Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kithyen posted:

So for those that don't know major discounts for full game expansions and server transfers are going on for a bit. I had a question about the ultimate seekers edition from SE's store. There doesn't seem to be any mention about the chocobo shirt/beret. Anybody know if the version from SE's store come with those? My brother was possibly interested in giving this a go during the campaign.

I was curious about the same thing and figured what the hell, it's only :10bux: if it doesn't work out.

The version from SE's store only gives a code for the ultimate seekers edition itself. It does not also give codes for the shirt and beret.

The version from Steam (which, admittedly, costs way more) gives codes for all three.

In related news, I have an extra code for the ultimate seekers edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I expect you'd want to have it equipped when the MP is deducted (which would be in a... midcast? gear set). If memory serves, Conserve MP still requires you to have the full amount available and it won't let you try to cast with less, but when the game actually reduces your MP it won't take the full amount away.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

General newbie advice:

1. Unlock Records of Eminence, and start poking through that and completing objectives. Focus on the Tutorial, Other, and the two Combat sections, for now.

2. Unlock Trusts. Windurst gets you Kupipi right off the bat (and a few others once you've ranked up in missions). Kupipi's a pocket healer, very helpful to have along.

3. Do the tutorial objectives that you're breadcrumbed into after starting the character, which introduce you to a number of things (and get you a free exp ring).

4. Click on every drat Home Point and Survival Guide you see to unlock them for future fast travel. (They're marked on the map.) Home point travel within your current city is free. Otherwise it's usually 500 gil to go to a town or 1000 gil to go somewhere with enemies.

5. Speaking of maps, find a map vendor and buy at least the maps of the Windurst, Bastok, San d'Oria, and Jeuno regions. That'll get you all of the major town and outdoor areas you'll be encountering for a while.

6. Find a Fields Tome (outdoors) or Grounds Tome (indoors) in an area you can easily kill things. Pick an objective you like and set it to repeat. Use that free exp ring from the tutorial quests to get a buff to exp gain. Get to killing poo poo (summon Kupipi!) and leveling up. Dismiss and re-summon Kupipi after gaining a few levels or if she runs out of MP. (Same goes for other trusts you unlock later.) Try not to fight anything higher than Decent Challenge - faster kills will be more rewarding than the higher exp-per-kill from stronger things. Between RoE and Trust and Fields/Grounds of Valor and exp ring, this will go very fast.

7. When you have the conquest points to do so, buy a "Warp Ring" with them. This has infinite charges, a 10 minute cooldown, and will return you to whatever you set as your last home point. (Like dying, minus the dying.)

8. Somewhere in the 15-20 range would be a decent time to wander over to Bastok and San d'Oria, unlocking home points and survival guides along the way. Windurst -> East Saruta -> north to Tahrongi -> east to Buburimu -> southeast to Mhaura -> ride the ferry to Selbina -> leave town to Valkurm.
- San d'Oria: northeast exit from Valkurm to La Theine -> northwest to West Ronfaure -> northeast to San d'Oria.
- Bastok: southeast exit from Valkurm to Konschtat -> south to North Gustaberg -> south to South Gustaberg -> northeast to Bastok.

9. Bastok and San d'Oria each have their own trust quest as well. Do those to unlock Naji and Excenmille, so now you can roll with a four person party (you and three trusts).

10. Somewhere in the 20-30 range would be a decent time to wander over to Jeuno, unlocking home points and survival guides along the way. You can pick any of three routes to get there:
- Windurst: from Tahrongi, northwest to Meriphataud -> northwest to Sauromugue -> northwest to Jeuno.
- Bastok: from Konschtat, northeast to Pashhow -> northeast to Rolanberry -> northeast to Jeuno.
- San d'Oria: from La Theine, east to Jugner -> northeast to Batallia -> east to Jeuno.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 12, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

So if my actual account is still active, but the characters canceled, can I just reactivate them specifically for the Return Home campaign or am I hosed? I remember POL being kind of weird about defining those back then.

So long as the account itself (both Square-Enix and PlayOnline) is active and uncancelled, you should be good, even if you cancelled all the individual characters to stop the monthly billing.

