Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

1st AD posted:

I want to give my parents an iPad Air to replace their aging iMac since 99% of their use is Facebook, iPhoto, and Skype. The only problem I see so far is trying to work out how to get their iPhoto library onto the iPad. Will Photostream and a beefier iCloud account work okay for this and will this provide a full resolution backup of the photos? They only have lovely P&S cameras so I'm not worried about running out of storage. And will there be any way of importing camera photos directly onto the iPad with some kind of adapter or card reader?

Yes to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If they are hogging an iPad, why not get an iPad? Pick up a used or refurb Mini.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is this our first Google shill?

edit: Oh wait, you're a drug addict Android app developer/shill. gently caress off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Holy loving poo poo. Do some people actually think the TouchPad is a viable option?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

iPad Air. Hands down the best tablet you can get right now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Well, to put in perspective, the iPad Mini is a shrunken iPad 2, which is pretty old at this point. The Mini Retina uses the same guts as the iPad Air and iPhone 5S. That's a pretty huge difference. Just spend the extra $100.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The iPad has an accessory for connecting camera cards, so I would definitely go with the Mini Retina.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Why on Earth would you recommend a 3 year old device. Also, doing something for 'cred' is the dumbest reason ever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're going to read comics don't get the 2. Get something with a Retina display.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

iPad Mini w/ Retina.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

iPad Air.

And what's the deal with people wanting tablets that can use a DVD player? It's the year 2014. Physical media is dead.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sounds like you really need a laptop with a DVD drive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah she wants an ultra book.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

All I can tell you is that a $50 tablet is going to be a huge giant piece of poo poo. You'll claw your eyes out in frustration trying to do the most basic task on it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gariig posted:

No tablet does. You need to use Google Voice/Hangouts VOIP to make your tablet pretend to be a cell phone. I don't think any tablet has the guts of a phone built into it

I beg to differ.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

edit: Whoopsie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

spasticColon posted:

On the Apple store it says the refurbished Ipads have a new battery and outer shell does that include a new screen as well?

Any defective parts are replaced, they have a full warranty, and you can get Applecare. If they have the model/size/color you want in the refurb section, there's zero reason to get a new one instead.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If it's JUST that stuff, yes. iPad apps are considerably larger than their iPhone counterparts so even just a few games can eat up a ton of space. You're gonna run out of space real fast. Apple has a no questions asked 14 day return policy. If you find you're wanting more space, just return it and get a bigger one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you want something that runs smooth and is not an iPad, you're out of luck.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm guessing XenJ's first language is not English.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mulligan posted:

Just a reminder that the $250 refurbished iPad mini retina is a hell of a deal. Aside from the box, it's virtually indistinguishable from a brand new one, and runs iOS 8 like a dream. Needs suited, can't recommended it enough.

The only difference between it and the newest Mini is it lacks Touch ID. Other than that it has the same specs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The iPad Air 2 screen size is closer to the size of a sheet of paper. For your needs, I'd recommend it. That said, buy it from somewhere that has a no questions asked return policy. If it's too big, or otherwise isn't doing it for you, try the mini (or you could buy the mini first and return that if it doesn't suit you). At any rate, the Air 2 is absolutely the best tablet on the market right now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You want some sort of ultrabook.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Don't know much about ultrabooks in terms of os's. Are they closer to tablets or Mac pcs in having a set os or can I put xubuntu on one

Ultrabook is just a fancy term for thin, lightweight laptop. Examples are Macbook Air and Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zerilan posted:

Got any suggestions on what the best sub $1000 models are? Not a fan of Mac stuff generally.

Honestly? None. With the exception of Apple, all OEMs are in a race to the bottom to see who can poo poo out the biggest turd. Since you want Ubuntu, the OS on the device shouldn't matter too much. With Apple, you get easily the best build quality and some of the best support in the industry. My goon brother who is a Linux admin loving hates Apple but loves his Macbook w/ Retina.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

primitive posted:

- Why does Spotify spaz out every time I swipe away a notification
- Why does the launcher crash out and redraw itself every 5 minutes? It shouldn't take a tablet with 2gb of RAM 5 seconds to go back to the home screen
- Tablet app problems: clicking a new tab in Chrome by default highlights the reload page control, and not the address bar. Which means you actually need to tap the address bar before you start typing a new URL. Stupid, stupid, stupid
- Inbox is great for phones and awful for tablets

Question: I've never played with a Samsung device before, but it seems like they know what they're doing when it comes to software optimisations for bigger devices. Does Samsung have its poo poo together with respect to their tablets? This thing has me crawling up a wall.

