Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Randall Cobb probably fell into the 'Athlete' category as well if I am remembering his Kentucky career correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crazy Larry posted:

Just look at what Mike Zimmer can do with the Bengals' d-line and a secondary that's relying heavily on Adam Jones, Terrence Newman and signing Chris Crocker off the street as a free agent mid season every year.

The Bengals case has a lot to do with individual coaching over scheme, if that makes sense. Like Zimmer isn't using fancy coverages or anything to hide Newman, but rather Newman has played his position better than he ever has under Zimmer.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is pretty hilarious how badly that tie is going to gently caress the Vikings

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mike Tanier wrote a billion words about the top of the draft next year: http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/five-draft-day-top-five-scenarios/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
In their respective drafts the top 5 in receptions this season were picked at:
205 (Garcon)
195 (Antonio Brown)
3 (Andre Johnson)
232 (Edelman)
120 (Marshall)

Yards is a bit more skewed towards high picks but only has two top 5 picks in the leaders (Green and Calvin).

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Great, well we have established that the best players tended to be drafted earlier but not always. Valuable insights.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

I'd say the Browns but they're surprisingly hard to fleece into trading up. The Jets on the other hand...

And the Jets would trade up like 15 spots because?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Woof that is one loving turd of an article.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The answer is no, the Jets don't abandon their second round QB after a single 8-8 season.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aniki posted:

Bridgewater going to the Vikings at 8 would be an absolute best case scenario. I don't think it will happen, but I would be ecstatic if it did. For guys familiar with Zimmer and the Bengals, what kind of players does he target in terms of physical attributes or personality?

I don't know if there is a general book on the Bengals for defensive personnel or not. I think they have favored big tall secondary players over smaller, more agile guys. Like George IIoka, Reggie Nelson, and Dre Kirkpatrick are all big dudes. They traded for Taylor Mays is that is any indication, who was pretty good this year before he got hurt.

Some of that could be Marvin picking players as well.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aniki posted:

Xavier Rhodes and Chris Cook would fit that mold, though I think that Cook is gone regardless due to health and previous off the field issues. Given that he has a reputation for getting the most of DBs, I'm hoping that he'll be able to get the secondary back into shape.

What about linebackers? It seems like he likes bigger who may like ideal 40 times that you'd expect to be plugged into a 3-4, but they seem to do well in his scheme. I was really surprised to see James Harrison playing in a 4-3, though based on his stats it doesn't look like he played much.

It is true that there could be disconnect between what Zimmer chooses to run in Minnesota and what Lewis wanted to run in Cincy. I do like that he seems to get the most of players on defense, especially in the secondary, which has been a longstanding problem in Minnesota.

Edit: Are there any defensive players towards the top of the draft like Barr or Mack that you think would be good fits for Zimmer?

Zimmer likes to play more in a Nickel defense than a straight 4-3 most times, which is why the third CB (Pacman) usually had a lot more snaps than James Harrison. Some of that might be personnel in that the Bengals have a D-Line full of players who can both pass rush and defend the run, especially Atkins and Dunlap. Having big safeties plays into this as well.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Manziel having more leadership than Bridgewater sort of reeks of Black Quarterback but I don't think Kiper is one of those guys.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Better smokescreen other teams about our true intentions on Tahj loving Boyd

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
- * Manning

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Half of the QBs on your poor name list are pretty good so that doesn't make any sense.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If your team has a narrow lead and the clock ticks down to zero during a play do you:

1) Attempt to tackle the ballcarrier to end the game
2) Take off your helmet and throw it in celebration

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

My Barber is from Johnny's home town and he was telling me that the Manziel family is basically the mob.

He is right http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I bet this conversation has been had by scouts for real

I bet it hasn't because it is retarded

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
No, I'm going to guess that scouts don't secretly talk about how beating up women makes you good at football

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Not everyone is as hung up on being 100% PC as internet forums are ~~~

Not saying that beating your wife is ok or if it makes you a good football player. That's obviously tongue in cheek. I'm just saying the average guy jokes about things that are TOTALLY ABHORRENT all the time. You and your friends might not, but there are plenty of people out there that do.

Average guy joking around sure sounds different from "legitimately talk about if smoking weed or beating your wife makes you a better player"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

Has it ever happened...ever? Probably. Is it widespread today? Probably not. Is anyone who seriously argues it a shitpail? Definitely.