Since two of my old Auction House alts spontaneously reactivated themselves during this campaign, you may not even need to do that much. Try just logging in and see what happens.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Recent exp bonuses include:

- 100% boost from double exp campaign through the end of May (just automatic bonus)
- 90% boost from rhapsodies key items
- 150% boost from adventurer's appreciation ring (infinite charges)
- unknown boost from Kupofried trust from adventurer's appreciation event
- unknown boost from moghancement from clock from adventurer's appreciation event

So even (especially?) if you're a fresh newbie, go out and do this event. It'll help you level fast. Don't forget to pick up the other trusts/ciphers in the treasure chest next to one of the event moogles.

e: Tips for phase 2 of the event, fighting a behemoth:

- If there are very few people, like 1-2, consider doing the skillchains they want. Otherwise just wait for the objective to spam weapon skills, then have everyone do that.

- When it's time to DPS the thing after succeeding an objective, especially near the end so you don't have to worry about it dying when your buff is off (not getting credit), it'll give a warning message. Run 20 yalms away when you see that, wait for thunderbolt to go off, then run back in and resume pewpew. If you try to run when thunderbolt starts, you won't get near far enough away in time. It's possible to resist the thunderbolt's removal of your buff but you can't depend on that.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 18, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Key Items

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The only major PITA spells for BLU are the ones from the wildskeeper reive bosses, because those require Organization and Scheduling and Other People. Everything else you should be able to solo pretty readily, or solo with trusts in the case of some Adoulin spells. Just make a priority list, e.g. a few spells that'll be handy to have as you level, then spells that are always in spell sets among max level BLUs, then spells that are sometimes in spell sets among max level BLUs, and then fill in the gaps of the less useful poo poo when you're bored.

Honestly I like them as a sort of extra thing-to-do. Plus they get bonus points for not costing an arm and a leg in gil, unlike say GEO.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The Adventurer's Appreciation thing also gives you a trust with an experience bonus aura, and a furnishing with an experience bonus moghancement. They happen every year in May, so if you're gonna start a new character, now's the time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also, many of the JP midnight waits were changed to game day waits or 1 minute waits, and many of the game day waits were changed to 1 minute waits. Throw in a re-zone here and there.

Point being, just because old wikis and information say you need to wait for a game day, JP midnight, or even a conquest tally for something... it doesn't hurt to double-check and see if you can do it right away anyway.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That depends heavily on server economy. My main is on Quetz and the crafted item supply on the AH there is basically nonexistent, but I recently rolled an alt on Asura (aka where most of the English speaking population has converged) and it actually has reasonable poo poo on the AH.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also for gil, many of the sub-99 sparks items convert to gil at an NPC vendor with an approximately 1 spark to 10 gil ratio. Do poo poo to get sparks, turn sparks into cash, buy poo poo. I think the very best deal is Acheron Shield on the third page of 71-98 gear, but don't hold me to that.

When you're 99 you can gently caress around in Adoulin and get various weird items that spawn poo poo etc. and those will AH for a bunch of money.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Eh, four trusts (you have done rhapsodies to unlock the fourth, yes?) can carry you passably enough even if your personal contribution to killing things is laughable.

As for the materials on the auction house, a. check back on weekends, b. check ffxiah.com's bazaar listings, c. try shouting.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Many of the JP midnight waits were turned into game day waits.

Many of the game day waits were turned into 1 minute waits.

Things that required rezoning still require rezoning.

Point being, take things with some salt. I don't know for sure about BLU quests or anything else in particular, but it's entirely possible that someone tried it without rezoning and/or on the same game day, didn't succeed, and blithely concluded that it was still a full JP midnight wait.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Siren fight's for the third KI though. Looking at the rewards overall from the perspective of a new character:

- First KI is something you'd want right off the bat - it has a bunch of nice generalized benefits. Conveniently enough, you can get it around level 10 (and you'll probably be higher than that just killing poo poo as you walk there on a new character, especially if you got the clock, trust, and ring from the anniversary event).

- Second KI is something you'd want before hitting level 70 and doing the genkai to raise the level cap to 75, since its main benefit is letting you bring trusts to fight Maat (or whoever). You can meet the rank requirements around the mid-20s. Not sure what level the fight itself is tuned for, but I'm guessing it's soloable (with your now 4 trusts) somewhere in the 25-70 range.

- Third KI has benefits for a selection of endgame content that you don't really need to concern yourself with before hitting 99 (yes, some of it's 75 cap stuff, but just concentrate on leveling unless you're one of those people who wants to play at 75 cap for ~*my nostalgia*~), and it's pretty easy to solo at 99 with trusts and sparks gear. 60-ish is generally where people used to do the rank requirement for it.

The 30% experience bonus for the second and third KIs is certainly nice and all, but I see it more for the sake of the later leveling (and meriting) and leveling subs and alts, than as a real necessity for leveling your first job. Though if you can get help with the fights earlier than you'd be able to solo them, then by all means, get them earlier and enjoy the experience.

