Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Huh. My game went pear-shaped in an interesting way.

I got to the besieged fort where you meet Khalid, talked with him and some others, he told me to speak to some important-sounding NPCs and walks off. I run around a bit exploring and get to the point where the magical boulder crashes through the building and you're sent off to find a scroll and deactivate it. As the boulder hits, I notice a Khalid: Death among the other deaths from its crashing down, and I don't think much of it since who cares about Khalid right? Besides, I do the quest moving the corpses and I can't see his body or loot anywhere so maybe it was just the game being weird anyway.

Well, apparently you're actually supposed to talk more to Khalid for the quests in this place. And he sure isn't anywhere to be found in this fort. There doesn't appear to be any alternate people to talk to in order to progress the plot in any route, so...I guess I'm stuck antagonizing the Crusaders and hope I can beat the entire camp now? This'll be fun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's extremely weird to me that there have been no D&D games that play like Shadowrun Returns.

I tried Shadowrun Returns and the game refused to let me cast spells even though they were sitting there taunting me in the UI, looking like all the world like a castable spell in literally any other RPG, so I never made it past the first mission.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm, I went to Dragonspear and saved Skie from those mercs, but now she won't talk to me and I can't progress the quest it seems. Annoying.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Gotta say, realizing the bridge questline had bugged out, walking up to the Crusader camp, lobbing a Cloudkill at the entrance followed by a second one, and fighting like 50 enemies, half of which died before getting near the party and the other half engaged in a protracted pitched-battle was very cathartic. Also the first time I've actually bothered with Cloudkill in an IE game for as long as I remember, usually most fights end in a couple rounds and then I want to quicksave but ugh that pesky Cloudkill/Stinking Cloud/Web/Entangle/whatever is still there and preventing me from saving. So I never use them. But this time the fight was big enough to justify it!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sure I do. It may involve a lot of Wands of Fire/Oils of Fiery Burning though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So, are you supposed to be able to interact with the dying Myconid in the underground river map? If so it seems I have bigger issues with my game than Skie not wanting to chat apparently...

E: that's weird, going by it a third time finally triggered a talk. Oh well, I won't complain.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

It should initiate dialogue as soon as a character comes near it. I think Skie should also talk to you on her own after the fight with the mercs.
So, yeah, if those two dialogues not firing are related I guess your game might be broken.

As I noted that one did fire after a bit, I'd actually decided to just ignore it and went into the ruined tower, then went back out and it popped. I spent a long time reloading, waiting and walking around Skie though and no dice. The journal entry for her disappearance completely wipes too, it's fine before I trigger the event then blank afterwards, presumably it's supposed to get filled when you talk again but I'd figure the removal and refill would happen simultaneously - apparently not.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
You usually have a full party of 6 provided to you I believe (I sure did, but I started SoD by killing Sarevok on my BG:EE savefile and being ported over automatically so YMMV) when you start a regular game with just the PC. The create party is presumably meant to just be an easier way of starting the game with ONLY custom companions, like you used to do by starting a Multiplayer game and copying over the save to Singleplayer, and probably assumes you don't need any NPC help. At least, that's the only reasonable explanation I can think of, I haven't actually tried it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Karmalaa70 posted:

Beamdog will be 'improving' the transgender NPC's writing and removing Minsc's easter egg line.

The whiners win.

Even if I disagree with it, I can understand removing the Minsc line just to get things to blow over. But I'm not exactly sure what they're supposed to rewrite or how.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Absolutely.

I'm also pretty sad that Schael Corwin isn't a NPC in BG2. I didn't really like Neera, Dorn or Rasaad but Corwin is fantastic so far and it makes me sad that she's Dragonspear-only. I'd pay to have her as a BG2 NPC, too.

