Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FileNotFound posted:

Equinox is the best frame in the game for any content sub lvl 20. By far.

Enter mission. Press 4. Walk to the exist. Do 98% of the damage because some dude managed to shoot something once.

With that said - it's not exactly a "thrilling" frame to play when built like this - but if absolute efficiency is what you are after - she can't be beat in low tier.
as someone new who's been playing vanilla excalibur to lvl 30 for 2 days and has been trying to unlock the jumpgate challenges, these kind of smurfs are the absolute worst/boring to run into. Thankfully the beginner playerpool seems deep enough that blocking/avoiding players isn't a necessity (also i don't even know if that's something you can do, besides going friends/solo only).

also the shift ctrl space (space?) e combo is giving my pinky a real workout, do people use custom keybinds to make that less straining or just tough it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FileNotFound posted:

You're running into people who are trying to finish their nodes for Arbys.

Trust me, I don't want to be doing lvl 15 content at all - but game forces me to in order to crack relics/nitain alerts etc
I don't know what the means exactly but i'm guessing the game has these concurrent objectives which collide with those given to other players and they can't be done solo? That's puzzling design.
though i guess only a mild inconvenience as most missions are incredibly short or without penalty for leaving.

It's a bit odd to me that after hitting max rank on your class and weapons, estimating a random players build strength is entirely opaque beyond the obvious "incredibly gaudy/expensive looking colors probably knows a thing or two(hundred) about the top meta builds". Suicidal glass cannon without mods that runs off on their own into a meatgrinder of death? Highly specialized top tier mods build that clears and finishes the map before you can drop out of the loading screen? Only time will tell.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
How far is 1000 plat going to get me if i'm mostly going for absolute essentials like slots and potatoes? got a discount to get that for like 13 bucks, which seems like an alright few bucks to drop now that i'm a few dozen hours in and still diggin it

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
alright sunk in for 25 bucks and got the 2k pack in case i feel the game's dying on me and i really need a new frame panic button to spice things up (i've never used boosters in anything ever). Which is about what i spent on PoE which i got a couple hundred hours of casual zen out of. Now that's a game with a convoluted upgrade/currency/skillgrid system.

What's the deal with the real money fancypants skins with credited creators? Do those people get a cut of every purchase?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 14, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That's neat to hear, some obvious talent went into that stuff

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
also this may be the dumbest rookie question but is there really no way to save the password every time you start up the game? the only thing this does is to encourage me to use the same password i have on my luggage (as opposed to the randomized 32 char hex passwords i usually keep in my password safe).

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Media Bloodbath posted:

It's way better value to buy the prime versions off players.
Yeah i was gonna check out everything from the .market or whatever sites to compare if it ever comes to that.
Is that stuff scammer safe or will i have watch out for trades with russianTradeBot3829_notviru$ or will people randomly ask for sweeteners or scummy crap like that

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zero VGS posted:

Are there any times where a mission's default difficulty in this game is actually hard? Not counting survival/excavation where it just makes the mobs spawn at higher and higher levels, or hard because bugs or AI stop you from finishing the mission. I'm talking enemies that are super scary off the bat who you need to take cover for (or at least run and gun with health restoration like the new Doom).
Limited rookie perspective (freewheeling build about to hit phobos) but the only times i've gone down so far was solo-ing bosses for the first time without knowing their invuln gimmicks or nightmare missions that combine no-shields with toxic AoE enemies. Also some void fissures seem to spit out lvl 35+ enemies that can eat me up in seconds when i miss that they're there.

Then again i also just got my hands on some new weapons so having a 3 vs my max rank starters might skew things a bit.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I bought saturated colors and the gaudiest silly cape i could find so i've already run out of dumb ways to spend stuff. I've got some frame plans now but i'm still planet-locked away from the places the required materials (control modules and sensors) drop. I've been trying a handful of weapons but none seem as fun and fitting to my playstyle than the shotgun (despite its awful name). Is it a terrible idea to just sell those (non-potatoed) weapons that don't gel with me at all to free up the slots or is re-getting them more of a pain/expensive than the slot they take up? Should i keep them around for when i keep other frames that have better synergies?