Also, good feedback about the Nexus 9 keyboad case: This is about the smallest keyboard I've ever used, but it is usable and nicer to use than the on-screen keyboard. Keys have good travel and it just feels nice overall.

Android.txt.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you want something that does everything well, you want an iPad. There's a reason why android fansites even say the iPad Air 2 is hands down the best tablet out there right now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You're going to want a gaming laptop. I'm not sure if there are any at the 500 price point.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

Think so? Think even basic, unmodded Morrowind would cripple a tablet? Hmmm

Oh the old one. I thought you were talking about the newest Elder Scrolls game.

Anyway, you'll want a Windows tablet. They're all poo poo plus you'll need a keyboard and mouse anyway. Also it will be running Win8 so I have no idea how an old game like that will perform.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Looking to get a tablet to replace my computer (sick of lugging around a computer and a big charger around.)

I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care about that. What I do need is fairly good word processing, good battery life, and the ability to stream NHL gamecenter/NHL vault. Other than that, as small/cheap as possible would be great. I am NOT looking for any apple products.

You sure? Because an iPad Air does really well at everything you listed. You have plenty of options with word processing (Pages, MS Office, Google Docs). NHL apps work great on it. Battery life is great of course.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

I really try to avoid Apple products, as I use a Galaxy S4/PC computer and they tend not to work with apple products as well. I feel like apple encourages you to connect with their other products if you have one of them.

That being said, I'm not entirely against it. How much is an Ipad air? Or maybe the mini? And how much storage can you get on one?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

A refurb Mini 2 starts at $249 which is a great deal. It's almost identical to the newest Mini, with the only difference being lack of Touch ID. I don't see any Airs in the refurb store right now but that stuff comes and goes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you! My one concern would be music. I have all my music purchased on Amazon Music (and then I download it to my phone). Would I be able to do that with an Ipad or would I be forced to use Itunes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amazon-music-with-prime-music/id510855668?mt=8

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm in the market for a tablet to use for school and work stuff because I don't want to lug my laptop back and forth on a 30-45 minute public transit commute every day. Basically I just need something that will run MS Office Suite, play videos and music well, maybe do some very light gaming. What's my best option in the $300-350 range?

iPad Mini 2 or iPad Air if you can find one in that price range.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

fadam posted:

I'd like a new tablet to read comics/manga on, and I don't mind spending a little more to get something nice. I'm using a 1st gen Nexus 7 right now, and while it's been fine for the past two+ years, I think I'd like to try something a little bigger. If I'm planning on manually loading comic files, and not just using something like Marvel Unlimited or Comixology, I should stay away from Apple tablets, right?

EDIT: The Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is on sale for $70 off from Bestbuy. Any good?

There's comic apps for iPad so you can load your pirated comics. iPad absolutely has the best quality screen, so that would be best for your comics. Either iPad Air is a good bet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Refurb iPad Mini 2 hands down.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Android.txt.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

I don't want anything bigger,

:laugh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

iPad Pro?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Lichy posted:

I was thinking about an apple device to read my textbooks on on the go, currently I have an iPad mini first gen which can barely handle the huge PDFs I have to read and an iPhone 5 that is three years old and will become very very obsolete soon

I wanted to upgrade to a mini 2 or so but recently I thought maybe trading both of those in and getting an iPhone 6 Plus would be a good idea since it has a really nice resolution and is the perfect size to read textbook paragraphs once you zoom in in a pdf.

Advice?

PS I don't really wanna leave the apple ecosystem.

You can get a refurb Mini 2 for under $230 which is a hell of a deal. It's basically an Air 1 with a smaller display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For comics, I would strongly recommend a larger screen, like an iPad Air.

But since you do want something smaller, I would go with a refurb iPad Mini 2. $229. Can't go wrong with that choice.