Definitely true. I don't mind most of the EE companions really, but Corwin's the only one I've really liked. I found Neera okay after a very poor first impression too, Baeloth is entertaining enough but a bit hammy, never really had any issue with Rasaad or Hexxat (even if the latter had a lot of bugs in her quests when I brought her along, just after BG2EE launched) but they're kind of boring, and I'm using Dorn for the first time in my current playthrough and to be honest he's insufferably annoying. Not used any of the other SoD NPCs yet but not had great first impressions of them - goblin lady seems okay but first impression was boring in the vein of Rasaad/Hexxat, while the other two made quite poor first impressions. But Corwin is definitely great so far, better than at least any of the 'serious' companion in the original games to be honest except maybe Mazzy.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I haven't played NWN since like 2006 (and never beat it or played the allegedly much better expansions but that's neither here nor there) but isn't the game really really (really) ugly? I dunno how much an enhanced edition could help that. Even NWN2 looks pretty drat ugly nowadays, although it's not quite so bad I couldn't play it or anything.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So what do you do with the barrel of BWOOSH? I can't see any container to put it in, and dropping it on the ground didn't do anything, even when I walked off. Can't force-attack it with fire arrows a la IWD2 explosive barrels either. I'm lost!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Finally finished SoD, it was good! Gotta echo wondering what was up with that locked door(!?) in the epilogue though, that area was a bit weird overall. The choice of VA, or perhaps rather the VA's directions, for Entar was quite unfortunate, but other than him I thought the VA work overall was quite nice. The story was pretty well-done too. It was a bit funny to have my CN charname with mostly neutral and evil companions be greeted by Jaheira (and maybe if he wasn't dead, Khalid?) who hadn't actually joined my party once throughout either BG1 or ToB be the person waiting with Imoen at the end but I do understand that the opening to BG2 didn't leave much other choice if they were dead set to end SoD on the ambush. Not a huge fan of that decision since my poor PC deserved a little downtime between SoD and SoA to relax a bit, but it's a pretty minor thing. For the main plot, one thing that rankled a bit was disrupting the dark ritual under Dragonspear and finding the scroll detailing Hephernaan's involvement in dark Necromancy, as well as having the ghostly Dragon ask me to discuss it with Caelar. Followed by taking the lift into the castle and interrupted Hephernaan clearly doing shady stuff and his chat with Belhifet clearly mentioning infernal business from what I recall. And at no point during dialogue and confrontations with Caelar afterwards did I have an option to bring it up! After having both of those things happen I was so sure I'd be calling him out and revealing his shadiness in front of her, but no such thing. Given the game actually hands you evidence in the form of this aforementioned scroll it seems kind of weird, but oh well.

When it comes to NPCs, I was a little disappointed that Skie was the only companion with any kind of side-story going on, since I thought the overall set-up of SoD could really have put other non-recruitable companions to work - who couldn't see Kagain joining up as a merc (even for the other side!), or Ajantis renouncing Caelar's blasphemy and fighting her, or Yeslick helping Baldur's Gate in his effort to help those affected by the Cloakwood Mines situation he blamed himself for? Granted they wouldn't be central to the plot like Skie was, but there were plenty of space for them as camp-cameos or minor questgivers or the like. I did like that my party had plenty of interjections and reactions, even if sadly no quests related to them. I wasn't a big fan of Dorn in either BG:EE or SoD, so I'll probably leave him by the wayside if I continue through BG2:EE. Viconia and Edwin had some nice extra characterization, but Safana was sadly very disappointing and by far the least characterized of my party-members despite her being the new 'default' thief and suitable for all party-alignments. Corwin was great and I'm stuck between wishing she got patched into BG2:EE even though I know the work and cost means it's not gonna happen, and recognizing that her story and interactions with the PC was done quite well ending with SoD, and as a loyal Flaming Fist it would be quite tough for her to reasonably have either the time or inclination to run around in Amn and Tethyr with us. Still, I can always dream, right? Especially given the lack of dedicated archers (non-capital A) in BG2 - basically every character I usually set to shooting things are really doing it part-time and usually fire with poo poo THAC0 while conserving spells, and Rangers like Minsc and Valygar are clearly set up as primarily melee characters as are all the Fighters and Paladins. She'd fill a niche dammit! Oh well, I digress

I was happy the game had lots of fun items, even if some of the less populated item slots like gloves and belts had items stronger than most stuff you find in SoA or even ToB. At least the weapons and armor stayed fairly reasonable. Sadly my PC was a dedicated axe-used with Grandmastery and everything so not finding a single +3 Axe in all of SoD meaning I had to rely on Dorn - who got HIS +3 weapon even before SoD the lucky fucker - and my archers +3 arrows to kill the final boss rankled a bit. Overall definitely worth the price, and I didn't think it was a step down in quality from the original games in the ways that matter, even if the far more linear progression wasn't entirely Baldur's Gate-y, for lack of a better term. Had a lot of fun with it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I started my latest BG1 run before SoD and not even planning around it, aiming for a Berserker(9)->Cleric. Well, I realized I didn't want to spend all of SoD as a wimp and just stuck to Berserker throughout, so I guess I'll just use EEKeeper to set my MC back to level 9 and Dual once I continue into BG2. Not any time for that yet, now that DS3 is out!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pierre McGuire posted:

Great, thanks. I'm assuming the game will hand me a useful tank or two in the interim? (my PC is a kensai i'm dual-classing to druid so my party is quite squishy on the whole)

If you don't mind Good characters, there's Minsc and Khalid (I've never tried making Jaheira tank in BG1 but I imagine without the good high-level defensive spells she's pretty bad at it). If you do, well you're out of luck, Dorn's sub-100 HP halfway through is the only option you even get I think? Thankfully I had a Berserker PC who could take a beating and wisely decided not to dual during SoD myself.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So, I decided I wanted to attempt a solo run through BG2/ToB, which I've never really tried before. So I rolled up a good old reliable F/M/T in BG1 for it. I just did a completionist run of 1 when SoD came out, and basically all my runs end up having to do EVERYTHING, so for once I decided to just speed through - not doing any TotSC or SoD stuff, just gonna beat Sarevok and then import to 2. I'm making liberal use of CTRL+J too for backtracking, haha.

So I finished Candlekeep redux fairly fast because my character had a crappy Strength roll so I wanted the tome, and then zoomed back to Baldur's Gate to do a few more subquests and item-gatherings. First thing I did was go grab the Cloak of Balduran, before talking to anyone main-quest relevant. I hadn't remembered Slythe and Krystin would be there immediately now, but I figured whatever, killed them, copied their notes and went on with my business.

Well now I'm ready to continue, but all the main quest stuff is telling me to go to the Undercellar to find Slythe and Krystin? Obviously I go there and there's nada, since I already killed them. The guard won't let me into the Ducal Palace either despite having the invitation in my journal, do I have to start digging up console commands here?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah the content of the EEs is variable (though SoD itself is awesome) but stuff like the easy AI toggles for stuff like find traps and turn undead rather than having to download and use scripts that kept breaking anyway for me, or the zooming which is really nice, makes them more than worth it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I gotta wonder why they thought non-kit Thief was the best choice for her, her bonuses are so situational as to be near worthless anyway. The one time I used her I Shadowkeepered her into an Assassin and she was still probably the weakest member of my party in combat (granted I was using mostly the powerful NPCs that run, but still). It's like Rasaad in BG1 level of shittiness except at least there's no easy fix for him, without making him overpowered in BG2 and on.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

kujeger posted:

Because they are both examples of pixel art. By your logic one person making a lovely acrylic means all art made using acrylics is pointless poo poo, and they should just get their head out of their rear end and take photos like real people already.

edit: Look, I get that you think SitS in particular works very badly (which is perfectly fine; I don't think it works too well either, particularly the interface as people point out), and that you don't much like pixel art in general. There are art styles I don't like too. That does not mean any art style I don't like is a waste of time and people should stop making it.

But the argument was never about pixel art and whether something drawn with pixels can look good, it was specifically about using pixel graphics in video games.

Personally I think some games with old-fashioned pixel art look okay, but even having grown up with the style and having nostalgia for it I'll probably not look at your game if you used pixel graphics in 2016.

E: For reference my arguemnt is 'pixel art can look good but not even 1 in 100 games made with pixel art has the interest or time/money to try and look anywhere near as good as the examples above, or good at all'. I can't remember ever playing a game with pixel art on that level, even if I've played a few where it looks fine.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 26, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I'm kinda tired of replaying IE games for now and was thinking of grabbing the NWN bundle since I never really played those back when they came out. I did actually own both 1 and 2, but I never finished either (or really even came close) nor did I ever get any of the expansions. I can't even remember a single thing about NWN 1's main campaign, which is apparently not uncommon. I hear I should probably skip said main campaign, while Hordes of the Underdark generally gets favorable reviews, what about the other two expansions? I see Hordes is a continuation of SoU, so I guess I should at least try playing that one first.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Cool, I'll probably try SoU and then skip it if I find it boring. Aielund Saga sounds interesting, though going all the way from 1 to 40 sounds like it'd be a pretty enormous module.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Are there any must-have mods for NWN 1 or 2 like fixpacks or unofficial patches or the like?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Playing through SoU it's surprisingly fun so far, though there are definitely some less fun things too. I decided to try for an Arcane Archer build since the class looked pretty interesting and relatively simple to build (one of my goals before playing this was not looking up poo poo about the game unless seriously necessary, including trying to figure out what kinda builds are massively OP), and I've mostly enjoyed it, it's felt neither under nor overpowered so far which is nice, although I've only just gotten my first actual Arcane Archer level in the interlude so who knows where it'll go. One thing I definitely appreciate is just how quick you get experience compared to the IE games, it's kinda refreshing and for once I'm not too bothered about this being a shorter than epic-length game either. I kinda regret not picking a spellcasting-focused character, but I still gotta play through NWN2's expansions (and maybe the main campaign if I work up the interest) and maybe try some community modules so plenty of opportunities.

