Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemon King posted:

You can also add more sectors, increase the threatLevel ranges and change what biomes spawn in the sector.
code:
    {
      "id" : "sectorz",
      "name" : "Sector Z",
      "sectorSeed" : 20348384203492,
      "prefix" : "Zed",
      "sectorSymbol" : "/celestial/sector/x.png",
      "hueShift" : 180,

"worldParameters" : {
        "threatLevel" : [41, 62],
        "unlockedBiomes" : [ "moon", "magma", "tentacles", "volcanic" ]
      }
    },

Shukaro posted:

Here's another small mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4dszei7zepb95j/instruments.zip

It adds recipes for the various instruments to the crafting table, just pick up a pixel to learn the recipes. Extract it into \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets of course.

Hey, you guys are awesome. Also the guy who modded in the ability to use the larger ship (and I heard someone actually found a way to make the Space Station the default ship instead, for maximum space?) Some really inventive and useful ideas and we're only on Day 2. It really makes me wonder about what kind of mods are really possible in this game, and what we'll see in the coming weeks and months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really wish you could teleport to your home planet.
I'd love to find a nice cozy planet and build a huge fancy decked out base with massive storage, then check back in there whenever I need to. But a round trip costs me 600 fuel, I have to sit through 2 warp sequences, and going back to the planet I was just on would require writing down the coords. A sudden teleport, even if it's with an item you have to unlock, would really be a godsend. Especially since the ships aren't really big enough for a real base. And even if they were bigger, their shape isn't modifiable. So even if I had to choose between bigger ships or a "warp to home planet" button I'd definitely choose the latter.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemon King posted:

You can also add more sectors, increase the threatLevel ranges and change what biomes spawn in the sector.
If you add new sectors, is there any way to unlock them? I'd like to add one I can visit but I wouldn't know how to unlock it so I could actually go there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dezztroy posted:

You can add sectors to the unlock items in /assets/items/generic/celstial.
E: Oh, thanks! Will check this out.
The files are all surprisingly open, adding new stuff should be easy once I get a handle on adding recipes and making them automatically available.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Absurd Revolver posted:

Is it just me, or does the Hylotl racial armor bonus not seem to scale very much with the tiers?

I just wanna be able to stay underwater nigh indefinitely, but that may be asking too much.
I thought they didn't have racial bonuses yet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So a friend and I are considering making a mod.

I think I mentioned, but it kinda doesn't feel right that almost all building materials and decorations have to be looted and stolen. It could just be because this is beta, and they might have it planned so that later on you can craft them yourself, or it's possible that this is how it's meant to be -- but either way, you can't right now. So we were considering making a quick run through most of the building blocks and artifacts and seeing if we couldn't just make a bunch of recipes for them.
We're probably going to try tying common decorations to the race that fits them, so you can have a bunch of starter decorations to craft, and the same with blocks. For more complex decorations and advanced building blocks, we're not sure. Maybe you learn the recipe the first time you pick one up? Making schematics for them all might work but we have no idea how to add schematics to the loot tables and stuff. What do you guys think?

Anyway, I'm mainly mentioning it to see if anyone who's already dabbled in modding for Starbound knows how to add starter or on-pickup recipes. We can make the recipes easily enough, we just don't know how to trigger them to be 'learned'.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VDay posted:

You might want to at least wait until the "full" beta's been released/is under way. The game's in stage 1 and content is purposely gated right now, but there's already been a couple of patches and a bunch of changes/additions. Would probably suck to put it a bunch of work and then find out that all that stuff's already in the game but in one of the locked tiers or something.

e: Slightly misread your post and it sounds like it isn't really that much work. Nvm then.
Yeah, we're mostly just looking at things like letting Avians start with a Temple Brick recipe for like 1 sandstone and 1 stone for 4 bricks, or letting Florans craft those hanging trophy skins, or things like that. Just the inconsequential stuff you can currently only get via looting. The only thing we don't have a grasp on yet is how to make the player learn the recipes, but it can't be that hard.

joats posted:

Steal them once, scan them with the 3d scanner. And don't worry about having to ever pick it up again. Just need a mod to tell you what you have already scanned.
The entire point of a mod like this is:
1) Being able to craft the blocks, which can't be printed or scanned.
2) Not having to find them in the first place, so you can build a cozy little place without needing to tear another one down first.
3) Being able to create them with something other than a huge amount of pixels.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 7, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Heads up, huge patch scheduled for a few days from now, will wipe characters.
http://playstarbound.com/coming-in-a-few-days-sorry-for-the-delay/

Mostly a balance patch.
Here are the highlights:

Tiy posted:

*We’re going to reduce the number of planet levels from 100, to 10. (This is not a decrease in the amount of content, it’s simply a change to how leveling functions.)
*Monsters will no longer have a level. [They'll be easy/medium/hard ranked for that sector, at about the difficulties you'd find in say, TL 1-3, 4-6, 7-10.]
*Removing armor penetration. [Caused a lot of balance problems, was the reason why enemies with one level of difference could be one-shot or take a dozen hits, and why the bosses and new sectors usually stampeded over people.]
*You’ll be able to directly compare weapon DPS
*Armor will become easier to understand and will gain additional buffs, such as increasing player max health
*We’re also able to make sure that when you craft the best armor in a sector, you’ll be in good shape for the next sector.
*Items with a static amount of damage [throwing knives, javelins, e.g.] will be manually balanced and useful for the entire sector you find them on.
*Coming along with this update will be a bunch of bug fixes and some new content.
*Shortly after this update we’ll be adding a complete sector 4, delta sector.

I suspect this game will drastically improve the balance of the game and make the extra wait worth it.

Coming along with this update will be a bunch of bug fixes and some new content.

Shortly after this update we’ll be adding a complete sector 4, delta sector.
Looks like some huge overhauling for the better, I'd say.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If anyone's touched modding, we've made some progress, and found where to add starter recipes (player.config). But we can't find where racial starter recipes like the avian-only armor are unlocked. Anyone have a clue?
E: Nevermind, looks like all that matters is recipe placement? Will investigate further.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 7, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

So, my friend and I are making good progress on that mod. All these blocks are craftable now. Recipes aren't balanced yet. Placing all the blocks into the world is helping us envision what component materials would best create the relevant blocks and platforms.

It really is kind of weird realizing how boring all my homes have been so far, made almost without exception from just wood and stone. There are all these awesome materials in the game but you have to go tear up a dungeon or village to get most of them. Being able to craft them yourself makes it much easier to build a visually diverse base.
Next up is decorative objects. We'll probably only do the simpler ones like furniture, so that there's still objects worth looting from the places you visit, to take as trophies or just decorations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A shrubbery! posted:

How I like to play is, if your inventory is getting full, you've adventured enough and it's time to either use what you've found to build something, or trash it because it's worthless.
Yeah, this is about what I thought. Unless you're a total packrat saving up for some huge imagined project with all your multicolored resources (like me) or you don't need four thousand dirt and you can just take five seconds to dump all the blue/red/purple/orange dirt you don't need. Or you can turn any color of dirt, sand, and stone into packed dirt, glass/windows, and bricks that'll all stack together with any other variety and look better for building anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think it's fine as it is. You either care about having different resource colors or you don't. If you do, make some storage. If you don't, toss it. Either way you can turn them into generic building materials that stack universally.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

crowfeathers posted:

As it is my inventory fills up with sand blocks and makes me angry. So I wouldn't say it's great.
At most I've found like 2 or 3 colors of any given material per planet, far from what would fill up your material inventory. Since the jump between planets in unskippable you can spend it just throwing that stuff in the trash. How long does moving an item to the trash slot reasonably take you?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Some people actually like to explore planets rapidly and just spelunk for loot
Yes, I like that too. And it takes one second to click on a slot, then on another slot. If having pink sand or rainbow dirt in your inventory bugs you, trash it.
I seriously can't believe people are suggesting we need a smaller inventory or less options over this. My options shouldn't be cut down because someone else can't take less than a minute to manage their inventory every two hours.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Do you really want more busywork in your busywork game? More power to you, but most people aren't much for grognarding when they want to be interior decorators or fortress builders, and I loot because I want to make more powerful things, not for the sake of looting.
Are you serious right now? People are saying inventory should be cut down because they can't spend literally seconds per hour tossing stuff they're not going to use in the trash. I disagree and suddenly I'm some obsessive grognard? I don't want everyone's options limited because a few people can't do the absolute bare minimum of inventory management.