The game kinda shits experience at you as it is, just with the anniversary event rewards though.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 29, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I already know about the Rhapsodies KIs, I think there was something else in addition to that?

Adventurer's appreciation campaign, the thing with the moogles and the behemoths. Get the ring, the trust, and the furnishing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dadjacket posted:

Anyway I haven't asked anyone for a pearl yet and I just discovered that I can't take trusts with me to do the eco-warrior quest in Windurst. Would anyone in the general Windurst/Sarutabaruta areas be willing to give me a pearl so I can party up and clear those vermin? Character name on Asura is Haswares.

Eco-Warrior is and has always been a vile and hateful thing that's best handled by deliberately ignoring it whenever you see it in your log. The general idea was "arrange a party/alliance of players willing to put up with a level cap (and before level sync, suitably low level gear as well) to fight through a bunch of crap, ending with a typically annoying/dangerous final boss (which sometimes wiped your whole group), to get an exp scroll with a piteously small reward like 500 experience".

See if they ever remove the level cap from it, and if they do, knock it out then. Until then, best to act like you never picked it up.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Alternatively, if you really want to solo it (NB that you get Actual Cutscenes if you do it at the right time, and some sort of :effort: cutscenes and different objectives if you backtrack for it too much later), you can go around by a convoluted route through the back.

The downside is a substantial bit of prerequisite questing, although if you had some plans to knock out quests sooner or later anyway, this is no big deal.

1. Food for Thought
2. Overnight Delivery
3. Water Way to Go
4. Blue Ribbon Blues
5. Toraimarai Turmoil (you only have to start this one and get the Rhinostery Certificate key item)

Once you have your Rhinostery Certificate in hand, you can enter Toraimarai Canal through the back entrance in Windurst Walls. From there, you can proceed through the zone in reverse to the main entrance, leading you to the part of Inner Horutoto Ruins that's beyond the three mage gate, letting you complete the mission solo. (Grab the Toraimarai survival guide on your way.)

But honestly, if you're playing with friends/goons, it's easier just to ask someone to help. NB that anyone who's completed that mission (either the real version or the :effort: version) and who's given Kupipi a rolanberry, can get a key item Portal Charm from Kupipi that will let them open that door solo (you should do this too, once you finish it). So you don't necessarily have to find red/white/black mages, you can also just find someone with a Portal Charm.

Vil fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 3, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The ultimate seekers collection or whatever they call it (the one with Adoulin and also everything else, rather than just Adoulin alone), also comes with codes for a Chocobo Shirt and Destrier Beret. These make you extra beefy up to level 30 (including any time you're level sync'd to level 30 or below):

Shirt:
+50 accuracy
+50 ranged accuracy
+50 magic accuracy
Fewer synthesis failures if your crafting rank for that synth is initiate or below

Beret:
1 HP/tick auto-regen
1 MP/tick auto-refresh
Unlimited auto-reraise
Faster skill-ups
Increased movement speed

NB that these codes are for one specific character of your choosing (so create your character first), and aren't an account-wide thing that all your characters get.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Personally, while I've been diligently doing login campaigns and the like, all of my most frequently used trusts are the ones that are permanently available, such as Zeid 2 and Arciela. Just be sure to join or switch to Apururu's unity (you can get a trust for your unity leader if you keep your personal unity ranking high enough), since she's a loving kickass healer.

Alter ego extravaganza trusts (like Joachim or Koru-Moru) tend to be more interesting than login point trusts. YMMV.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kortel posted:

I'll be transferring during the free login campaign next week. How does the npc party system work?
I had a merc, but now I see stuff like trusts and alter ego?

You do a trivial quest available at level 5 in any of the starting cities. That'll unlock the trust and alter ego mechanic (it's basically two names for the same thing), letting you summon up to 3 party members of various NPCs like Shantotto or Ayame. Each one has its own job and list of available abilities/spells (so one white mage trust might do healing and debuffing while another might do healing and status curing and a third might do healing and melee dps).

Any and all trusts will only be active when your weapon is drawn and you have smacked an enemy, they'll only pay direct attention to that enemy (though they might AoE things and will still retain any threat they generated on other enemies if you switch targets), and will promptly deactivate and go back to following you around if you put your weapon away (even the healers). They take care of their own positioning, which may or may not be sensible. So they're like real party members but can definitely be derpy. Their HP and MP also regenerates quite fast if you stay out of combat for a while.

