Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mune posted:

I would like another few pages of this argument if possible.

It's a lot more interesting than people asking why their screen mysteriously turned blue before they mysteriously died! Hopefully the new thread OP will cut down on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

My Impressions As A Beta Tester

- No natural regen at all is really killer, especially in a game where poo poo can pretty much two-shot you at the moment. 'Just sit in a tent or a bed for a minute or so to get your health back' is a pretty dumb answer when the point of the game is to be moving around all the time. It doesn't even need to be a massive amount, just enough to slowly patch you up over time if you stay out of trouble for a while. Along with that, bandages should probably give some small amount of instant healing followed by a bit of the health regen they already have, so if people really want some fast healing in the middle of combat they can choose to burn through more bandages than would be needed during a post-battle patch-up.

- Caveman tier is still pretty boring and weird when compared with the rest of the game, and I've already had multiple people ask if it's literally just Terraria on a bunch of smaller worlds instead of one big one because they saw me hopping around with an axe and pick. Some revamp of the player's initial scenario to have it make more sense than jetting around in a spaceship while still relying on smacking rocks together would probably go a long way to help people's initial impressions, because a lot of the cool sci-fi poo poo is either being used by your enemies at that point or completely unavailable to the player until after a while.

- The game is cool and whatever but it desperately does need a lot of cool underground poo poo to be found on basically every planet. I'm well aware that not everything is implemented. (no poo poo) I'm just hoping that the dev team knows that even with the massive amount of planets to visit that people will want to spelunk a lot on the ones they think are neat.

- Crossbows are cool. That is all.

- Having better access to bombs as a viable tool and weapon would go a long way towards mixing up combat and exploration. Maybe an early-ish crafting recipe?

In any case, thanks for all the hard work Tiy and crew! Game shows a lot of promise.

e: holy poo poo whoever got varinn that custom title is the gooniest motherfucker

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

A.C. posted:

If you head to a Jungle planet or often even other planets, there's sometimes a ton of surface vegetation that you can cut with your sword to get plant fiber. It's easy enough to get that I'm running around with ~100+ bandages constantly even though I'm spamming them like crazy. There are Red Stims for faster healing in combat, which you can find in some structure types, as drops, or get a Stim Merchant in your ship/base that sells them.

Also it can't really be stressed enough that caveman tier can be skipped entirely by flying around the galaxy like Han Solo and stealing everything from every civilization you find. You can find all of the toolbenches you need early on, tons of materials and food, and magical weapons. All of the "cool sci-fi stuff" is available right away, you just have to fly somewhere and find it.

I know it's not way too hard to get a lot of bandages! I even have like 50 on my character at the moment. It's just that...natural regen is a really small thing that would make a lot of poo poo more tolerable especially for new players so you're not forced to run around with basically no health forever in the event you don't have any healing items on you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Enzer posted:

Tonight's patch should help a little bit. They are making it so that bandages are made straight out of plant fiber, so you don't need to craft fabric for them. Not a perfect solution, but it helps. I do think that stim packs should at least give you a small heal burst and then activate regeneration.

I didn't think of bandages being able to be made on the go once that patch hits, so hopefully that helps matters. Here's hoping that the tutorials eventually include a thing that lets people know they can make bandages and tells them where to get fibers.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The biggest tragedy of this game so far is that I have a Russian ushanka for my leafy head yet it doesn't give any real amounts of warmth in cold areas.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I honestly wish that vines didn't take like over a minute to cut down with the matter manipulator. They're vines.

e: I know that axes cut them down faster. It just seems stupid when in all reality someone could just pull them down if they really felt like it.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 25, 2013

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

Do you really think people can just sort of lazily tug vines apart with their bare hands?

No, I think that the thing that can fairly easily make tunnels in dirt and break apart basic rock can probably rip though a relatively thin bit of plant matter sometime this era without another ice age settling in.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

Rock takes longer than vines though.

It takes longer to break through vines than it does cobblestone. Like twice as long.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Or the devs could spend half a second to change what's probably a single value sometime, but sure, it's in the name of good game design and saving time to have a vine take as much time as a tree to chop down with the most basic tool when it comes to new players/characters that need bandages.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nevermind, forgot that feedback on a beta is taboo. :psyduck:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I think :psyduck: still sums up my response.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dropbears are your friend and they want to give your head a hug. Set them to be the next animal in the next version.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ferrous posted:

The game does this with me as well and I'm not using any mods. It only seems to do it on magma and volcanic worlds though.

