Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
The GiantBomb guys are doing a PS4 megastream and they're playing some Warframe right now if you want to see it on PS4: http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Ignis got a huge range and damage boost and it ignores obstacles so you can hose down a hallway and kill everything 30 metres in front of you.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Save you platinum for weapon and frame slots. Always. Maybe, maybe a single reactor/catalyst if you find a warframe or weapon you absolutely adore (they can make progressing to a given sector/planet way easier), but you're better off saving it to let you acquire more gear without having to throw poo poo away while you get a better feel for the game. You also likely won't have enough mods for it to matter for a while. It's not hard to unlock and craft lots of frames and weapons relatively easily and having that extra space is handy, especially if they've upped the starter platinum to 150 for PS4.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Crowbear posted:

So what's a good set of pistols to shoot for? I spent a bunch of crap making a Seer and I'm reaalllly not a fan of it.

I just shot you an invite to the PS4 clan.

In terms of pistols that can be acquired easily (ie; through the market as a blueprint), Kunai and Hikou are both great, but a bit awkward to use because they've got a high rate of fire but are still semi-auto (insofar as knives can be). Dual Vasto is also pretty great, excellent damage and accuracy and a good reload. They're a bit of a bitch to build as they require a ton of Neurodes so I hope you like farming Hek).

In almost every case where there's a 'twin/dual' version of the gun it's better to get that than to use the regular version, but if you can it's a good idea to first get the single version to 30 for mastery before crafting the dual set.

Once you've got a bio lab going and can research it, the Acrid is basically King of Pistols, though. That poo poo is just silly right now (armor piercing, stacking acid damage DoT :unsmigghh: ) but maybe it won't be after the new damage model.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
No, you give Carrier a blue, dark blue and yellow colour scheme and he's Air Man.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Oh my god, Berserker's skills look terrible. A grappling hook is ok, but two debuffs focused on melee and an ultimate that gives her hulk hands? :gonk:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Sighence posted:

Oh goddamnit DE.

That said, nobody else I've explained this to that plays knows why this could be taken badly either. It's entirely possible they don't themselves.

Yeah, that was my reaction when I saw it too. It's definitely something you kinda have to be looking for, but man. :ughh:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

NmareBfly posted:

Hey, here's another 'what the hell am I doing?' posts. I played for a decent chunk right when the open beta came out, then drifted off when I hit rank 30 on a few things and didn't want to grind up from the low levels again. Picking it back up now for some mindless manshooting after work. I got in the clan, made a key, and wandered around in the dojo for a little while last night copying blueprints -- I didn't mess anything up by doing that, right?

I still have missions to do everywhere so I'm not lacking in levels to unlock, but is there anything in particular here that I should be focusing on? Apparently the boltor is now awful so I should replace it with one of the clan weapons? Is weapon choice mainly a matter of what looks cool or should I be worried about min / maxxing already?

The blueprints from the dojo can be copied an unlimited number of times. You actually have to for the various components (Fieldron/Detonie/Mutagen).

I'd just focus on getting everything up to 30 and try to constantly be getting new warframes as they're the single largest individual contributors to your mastery and also generally the easiest thing to level. What I would usually do is farm one, set it to building, then use that frame to farm the next one. Depending on how hard you poopsock you can generally keep your warframes constantly gobbling up experience.

As for weapons, a good general strategy is to keep at least one 'good' gun while you level a crappier one. The crappy one will sponge up experience (at a slightly lower rate because it relies on your alies for kills; any kills by your other weapons or your skills give it nothing) until it has room for a few mods to make it not so terrible. There is nothing worse than using three lovely weapons at once (Vectis, Cestra, Lecta and a low-level sentinel :gonk: ).

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Schubalts posted:

"They locked you out? That's cute."

Don't you see? This is all a lead-in to adding announcer packs for Warframe. I would pay to have Rucks tell me about incoming assault squads. :allears:

"The Tenno just rages for a while."

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Fish Noise posted:

But this is Warframe, so they're going to see "Ruks" instead and you're going to get a dozen Sargas Ruk clones fighting for the mic and yelling over each other.

I would be fine with that, honestly.

I would also be fine with a Ruks announcer as well.

"Corpus Walker comes! Grind into death!"

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Helter Skelter posted:

Yes. They totally overhauled the UI with U11 and are still working out the kinks. Expect a certain degree of bustedness for a while.

At least joining a group while in the arsenal no longer locks you out of using the arsenal!

The UI has always been something to struggle against so I'll be pleasantly surprised when that changes, but I'm not expecting much any time soon.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Male Man posted:

I'm starting to lose hope that they'll figure out we want always-visible chat with multiple channels (squad, clan, PMs) in the same tab. And also that the chat window should respect focus because Goddamn it is 2013.

They need to realize that there is no good place for the chat window in their UI. It's all focused around being slapped in the centre from the massive solar map through all of the other windows. They need to shrink some of the more gigantic stuff and offset it so there's a clear spot for the chat window. There's so much having your cake and eating it too going on in the UI.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Randler posted:

I'm a tremendous idiot. I forged a Boltor and wanted to equip it. Then I clicked the "Buy with Platinum" Boltor and just clicked through the dialog because the first one was "You need to buy Weapon Slots, do you want to buy weapon slots?" :doh:

You mean you crafted a Boltor then bought a second one with platinum? Contact support, they'll probably refund it.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there a way to 'reset' an account and re-select my initial Frame, even if it means starting again? I'm not finding Excalibur very fun. A bit too straightforward for my tastes.

There was an account reset a few months ago, but I believe that was only for a limited time so that people who had been playing for a long time could reset their platinum for particularly bad choices when the game was a very different beast.

If you just want to switch over to something like Mag you should be able to farm up the parts relatively easily on Mars by killing Nef Anyo a bunch. It's a fairly early planet so there are usually people running him for Mag parts or Gallium.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Thanks to the new Cernos, I now have a golf bag of bows for every single occasion in the game. All other primary weapons can go into the trash because poo poo just ain't as fun as bows. Paris Prime, here I come.

I would love it if they could implement some universal sets so I can switch between a frame and weapons in one click. It since to be able to create multiple per-weapon configs, but now that guns have more specific roles it's not as useful to be able respec them. I'll never use a gun that does 90% of its damage via slash to fight Grineer because that's silly when I can just get some piercing weapons ready.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Murodese posted:

Hrm, doesn't seem to work for me.

Don't know why the warframe starter kit isn't on the EU/AU PSN store either :sigh:

Probably because of having to run through Sony for everything. Even if Sony has opened their platform dramatically they're still a second layer of interference compared to the PC. Even if you technically run the game through Steam all you're really doing is launching the Warframe launcher which connects to DE's CDN providers so they can drop tiny bits of content, bug fixes, etc. every couple of days.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Fish Noise posted:

I knew about "some sort of aiming weirdness" in Dark Sector because of the LP, and GIANT SPOCK in general because of the birgirpall video. In Warframe, though, I only noticed an occasional tendency to shoot past an enemy I was aiming at when up reeeeal close to them when I first started playing, which I soon dismissed and adjusted for after a while (stopped aiming at point blank ranges).

Yeah, point-blank aiming is really skewed and is exacerbated by projectile weapons. I was leveling my Cestra and when my gun was basically in a dude's chest the bolts would go whizzing past. It's less noticeable with hitscan weapons but it's there; you still miss, but you can't actually watch the projectiles not hit the target.

Dapper Man posted:

One of the comments stuck out to me, "It's, well a passable game, I've cranked about 500 hours into it."

Warframe works because it's simple and not terribly difficult. It's great for abnegation-type gameplay because you don't have to think at all. Turn the corner, shoot the grineer, rinse repeat. The enemy AI never really requires you to do much to compensate. Compare that to a more involved FPS (especiall PvP ones) like Battlefield and there's just way more going on. Warframe is videogame empty calories.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Fish Noise posted:

In the last thread, I distinctly remember comparisons to Monster Hunter.

God no, that would imply fun bosses.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

amuayse posted:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/142881-the-five-stages-of-warframe/?p=1694011
tl;dr Warframe gets boring once you get the stuff you want, and has no good endgame. Truth be told, Power Rangers in Space does get a little thin after you start getting lots of the shiny stuff.

This post was linked in that thread and is also a pretty good read: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/137875-a-complete-rework-of-the-foundation-of-warframe/

It gets a little bit wishlist-y at points, but I really like some of the points like 'get rid of serration-type "required" mods' and 'all warframe powers should be baseline'. If you ever have a player going into a level without all of the class powers you have failed as a designer.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 4, 2013

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

The Jumpoff posted:

That reminds me, what is the significance of that intricate design next to the credits? Is that a skill ranking or what?

It was the icon used for the original survival event and was a score assigned based on how long you stayed in. I have no clue what it means anymore.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
No, you see, the new invasion mechanic will encourage you to spend even more time in derelicts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:suicide:

I just realized how loving terrible this will make a) farming Phorid (depending on how easy it is to shitstomp an invasion) and b) get codex entries for stuff like crawlers. Christ.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, buying Forma isn't something anyone should ever do. You will slowly but surely acquire void keys and then you will be making GBS threads forma out your eyes. I'm currently sitting on five finished forma and 8 blueprints. I've forma'd maybe 10 things so far and donated about 10 to the clan dojo.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
There were only two 'warframes' in Dark Sector and they look vaguely like Excalibur and Nyx. There was a Stalker, Jackal, and a guy that looked like an Grineer, but nothing like any of the other warframes.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Don't even bother with the steam rewards right now. It's day one, nobody really has much of anything so everything is massively overpriced just like during the summer sale. In 1-2 days the trading cards will be 8-9 cents and the actual items will likely only cost a couple of bucks. Consider that in just the first six hours 1600 syandanas have been crafted.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I seriously doubt it. The platform specifies Windows and Sony will probably want it to go through their system so they get a cut. It's possible we might see codes in the future like how Microsoft would sell MS Point Packs, but I wouldn't expect those codes to work.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Sleepy Owl posted:

Isn't Volt kind of hard to get now?

A bit. He's now just a drop from survivals that last 20+ minutes.

Cowcaster posted:

About 80% of the time, a warframe's ultimate power is the one you want to use the most and their first power is just wasting energy that could be used to fuel said warframe's ultimate power.

Yeah, pretty much. They seem to be gunning for the DotA model of four abilties that do various things, but they kinda missed the point. First off, the abilities aren't balanced very well and usually don't have much benefit for use (hello Super Jump), but they also fail to take into consideration things like ranged vs. melee, support vs. damage vs. carry. Warframes are increasingly samey because there's so little to define them aside from 1-2 really good powers.

Except Rhino who is a god king. Come on, DE, stop loving around and give us Rhino Prime. :unsmigghh:

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 20, 2013

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Pierson posted:

Twin Vipers are hilarious fun when you give them Speed Trigger by the way. You do need to give them the magazine size- and total ammo-increasing mods though or they'll become nice paperweights very quickly. Can't wait for my Wraiths.

I'll be getting another Vermillion antitoxin soon and I'll hang onto it in case shiftless layabout scrounger takers who don't wanna farm need their 100 points.

Twin Vipers are the single best example of how DE has given absolutely no fucks about ammo balance. Is there any other gun of any type that can run dry as fast?

I hope the Wraith version has an even higher fire rate. :unsmigghh:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, seems like the cone is inverted compared to an Ignis. You'll hit more targets close up but you can still zap thingies at a moderate range.

Whatever, more mastery for the mastery god.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Cathair posted:

DERebecca explicitly stated "Clarification = Rare Item Drop Chance On Sentinel Death" in a separate post in the Update 13.1.0 thread.

I don't think that means that a dead sentinel provides an x% buff to drop rate. I think it just means 'when your sentinel dies it has an x% chance to drop a rate item'. So, sentinel dies, you get a morphic. Yaaaaay.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

hooah posted:

What are these "prime tokens" that Steve had dumb opinions about?

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. If he means a WoW-style item that can be turned in for different pieces I'm totally down for that. I'd love to not have three ember helmets and instead have a loving systems!

