Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is Gorsuch an actual strict constructionist, or is he being one in this instant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
People are very upset at Hillary and RBG for things that Mitch McConnell has done.

:thunk:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

whos that broooown posted:

This is pretty sexist tbh.

Women can be selfish and short-sighted, too.

D&D comment indistinguishable from FB posts from boomers. "You pointing out sexism is the real sexism here"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Beggars can't be choosers but I would love an updated OP with regards to the court at this point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Parrotine posted:

Geez, that is one hell of a time window :eek:

Well, you need enough time to figure out a legal way to say the thing you already were going to do regardless of the law.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Crows Turn Off posted:

I hate how I'm seeing lots of articles and posts now about how women are on the verge of losing abortion rights.

Why weren't people making this big of a deal before Trump was elected, when it actually mattered?

There were many many people who were like "I loving hate Hillary but the SCOTUS seats/Roe mean I'm voting for her"

It was an incredibly common thing and it's frustrating that you've seem to have memory-holed that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Senor Tron posted:

Please tell me that they were allowed to ask him to clarify what he means by Critical Race Theory.

I have no doubt he knows exactly what real CRT is, and also hates that.

But also "teaching accurate history in schools" is also probably bad in his eyes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I'm going to take the bold stance of not wanting more people to suffer so that I can gamble on a better outcome maybe taking place.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Is there a writeup anywhere of the likely choices? I know somebody has done one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

Thomas is 73 and Alito is 71; Scalia died in his late 70s so 30+ years might be a bit overstating it.

Howeverrrr, McConnell has absolutely politicized the Court, and it will likely become the norm for justices 75+ (or having a history of health issues) to retire once their party is in the White House to be replaced by a 40-year-old, so optimistically we might have a 4-5 split at some point.

The court was always politicized.

The saving grace here might be that the judges are so egotistical and insulated that they don't care even if people are putting pressure on them, like RBG

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Bill Kristol made a tweet saying that Harris would be SC nominee so that Biden can appoint Romney and they would be a unity ticket.

I was worried for that 5 minutes when he was saying accurate stuff about Trump that somehow he wasn't one of the Wrongest Dudes Ever but he's back in fine form

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
What you're seeing now is the culmination of a several decades project to radicalize the court in a conservative manner. The dems didn't have a parallel movement because for all of that time they were pretty conservative and "keep the status quo" doesn't fire up zealots.

So if your general point is "Dems are bad" I don't know that many folks are going to disagree with you here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

It's the same thing with Obama and the 4 Democrats on the court refusing to use their power to put another liberal on the court.

They didn't stop the precedent from being set. Republicans aren't going to leave that power on the table the day Democrats finally wise up and stop confirming Republican justices. So the precedent will be set anyway, it will just have cost Democrats a seat first, and when it's finally used it will be to entrench a conservative majority.

And my point isn't Dems are bad. My point is they don't understand what the court is and still don't or they would treat it like the political office it is and always has been. Arguments that it would have been wrong for liberal justices to vote for a liberal court make as much sense as arguments that it's wrong for Democrats in the House to vote for a Democrat to be speaker and they should elect a Republican just to be nice.

When conservatives on the court had the opportunity to vote for a conservative to be selected president they weren't foolish enough to decline.

Pretty sure the Dems do understand that it's a political office and always been. It's more like "Bad People doing Really Bad Things" and "Bad People not quite willing to be As Bad While Still Being Bad"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

jeeves posted:

Democrats need a Trump to be able to rally voters to vote against. It's how they got their most conservative and pro-neoliberal canidate ever of Biden elected.

Also they have their head in the sand and will be the first against the wall once the billionaire funded theocracy takes over. Of course turtlefuck Mitch will be next and he knows it, hence his very half-hearted anti-Trump rhetoric and actions.

I don't know if Biden is meaningfully more neoliberal or conservative than Obama or Hillary.

They've been running lovely conservatives for a while without Trump.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kalman posted:

Manchin already clarified that he meant right before a presidential election, not some indeterminate time before the midterms, but okay.

You say that as if directly lying about what you would do in hypothetical SCOTUS nominations is a thing that senators don't do.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kalman posted:

And why, exactly, do you think Manchin - who has voted for every single judicial nominee Biden has put forward - wouldn’t vote for a SCOTUS nominee before the midterm when he’s said he would do so?

Because SCOTUS is different and Manchin has spent the last year destroying any trust in his word that anyone has ever had, if they had any. He might be lying, he might not, but trusting Manchin? Only to gently caress things up.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Gee I dunno if Manchin will make himself a notable part of this very media heavy and important SCOTUS nomination.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Finally an advocate on the court for unrepresented communities like Lockheed Martin and other racist employers

Yeah there's definitely better nominees in the court's history, who had a public defender background like her.

Such as

and

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

fool of sound posted:

Gorsuch is interesting because he's absolutely an ideologue but I think the Republicans mistook what sort of ideologue he is.

I feel like they keep finding people who they imagine are empty suit ghouls who believe in nothing like themselves and then are shocked when they find someone who actually believes the BS they've spent decades promoting.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ilkhan posted:

I disagree, but it's an opinion worth debating.

Please feel free to disagree more substantially then, because basically everybody with any level of knowledge on this disagrees with you.

