Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

I'm having issues with capturing screens for an older PC game; I wondered if anyone else had run into a similar problem. I'm using Irfanview to capture the screens. For some reason the menu shots look fine:

But the in-game shots look horrible:

I'm still pretty new at this, and honestly, I have no idea what to do here. The game LOOKS fine when I play it. When I capture the screens, though, it turns to that.

Some old games do this for some weird reason. StarCraft is known to do it as well, but has a key combo to capture screenshots. You could see if your game has one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Catsworth posted:

Any ideas what to do from here would be greatly appreciated. :shobon:

If you right-click the volume mixer icon in the systray and click recording devices, are they all enabled?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mico posted:

The only way I could feasibly see that working is if you had a second computer with the capture card in it with the first computer running the game running its video output to it.

Wasn't that how the Freelance Astronauts' setup worked?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is it an actual audio CD? If so, use EAC to rip it, and then transcode it into MP3 using Foobar2000.

You could just cut out the middle-man and rip using Foobar2000, encoding at the same time as well as tagging the MP3 files automatically. If the CD's damaged, though, EAC may be the superior choice.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I thought it was a standard feature on old TVs to allow you to record what was on your screen with a VCR. And figured it makes sense to see less of it, especially HD, now that VCRs are pretty much extinct.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MEAT! posted:

I'm thinking of making tutorial videos again, mostly redoing the ones I did forever ago, but first I'd like to ask if people would prefer the video to be smaller, like only recording a section of my screen at something like 800x600 or 1280x720, or if they would prefer if I recorded my whole screen at 1920x1080.

Remember that most people won't put the video in fullscreen, so zooming in on the action is probably a good idea.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lufia posted:

How do these look?

They definitely look fuzzier than the game itself, but it's the best I've been able to get, what with all the hoop jumping involved in trying to record a non-rooted phone. :v:
Just wondering if I should go ahead with this or hope somebody with a better hardware setup does it at some point.

Why not use your phone's built-in screenshot feature? Usually it's home button + power button.
Here's the title screen captured from my phone in that fashion. Linked for huge 1.3 MB png.
http://i.imgur.com/j2r6OaK.png

Obviously the resolution you get differs per phone model and in my case I'd need to throw them through a batch process to resize and convert them to jpg.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lufia posted:

Because interrogation scenes are pretty dynamic with some nifty animations and I'm bound to miss stuff if I take screenshots manually. I'd be willing to make concessions on the stabby word balloons, but the certainty percentages and the frowny anime eyes inserts, I do want screenshots of, and they don't stay on screen for very long at all.

Good point, I had forgotten about those. I know some phones have some form of HDMI out, which you might be able to capture with a capture device. Or you could try seeing if you can't get Teamviewer or something to show the screen on your computer and capture that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Why does that read like you're saying having fifteen megabytes to work with is a bad thing? It's pointless if you can't upload animated GIFs, certainly, but what's wrong with 15MB?

It's because you could upload files basically any size and any format. And then it became only video and images. And now that's restricted to 15 MB image files, it seems like.
So it's been becoming more and more restrictive.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jawbroken posted:

Please try your hardest not to post GIFs anywhere near 15MB even if it's technically allowed by some service.

But what will I do with my 271 MB 800x600 Mandelbrot GIF? I was gonna make it my signature and shitpost in GBS or something!

Edit: Obviously the answer is to upload it to Gfycat. Where it is converted into a 40 MB HTML5 video with options to still get to the original GIF and hotlink that.

Probably not very useful for LP because it only takes videos and GIFs, but it seems nice enough for the occasional exception.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 26, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MEAT! posted:

If you're just making cuts and nothing else just change the video mode in virtualdub to direct stream copy and export as avi.

Wouldn't that limit him to only cutting on keyframes? It's been a while since I've used pure VirtualDub, but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Kinda strange that vlc won't play avs scripts, MPC handles them fine so long as they aren't too complex or convert colorspaces. That way you can make sure your problem is the script and not something further up the chain.

VLC only uses built-in codecs. This has the advantage of making it seem like It Just Works, but it really means that if it fucks something up you have no way of fixing it without installing a different player.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The ability to stream their face with a greenscreen behind them, what is that?

A terrible idea! Don't do this, the whole LP subforum will poo poo on you because nobody wants to see your face.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shogeton posted:

I'm trying to use Irfaview to make screenshots of a game. If I try to take screenshots of the game in windowed mode, it works fine, with of course the problem I have the title over it, and I'd prefer to avoid having to crop that out manually. However, if I run the game fullscreen, Irfanview doesn't take screenshots of the game. Is there a way to fix this, or is there a way to remove the title bars?

Edit: and now the problem seems fixed. To work I go.

For future reference, you can set up cropping in batch processing to remove the title bars.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

judge reinhold posted:

I think the 3 frame method builds character.

Might as well use that AviSynth animation tutorial Phiggle wrote if you wanna build character.

