Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So i'm getting ready to try to run a multiplayer server. Will post the link here if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Right, so i'm messing about with how setting up a server works. Also dicking around with a new character on one. There's like three ports that aren't really defined in usage so i'm trying to figure it all out. If you're interested in messing about with MP check out 72.45.56.195.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Zlodo posted:

there's probably more to the frame rate issues bc its at a solid 60fps for me

it probably depends a lot on the gfx driver version and what gfx card you use, and its probably not just a matter how powerful it is, it basically depends on whether the driver can manage to handle the way starbound goes about things efficiently

Keep in mind that the game also doesn't exit properly. I've had to end the process manually. After I got four instances of it my computer began to chug horribly.

So make sure that's not an issue too. That being said, we triggered a massive underground landslide on our homeworld on my server. The results were crazy. Caused some odd physics issues, mobs were much easier to kill, and people could be aggressively chased by items they had picked up but hadn't reached their character yet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

On my starting planet, I managed to plunder an Avian temple full of pissed-off, laser rifle-wielding guards by dodging the first guard's lasers and slowly assassinating him with my lovely bow, stealing their prayer altar when the other guard stepped away, climbing the outside of the building, opening the door of the technotemple thing at the top so that blood-vomiting demon bats murdered most of the people inside, and deconstructing the floor under the last guard when she walked out onto a balcony area so that she plummeted out of sight. It was like I was Solid Snake channeling Snidely Whiplash; I couldn't help but chortle diabolically the whole time. It was made even better by the fact that my wife was leaning over my shoulder, urging me to "steal those things! Murder that guy! That thing looks sacred, you should steal it and put it in your spaceship."

The lesson I have learned is Always Steal Everything. If you follow this advice, you will do well in this game.

Fun fact. That sacrificial altar can be slept on. It actually seems to heal you really fast, too.

How do you see who is online on a server? Been trying to figure that out for a day now with no luck.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Seems there's no player limit on starbound MP, or rather whatever the server can handle.

We had about 20 people on my server earlier. The only problem some folks had was the chugging that can occur due to the bad optimization at the moment. Seems like the upper cap this time is whatever you can handle.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I should use my horded bricks to make something amazing before the patch destroys all my progress...

:effort:

I used the green slime blocks I found to create the :frogout: frog. One trip to a USMC base to pick up the GET OUT graffiti later, and I had it set up so that when people beamed down to my home planet on my server they were greeted by the best emote. :v:

I really should try and get a screenshot of that before it's wiped. Is it confirmed that constructions on planets are going away?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Almost done. Can't wait to get my server back up and realize I lost all my progress :stonk: and see what's new!

Edit: And it's done. Time to see if world's were wiped as well. Server should be back up too barring any complications.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 10, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

soy posted:

sweet now patch the servers i cant stand to be alone in space

I have my server up, but I never made a PGS thread for it because i'm lazy and it's set up for some friends along with SA. Should still be 72.45.56.195.

Also, holy god the server command prompt displays a lot of buggy looking text.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

Apex or GTFO.

Speaking of which, I joined a fun server the other night as 'That Damned Ape!' and had fun accidentally committing suicide over and over by falling into a pit. Anyone know if that server is still up? Can't remember its name and this thread has bloated too quickly to check.

Was it my server? We had a bunch of Apex on. Probably because we all started on a planet named Chimpanius.

Shame that there were so many of us that it started to lag that specific planet though. I eventually had to evacuate into space so I could play easily. It's great that they slow down physics stuff when a planet is loaded up like that, it but it can make fighting NPC's at the start of a character a pain.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Eheu posted:

I know with the wipe some people were trying to leave time capsules to themselves, banking on the wipe erasing their characters but nothing built on planets so that they could return to the coordinates later and pick up their stash -- how'd this work out in the end? I've tried to check but at the rate of new posts here it's hard to find.

No need for that, really. You can back up your save and park your character over a planet that you can use as a drop-off point post-wipe. If the last patch is anything to go by, so long as items aren't extremely altered, you should be able to beam down and create a supply cache. Then it's just a matter of getting your new character there and picking up any viable items.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 11, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Liberatore posted:

In reality they eventually realized that acting like everything was perfectly fine would be the best way to not get on the new tyrant's bad side.

The best part is that Glitch work in a hive mind that switches roles as needed. So if the game actually reflected that they'd just go to sleep and wake up with a new hierarchy of kings and guards the next day, sans a lot of population.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Combat Shotgun posted:

Can't stop trying to toss warhammer 40k crap into my game.

I decided to put in a thunderhawk but I have to play with the blocks file... doesn't quit fit right into the art.

Here's the art, I just pulled it offline as a kind of proof of concept and once I get it functioning how I want I'm going to redo the art into the style of the game.

And my finished dark angel space marine armor

This makes me want to do a Warhammer 40K total conversion. Not that I have the time, but the idea of choosing to play as a Tyranid and dropping onto the planet surface (complete with a ton of guard NPC's customized into various forms) would be fun as hell. Or just leading a WAAAAAGH. Which wouldn't be that much different from playing a Florian, really.

Probably should wait until the game is more complete though. They talked about building up AI settlements and stuff. Might be more potential there once they release a version that has more interactivity on that front.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Combat Shotgun posted:

The more I'm working on this crap the more I'm thinking about something like this...however I don't have the time or patience for that. Adding other races would be awesome and something I might play with at some point, although I'm not sure what the support is for non-humanoid races.

It would be cool if they implemented a random-generated hiveworld type planet. Lots of dingy above and underground living areas, npcs and big spires and stuff.

I mean, looking at this image practically begs for it, but it would probably run like poo poo

edit: Thinking about this, a Necromunda mod would be more doable I think, with gangs in place of races.

Tried to shoot you a PM. Once the game is a bit more developed i'll have more time to work on a mod like either that or a TC, depending on if the devs add in the whole "AI settlements build themselves up over time" thing they mentioned way back. If they do I could see some hilarious modding potential there that'd turn planets into war zones. I just lack the necessary art skills to do it justice. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Malek posted:

Terminator Armor please. Thanks.

It's getting harder and harder for me to say that this game doesn't need a Warhammer total conversion mod.

gently caress sakes, if they get this stuff done in the next few months i'll make it myself.

• Locked thread