I do have a host of issues with it though. To start with a minor thing, it's kinda nice getting all these Persuade/Intimidate options everywhere, but...it gets kinda repetitive to ONLY see these two skills used in conversation. I assume it's a system thing (I basically have no experience with 3rd edition stuff, except some IWD2 long ago which didn't have tons of dialogue anyway) but it feels very limited and lacking both imagination and proper options for the player. Second off, gently caress these camera controls. I'm actually used to it now at least but sheesh that was rough at the start. Third, I'm not a big fan of Henchmen at all to be honest and vastly prefer properly controlling the progression of my party-members. Also I definitely prefer larger parties if I'm in a ruleset that's still as restrictive as this one. Like, I had some trouble with the Rogue/Cleric companion's AI just kinda shutting down WRT doing Rogue stuff even though I was telling her to do them and on the way to fixing it I came across some info that randomly Rogues are the only ones able to disarm traps over DC whatever, and it's just like...what? Why is it even a skill then? And why would my non-Rogue character ever bring Deekin or that half-orc fellow along and die to every trap? The fact that you don't get any plain jane fighter companion also seemed kinda weird, granted I definitely needed Rogue more even being an archer (thank you point-blank shot) but I can definitely imagine if I was running some fragile Wizard/Rogue set-up or similar I'd be really annoyed at that.

Finally, sometimes the backtracking and slow trudging through the land definitely gets tedious. I guess I've been spoiled by using so many tricks and cheats in IE games to get my party where they need to be ASAP. Wouldn't work so great when I'm playing stuff I haven't seen before though!

E: Forgot to mention, the 3E system somehow feels ten times more confusing in this game than it did in IWD2 to me. A lot of it is lack of easy access to information - where on my character-sheet do I see my damage reductions? Where do I see my attacks per round given you can have modifiers to that beyond BAB but the game seemingly only shows you your BAB-gained attacks? Is there any way in-game of telling what bonuses I have that don't stack without memorizing the rules and looking over each item individually? So far the answers to all of these and more seem to be 'nah'.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 13, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I'm enjoying Hordes of the Underdark fine so far but drat the henchman system is starting to piss me off. Why the gently caress do you have so many skillpoints wasted on Spellcraft and Concentration Deekin? Your Perform is barely 28, WITH stat-boosting items! You need 35 for your level! And now I lose my rogue and get some drow who theoretically has half her levels in Rogue/Assassin but Disable Trap/Open Lock doesn't even show up on her character sheet. Great.

Surely there's some way to edit their skills that google doesn't want to tell me about right? At least I could just cheat myself infinite open lock/disable trap/search in protest but poor Deekin's lagging Perform has no such easy fix.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

If you use Leto you can open up your save file and edit your companions' stats/skills/feats to your taste.

I haven't fiddled with save-editors yet, but this sounds like a worthy cause

And Valen seems lame as hell + my AA already kills poo poo like a machine-gun so I definitely don't need more combat power, which is why I'm real mad my utility henchmen are so bad at utility

E: that was surprisingly simple, now to hope it actually sticks through leveling up and the like

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 20, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man I've been breezing through Hordes of the Underdark (and SoU too) without much challenge at all but chapter 3 is suddenly kicking my rear end. Specifically I just woke up the Sleeping Man and entered his stupid vault for some ring and these skeletons are absolutely demolishing my party. First time I got to the second big skeleton who killed one of my henchmen (I can't remember which) after I went in without any real prep and I decided gently caress that, I'm not wasting a rod of resurrection charge on laziness, time to reload. Now I can't even beat the second spawn of like 8 skeletons. They take about 5 seconds to surround and kill one of my henchmen. This game has some humor calling the skeletal minions merely 'challenging' when I just beat a Dracolich with 'impossible' rating no sweat a little while ago - even with it resurrecting once before I got the phylactery down.

I figured the game was pulling one over me and I didn't figure out the gimmick so I relented to searching to figure out what I was supposed to do, but apparently I'm in fact just supposed to kill these things normally and guides don't even comment on them as difficult in any way? Yikes. It feels like a crazy strange difficulty spike compared to absolutely anything in chapter 2.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm starting Storm of Zehir and it's already annoying in so many little ways. First off, how the hell do you change the order of your party-members? I can live with no formations but I'll be damned if I have to play another minute with my poor tank's portrait under the one of my fragile spell-caster. Even when I boot and rehire them all they seem to join in a random order for some stupid reason.

I'm also struggling mightily with the options menu. First the option to not move the camera to center on a newly selected character just plain refuses to work. I deselect the option just fine, I accept or apply changes or what-have-you, the second I leave the options menu it just turns itself back on like an rear end in a top hat. Definitely the most annoying QoL issue I'm having. Second, for whatever reason the 'rotate camera' hotkeys in character and strategy mode doesn't rotate it at all, only scrolls. I've tried changing the other options like free camera on and off to fix it but no dice. For whatever reason it works perfectly in exploration mode though.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think there's a guide on steam that lists the settings to unfuck the interface in NW2. Never played much of Zehir though so I don't know if they changed anything.

NWN/NWN2 aren't on Steam, are they? Google certainly hasn't been very useful, among other things it gives about 70% of results for other games even when I put "neverwinter nights 2" in there.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sand Dan posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 was on Steam for a few years but it got taken off and now it is exclusively on GOG with slightly more content. D&D games always have crazy mysterious rights issues. A Steam Community Hub still exist though and it's kind of a weird lonely community. https://steamcommunity.com/app/2760/discussions/

Still probably more useful than google.

Looks like I managed to make the center camera option behave somehow (think maybe I had to turn it off in all modes simultaneously for it to work or some poo poo) but the party order continues to weird me out. I can recruit my party one by one and they'll join in the right order all nice and easy...but if I change area or load game, my Cleric who's supposed to be 4th will have mysteriously rocketed up to second instead. I still haven't figured out any other way to change the order of portraits by the way which baffles me given it's always been incredibly easy to do in every other game of this sort I've played (a lot of games). I even removed my UI mod to see if it was loving things up, but nope, no differences without it. Definitely an issue with the character too rather than the slot - no matter the order of my characters, Cleric always moves up to second behind my PC after a load. Weirdest part: game was actually behaving nicely on this for a while after I first started playing and Cleric was staying in 4th, but at some point today this randomly started happening.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The actual gameplay has been pretty fun so far, although gently caress whoever decided that overmap movement shouldn't count every party-member's skills but then also require like a half-dozen skills to work nicely. I at least managed to squeeze both Hide/Move Silently and decent Spot onto one character but I sure don't have room for no Survival so this movement is awfully slow and boring to sit through. I'm not having an issue with party-selection though, whatever function is default keyed to mouse 5 works great to cycle between character and party I find.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Somehow I feel like the boring agony of moving slowly on a video game overworld map and browsing your phone while nothing happens for 30 seconds is not true to the tabletop experience

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I like the EE editions for most things (except mod support anyway, not sure how that is now since I haven't played them in over a year and even then it was basically just SoD on release) but it should be said that the additions and changes to IWD EE aren't terribly well balanced. And you can't exactly avoid them either, especially as a new player who's probably gonna take all the sweet kits etc.

Of course, this is only important if you want an actual challenge and you can always up the difficulty anyway for that, but still.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
For the teamwork feat quests in SoZ, can I just kick my party and rehire mooks to get the quests that my party-leader qualifies for but the rest of my party don't (and then kick mooks into the sun)?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Another SoZ question since I just picked up some crafting fears having run out of important pre-epic feats on a couple characters: where do you find armor enchantments? I've found a ton of Weapon enchantments all over and have actual choice there, but the ONLY non-AC armor enchantment I've found is Spell Resistance. I haven't entered Chapter 3 yet but I've seen basically all of Chapter 2 at this point and as mentioned I've got a bazillion weapon enchantments, so.

Armor crafting feels kinda poo poo without any options.