I also tried to look up how to get potatoes "regularly" and apparently the blueprint alone is a 2.5% drop for a daily quest that you can only access near the end-game? Guess that makes the stuff i'm after look downright limitless.

Also i've been completely neglecting mods (or upgrading them) and been mostly coasting on auto-filling them every now and then. Just from how overwhelming that system is i can tell it's going to be the majority of character building, but right now it seems half the options are either destructive (as i have no idea what mods are safe to melt down/merge to the next tier) or possibly too expensive for the drain/upgrade trade-off. I assume duplicates are safe to melt down but maybe i got an expensive one that's better for trading (very unlikely)? Game doesn't seem to give any pointers, most of the tutorials i find mostly explain what the systems do but not why and when to do it. Granted, that'S probably too situational/build dependent anyway.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 15, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
How engaging is the mining? I get that fishing is a zen thing, and i don't mind smashing random deposits while i'm flying through my missions (and occasionally, the deposits), but mining sounds like "pointing at a thing and holding a button" which would feel like a total pace killer where i'm not doing sick tricks on my hoverboard or chaotically spinning into random level geometry.

Speaking of engaging, i love how impactful the shotguns feel and that they send smaller mobs flying. Among the 200+ weapons (or frame abilities), which ones are the closest to feeling like a quake 3 railgun or rocketlauncher (if any)?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 15, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

nerdz posted:

So far today the end game of melee is using the melee attack while sliding because not only it's rather consistent between all melee weapons, it speeds you up instead of slowing you down and hits 360 degrees around you for a huge AoE.
I've been enjoying the staff a lot but after a while it seems to just boil down to this. The airslam looks great but has a long and painful recovery, the airdash downward is a bit unreliable to aim (at least for me). It's still fun to mix it up with shotgun blasts and abilities.

Tortolia posted:

I've been on both sides of the archwing mobility issue and I've only ever been angry when someone was deliberately not helping and being a prick about it.
Most times i've ended up in "1% damage probably means i came to the wrong neighbourhood/squad" moments was when the game auto-joined me while i was freeroaming on my hoverboard. And at least as a scrub-tier-modded excalibur i still have my 2 AoE stun which at least makes it sorta look like i'm helping (or gives me time to revive someone actually doing the fighting). Haven't intentionally jumped into stuff way above my paygrade yet.

I'm kinda wondering if there's a viable 4 build for that frame that lets me sustain or mitigate the energy drain without having a dedicated support player pocketing me. Which would seem even more ridiculous than doing nothing but slide-melee.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

alphabettitouretti posted:

There aren't loads of rocket launchers.
Thanks, i'll keep those in mind!

Weapon and mod pools seem so staggeringly massive that going for a specific one via random drops or merging seems like an insane route, though i guess that's where trading (or knowing specific specialized rewards) comes in.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 16, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I finally unlocked the first branch of the void and the last mission there dropped me 3 argons (which might be a lot or nothing). Sadly i can't actually do any of the blueprints they'd be used for because i'm missing other stuff and the wiki says they get deleted in 2 days. Guess there's no other use for them?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Substandard posted:

I made atomos with 2 of mine yesterday and it has been awesome so far. It requires MR 5, and didn't require anything else too weird component wise.
I don't think i know that or have the blueprint for it. Considering i installed the game 3 days ago MR5 is still timer limited for me (stuck on 4). And i just sunk all my plastids into mag and nyx parts so now i'm blocked there for a bit.

I'm just surprised because i had like 3 drop in a 10 minute defense mission, which seemed entirely trivial. Did i just get lucky/have a teammate with +2000% droprate build or are they actually just that easy to pick up?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Are these dev streams generally spoiler free (besides the obvious feature displays)? I know this may be a really silly question to ask on page 2000+ of a megathread older than time of a loot space ninja game but i'm just wondering what the tone of them usually is.

e: god that top menu is so teasing, want to click all those buttons

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I mean this year has like... 6 weeks left. "Next year" isn't particularly specific there.

e: these devs are horrible monsters

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 16, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
i always autoskip by hitting space twice

and i've run into a few silly glitches but nothing mission breaking yet. Do missions - infinite ones aside - get way longer later in the game? I'd kinda bummed if my mastery test glitched out but otherwise that's like 5-10 minutes lost at most.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FileNotFound posted:

Speaking of those.....all new players - please realize that you can and SHOULD practice for these in the relays. Most are trivial - but you don't want to be caught off guard by some of the rougher ones.
I really dont know why they hid that away on a specific location that the game never really makes you visit on another hidden sublevel in a side room. Instead of just having the "practice" option right there in the menu on your ship. Had to go through 3 wiki pages just to find it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Today i learned that in a defense mission if you vote to continue and the other 3 people vote not to, the game doesn't just finish the mission because you were outvoted. It dumps you into the next 5 waves. Immediately.

On your own.

Rip those 5 argons and that blueprint drop.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 18, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Well i know that.

Now. :haw:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
How much of the game is actually exclusively locked behind the clan research stuff? Does sharing that stuff just speed things up or is the only other way to get all that stuff to whale it up in that platshop?

I'm very much enjoying the pace and goals of the early game, so i'm shying away from dropping into groups of long term players who'd just skip/fast forward me a ton with gifts of stuff they have 50000 units of just collecting dust.

Besides plastids. Plastids can go gently caress themselves

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 18, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Right, i've been using that and a few others, but i'm still working my way through the star chart so the most optimal locations sometimes aren't accessible yet. Which is okay, i'm sure a few planets down the line i'll be swimming in plastids and cursing some other resource. :) Considering i have 3 frames, multiple weapons, 2 potatoes and a few helmets cooking after my first week i'm not surprised i'm running short on a few things.

I'm mostly running into a few roadblocks of soloing bosses with annoying invincibility patterns or weak points (looking at you Vay Hek) because i keep running out of energy and ammo and then it becomes a silly drawn out swordfight where either of us is too stupid and clumsy to do significant damage to the other.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 18, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I mean the game dropped 2 aura mods for me and i was pretty happy because they gave me more capacity but then i read the wiki comments and apparently i've brought great shame on me and my family and the family dog and all my teammates secretly hated me and were making rude jokes about me behind my back (it was the +max hp and the "make infected walk slower" one). So i'm not particularly shocked that passions can run a bit high at times.

I haven't actually had a bad experience with teammates in game yet, but i'm also not anywhere near the regions where people are assuming anyone knows what the hell they're doing (or where that matters). Still, 30 hours of playing with randoms without any random racial slurs or homophobia is pretty unique.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just had an attempt on the vor+kril fight where i dropped into a full squad wailing on kril, except his first phase weak point never stopped being invincible. Vor was nowhere to be seen. After about 5 minutes most people dropped out, and as soon as i was my own host the weakpoint actually became vulnerable and killed the annoying jerk, but apparently the game forgot that vor had died before the host migration so the scripting never opened the exit. So all i could do was abort and miss out on my cells and blueprints and consider the futility of life. :v:

I can't imagine how obnoxious it must be to run into issues like this on actually hard endgame bosses. Tell me that isn't a common thing that happens?

Hobold posted:

the seemingly persistent, map-wide energy drain aura, that infested can keep up.
god that poo poo is so obnoxious. I guess with the proper mod library you can counter it, but most of the time i'm just sitting on dry after 15+ minutes of various infinite mission types.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 19, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I had this happen during a Sortie Assassination vs Sargus Ruk. At a certain point he never regained a vulnerable phase, and eventually the host quit out, and after the host migration me and the only other player who stuck around were finally able to damage him again.
It's the mission scripting breaking to the point of resulting in a softlocked state that's the cherry on top for me.

Yesterday i had another mission first clip me under the ground (which /unstuck worked for at least) and then softlock on the black "mission completed" result screen for the entire 4 man squad (enemy noises were still audible in the background), with alt f4 being the only way to "proceed" after we let it sit for 5 minutes. I don't even know if it credited us with the rewards or not.

I guess it's not worth fretting over two 10 minute missions among hundreds, but it leaves a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 19, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
so what i'm getting is that i should just buy Ye olde One Trueth Mod for like 10p and max it and put it into everything and never think about it again?