I'm sure it happened back when football scouting was primarily 'that guy is big and tough and mean!', which probably overlapped with the era where any good wife was expected to eat a few punches without telling anyone.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Drafting the people who slip because of abuse allegations can be a good idea. An example of this can be found in the case of #2 overall pick Jason Kidd.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpclKen posted:

Very true, speaking if DII and DIII prospects, who is going to the combine? The panthers seem to draft a DII prospect the last couple drafts and I wanted to take a look at a couple.

The only one I have heard of is a center from Grand Valley State named Matt Armstrong.

You can sort by conference at the NFL site to see them all

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpclKen posted:

That's last years link, but thanks.

Oh whoops, I assumed they would have updated it by now considering it is like a week or so away

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is the general book on CBs in this draft? I get the impression that there is some depth there but not really a whole lot of surefire first round prospects.

This is the first year in a while where I have no idea what the Bengals should do in the draft. I almost want them to take Aaron Donald and have two Geno Atkins but I'm not sure if you would want both of them to be on the field on the same time outside of obvious passing situations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the Bengals are in a good position to take a CB if a good one is at their spot, but it isn't a pressing need for the next season. Leon Hall will presumably back along with Newman, Jones and Kirkpatrick. Newman obviously might fall off a cliff at some point but he was good last year. Pacman is only 30 and seems fine and Kirkpatrick at least showed some signs that he wasn't a bust.

It seems like they will really need a CB in 2015 and have the luxury of slowly rotating a new person in during 2014 instead of just throwing someone out there in Week 1. Sort of like how they would have needed a DE in 2014 and took Margus Hunt last draft.

John Brown posted:

Don't the Bengals run more zone than man anyway? I could be wrong but that what it seems like in the games that I've watched.

They usually ran man coverage but did a little bit of everything.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SoE also has a mock draft(s) up http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67711888/sports-on-earth-nfl-mock-draft-houston-texans-teddy-bridgewater

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The NFL draft grades sure suggest Aaron Donald is garbage. I thought he was a consensus first round or two pick after the combine?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I mean Senior Bowl not combine, sorry. But yeah that list is really odd. He surely isn't the 30th best DL prospect.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I read that Tajh Boyd was so bad at the Senior Bowl that he might not get drafted. No accuracy on anything, bad decision making, gets through one read before tucking the ball and running, etc.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah Shembo shouldn't have sexually assaulted the girl but

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Feh. If you want to treat raping people as an inexcusable violent crime then maybe you and your liberal buddies can form a weekly meeting at your Local Independent Coffee Shop and talk it over while drinking lattes.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think GMs ignore rape allegations either, that seems like a made up thing. It might not necessarily be due to morality reasons but they probably don't like getting tons of 'why did you draft a rapist' questions or 'that rapist sure is rising up the depth chart huh'.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Well it depends. For example, Bill Parcells drafted Christian Peter in 1996, after he had known to have raped at least three women and been convicted of various lesser offenses 8 times including grabbing a woman by the throat in a bar a month before the draft. The next day, the firestorm of media reports had Kraft force Parcells to cut Peters which is pretty much considered the event that got Parcells to leave for an owner that wouldn't meddle with his team.

Christian Peter went to play for 6 seasons with three other teams and was elected to the Nebraska football hall of fame. Story over, no moral!

What the gently caress is with Nebraska football

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
SoE has a really good piece on Robinson and his trip to the combine.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68258092/auburn-tackle-greg-robinson-was-solid-at-the-nfl-combine

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

smuggler posted:

Has Jake Long ever threatened to murder someone?

Probably Jeff Ireland at some point

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think QBs with very small sample sizes are viewed pretty skeptically around the league these days and are probably not that valuable unless a team gets super desperate. Matt Flynn is sort of the poster child for it and Kolb was a pretty big bust as well. Who is the last backup QB like this to move to another team and do really well with a big contract? Schaub?

I am probably missing someone super obvious

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

It's not but 8 tds and 10 ints over backup duty as a fourth round pick on an organization who focused all of it's attention on the QB picked three rounds in front of you is pretty darn good.

No it isn't good. It isn't bad really either, it just isn't anything substantive that makes you want to fork good picks over for.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Haha remember when Buffalo gave Ryan Fitzpatrick $24m guaranteed I almost forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My amateur opinion is that there is enough depth in the draft to be able to pick outside of need in the top part of the first round. Especially if you think the player there is really destined to become a top player in the league, which probably fits Sammy Watkins. Picking him and then sifting through the piles of good DE/CB talent in the top of the second round seems like a pretty decent plan to me.

The exception would be if one of the QBs drops since it fills such a hole for the Vikings that would be much less likely to be fixed by taking Aaron Murray or whoever in the third.

• Locked thread