E: VVV :thejoke:

Geemer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 18, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I have a *really* dumb question. I'm trying to record a PC game using VirtualDub, but all I get is audio - video constantly shows a black screen. I followed Maxwell Adams's guide on settings and, again, the thing records the sounds perfectly, I just don't see any video.
It also shows two rectangles of black when I open the file instead of one - possibly it's thinking I'm using more than one monitor?
Apologies in advance if I missed something really obvious, but at this point I just don't know.

edit: Using Windows 7 x64, graphics card is Radeon 7800 - any else relevant data needed?

The Maxwell Adams guide is ancient and super outdated. Turn off hardware acceleration in VirtualDub when recording on anything beyond Windows XP. Also the two screens you see when opening a file are the original and the processed versions. So you could see the effects of your work if you were to use VirtualDub for processing the video.

That said, you'll probably be happier switching to something else for recording.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For an admittedly quite drastic illustration of what cropping and then backsizing a small border does to a frame look at these:

http://lpix.org/1775113/example4original.png
http://lpix.org/1775114/example4scaled.png

Ow, my eyes. Thanks.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

lokistarwind posted:

I wanted to ask some advice on screen recording software for a mac.

Isn't OBS also available for Mac? That can do local recordings as well, albeit not lossless.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, the Intel 730 I just bought considers writing the whole thing 500 times over to be normal and expected use over the 5 year warranty period.

You're probably missing a 0 or two from your number there. Or else you're not gonna reach that 50* GB a day for five years that they warrant it for by a long shot.

(240 GB version, 70 GB for the 480 GB version.)

Wearing out your SSD is a thing of the past. Unless you intentionally attempt to do so. But the same could be argued for HDDs where you can wear out the head motor by continually making it seek back and forth, just to prove you can wear it out.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 2, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mico posted:

Also word of advice, back in the Windows 98 days the power went out during a defragment and there is no better way to destroy literally all of the files on your hard drive IMO.

FAT32 was magical. :allears:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Literally "why not use chopsticks instead of a fork? They're way more convenient and you get a bit of dexterity exercise while you're at it".

Because I'd rather use a fork? The concept really shouldn't be that hard.

Maybe you'd have more time to use the tools if you didn't spend so much time "hiding" youtube videos in your posts? What's up with that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

Edit: And these days it might not even matter. In the Bad Old Days, embedding a giant image would stretch out every post on the page. With the updated CSS that's been in place for some time now, all you'd do is stretch out your own post, and every other post on the page would be fine.

It's still an rear end to read, and especially terrible on mobile devices.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

There's a bunch of tags you can add to your youtube videos that fix aspect ratio.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

When you save a picture, there's a settings box right to the side with a slider (for both JPG and PNG) that you move. It also persists, so it's a set once and forget thing; a very easy, no-way-you-can-miss thing. Also, the JPGs from Irfanview aren't "less pretty" and the PNGs aren't "bloated." If you want more compression, you can trade your time by using the PNGOut plugin in the settings. That is only very slightly harder to figure out than a slider.

At this point, what people should be asking in almost all cases regarding to JPG vs. PNG is not "which one looks better?", but "which one makes my file smaller" because both are fine quality wise.

Irfanview also has the PNGOUT plugin, which cuts size down even further. But it's slow as balls, mainly because it does a lot of iterative calculations and also because it spend a ton of resources to redraw the status dialog at uncapped FPS. Best to use that one on a batch of images and do something else while it crunches the numbers. Just set the compression level to 9 for general usage.

E: Gah, got ninja-edited.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Artix posted:

You know how to use OBS to stream? Set it up the exact same way, and hit Start Recording instead of Start Streaming.

E: You'll want to jack up your bitrate if you want to use it as a source recording though. Unless you use the trick to make it record with Lagarith, the mp4 is going to come out lossy.

What is the trick to make it record with Lagarith?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm not sure how it is at audio replacing/fixing, but apparently Windows Movie Maker is decent nowadays if you just want to make simple cuts. May be some hoops to jump through to make it not butcher the videos during rendering.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What if you change the end to be like so:
code:
fullclip = clip1 + clip2 + clip3 + clip4 + clip5 + clip6
fullclip = Audiodub(fullclip, audio).ConvertToYV12()
return fullclip

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with Microsoft Security Essentials deciding that AVSPMod is infected by malware? It started happening to me last week, and I thought I had fixed the problem by whitelisting the executable and the program directory. The problem, however, has now resurfaced.

I'd really rather not have to turn off virus protection every time I have to update my thread.

Works fine on my computer with Windows 7 MSE and the latest definitions. Did you maybe (re)download AvsPmod from some place that added stuff in?

Have you tried re-downloading from GitHub?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Continuing from my last post (thanks for the help!), my AviSynth file assocation broke so I can't run them as scripts and only as notepad files.

Right-click one, select Open with, pick Choose default program..., then just browse to your script editor of choice. I used to use plain old notepad for the longest time before switching to AvsPmod, so I don't really see how you're having problems.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Fiddle with the QP numbers, lower number means higher quality. Don't just use 1 as it's a waste of space and processing power. MeGUI suggests using 16 as a minimum but warns that that may not even be worth the overhead. Especially when you're also trying to run a game on the side.
But I only have experience with CPU-based encoding, not with GPU-based.