Cerepol posted:

I don't think anyone wants to cut down options, just cut down on clutter.

Paradoxish posted:

It's the management (ie, dumping into the trash) of common materials that's annoying. I'd actually prefer a smaller inventory on the whole.
Some people are.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A game of this genre is bound to involve inventory management. As far removed as this may be from Minecraft or even Terraria the genre is at its core largely about gathering resources and putting them to use. Guns, ore, bricks, whatever the case, it's about getting more stuff and using it to fight or build. Resource management and scarcity are important. And a game like this is inherently going to require occasionally going through the stuff you own. Throwing away dirt, stone, and sand from the last planet you visited during a forced-idle period anyway is so little effort it's practically subconscious.
If you want to reduce materials to a universal stackable form, turn your dirt to packed dirt, sand to glass, sandstone and cobblestone to bricks. If you don't care at all, toss it. It takes literally two clicks.

A "never pick up"/"trash on loot" flag for something would be fine. A universal condenser to a generic singular type of brown dirt, gray stone, and yellow sand would be fine. All I'm against is removing the options for other people.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That is pretty much it, yeah. You're discounting the massive tweaks to QOL this game has already over Terraria. Paring it down or having an option to bypass it and shape matter into what you want and have discovered would be neat.
Limiting my options because you're lazy is not an improvement quality of life. :colbert:

Anyway this is the last I'm going to rant about it. Everyone's clearly had enough dirt talk from me by now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zoe posted:

Actually now that I think about it colored dirt would be really useful for pixel art. So I still think having it as an option would be the best way to go.

Vib Rib, don't let the haters get you down! Build a museum dedicated to showcasing every kind of dirt in the galaxy in all its rainbow glory. Then take screenshots, if colors get removed future generations can look upon your exhibits and weep for all the beauty the universe has lost. (I wanted to put a crying black rhino emoticon here but the internet did not deliver :()
Well once we get unique tree seeds I'd love to make an intergalactic arboretum and showcase glassed-in planetary dioramas, using native soil, flora, and if possible, fauna from various worlds I've visited. :allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Farming is also broken right now in that you can't replicate seeds through the printer anymore.
I'm pretty sure they were never intended to be printable. You get more seeds from farming. You don't need to print them.

Enzer posted:

In other news Curse has apparently been harassing Chucklefish over not using their Gamepedia wiki as the official wiki and has been bullying the guy who started the wiki that Chucklefish has decided upon and links to in their launcher...
Ah, good to see that Starbound is keeping up the genre's tradition of ridiculous drama. :allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The original plan was that every tier would introduce a new major mechanic, right? I assume a lot of mechanics (monster taming, for instance) still aren't quite in, but I felt that concept gave a lot of structure to the game's progression through tiers. But since they were supposed to be largely done, what's the major distinction between the first three tiers now? I guess 3 introduces wire and paint, so that's not bad, but what's 2 have that 1 doesn't?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm sure this has been suggested, but I feel like a lot of the complaints about building on planets being pointless are pretty valid. Tripping between planets takes a long time, and a round trip to your home planet takes 400 fuel and a good wait. There's not much point, as it stands, to building up a home planet so mostly I just see people cramming storage chests in their ship and that's it.
The best solution, I think, is a teleporter that only works to your home planet. Visit it any time, build a city there, create a big farm, a huge base, you name it. Fuel costs and travel time prohibit ever really colonizing a world to any extent and any buildings are pretty temporary as a result. I think Tiy probably has something planned for this already, in that he did say Home Planets would be more than a simple bookmark, but sooner would probably be better on an update like this, so that construction has a more permanent feel to it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Roach Warehouse posted:

Boy, waiting for a character wiping patch is a great way to build anticipation for a game. I've barely played it, and now while I know all my progress will be rendered moot almost immediately, it's all I want to do.
You were warned that there would be character wipes, I don't know what you're expecting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of mods, my friend and I just put out the first version of our mod, which we're calling Homesick.

