanced.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
This here is a pretty kicking rad Enterprise design:

from http://mattwileyart.com/portfolio/vintagead.html

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Having a full-spectrum reflective surface on your ship does make sense in space. Better than just absorbing everything. Lets you get nice and close to a star.

But they don't use lasers in Star Trek, they use particle beams, so a reflective surface would be useless :goonsay:

e; well purely from a defensive point of view, reflecting cosmic radiation would be pretty handy I guess

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The Kelvin is also the single best looking Fed ship in Star Trek history.

Look at that awesome thing.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 5, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

They're called the Klingon empire, it was a little strange we never really saw any conquered planets or peoples on screen.

Before Enterprise's dumb Klingon Augment arc my explanation for why there were smooth-headed Klingons in TOS was because those "Klingons" were actually a different species, vassals to the Klingon Empire, who overthrew the ruling power and took control of the empire for a century or so during a period of civil strife. A powerful Klingon family, maybe Duras or whatever, raised an army of smoothheadians to stage a coup, but was betrayed and the smoothheadian leader took power. Kind of like the Mamluk Sultanate during the medieval age.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

Before DS9's excellent Trials and Tribble-ations my explanation for why there were smooth-headed Klingons in TOS was because of the makeup department not being able to afford fancy things like forehead prostheses in the 1960s. All they had to do was add one more amusing joke to an already great episode - change Michael Dorn's makeup for the duration of his stay in the 23rd century with nobody so much as looking like they noticed anything was different.

Didn't Gene himself say he never intended for there to be any distinction between the two, and that if he could he would have had bumpy-headed Klingons all along?

Well obviously we all know the real life explanation but where's the fun in that? I agree though, having Worf's ridges just spontaneously appear and disappear between the Defiant and the station would have been hilarious.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
you talk and you talk but you have no GURAMBA

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Kazy posted:

Found in the F-35 thread:

Terrible Trek really inspires terrible design :allears:

Why have a plane that can split into three planes when you can just bring 3 regular planes?

Multi Vector Assault Mode, that's why.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The whole buff/debuff thing in MMO's is pretty stupid because there's pretty much no reason why you wouldn't want to activate those buffs all the time. It would be cool if say Attack Pattern Beta-Gamma was something like, intertial dampening forcefields strap everyone down to their consoles for 30 seconds allowing the ship to perform 100g maneuvers without painting the bulkheads red and green with the remains of the crew members. The disadvantage is that you pretty much can't do anything else while this is in effect because your crew can't even press the buttons on their consoles while this is happening.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 15, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

That's Suddenly Human, but I thought you were actually referring to Conundrum (the one where one group wipes the Enterprise crew's memories and plants information in their computer trying to get them to attack the people they're fighting a war with).

I was thinking of Suddenly Human too and now that you mention those other episodes it seems like the Enterprise gets picked on a lot by vastly weaker ships. Basically the galaxy's impression of the Federation is so low that even the weakest of powers try to bully them.

Arglebargle III posted:

Star wars uses plasma cannons almost exclusively. They're called lasers because stars wars ain't give a gently caress about physics.

If we're talking realism plasma weapons would be hilariously ineffective as the plasma would just dissipate the moment you fired it.

Nessus posted:

while whatever species of psion they have as counselor/face man tries to talk them down.

This reminded me of something I found amusing about the old Birth of the Federation game. Each race could build a unique structure. The Betazoids' one? Counseling Academy. Basically to the Federation, Betazed's only role is to provide ships with officers that can let their captains know when they sense something really obvious.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 16, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

re: Star Trek Space Combat Chat Pages ago

I was blown away how the Picard maneuver was pretty much the only instance of using warp in a ship battle. You'd think they'd just program the computer to choose x random points to warp to and fire on their enemy. You'd see 'dog fighty' stuff like the ships blinking in and out of view in order to try to get a good enough/long enough firing position on its enemy.

You could easily justify why they don't do that by quoting energy requirements or heat requirements or something. Maybe warping so many times in quick succession would critically damage the warp core.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I absolutely love that episode, because it gives us more insight into TNG-era Romulan culture than any other ep in the entire series, except perhaps for "Reunification". Through Troi's impersonation of a Tal'Shiar officer and the Romulan ship captain's reactions to her, we can extrapolate that modern Romulan society is analogous to a fascist police state. The ship's captain is like a Luftwaffe officer in the German WW2-era military, loyal to the state but not a fanatic true believer in the political cause of imperial conquest and the destruction of the Federation, while also unsympathetic to traitors ready to undermine their entire government and society to bring down the most extreme Nazi elements they both dislike. She cares about her crew and even the lives of innocent alien civilians instead of coldly seeing everything as a resource spent in pursuit of a greater goal, unlike most of the other Romulan captains (except Tomalak, RIP A-Katz :sigh: ).

It's really too bad the Klingons took up the vast majority of the development time spent on the major alien races, the seeds were planted for a more nuanced portrayal of the Romulans but nobody ever watered them.

I think the portrayal of the commander in this episode very closely mirrors the commander in the very first Romulan episode of TOS. Both characters were very polarized with regard to their distaste for war, yet at the same time they would not hesitate to engage in acts of war in the name of duty, even if they did not believe that their actions were right.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Definitely some sexy ship designs. I liked that one that had two chunky stardrive hulls with nacelles above them. These people have good eyes.

That one (and a few others) are from JJTrek ;)

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

I actually think Trek backed into a decent excuse for having manned craft,

The oft-quoted excuse in sci-fi is that seeing the action take place with humans is more exciting, but I think the same reasoning can work in-universe. Sure, we could build a fleet of unmanned ships to do the job, but we'd rather be there ourselves, close to the action. Hence, manned ships.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The whole idea of hacking ship computers and "tapping into" enemy systems and such is pretty stupid anyway. Like, all you have to do to prevent that is disconnect your computer from the space internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Enterprise did nothing wrong.

Arglebargle III posted:

Statements like "we can't let these people die" are understandable but a total misread of the situation. They won't die, they never will have existed, and a new set of descendents (ones that can reasonably be expected to have happier lives) will take their place in the future.

Their lives will no longer exist. That's death. If someone points a gun at you and says "this won't kill you, it will make it so that you never existed", would you feel any differently? Arguably the latter is even worse.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 6, 2014

• Locked thread