They scale to your level when you summon them, and are treated as having relatively decent but not amazing gear for that level. As you level, you can periodically resummon them to catch them up to your new level, and since they're always decently enough geared, you don't really have to worry about keeping yourself geared too much when leveling alt jobs.

Each NPC has to be unlocked individually - you get a freebie in each city just for doing its local trust quest (Naji, Kupipi, and Excenmille). Beyond that, some have requirements like country or expansion mission progression or completing related quests. If this is an experienced character that you're rebooting, you'll probably have already fulfilled a lot of these requirements and you can just do a lap of going around and talking to people and unlocking them as trusts. (e: While you're doing this lap, also click on any home points or "survival guides" (they look like floating books) you see - they'll be marked on the map, flashing if you haven't clicked them yet - since those will serve as fast travel points for you.)

After the initial wave of trusts (where they actually got individual cutscenes), most of the trusts added since then have come in the form of "Cipher: <name>" items in your inventory that you bring to one of the trust-quest NPCs to turn into a summonable trust in your list. Some ciphers come from seasonal events, some from later missions, some are buyable for various currencies like conquest points. Quite a few come from the monthly login point events, which has 5-6 trusts available each month, and gradually cycle through them all (if you're diligent about login points you'll get most or all of these in half a year or so). There are also "alter ego expos" for most of a month on a quarterly basis (1/4/7/10, I think?), which seem to have one set of trusts for fall/spring and another set for summer/winter. The quarterly trusts from these tend to be more interesting/useful than the monthly trusts from login points (which are often Yet Another Non-Utility DPS).

Finally, the "Rhapsodies of Vana'diel" missions they've been adding recently, in addition to trying to tie up the story, crap out a shitload of practical gameplay benefits (to the point that it's worth doing them out of order even if you haven't done all preceding missions yet). Those benefits include, among other things, the ability to summon a 4th and later a 5th trust, allowing you to have a full party of 6, consisting of yourself and 5 trusts.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 7, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can use trusts in most (if not all) main-plot content. It's more "instanced event" stuff, like Einherjar and until recently Abyssea, where they're disallowed. But they're allowed in far more things than they're forbidden in.

Whether they're useful or not for such events is another matter entirely. They're pretty useless for anything where a real party would have people spread out and act individually, for example, and in general they're weak in combat for anything that significantly includes a. positioning concerns, b. keeping helper NPCs alive, or c. dealing with packs of enemies (although you can kinda work around C with frequent target switching).

They're awesome for leveling and quite sufficient for the vast majority of plot fights though.

My advice is this:

- As already mentioned recently in the thread, unlock a. trusts, b. records of eminence, and c. unity concord. Records of eminence in particular has a shitload of stuff in it, both non-repeatable and repeatable, but think of it as serving a dual function of a. giving you goals to work towards and b. giving you rewards for things you're doing anyway.

- When going anywhere in the world for any purpose, pop open your map (related: practically every map can now be bought from the map vendor NPC in starting towns for gil) and look for flashing symbols. The blue crystal symbols usually represent home points (but the map symbol for telepoints is either identical or close to it) and the book symbols represent survival guides. Flashing means you haven't clicked on that particular one yet to unlock it, non-flashing just lets you know where it is. These are the game's new fast travel system and will be your best friend for getting around. You can warp from any home point to any other previously-visited home point for a small gil fee, and ditto with survival guides. When you get to Adoulin areas there's a similar system there which uses a different currency and has a few more limitations in where you can go from where, but that's worth unlocking too when you get around to Adoulin content.

- Run through "Rhapsodies of Vana'diel" missions until you hit a wall where due to plot progress and/or tough fights, you can't continue any more. The key items they periodically fork over in those missions, give you a shitload of practical benefits (notably including letting you summon a fourth and later a fifth trust).

- Raise your level cap to 99.

- Get a set of item level 117 gear with "sparks", the currency that pretty much every objective in records of eminence will throw at you. There's a mage set, a light armor set, and a heavy armor set. Don't worry too much about it being super optimized for you, but it's a serviceable placeholder until such time as you can get better item level gear. The fact that it's item level gear at all (and reasonably high numerically at that) will get you lots of boosts to combat skills, evasion, etc., not to mention substantial increases to your main stats.

- Figure out what other goals you want to pursue, and do them. Do you care about gearing up and facing tougher endgame content? Look into processes to do that. Do you want to level things? Go level things. Do you care about seeing the rest of the plot? Go start plowing through missions. (The only things that'll put up a fight at 99 in sparks gear, are some of the later Adoulin missions and - maybe - some of the later Rhapsodies missions. All the story stuff pre-Adoulin will be crazy trivial with sparks gear and an army of trusts.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kortel posted:

Quick travel looks awesome. Are groups still required for the 95-99 unlock? Last I remember I was attempting to get the items required for the fight.

A group of Actual Competent Geared Players (or, ya know, at least one good damage dealer to pad out your trusts) would be better, of course, but you can do it with trusts. You may want to grind out more than one of the debuffing item, just in case.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Definitely, although there's a big difference, even just on the trust front, between a batch of level 95 trusts and a batch of level 99, item level 119 trusts. Throw in the goon and, well, even though it's a goon the trusts could probably still salvage it. :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I don't think they have the Rhapsodies missions included yet, though I expect they will eventually, but check out FFXI The Movie on YouTube.

The director's cut playlist is a solid choice. Skip ahead a few hundred videos to get to the start of Wings of the Goddess content (which intersplices the country-specific WotG stories at appropriate points).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I agree that this last set of Rhapsodies buffs felt pretty anemic compared to the earlier ones.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Item level 119 gear is the new level 99 gear which was the new level 75 gear.

In other words, lots of sidegrades and macro pieces. Though unlike the older stuff, everything has at least some consistent baseline of stats, accuracy, evasion, etc. that it offers.

Probably the next step to focus on after 117 sparks gear, is Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish (not to be confused with Yorcia Skirmish without the word Alluvion), which directly rewards 119 armor and occasionally rewards mellidopt (sp) wings which can be exchanged for 119 weapons or for armor which refuses to drop. The weapons can also be obtained directly from Rala Alluvion Skirmish or Cirdas Alluvion Skirmish depending on weapon, but Yorcia's a lot easier and arguably more fun with its gimmick. Meanwhile, you'll get a bunch of stones from all those Yorcia runs, and you can throw the stones at the armor and weapons in hopes of (useful) semi-random upgrade augments.

On the side, you can work on AF upgrades if you like. This is a two-step process. The first step gets you 109 gear, which will have lower base stats but still might be useful as a macro swap piece (AF2 in particular has a bunch of "makes specific job ability better" stuff that you can macro in only for popping that job ability). You can then upgrade it again to 119 (which is more of a pain) to make it comparable to everything else for base stats. Upgrading AF3 to 119 has an additional requirement of getting kills in some endgame content called Vagary.

Beyond those relatively straightforward options, read up about gearing options (ffxiah.com's forums tend to have good write-ups of gear to be shooting for in stickies at the top of each job's respective forum) and decide which particular flavor of current endgame content you want to pursue for other 119 gear. Some of the gear comes as-is and augmenting isn't even a thing (e.g. AF upgrades). Some comes with random augments and you try for the gear itself over and over until you get one augmented the way you like (e.g. Sinister Reign). Some lets you choose augment "paths" and then throw items at it to gradually upgrade along those paths (e.g. Escha). And some lets you throw items at it for as many shots of semi-random augments as you're willing to stomach the cost of the items for (e.g. Yorcia Alluvion Skirmish, Reisenjima).

If you're only interested in story, of course, you don't really need to hassle any of that gearing stuff (too much; the tail ends of SoA and RoV missions can be tougher). Depending on jobs - I'm afraid I don't know many details about RDM or THF - there may be important things to pursue besides sheer gear/ilvl upgrades, such as certain spells or job point gifts.

For what it's worth, the three night-only mobs for RoV are the hardest thing you have to fight for those missions besides the final boss.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You usually get the key item in the process of doing the mission to rank up from 4 to 5 in your country missions.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's nostalgia not only for a time when getting a shiny in a game was so horribly rare that it "meant something", but also for a time when you had that much free time to throw at a game, and a time when your alternative options for fun weren't as fun as that game.

Even if you play a similarly balanced game now, you can't go back to that mental state. In the meantime, you've either got less free time or you've discovered new things to do with it which in all likelihood are more fun than sitting down to an unproductive grind.

So most people with rose-tinted nostalgia goggles who go for these old school private servers will sit down, try it out for a while, indulge in the nostalgia, and then stop playing a week later (or less) when they realize they're not actually finding it fun any more. A few will stick around, though I really can't understand the mindset of anyone who's experienced anything with a better fun-to-time ratio than an endless grind/farm/camp and who will still do the latter for an extended period anyway.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

yolo posted:

If you want the bonus items (choco shirt/weird beret) then buy it from this link or off of steam because those fuckers from the square-enix online store will never provide you with either of the bonus codes and now I have to choose between re-purchasing the digital download from a different retailer or refilling my cat's antibiotics prescription (and I was already pretty close to just euthanizing that cat anyways given that I can legally drown it in the USA).

I bought a copy off the S-E store. Can confirm that you don't automatically get the codes along with it.

However, I then sent them a customer support note to the tune of "yo, hey, what's up with this, this package is supposed to include these bonus codes" and within a day or two they were all "whoops, here you go, have your codes".

So it's still kinda shady that you have to know to ask for them, but they do cough them up.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I don't mind grinding points and levels, it's skillups where I start looking for automation. Better skillup rates don't make up for skipping up 100 different skills.

When manual methods slow down too far for your taste, turn sparks and gil (via other peoples' sparks) into skillup books and use those instead. If it's a job you actively play and a skill that gets lots of opportunities to skillup (e.g. H2H skill on a monk), skip the books, but otherwise they're really handy. Especially for things like summoning or enhancing magic that are normally a huge pain.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cyrelio posted:

How do these rem/aeonic weapons compare to the relic/mythic weapons? Are they as much of a pain in the rear end to obtain? I think I was working on a mythic weapon when I quit because that was one of the only things I had never obtained in the game.

REM = Relic/Empyrean/Mythic, and also includes Ergon weapons (basically Mythic for GEO/RUN).

And yes, all of them are varying degrees of giant pain in the rear end (or at least some flavor of giant grind).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Related, don't bend over backwards getting gear for yourself on the way to 99. Your trusts can easily carry you even if you're mostly naked, since they are treated as decently geared for their level. Only worry about gear upgrades on the way, if their gil or spark cost is trivial to you.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Good news, you can get yourself to level cap and passably geared (at least enough for story content), as well as do almost all of the story, completely solo.

Some of the later Adoulin and Rhapsodies story content isn't quite as solo-friendly, but most stuff you can steamroll with trusts and ilvl gear.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

BlueBlazer posted:

I don't have to solo as SMN/THF for 8 hours a day for a week to find drops off mobs 10 levels beneath me? Spirit Taker skillchaining with Ifrit made a pretty badass thing to watch for hours on end....

If you come back, look into the following systems in particular:

- Trust (both the system unlock in general as well as acquiring a variety of specific NPCs)
- Records of Eminence (in particular, the stuff in the Tutorial category, as well as checking out some other categories when you're out and about leveling)
- Rhapsodies of Vana'diel (do these concurrently with leveling and other story, at least until you get to the point where you can summon up to 5 trusts)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Out of curiosity, do these new(ish) Ygnas Directive quests go more into the plot line of Arciela's vanishing father, or was that pretty much dropped with its last reference still being when you get Arciela's trust?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also look into Records of Eminence to get sparks (a currency) which you can spend to buy gear that's shitloads better than anything you would have had before you quit, magian weapons included. It's definitely on the low end as far as current stuff but there's nothing better for getting your foot in the door, so you don't get completely catch-22'd out of getting on the way to actual good gear.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hagie posted:

I wish I could use Windower. It does NOT get along with my system.

Looking for some skill up location suggestions. I am currently around 158 on marksmanship for Cor, maxed out at 99.

I have the skill + head, body, hands, legs, feet, and I have a some ranged acc rings. Suggestions?

One important thing about Windower is to turn off the built-in windowed mode functionality from the vanilla game. poo poo gets hosed if the game's trying to be pulled into a window in two different ways.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As a general rule no, MMO situational awareness is kinda designed around a third-person view, so autotargeting aside it's not doing you any favors.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It would make more sense if the third wave damage thing was "be in a group that did X damage" as opposed to "personally did X damage".

For all I know it is, though that would be uncharacteristically kind of the FF11 Development Intern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Ditto for equipment, is it foolish to rely on vendor gear for leveling or does it not matter as the pace is so fast now? Should I be doing the whole saving up for particular pieces and getting a spatha/armor every couple levels?

Kibner posted:

For gear, you can use those shards you get from RoE at a vendor to buy some decent leveling gear.

Also, you don't need to worry too much about personal gear while leveling - trusts scale to your level and they're always effectively up to date on their gear and skills.

Once you hit 99, trusts do scale further based on the item level of your gear, plus you'll, ya know, want to actually care about gearing up at max level. But don't kill yourself staying geared in the meantime.