Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ddraig posted:

Here's a cool little thing for those new to BG2.

Get a Rogue Stone, and go to the Bridge District. There's a house there which you can now enter. Thank me later.

Your party better be pretty drat up there in levels, or you know how to exploit the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rascyc posted:

Which wasn't even true, Obsidian made a mistake and just assumed they weren't allowed to change it from the get-go. Shortly after NWN2 came out, the D&D setting was given a makeover through the books apparently.

Its an honest mistake to make, especially when dealing with the D&D license. I honestly don't know why developers don't have the freedom to treat it like tabletop where the DM/developers can do whatever the gently caress, even if it means you can break the setting over its knee.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

voltron lion force posted:

Long story short they're both dicks.

Its basically choosing the least bad of the two options you're presented.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
gently caress all this moralizing, because Bioware sure as hell didn't give it more than a second's thought. It all boils down to this: do they keep their word without backstabbing you, Y/N? It's why the Shadow Thieves are the "good" path.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

TjyvTompa posted:

Help, how are you supposed to beat Mind Flayers? Every single one of my characters die instantly. I'm just past Spellhold and I got 2 forced encounters with them there and I beat the first one by placing summoned creatures outside the door and then blasting it with spells while it was busy. The second one I got by a hasted Anomen and Slay Living, I reloaded until it hit and killed it in the first hit. Is there really no spell that protects against the brain devour thing?

Cleric spell: Chaotic Commands. Greenstone Amulet. If you're using the tweak pack or item pack there are various items that give you immunity to psionics. Undead summons or mondekinin's sword.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

They were the 5 that were with you when you were captured at the start of BG2. Imoen, Minsc and Jaheira escape with you, Khalid and Dynaheir get murdered.

Honestly there is no canon party. You can have people moving in and out for the entirety of the first game. The people you end up with at the start of BG2 are just those who happened to be with the main character before he/she got kidnapped.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Factor_VIII posted:

To be fair, there's enough air for 10 minutes, right? The baby will just have to hold its breath.

Honestly, I'd like to know what the gently caress they were thinking in regards to creating an inventory item for this. You would also think a cleric/mage of her caliber at that stage of the game would have access to birth control or something, magic or otherwise.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Factor_VIII posted:

If you don't want to completely cheat, you could leave this program running overnight. It will give you a good set of stats. (Even having it run for a couple of minutes should give you a stat total in the 90s.)

Seriously, what? You may as well cheat to give yourself the desired stats anyway and save time.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Draile posted:

If I want Imoen in my party should I get through Chapter 2 as quickly as possible? I forget if she remains her starting level when she rejoins.

She gets bumped up to level 12ish when you pick her up. It's not a big deal anyway if you're willing to use ShadowKeeper.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Factor_VIII posted:

The novelization makes the PC a Neutral human fighter.

(By the way, the Mission Pack Save included in ToSC with a party that could tackle the expansion pack's content included a character called Abdel who must have been the novel's protagonist. He was a Neutral Good Human Fighter and his stats were STR 18(90), DEX 19, CON 19, INT 7, WIS 6, CHA 18. His companions were Edwin, Viconia, Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen instead of the canon party from the start of BG2.)

That explains quite a lot about the lovely novel, hack writing notwithstanding.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

jneer posted:

I'd hate to incur the wrath of a senior staff member at one of the main Infinity Engine modding sites and an off-site friend with a number of admins and senior staff from the community, but Dorn is modded content, just like the Imoen and Saerileth romances. If you have a problem seeing the simple fact that romances are routinely being shoehorned into mods, then you need only look at the percentage of fan-made content that includes a romance versus the equivalent in the vanilla NPCs.

They should've just done another hack & slash dungeon like Watcher's Keep instead. That's where the greatest strength of these games lie: the tactical combat.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please make a mod to add those in, tia.

You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself.

Some of those ambushes are really nasty in BG1.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

Where the hell is the lady I'm supposed to save in the Gnoll fortress?

Check the bottom of those giant pits.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

anime tupac posted:

How many characters does the PC unnecessarily kill throughout the series?

Don't judge me for playing a wandering murderhobo spawn of the god of murder. They're not gonna kill themselves you know.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

This is a good list. You could argue that Edwin's amulet violates rule 10, but since the universe shits on Edwin 24 hours a day he never really gets the mary sue stink about him.

Technically his necklace is is supposed to be an inelegant workaround to giving him the Red Wizard class kit because the devs didn't want to give the player access to it as well. Although I don't see the point really, just give it to the player.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Who are you to judge Aerie's relationship with me?? It's more powerful and real and heavily modded than you'll ever understand.

Godhood > lovely superficial gameified "romance".

Whoever at Bioware came up with the idea back in the day should be erased from history. The very concept has now metastasized into a malignant cancer you can find in a lot of RPG games.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kanfy posted:

Video game romances are fine and cool as a concept, they exist because a lot of people want and enjoy them and they're almost universally optional as well, so I generally find them one of the weirdest things for anyone to actively rally against. How they're executed in a given title is something one can most certainly debate, but on a general level going full on "you enjoy a different aspect of this fantasy RPG than me, now perish" is pretty unnecessary.

Ultimately it's all just different flavors of dumb fun, in my mind not too different from people wanting to play through RPGs on "Story Mode" or somesuch equivalent that eliminates all or most mechanical challenge because they don't care about blowing up goblins with wizard wands as much as party interactions and having a chill adventure.

The problem is that Bioware pioneered and popularized it to the point where it has become another poorly executed checkbox on a AAA feature list. I'm pretty sure a long term relationship isn't supposed to start by my character being a manipulative rear end in a top hat so I can get them to bone the pretty elf lady (or equivalent).

Also consider the fact that a lot of people like to self insert into games like these instead of playing an character... it doesn't say a lot of good things about interacting with the opposite sex.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Same reason fan patches exist I reckon. Some people like that stuff.

Shouldn't they put their energy towards making a new IE style game? Pillars was decent enough but it's not Forgotten Realms D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also they can’t exactly make a new game in the Baldur’s Gate series, since the Bhaspawn saga is kind of wrapped up and Larian are already making Baldur’s Gate 3.

I mean, unless they made a direct sequel following ToB’s conclusion. Something like a game called Baldur’s Gate: Divinity...

Doesn't have to be about the Bhaalspawn. Icewind Dale was a kickin' rad tactical dungeon crawler, I'd play more of that.