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

McGiggins posted:

Do we really need ninja dogs?

Are you kidding? Of course we do. They will be an utterly broken loving mess for at least a solid two weeks and it will be glorious. "My dog is stuck in the wall." "My Dog is stuck in another dog." "My dog broke...Warframe." "Dogs have been temporarily removed. Hotfix coming soon."

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
The Lanka is a doomcannon. On the other hand, if you charge it up and aim it doesn't have any splash damage like the Ogris so...welp.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Male Man posted:

Bows were overhauled a little while back. Their damage was pumped up across the board and they all have 5m of penetration when charged, exactly as the Lanka. The better bows (Paris Prime, Dread) have a much higher crit than Lanka, though the Lanka wins out in raw base damage.

Err, I think you're confusing the Lanka (chargeable Corpus sniper rifle wuth insanely high potential damage per shot) with the Cernos (impact damage bow).

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I haven't really been paying attention to this game for a few months, but are kubrows really just tamagotchis? I mean, this is DE so terrible designs like this are de rigueur, but yeesh. I might make one just to watch it slowly die, but gently caress them if they think I'm going to soak any amount of time and money into keeping a stupid ninja dog alive.

That said, I like what I've seen of the update so far. I chose to play through the prologue so I'm still muddling through getting access to stuff again, but I like the idea of the ship even if some of the new interfaces are kinda clunky (looking at you, foundry interface where my body blocks the left half of the screen).

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 29, 2014

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I could use a copy of the base blueprint if you've got one. Been sitting on like four different prime items that only need one more part. ~RNG~

e: Excellent, thanks.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 8, 2014

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Are Resource Extractors worth using at all? I was thinking about fiddling with them once I get a new set of guns.

Yes, of course. They can be used to lightly supplement materials you don't have. You should make 50% more than your maximum capacity (if you can use two, build 3) and rotate them out so they have time to repair.

In my case I can keep four out so I've got 3 regular extractors running on Mercury, Venus and Uranus to gather polymer bundles (the only resource I ever find myself lacking) and a distilling extractor running on Saturn because one day I swear I will actually get an Orokin Cell (hahah, no I won't).

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 14, 2014

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, apparently it changes it from a 2% chance to a 5% chance, but I don't need any other resource so I might as well waste one of my four slots trying to get something worthwhile.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Pierson posted:

Can someone explain the Sony certification process and why it takes so long? I had assumed it was 'Sony checks your patch to make sure it won't gunk up their console or network', maybe via an internal testing network or something, but two months seems pretty nuts.

So when people say 'cert' they're usually conflating two things: cert and compliance. Cert is what first parties do. Sony, Microsoft, Valve, etc. anyone with a platform, sets a bunch of guidelines like 'thing x must behave like so,' and 'game must not crash when left to soak for 24 hours.' That's certification. The first parties do not give a hot poo poo about what your game plays like and what sort of crap your title update is adding as long as it meets those basic requirements and doesn't cause any new horrible issues. They'll usually notify you of bugs, but as long as your bugs aren't breaking the cert requirements, you're good.

The other thing is compliance. This is all internal to a studio (unless you're getting assistance from a first party as Sony and Microsoft sometimes do for big name games from little studios) and is done by a subset of QA whose job it is to make sure that when a build is passed along to the first party, it doesn't get sent back. That poo poo is expensive. Compliance will generally flag any possible issue they can if they think it could gently caress up the actual first party cert.

Given how loving buggy and messed up DE's poo poo tends to be I'm guessing a large majority of the delays are coming from compliance rather than Sony's cert process. I've never had the pleasure of dealing with first party cert stuff directly, but it's usually fairly rote. A good compliance team will throw tons of poo poo back at you, though.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

lewtt posted:

no lato prime, no problems

are you as cool as this dude?

What the poo poo? I was supposed to have been given some terrible bandana? I never received an email about this horrible garbage! I am so angry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
God, this new UI. It's prettier sure, but there are so many places where it's categorically worse in terms of accesibility. At absolute best it's a wash, but so many of the important visual cues I relied on previously are just gone or hugely understated (comparatively) now. So much wasted space.