Thought it was kind of lame that you can only build with a very few basic building materials when there's so many blocks in the game. All these beautiful exotic building blocks and you can only get them by ripping up existing dungeons and villages. As a result, all our starting houses were these blank, samey wood-and-stone affairs with very little personality.
Which is why we made this.

Homesick adds over 80 recipes for your character. Building blocks from tech metal and avian glyph bricks to pressurized steel girders and bamboo platforms. Most recipes just use simple starter resources like clay, stone, wood, and sand, but a few of the more high tech options will require metal. Anything that uses metal we've tried to return at a decent ratio so you don't need mountains of the stuff, usually 10 blocks per bar, which is better than the game gives for most things.
We're planning on adding decorative items too, so you can at the least craft varied furniture items right off the bat. Seems silly a Glitch can't build medieval tables and chairs, after all. For now though it's just the blocks.

Hope this works!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wouldn't mind this wipe so much except I knew about it ahead of time. If the patch had just come out out of the blue with a wipe I'd be fine with it, since I could just jump right in to new content and features. But having it looming over my head is different. I guess it's the knowing that bugs me. Ignorance is bliss.

Oh, who am I kidding? I can't stay away that long.

Kiggles posted:

Very cool. Likely too big a scope to be worth it during beta, but would definitely be cool to limit tiles by race, and open some more styles with schematics added to item lists or something. Still, very nice, thanks for sharing.
Might do this, actually, but it's still not clear where and how dropped/looted schematics are handled, or where we'd put them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Underwhelmed posted:

This is such a dumb idea, and is going to ruin league play.
One can only hope.

Dukeofdummies posted:

So I just realized the other day that all of my characters are exploring the same universe. My Hyotl Dr. Punk just came across the dessicated remains of a glitch castle that my Floran Oregano destroyed two nights ago.

This means multiplayer is going to be... difficult isn't it?

I pick a home planet, and I can certainly keep it at a secret location, but the way I see it at some point I'm going to have to defend my home from a sentient griefer intent on building dicks on my home.
"Sooner or later" meaning several decades, I imagine.
Even just the first quadrant is so huge that there are something like millions of worlds in it. The odds of someone stumbling across your stuff in multiplayer are unlikely, but why would you even be playing multiplayer just to hide away on some distant planet away from everyone else? Just play singleplayer.
The universe a multiplayer server takes place in is the universe of the host. So if you're not hosting your singleplayer stuff won't be there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Saying that you can just cheat to bypass the "silly" parts of the game is a really dumb argument. You can cheat if you want but that's really not a counterpoint to anything.

Roland Jones posted:

I disagree with this, because punishing people for failure only makes it harder for them to stop failing.
But it's not like the damage you do scales directly with your pixels. Sure, they can be used to buy or craft weapons at various points, but this isn't the same as, say, losing max HP on death, or having the game cut down your strength with every failure.
This isn't really so much a punishment for doing poorly as it is a hazard for playing carelessly or out of your league. You should be able to handle your starting world without needing pixel-funded armor and weapons. The first set of armor, and one that'll do well for the start, costs no pixels. Subsequent sets are generally cheap, especially since the price was reduced in the second patch. That should be enough for a few entire worlds right off the start. After that, if you're doing poorly, you've probably overextended your grasp, and aren't equipped to handle the danger. In which case your best bet is to come back later and head to a location you can handle. If you're not playing way out of your level then while you certainly aren't guaranteed to never die for any reason, your deaths should become a lot more manageable.
At that point, pixel banking is a risk VS reward investment. You can take the hit on a number of pixels and store them, or if you're confident enough in your abilities, keep them on you and avoid the penalty. It's a matter of both risk and resource management in the game, and it's not as punitive as you're making it out to be because by the time you get to a point in the game where you will need loads of pixels to get stronger, you'll have the ability to go to weaker worlds if you feel outclassed.
There are a lot of games that send you into a downward spiral by weakening you when you die, but I really don't think the pacing and mechanics in this qualify.

Section Z posted:

Maybe if my starting world isn't made 90% out of animals with projectile streams who take out 1/3 my health if they clip me with a single bit of fire breath this time, I'd feel there was a difference of risk vs reward compared to "poo poo, how am I even going to GET enough pixels to make a 1k bar before I've scrounged up enough material to make death not an issued in the first place on my starter world?"
Well, like you said, the upcoming overhaul will hopefully fix most of these problems. And if it does it will inherently bring more balance to the pixel loss/storage decision as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rynoto posted:

If this is true then I'm just straight up modding in thousands of free coal. Because gently caress that.
Coal is pretty much everywhere though, and apparently soon in even larger quantities. Even with something as meager as a copper pick you can swim through giant deposits. How fast are you guys trying to blitz through this game?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Can I just say that for how wildly successful this game has been and for the money now involved, I am really appreciating how open and interactive Chucklefish has been? I'm just really loving enjoying the kickstarter/indie game era of user funding and glad to see revenue pouring into things like this.
It's really a breath of fresh air after Minecraft's utter lack of focus and directed response.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Frankly I'm just glad we're past the wipe point and hoping that the changes they were talking about adding character stability means we won't have another one for a while. I know they're inevitable but that doesn't mean I enjoy them or anything.

The weapons need a lot of work. Crafted ones are godly, while the ones you find feel almost useless. Now that there's only 1 tier in alpha sector, all the weapons I find are basically starter weapons at best. I found that cool legendary bone sword but it only does 9 dps, less than my starter at 10. Conversely the cheapest craftable weapon (at a mere 2 iron bars) is 75. Drops and crafted DPS seem like the biggest issues that need fixing right now.
It's weird, as hosed as the weapon balance obviously is, I still think it's a step in the right direction. The weird armor/level coordination was just kind of unintuitive in a lot of ways and now I've got a much clearer bottom line while still being able to differentiate when some part of a weapon becomes more important than a few points in DPS.

A rough start but still hopefully laying the way for better stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Aurain posted:

God, I hope there's more coal on the neighbouring planet to my starter to leave the system.
I only found 57 on a full lap of my starter.
This wood change is pretty awful.
Have you tried digging down instead of just walking around? Mineral deposits get huge underground.

e: Oh, new page.
The underground has lots of huge caverns. Explore wisely. Even if you just dig straight through solid stone you'll find openings in no time.
A copper pick can make short work of the softer varieties of cobblestone, and going 9 at a time makes it much quicker.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Geomancing posted:

You're not alone, I love building things too. I just wish more blocks were craftable from the beginning, simple things like thatch or leaves.
Plugging my own stuff again, but I made a mod for this exact purpose. Almost all the in-game building blocks that don't occur naturally (and some that do) are craftable now. You can make some pretty diverse little structures even right off the bat using simple resources.
Just put up an updated version here.

rhoga posted:

If you're looking to create the pixel bank, check your 3D printer. It's in there.
Game files says the recipe automatically gets unlocked at Tier 2, and is made at the robotic crafting table.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OneTwentySix posted:

Is mining coal/chopping logs fun? No, it's a pain in the rear end.
Does mining for fuel add any sort of balance benefit? No.
I really disagree with this.
If you go exploring for even a few minutes you'll hit so many large coal pockets you'll be able to make an inter-system jump, to say nothing of the smaller jumps. And when I say "exploring" I don't just mean "digging through solid stone for several minutes straight until you hit coal" which is what a lot of people are painting the activity of gathering coal to be. There's lots to find underground: treasure chests, mini biomes, NPCs, rare ores, and you'll find this kind of stuff on any tier. It's not that you should ever have to "grind for coal", it's that you'll get coal in the process of doing other things.
And hell, even if you don't go mining, you'll easily find enough surface coal for a jump in just a few minutes by just walking around and having a look at your planet, which I figure is what people are doing anyway.

I don't understand how people can be so starved for coal unless their idea of planet-hopping is literally just touching down, glancing at the planet, and warping back up to head to the next one. The game is designed to support exploration and travel, but it's also trying to balance in such a way that you don't pick up and leave the second you see the planet's surface. You should at least spend a little time on a world exploring, which I thought is what everyone said they were trying to do anyway, and you'll get coal just as a result. On my starter planet alone, without ever going into anything but the shallowest surface caves, I got over 600 coal just from looping around once. That's not including all the torches I made to explore the dungeons or light up the surface, either.