Also based purely on this response I figured I'd find "racism" in your rap sheet and was not disappointed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

LionArcher posted:

Are there any threads about the current hearing? Because the racism is wild. I know she’s not left enough, but she seems legit cool and like a solid pick for a moderate.

She is a good pick. Pretty disappointing that a black woman merits almost zero discussion on this board despite being literally the only public defender ever nominated.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A good pick is a good pick, not much to discuss

azflyboy posted:

I'd assume at least part of it is because she's clearly qualified, obviously competent, and with a 6-3 court, it's not gonna matter at all for another 30 years, so there's not a lot to discuss.

She's basically walking into a situation that would turn Judge Beer into a puddle of tears and dealing with the racism foghorn day in and day out, I think we should at least spend some time on it, but I can't make people do so.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Leon's post is pretty good start:

quote:

Blackburn: How can you make rulings on the rights of women and deciding who is or is not a woman when you are not a biologist and therefor could not define a woman?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I mean to be clear theres a lot more in that post I just didn't have the time to sit down and redo all of Leon's formatting

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

I'm happy you're correct, but "Joe Manchin is fundamentally untrustworthy" isn't exactly a bad position for me to hold.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
It would be hilarious if after loving the entire nation in order to remain electable in WV, he's not remotely electable in WV.

Well, not exactly hilarious....

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

uPen posted:

If the Democrats can't get reproductive health through congress after this I'm just done with them. Kick Manchin out of the party and let McConnell run the Senate again. If things get bad enough quickly enough perhaps by the time my kids have kids things will have started improving.

Or, and let me put this out there, things won't start improving even then.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Nobody outside of SCOTUS nerds gives the slightest gently caress about the leak. Most people are talking about this as if the final decision was already handed down.

It's an issue of discussion for this thread, not much outside of it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I would love to see at least one poster ITT grapple with the legal reasoning of the opinion, page after page of outrage about it is pretty boring.

Be the legal analysis you want to see in the thread.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Epicurius posted:

I mean, if you're talking about Christianity, the Didache, which is probably late first century or early second century, contains the following list of sins:

Or it says something vaguely like that because it certainly wasnt written in english

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

That's why Alito cites Sir Matthew Hale to make the point that there was no right abortion before Roe v. Wade.

Roe was a privacy ruling, not an abortion ruling.

quote:

His legal theory is in itself sound

It is not. It's based in nothing and nonsense.

quote:

The fact that a constitution is difficult to change is a feature, not a bug. That's why constitutional rights are better protect than regular law, because it takes more than a majority to create/remove them. Using the SCOTUS as this one weird trick to get around that cuts both ways.

Not really. It's functionally impossible to change and with a nakedly partisan court, it's pretending that that there exists a recourse when there is not actually one there.

You're not engaging with reality you're simply repeating talking pionts here.

If you want to argue that the legal theory in Alito's position is sound, then do that. Don't just restate your premise. Explain, legally, why it is sound instead of appealing to authority, which is what this is:

GaussianCopula posted:

whether you think it's right or wrong doesn't really matter because the American people, through their president and Senate, have decided that Alito is one of the brightest legal minds and get's to make those calls.

I don't care if the Living Tribunal descended from the cosmos and anointed him a mutant with the superpower to judge things correct. You swinging from his judicial nuts isn't logic, it's actually a fallacy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
LOL I expected that to be somewhat legalese with the "SEC can't do it's job" buried somewhere out of the way but there it is in plain English for not-a-lawyer me to see.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
The supreme court justices want to kill women.

Seems fair.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

And going from "she put her name on a form to send pre-written emails to representatives" to "she actively was part of a shadow cabal trying to coup the US government" is quite a leap.

I'm sorry you must be unfamiliar with who Ginni Thomas is, because otherwise this line is either incredibly ignorant or absolutely bizarre. Look her up, you might be surprised!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm going to go with the guy who has an extensive rap sheet for right wing and racist stuff doesn't care about people like Ginni and Clarence Thomas being openly corrupt when it comes to pushing their party's goals because they agree with it.

This is the type of honest and credulous engagement moderation wants.

How am I supposed to know what this person who frequently makes up poo poo to push right wing narratives wants in their heart of hearts?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Right, on legal grounds this is decided correctly. The dissenting liberal judges probably even know it too, hence talking about gun death stats on suicide, mass shootings etc, when this case was about CCW, not gun ownership. Alito actually rightfully calls it out.

"Alito is right" is probably the point when you should consider you have an incorrect view on how a law was decided.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Yeah it may suck but that's how the country works. Guns are part of the constitution, and the constitution cant be changed easily, for good reasons.

Guns are in the constitution? Oh word? Where are they mentioned?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Fuschia tude posted:

Amendment II

Can you quote the part that mentions them?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ilkhan posted:

keep is own/possess and bear means carry. Its a complicated sentence.

A complicated sentence that doesn't mention guns.

Could you find me the section that mentions "guns".

Also, that only applies to militias, as the sentence itself says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ilkhan posted:

Arms = guns. Specifically "small arms". We could embrace it as including "large arms" if you want to throw in canons and artillery and the like.

No, it doesn't say guns. It doesn't say "small arms", it doesn't say "large arms".

It says "arms".

Where does it say guns? And don't ignore the militia part.