It does this to me and I don't even have any mods installed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Those future plans sound amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

For some reason I really enjoy semi-detailed farming systems in games like these if I can turn the crops into either cash or actually useful stuff, so that part sounded cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Anyone had any luck with this mod? Looks neat enough to mix things up until more stuff gets added. http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/211/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Apple Craft posted:

lol Nexus. Not even once.

Okay, then the exact same mod on the official page? :shrug: I just followed some links from that mech mod linked earlier. Don't think it really matters. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/variety-is-the-spice-of-the-universe-a-universe-biome-overhaul.199/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kly posted:

Does DOTA have a lot of pedophiles?

No. It's actually pretty far ahead of the Starbound community if that's the thing being used to measure the two.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mr. Belding posted:

The goon national sport of "Look at how outraged I am! Do you see how much better of a person I am than these other people!" Isn't necessary. There's probably a kid in your town going without dinner tonight. Get outraged about that.

Oh dear. :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I thought I would be one of a very few to recognize the name Slof after so long, but I guess I wasn't the only one cruising Planet Elder Scrolls for Morrowind mods back in the day.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

shymog posted:

That might be helpful for some people, but I think we're talking about Exploration Enhanced, which has its own planetary information.

Yeah, the mod handles things differently and I haven't seen a single jungle planet since installing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's unfortunate about Darkout, since the art style looked really neat to me. If it interferes with gameplay then that's kinda crap, along with all of the balance issues making everything worse. Signs of Life reminds me of Cortex Command in a way which is pretty funny.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flameingblack posted:

I just like going underground and exploring. I was a huge fan of playing Minecraft until whatever update had Chasms which made mining pretty much irrelevant since you could find almost everything you would ever need in one chasm.

Mining in this is less of a pain than it is in Terraria, but yeah, not everything is implemented yet. Chances are if you like those aspects of the game you'll get some enjoyment out of this. If nothing else it wouldn't hurt to wait given that it's still being fleshed out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Having the aboveground portion be really shallow igloo-looking things with a hatch on top would be neat. Let everything else expand underground. Get that 'bunker' feeling going.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

People can already do a fair bit with what they have when it comes to modding, once the game is more fleshed out and the dev team fully locks down on what they want to do there should be a hell of a lot more activity.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jackard posted:

What, no whiny update on :nexus:? Wherever shall I go for amusement?

why is that an emote

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

In retrospect, the reason why is pretty obvious.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Loxbourne posted:

fans that demanded she be deported.

what

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's a shame that the projected release date for Witchmarsh is December 2015, but hopefully that's just an overestimation to cover their bases!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I don't know why but the thought of hunting for bees in Starbound is amazing.

Maybe this explains why I like setting up hives in Dwarf Fortress despite them mostly being a nuisance that gets my dwarves stung.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Doggboat posted:

I have seen it a bunch of times and it always made me sad. It makes me feel for the person getting upset and the mod, who has to intervene. Is there any way stopping that kind of cancerous poster?

Straight-up saying 'gently caress you, stop being creepy and get off these forums'. Then ban them and probate anyone fervently defending the person because chances are they're also creepy assholes and/or alt accounts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tres Burritos posted:

Yeahhhh, I keep looking in on this thread every once in a while and it's always bunch of replies griping about the official forums. I guess actual news is fairly lacking then?

We know that they're working on a few new systems (such as how melee weapons work) and are forming a plan on how to handle general game progression, but since they've been relocating the offices and all that news has been a bit scarce.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ded gaem pls refund

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i am an investor how can you do this to me!!!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If nothing else, the game will always be there later.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

People are mad at being banned because they're being shitheads?

It's kinda what Something Sensitive has been built about. Bunch of racists, etc. who got pissy that they were banned from SA, so now they obsessively stalk people related to the site. :thumbsup:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shnooks posted:

Are all game communities this dramatic? I just play the game because I like playin' games. I know nothing about modding and wouldn't know where to start even if I wanted to, so I just wait for big interesting updates, but for the most part I have no idea what's ever going on.

Games like Starbound/Terraria/Minecraft/etc. are infamous for somehow attracting some of the worst and whiniest people.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm hype as poo poo for what people are going to come up with mod-wise if this is any clue, especially since the game isn't even remotely near full completion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

From what I gathered it's basically asking if modders want them to spend a little extra time and work setting up a new system that would ultimately make it easier to mod the game, even if it invalidates current mods out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iuvian posted:

Wouldn't people with the most playtime be the ones with the best opinion on the state of the game?

Yeah, I'm sure they had a truly terrible time during the straight 24 days or so that they had it running.

• Locked thread