I guess the mod systems easier than i thought after all.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Good to hear, guess i've just had a spotty first week then.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 19, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Good to hear, guess i've just had a spotty first week then.
I must be cursed or something, since this post i've had 2 more bugged krils that never went to next phase despite all pipes being destroyed and a few alerts where all 4 players got forever stuck wiggling their ships on the initial loading screen for 5+ minutes. Usually the game loads in 3-4 seconds from my ssd.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I max-ed my mk1 rifle and staff and didn't run into too many problems but the gamefeel improved dramatically once i got my hands on shotguns, magnum-style handcannons or bows - granted, that's probably a question of personal preference. The atomos feels pretty hilarious as well, but man does it cause a visual mess.

The only plat i've spent so far was on saturated colors (extremely important for goofy colorschemes), a tremendously stupid looking cape (the most expensive and also unnecessary thing) and a bunch of weapon and frame slots. The latter was actually the only reasonable purchase, and i could've cut down on that if didn't build every frame blueprint the moment i get it and just sold maxed weapons that i didn't enjoy at all instead of hoarding them.

I've actually crafted more potatoes than i've used so far because i don't even have the (maxed out) mods to make use of double capacity for most things.

I'm also considering going for the immortal skin pack once i've got most of the frames in it covered, but i really wish there was a way to previous those skins with custom colorschemes.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

DoombatINC posted:

If you go to your frame's appearance tab, you can select a custom skin without buying it and it'll be shown in your frame's current colors. If you want to see what a different color scheme would look like, you have to back out of the skin menu and change them on your frame, then go back into the skin menu - which is inelegant, but at least possible.
Oh cool, that's a bit obscure but does bascially what i was looking for, thanks!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
the real question is: how much plat do i have to spend to be able to do full loops and barrel rolls in the ship loading screen

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Fruity20 posted:

recently building parts for excal currently. i'm just curious how he plays considering what i've seen other excal players do.

also he got a cute butt
He severely spoiled me by being too much fun. His genjiblade straight up feels like they accidentally put the decimal dot of some damage value in the wrong place, and i haven't even bothered to seek out particular build mods for it. his butt stays extremely powerful, Dr ziegler would be proud

Then again i'm getting Rhino in a few hours and people tell me that thing is basically an invincibility autopilot cheat to pluto so i'm probably just speaking from a very limited perspective.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 20, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm now bringing corpro

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

paranoid randroid posted:

i regret to inform everyone that the butterfly wings syndana combined with the titania idle animation set makes it extremely loving hard to see anything while playing a carpet-master oberon

not that its your job to see anything but hey, fair warning
Say no more, I'm sold and will add this to my to do list asap

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've now acquired rhino, the manliest frame just doing buff manly things, and taken into account all expert suggestions from long time goon players

easiest 50 plat i've spent so far

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 21, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just ran into my first Archwing "pursuit" mission and that might be my most hated mission type to solo by about 15000 miles. The target ships weakpoint glitched through rocks constantly, despite "disabling the engines" it still kept going faster than my regular movement, and the mission eventually failed because the ship flew beyond the level border, causing me a game over for "abandoning the target" as it was pushing me along.

Which is odd because i've actually really enjoyed the archwing mission types so far, for how weirdly bolted on and half baked that gamemode feels.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

njsykora posted:

I saw someone this morning losing their poo poo over the Boltor.
Boltor and Bows are pretty fantastic as someone who's been pining for a good ragdoll gun since FEARs "10mm HV Penetrator" stakegun.

Just wait until they discover what the arrows do to enemies (or rather, their immediate ragdolls) on the large freeroam open world areas. First time i notice i basically spent an hour just doing that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 21, 2018

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Today i learned a valuable lesson about nyx('s 1 ability)
https://clips.twitch.tv/GentleColorfulConsoleTBTacoRight
mainly that she's a horrific remorseless monster and the enemies trying to kill her are probably the ones we should be rooting for

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Sandweed posted:

Some people can't handle the love she brings.
i just wanted to make a bunny friend :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think i just gave up trying to be smart and deliberate and excal blade ulted them whenever i couldn't outrun them, which must have punch through or somehow hit some of the vulnerable hitboxes from most angles just from mashing E. On other frames i just pray whatever CC i have works on them (and hope someone else's does when that's not the case).