My point is that grinding for coal is not really a necessity, and even if it ever became one, you could have enough for a full interstellar trip within maybe two minutes. There's a balance there, and even if they haven't quite hit it yet, I don't think all these suggestions to make travel cheap as free are what we need.

As for fuel being made from common items, I think it's best if an all-purpose smelter produce pixels, not fuel. Fuel items are valuable enough in their own way that they're almost a separate currency. Why even bother having fuel ores at all if regular ores can serve that purpose as well as making tools and armor?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, why do we have an ore integral to tools and armor being used as fuel right now? (hint: coal is required for steel, durasteel, etc.)
I'm saying there are two ore trees, one for fuel, one for metallic ore, and if metallic ore is going to be fuel then we might as well just get rid of fuel entirely. Steel/durasteel/etc is not really the same issue as making higher fuels useless. Unless of course I'm misreading you and you are actually advocating coal be removed and we just use metallic ores alone.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The problem is that coal is used for every tier of crafting and making it the only fuel source (read: if it was the only EFFICIENT fuel source it wouldn't be as much of a problem) is pretty terrible and breaks the free-flow nature of the game.
It's not the only fuel source.

yancy2010 posted:

Did characters just get wiped? All of mine are gone.
Yes, because the latest patch is not compatible with old characters. So they got invalidated, rather than wiped, technically.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm not sure why you are expecting people to be fine with spending a lot of time underground to get coal.
And I don't know why you keep insisting despite every post to the contrary that you have to spend "a lot of time underground to get coal".

E: But actually on further consideration, I am expecting people to be fine with exploring underground because the game is largely about exploration. If people want to find towns and dungeons and the like, I expect them to be fine with exploring too. "Grinding" coal even for a between-systems trip only takes a few minutes tops, and that's if you don't get coal along the way just incidentally from all the other stuff you do in the game, which you all but certainly will, and without even trying. It happens during exploration, during basic gameplay. And what are you world-hopping for, if not to explore more? Why is spending more than a few minutes per planet such a horrible prospect? I could understand if you were looking for like, a specific biome, and the game didn't tell you ahead of time what the biome of the planet you were landing on was, but otherwise I can't really see why it's such a big issue.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 11, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You kind of do if you travel a lot? Some people like doing that. What is so offensive about using wood as fuel, even if they have to make it hilariously inefficient compared to coal mining?
If your complaint is that it takes too long, when "grinding" for coal will only cost you maybe two or three minutes for a full interstellar trip, how in the world is offering an even less effective alternative addressing your problem?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I thought you guys said coal only fuels 1 point now. It looks to me like it's still 2. I must have misread.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DanrewS posted:

My Starbound just started patching, 581.4 MB.
Are there patch notes anywhere?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also, Snow Infantry armor is now the weaker option, like they always said it would be, but provides a lot of warmth as trade-off. It's no longer just better than iron in every way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ViggyNash posted:

They added random tomato spawns? I'm seeing tomatoes everywhere, in places where there were none before.
It's called puberty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
By popular request, my take on a plant fuel mod.

Biofuel!
While I may personally think coal is all well and good, many folks clearly don't. And for you who want more options, there's Biofuel!
This mod lets you build a refinery which can turn planks, logs, and plant fiber into starship fuel. It'll take 2 logs, 8 planks (2 logs worth) or 8 plant fiber to make 1 biofuel can, which counts for 1 point of fuel. Essentially logs are viable again, but only at half efficiency. If you want more (or less), you can simply edit the included files.*

We tried to make it as nice as possible for such a little mod, so we actually added new graphics and an animated refinery, which is really just the forge with a new faceplate. The refinery itself is a bit of an investment originally, but it shouldn't take long to get, and you'll only need one before you're zipping through the cosmos on plant power!

Hope you guys enjoy it! (And Anime Schoolgirl, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. We'd already started on this when we saw you were and we were too into it to back out.)
As always, let me know if anything's broken or needs tweaking.

*I would recommend going into the /recipes/biofuel directory. At the top of all three recipes you'll see a quantity that defines how many are needed for 1 can. You can also change items/biofuelcan/biofuelcan.item at the bottom where it says "fuelAmount: 1" and change that to whatever you want if you just want to multiply its efficiency.

• Locked thread