Also it feels weird that GG enchantments on amazing bases only requires like 10k gold (which is absolutely nothing once you get a little bit into chapter 2) while even half-decent wondrous items require reagents that seem to don't even exist until chapter 3 if at all. Except randomly some require useless stuff instead like +6 Cha reagent is easy to get from level 9 Wisps in Chapter 1. Meanwhile I've never seen the monsters whose reagent-drops are required for any +Int items.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 9, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah even with EE editions there are some glaring holes. Like Clubs has nothing between early SoA and late ToB. Bows basically just get +3 stuff and then at the end of ToB, a +5 bow with tiny boosts for each class (though at least Shortbows get Gesen). Katanas famously top out with a super strong CF in early/mid-SoA and then gets basically nothing from there. Even its ToB super-weapon would look more at home in SoA.

On the other hand 2-handed weapons are loaded. Swords, Halberds, Quarterstaves all not only get crazy good high-end ToB weapons far outstripping the above, but they also basically never have a period of real weakness - they all have strong options available compared to other weapons throughout basically the entire series. Spears are weird in that they kinda just suck up until you get murderweapon #1 halfway through SoA and then never look back. At least pre-ToB they come with fairly big trade-offs.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The BG games aren't overly difficult overall I'd say. In 1, the main difficulty comes from surprise damage-spikes due to the inherent volatility of low-level DnD with low HP and generally low chances to hit. Hence wolves at level 1, and anything that attacks at range and shows up in groups like Kobolds and Archers being the big dangers, with big groups in general posing the threats. Special mention to Sarevok in his near magic-immune glory, although potions tend to tilt the balance of that - without any, your characters are likely just walking meatbags in melee-range of him, but while souped up on performance-enhancing drugs potions you can beat him to a pulp just as quickly as the other way around.

In BG2, on the other hand, you actually run into a lot more dangerous individual characters/monsters and smaller groups, and the danger comes from magic and to a lesser extent general dickishness (like assassins with potions of invisibility) rather than straight-forward pin-cushioning. The thing about this kind of danger is that it's extremely punishing when you don't know it's coming, or don't know what the correct response is, but it's often (though not always) simple to counter when you're experienced with the game. I remember as a kid, mages were my loving bane because I couldn't get their defenses down at all - a combination of many defense-stripping magic having limits like only a chance to work or only stripping 1/2/3 protections, and not knowing that Liches are immune to Breach which meant I kept being certain that Breach didn't actually work at all. That said, sometimes - especially if you're not following some optimal route through the game or running with an optimized party - you're just not gonna have the easy answer at hand, and these kinds of fights can be kinda fun puzzles figuring out the best way to stay alive and win. If you're not DnD experienced, your first playthrough could be pretty challenging though.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 24, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
IE backgrounds were nice but the things on top of them (sprites, unit circles, the fog of war) not so much

Also these days you're often either stuck viewing them more closely than they should be and they look worse for it, or you're playing a game for ants

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Feeling an itch to replay BG2 again, I kinda want to do something at least a little fresh for it though. Are there any better mods for moving items around than the item randomizer? It'd be fun running through the game not knowing where to find the best stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

They’re fantastic at game systems but I’m not super pumped on their writing. Whatever it is I hope it’s good.

Funny my opinion is the opposite. I played D:OS2 (and 1) and I thought the quests were good, the core combat system was good and the writing/characters were fine. But every kind of scaling - stats, skills, item bonuses - was absolutely godawful either at their very core or in execution, maybe the worst I've seen in any games ever. The armor/magic-armor and damage scaling beggared belief in how lovely it was, because they were so much more important than the stats and other bonuses on items and scaled so quickly you could never stick with an item that had nice stats or cool effects unless you wanted to gimp yourself. The generic version with no useful stats at one level higher was just plain better. I disliked the random itemization too in both games, but with the scaling of armor/damage so out of whack it's not like hand-made items would have stuck around any longer so it didn't end up really mattering in 2.

Granted though I haven't played it since about 2 weeks after launch so I dunno what's been fixed up since then. I had some smaller quibbles as well like skill-books not lasting long enough in the game and being stuck with basically no new tools or toys to look forward to way too early into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

frajaq posted:

Thankfully there's a high chance Chris Avellone might be involved to some degree, he took part in D:OS 2 too, albeit a few elements only

Avellone may be able to do good job in a large and weighty role as narrative lead or a primary writer or the like, but absolutely nothing about his Kickstarter adventures have convinced me he brings anything worthwhile to the table in the role of high-profile hanger-on he's generally been hired as since his split with Obsidian.