Also, just use constant quality for your final render, it'll save space and potentially look better than using a fixed bitrate.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nidoking posted:

...Then scales it to the right size (i.e. much larger than your video, then cropped so the rounded part is completely out of frame)...

I get your idea, but wouldn't it be easier to make a large square image and then scale it to the widest size of the video?
You might still have to crop the top and bottom (or in some weird videos, the sides), but you wouldn't have to resize a circle to a giant size and hope you picked a large enough scale or default to enormous sizes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Snak posted:

Thanks. I'll look into it. I am using windows directly. It's almost certainly disk-space related.

edit: V thanks. How much space does MeGUI take up when installed?

If you're too low on disk space for MeGUI to be installed, Windows would constantly be nagging you to clear up some space just to ensure its own proper operation.
Consider running the standard portable (zip) of CrystalDiskInfo. If it says all your disks are good, try running Memtest86+ overnight or at least a few hours to eliminate the next likely suspect.
If any errors (red lines) show up in Memtest86+, your RAM is bad and you should replace it as it can lead to system-wide corruption.

Windows should also have a memory test built-in (it's called Windows Memory Diagnostic in Windows 7) that you can run, but it's a bit less thorough.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

My WD 3TB Red clocks in (according to Dxtory) at about 160 MB/sec. Assuming the bitrate of whatever you're recording doesn't exceed that, and that drive is only being written to, I'd imagine you'd be just fine. Now, that'll likely slow down as you get towards the outer edges of the disk, so you'll want to pay attention to that.

Any sort of fragmentation will degrade disk writes faster than reaching the outer edges of the platters. It is really not a thing to keep in mind anymore unless you're riding so close to the limit that you have to format your disk every time you use it to be able to get the proper sustained speeds.

That said, make sure your disk isn't fragmented to hell and don't try to use raw video for 1080p60.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I loving something up big time?

You're still using Virtualdub for recording. Consider switching to OBS Studio.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

discworld is all I read posted:

So running into a bit of an odd issue with a video I'm encoding in Megui. For some reason when I encode the video, the sound gets massively muted; I've checked the source video and the audio is fine, and it even sounds fine when I'm previewing it in Virtualdub. But for some reason after I encode it, the audio is just turned down super low. I've been trying a few experiments, such as just encoding maybe the first 6 minutes with the starting bit of edits and trims and that pops out a video with completely normal audio volume. So I'm not sure if there's something else I'm maybe doing wrong and was wondering if you guys had any ideas. Also for reference this is the bloated avs script I'm running:

I know it's a lot of trims but the game has like a billion 20+ second long loads that I try to get rid of. And I don't think any are skipping to odd times or out of order, and I'm not doing anything super odd with it.

I know this isn't much more than a work-around, but if the VirtualDub preview is fine, can't you save the audio from that and then dub it over the video at the end of the script? That might let you bypass whatever weirdness is going on with how Megui handles your billions of trims.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I'm doing it specifically instead of video clips for the One Shot SSLP Challenge.

Which might make the advice :justpost: since it's a gimmick challenge anyways.

There's a 40+ mb gif of the entirety of Super Mario Bros on the first page of that thread. :justpost:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nielsm posted:

Just making a little test of embedding audio in a static-image mp4/webm...

MP4 with H.264 video and AAC audio: http://0x0.st/C9u.mp4

WebM with VP8 video and Vorbis audio: http://0x0.st/C9S.webm

Edit for an MP4 with H.264 video and MP3 audio: http://0x0.st/C9j.mp4

Edit 2 for an MP4 with MP3 audio and no video: http://0x0.st/C92.mp4

I'd be happy if someone can test these on various Android and iOS tablets/phones.

For me, Firefox refuses the MP4 and likes the WebM. On Edge, the WebM doesn't get embedded, the MP4 does, but there is no picture in the MP4.

Only 2 and 4 work for me. Both on Firefox for Android and for Windows version 56. Says "No video with supported format and MIME type" in the other two.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Should I e.g. double the size myself (with a pixel game, this shouldn't lose me any quality...if I find the correct algorithm, aka no algorithm) before uploading, or is that a minor issue/quality will be slightly worse anyway?

Definitely do it in editing where you have control over it and can make sure it's not getting some poo poo filter. Also, youtube picks (picked?) different encoding paths depending on vertical resolution of the video, with the low resolution ones being terrible garbage. So make sure it's taller than 720 or 1080 if you want good quality.
It shouldn't have too big an impact on filesize for pixel games, since those probably compress real good.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My best guess is that they've got several servers that you upload videos to, with some load balancer picking which one you use on the fly. And for some videos either the server is experiencing a high load and can't accept the file as fast, or there is some congestion on the network path loving with your speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

I wanted to show off Cosmic Star Heroine after finally playing all the way through it, but I don't know how to extract the portraits I'll want to do so. So far as I can tell, the game uses Unity and stores its assets in .resource or .assets formats - basically a fancy name for some kind of container. I know there are tools for cracking those container files open, because I've used one before. But what I have says it's an FSB extractor (for pulling out audio files) and likely wouldn't be useful for art assets. What should I use?

Have you tried Unity Studio? Although it looks like it had a change of name to Asset Studio within the last year.

https://github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio