Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Whoa, +500 posts since I went to bed :v:

Welp, still haven't left my first planet, because I went exploring!

Found a spawner for a doc, and now I have my personal medic vendor. Also, he has a huge loving gun!

Stumbled upon a miniboss, and immediately cheesed him. What? I didn't even had any armor. He dropped a nice spear that sets things on fire.

My world has shroom areas. Also found a couple of shroom chests with blueprints for furniture and a hat.

And then I discovered the best villain hideout ever. That robo spider looked dangerous, so I walked on for now.

Also found some robo houses. Can't wait to harvest all those shiny blocks.

Space life is simple but good!

Man, I discovered a lot of stuff just by making a trip across the whole surface of my starter planet. I haven't even spelunked underground that much. Seeing how this game has a ton of different planets full of things, all I can say is :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Protip: Shields block lasers

They actually seem to block just about everything. I haven't died since I started using a shield. And I died kinda often before, even with a magic weapon in hand. Really hope there'll be better 1H weapons somewhere, but yeah, shields are good!

Also, what I thought to be an awesome hideout,

turned out to be a sewer system.

Yeah, I'm mining poop. What of it? :colbert:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Pretty sure the shield needs to be high level enough or w/e, tried using a shield on a threat 27 planet, it did literally nothing when I blocked.
Yeah, that would make sense. Otherwise my lovely buckler that I found in a cave on my starter planet would be OP as gently caress.

Musluk posted:

In other news, found a cowboy hat:

and a grassy knoll.

:getin:
I can not even tell you how jealous I am. Really want that hat :allears:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Heads up, huge patch scheduled for a few days from now, will wipe characters.
Welp, it was bound to happen. But I just got my Kiwi farm up and running :qq:

Performance chat

So, I know that the Beta isn't optimized at all, but I have some pretty bad graphic glitches when I want to travel to another planet. Like, using the starmap makes the game suddenly change the zoom(while still having the old value in the options), my screen goes black for a bit during the jump, and all kinds of fun crashes like this

I just wanna hear if there are other Nvidia users here who have the same troubles? I have the newest drivers, and my Steam was also never running in compatibility mode.

Creature chat

Did anyone see repeated creatures so far? I'm just asking because the amount of diferent species on my starter planet alone is nuts. There are like eight different ones above ground, and four that appear only at night. I already thought that was impressive, but then I went on a long spelunking trip. And well...

And I didn't even cap all of them :stare:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'll take a break until the wipe comes. Don't want to get burned out or see too much before the game even really gets started. Had that with a couple other early access games, and I really don't want to stumble into the same pit with this one.

Double gun salute for my space shack. We had good times :hfive:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Downloading the patch right now, kinda scared by the tales of how everyone seems to get murdered all the time on their spawn world :ohdear:

Also, I'm going to miss my professional robo poop chute

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I know that shields aren't nearly as good as they used to be(do they even do anything right now?)

But I just can't let go of that matching look :allears:

And since the patch didn't wipe, I can work on making my ship not look like poo poo.

STD Bot the explorer

I stumbled upon a deformed monkey thing in a cage. There were some of those purple hooded guys nearby(Glitch I believe?). So I figured I'd be nice and let the poor thing go free. Well, after I opened the door, it punched me in the face for half my health, and a really small amount of poision. Rude! Had to put it down. The hooded guys then yelled at me for killing "Salt Face" before charging.

Also

Fittingly, this creepy world had an Apex lab.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I've gone through a couple of Apex obstacle courses, but the chest at the end always had the dash tech. Can you get other techs, or is that a fixed spawn?

Also, I finally joined the ranks of not lovely ship havers

Still needs a bit of work, but my teleporter bay is kicking rad.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Have they announced a new patch? Steam is currently downloading 500mb of Starbound things. Jfyi, I've gotten all of the past updates :shrug:

E: Huh, yeah. Their page seems to say so.

quote:

Re-posting, the build is actually live this time! Go update! :)

Changelog for v. Indignant Koala 12/11/2013
There are a whole bunch of improvements to balance here, particularly in the early game.
We aren’t wiping characters or worlds, but if you want to experience the proper balance
you should make a new character/worlds to play it on!
Also..
- Nerf the hell out of birds, they no longer attack you at long range, lower damage, don’t follow you forever.
- Monster projectiles across the board better balanced
- Shields better balanced
- Early armors better balanced
- Melee weapons better balanced
- Ores better balanced
-AI improvements
- you can now craft lanterns (similar to sixxes’ lantern mod!)
- you can now craft a new back armor to help light caves
- fixed the bubble gun crashing on mouse over
- improve grass ( Suggestion by Dracyoshi)
- You are now invincible on your ship (this requires a new character)
- You need to be hit a lot harder to get knocked back
- some UI updates
- Drills now destroy 3×3 blocks
- nerf fall damage
- You can now turn 10 unrefined wood into coal in the furnace
- New “melting” status effect on lava makes lava super dangerous (watch out)
- Other misc changes

Sounds good!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 12, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Orv posted:

That was last night, you weren't up to date.
What timezone are the devs even in? I logged off around midnight yesterday.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

This is the best bug I found so far

He gave me a very stern look after I used the monolith :v:

Also, if you ever ask yourself "What race should I play?", the only good answer is Glitch. Because everyone loving loves the Glitch!

:awesomelon:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Its great how the one race that the Florans really like is the one race they can't eat.
Yeah, I also got that vibe. One of them said that he tried to eat a Glitch once but wouldn't recommend it :v:

More random things

While exploring a forest world, I found this campsite. When I followed the tunnel to the right, it led me into some kind of abandoned mine. The place was quite large, and fully lined with wood and platforms. Was full of monsters too. It had a bunch of little camps scattered about, and tons of boxes with some random loot like flares and first aid kits.

Forest worlds also have a good chance to spawn bandit camps. Some of the jerks even carry guns, but I haven't seen them drop one so far.

But if you fight enough of them, you can become a proud owner of this neat hood.

Found this on a desert world. The Apex was rolling around in a wheelchair and attacked me with a zappy gun.

The various codex entries that you can find in villages are also pretty funny. I found a series of books in an Avian village, called "The Kluex Delusion" by Rochard Hawkwings. It has five parts, and this particular page made me lmao.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm gettin kinda annoyed by how enemies don't seem to drop guns. Just murdered the guards of a huge Avian temple, and prety much all of them had guns. But they only dropped lovely melee weapons that nobody is ever going to use. What happened to all their space guns?! :argh:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

As far as I can tell, at least in the alpha and beta sectors, they're all old and invalid. They pretty much all mention threat levels, which are irrelevant in the current version. I suppose some of the alpha TL1 ones might be valid, but none of the beta sectors' are.

I was hoping to finally get some guns in the beta sector, but this list at least isn't helping.
Huh, I seriously just now wanted to ask if the coordinates are still valid. Dang, anyone got a gun vendor in the Alpha sector?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

MShadowy posted:

It's a problem I've been hearing reported elsewhere, and I've had it myself with Floran merchants. It may also be the case with Avians for me as well, but I haven't encountered an Avian village yet in the current patch.
Can confirm that for the Avians at least. Found a huge town after starting fresh for the current patch, and only half the vendors actually sold stuff.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Glitch/Floran interaction is the best :3:
Yeah

All of them look so hyped :allears:

More random discoveries from STD Bot

I wish you could capture them for your own little farm.

This is the fanciest Glitch King I have seen so far.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I couldn't help but to think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJ9KnLwHfw

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is there already an item that let's you breathe on asteroids?

vvv
drat!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 28, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Floran are anti-peace and also scum, I'd tell you to commit genocide but they lack anything remotely resembling a culture so I guess it would just be weed whacking.

Feindfeuer posted:

Because you could also be a glitch and be loved by all florans across the galaxy.
:hfive:

Be Glitch erryday

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Can diamond tools be repaired? I tired diamond and titanium ore on the pick/drill, but no dice.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, wtf? Both ideas work. Of course, I'm going to use copper. It's really weird that you have to refine diamonds, when everything else just works with the ore.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I've never looked into mods before, but a while back somebody mentioned that there is a mod which makes crops grow even if you're not on your chosen home planet. Anybody remember that one, by chance? Kinda don't know what to search for :)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, looks like it. Thanks!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So, noob question: How do you actually instal mods? :v:

I put the content of the Persistent Farmables​ into the mod directory, but that didn't do anything. Do I need a loader, like with Fallout 3 mods?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Really loving the new version so far! A lot of little bits come together and make for a pretty good experience, despite me starting over again for each of the big patches.

Also, this version probably gave me the best start so far. Spawned on a tiny forest planet - found a huge Avian Tomb full of pixels, a few weapon drops, free gold and skeleton birds - dug down to the deep layers of the planet and found frog ruins - grabbed enough ore to advance to the diamond pick - bought a ton of bombs from the frog merchant - steamrolled over the UFO and blasted off to Beta while laughing :rms:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Trastion posted:

ok back to the Starbound talk.
Are meteorites are thing on every planet, or just on some? I just started to build my next version of Space Shack, and BAM, half of it got blown up by space rocks.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

lmao

Mozalbete posted:

It almost offends me that you call that interest, considering how they just forgot about it more than once, and how you start talking about NDAs and agreements just after I mentioned them as a clear symptom of lack of any real respect. Again, it reflects very well what they, and the community, have become. A user who makes free content for your game, should be treated LIKE A drat KING

I wish you were a troll, but you are just delusion and apologism personified, just another... person of simple mind who will defend censor using contracts as an excuse. I don't care about your pathetic NDAs or your empty words about "business interests". I analyze understanding, ethics, respecting the work of others, not trying to censor the truth about your actions. That, I don't see anywhere. I only see a grey company wielding thousand of contracts and NDAs as an excuse for censorship and banning. A monster more interested in showing that they can throw a lawyer against you than in adding content for their game, trying to look professional and experienced and failing miserably, even using forum drama to stop the development of the game, trying to look important.
:thumbsup:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

More like Starfraud am I right :downsrim:

Seriously, I'll never understand how people can be like that. All the CF statements I've read are perfectly reasonable and I'm not worried at all. I've easily gotten my money's worth just by loving around with the Beta and some mods. Didn't they say that they'll put out some bigger updates when everyone has moved and set up? You know, to make up for the pause that they actually aknowledge and have good reasons for?

Well, on the other hand, I learned that I could never be a game developer. Because I would eventually goatse my own forum and tell everyone to get out before I nuke it.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So what you are saying is that there was a secret goon subforum so secret that even most goons didn't know about it? And that they made shitposts in there?

BUTTERWORBS posted:

thank god, wouldn't want to slow down this bullet train lmao
lmao

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Buying Starbound was a good idea because I had fun with a neat space game, got a ton of free laughs from retarded fans/posts/tweets, and will probably have fun again in 2032 when the full release gets out.

In short

Scratch-O posted:

I love my dead, gay spaceblock game

mollygos posted:

HI GUYS WHAT'S GOIN ON IN THIS THR--
Less posting and more developing please

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i wanna see that chart

Ragequit posted:

Tyi which one of these is "Piss off socially stunted Starbound backers"? Hopefully all of the circles, followed by "Nerd tears" in the rectangles.

lmao

Kyrosiris posted:

And can you actually pinpoint actual cases of "being misled" or "blatantly lied to"?
I too want to see the plot thicken

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

The about face on the refunds policy was a pretty glaring example. Starbound development funds being used on other games is another violation of trust between investor/investee. I'm sure I could dig up more but they will be dismissed.
So what you are saying is that every single cent and dollar has to be spent on Starbound, instead of spreading probably excess cash into another product so that the company can realize a long term business that goes beyond releasing this single game? I am no business man though, so I could be wrong on this.

Kyrosiris posted:

And you have proof of this? Because they've adamantly stated at every point that stuff like the pirate game, their publishing arm, etc. do not draw from Starbound funds.

(also lmfao "trust between investor/investee")
E: drat people post too fast

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally, I'd have paid $15 just to watch all this drama unfold. This is probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a really long time and I haven't even played the game much in over a month. I'll play the poo poo out of the next stable build and find other stuff to do in the mean time, however long that is, but my goodness this is just too entertaining to not watch.
We see eye to eye on this matter

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 8, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

The money can be spent how they choose as long as it is spent in good faith towards the development of the game. The backer money wasn't given to Chucklefish for Chucklefish, it was given to develop starbound. Spending time and money on other projects with that small a team takes away resources from a lagging project. I am not ignorant to multi-tasking and investing profit into the business but for the amount given and produced work, it doesn't add up.
So if I do a kickstarter for a 1000$ game, but people go nuts and fund me 10k, then I have to come up with 9000$ worth of more stuff for the game or I'm bad?

I don't think this is how kickstarter works at all, bud.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

You have to remember that it wasn't long ago that the forums straight up broke, we're still recovering from that, but seriously stay with us 'cause we've got some great posts in the works, if you want an early look at what we're currently working on you should check out the IRC.
You can also subscribe to my blog and take a look at the nightly previews of the great posts that I and my team are crafting. There are exiting times ahead for something is awful dot com, let me tell you!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

A Day In The Life Of A Chucklefish Employee:

1) Walk into office
2) Play with dog.
3) Leave work
4) Sleep, knowing you're doing this 6 days a week.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

My opinion on the matter is

Thank you for reading

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

Well, I'd assume the reason they'd keep generic 'can't mine X without Y pickaxe' would because Terraria and whatever other digging games do it, and calling it "a sense of progression" when you are screaming at your screen because you've spent the last two hours walking past piles of iron and whatever amounts of silver and gold because you just can't find those first scraps of copper that are "So easy to get you guys." While walking past any platinum or diamonds you'd normally dig up to save for making a shiny new pickaxe later, because you are not allowed to dig plat without gold, and no diamond without plat.

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER progression metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).

THE PENETRATOR posted:

confirmed worst change 2014
It's loving awful and dumb

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Congrats starbound sycophants on reaching $30 dollars spent on redtext. This is the kind of grassroots activism we need to do reclaim this thread from the obsessive weirdos from reddit/4chan.
Please tell me what the red text was if it was funny.

On the retarded mineral gating, it's retarded and would probably kill the game for me. Like, all my plays of this game have consisted of rounding my starting planet to get my basic poo poo and some stash for later going, so that I could then gently caress around and have fun. I don't want to scour the universe for another piece of copper so that I then can gather all the other ores that I bypassed earlier. I never understood this stupid arbitrary grind "gameplay" that some sandbox games apparently made the standard. I never played minecraft, and picked up Terraria on a whim when it was like 2 bux. It was literally the first sandbox/crafting/whatever game I ever played. The mineral grind got on my nerves, but at least the game is properly balanced so it wasn't too bad. Then I learned that I can do it all over again once you get to hardmode, and never touched the game again. I just wanna have fun and gently caress around, which I can do with the current mineral system in the stable build.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

I just don't want the beginning of starbound to basically be the beginning of Mass Effect 1. Just a boring rear end slog until you finally get off the citadel and get a ship, then everything is sunshine and rainbows.
And that's why I think that the mining changes are so super loving bad. Because they'll make the game like that. Last time I played the stable build, I spent like 2 hours raiding the surface of my starter planet(was a large one so that's why), and ended up with all the basic tools I needed, iron weapon&armor and could summon the first boss if I wanted. That's how I think the game start should be, because I'm free to explore or progress, instead of grind more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

You know who else moved to an expensive European city to live our their artistic fantasies?

Shoehead posted:

Best post in this entire thread

Neat

• Locked thread