Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

How much is the minimum fuel to make a jump to another planet, and does it cost a proportional amount to distance to fly back home?

Jumping to another star costs 300 fuel. Jumping to another orbit in your system costs 100 fuel. Jumping to another planet in the same orbit (going from planet to moon orbiting said planet) costs 1 fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Found a frog-man merchant in some underground brick house. He was selling bombs for 10 pixels each. I'm now sitting on 150 bombs. :toot:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Patch increased the tileDamage of all pickaxes by 0.2. For reference, the diamond pick went from 2.5 to 2.7, and the stone pick went from 0.6 to 0.8.

e: ^ Sorry, I didn't save the coordinates. :(

e2: Dupe bug still works, if you're into that.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 6, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
A tip that might be good for the OP: Don't use regular beds! Things like the Apex torture table and the Avian sacrificial altar heal you 2.5 times as fast as a regular bed.

Also, if you find a human dungeon with heaters, take them! They have almost 3 times the range of campfires.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 6, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

If you add new sectors, is there any way to unlock them? I'd like to add one I can visit but I wouldn't know how to unlock it so I could actually go there.

You can add sectors to the unlock items in /assets/items/generic/celstial.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Found a TL4 Glitch castle on a tiny forest moon, very close to spawn if you want to use it as a homebase.

-79510235 , -16805844
Alpha Terminatus 1786 II e

Left of spawn.

I also found two flasks of whiskey in there. Glitches know how to party.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Has anyone found an accordion yet? I want to play the cantina music on one.

The bandage recipe change is a godsend. Crafting them out in the field is piss easy now.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Is there really no way to change tech slots quickly? Actually, why aren't all slots active at the same time?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Outer space is pretty cold, it turns out.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Aurain posted:

How do I interact with the anchor to buy guns from the pirates?

Build your way up, following the chain.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
That armor/damage revamp can't come soon enough, the current system is borderline broken. Threat level 22 planet, wearing Titanium armor for 25 defense, blocking with a shield and I still get one-shotted by everything.

e: Turns out I'm getting one-shotted because I'm blocking. Not blocking makes me take about 5-10 damage, where as them hitting my shield would cause 100 damage and kill me instantly. :wtc:

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 6, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Also does food do anything aside from fill the hunger bar? There seems to be a huge set up for tons of different food, but it seems like a waste of effort to try and make.

Some (all?) of the crafted foods have hidden bonuses. Bread for example will not only fill up about half your hunger bar, but also heal you similar to the medical kit. Banana bread will give you health regen, speed boost and a faint glow.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
What was that application people suggested for making .abcs out of midis?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Thank you kindly.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's very easy to get your old character to load up in the new version, by the way. Just change the "SBPFV1" to "SBPFV1.1" with your text editor of choice. It crashes when trying to use the navigation console though, but you can atleast transfer your sweet cowboy hats and guitars.

35699741 , -28930981
Gamma Kappa-1 Cet 4964 VII
Arid moon

Has both butterfly boost and gravity neutralizer basically right next to eachother. Head left until you find the obstacle course, then dig below it.

Techs were nerfed pretty hard with the new patch though, since the energy regen is so much lower.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
People complaining about fuel: Dig down. I went to the core of a small moon and left with almost 300 pieces of uranium ore. I'm never going to have to dig coal again.

It's ridiculous how much ore you can find at the core now.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

GreenMarine posted:

What pets? I haven't seen any talk of pets in this thread or maybe I missed it.

At T3 you unlock the ability to craft pokeballs which you can capture/tame enemies with.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They should just make shields always block all damage (except maybe bosses or something) but consume energy while doing so.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

victrix posted:

This might seem strange, but one of my biggest frustrations with Minecraft, Terraria, and now this is how pointless it is to build incredibly cool structures.

I wish this game had a more Stronghold type element where different structures actually had gameplay aspects hooked up to them, and the world was set up to interact with your structures as well.

I know a lot of people love building for the sake of building, and I can appreciate that, but I don't personally enjoy it much :(

I think it'd be really neat if we could for example set up automated mining bases that would poo poo out ore for us over time. Higher TL planets would yield more/better ore, but be harder to defend against the local wildlife and harsh weather.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure they're going to make hunger an optional thing later on.

Hopefully they'll also let you make hunger and heat a bigger deal. Right now hunger is a non-issue once you set up even a tiny farm, and heat is never really an issue since you can just carry around campfires and survive outer space naked.

Oh, has anyone tried enabling the oceanic planets? Are they broken, or are they just saving them for later tiers?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

Have the devs mentioned anything about managing temperature on really hot planets like desert and lava biomes? It's weird having to manage temperature on cold planets but you can dive right into lava and it barely matters.

I don't think they've said anything about that, but yeah, it'd be nice if temperature was a two-way street.

I just want more enviromental hazards in general. Acid rain, radiactive dust storms, volcano eruptions.

e: I don't understand how so many people are having problems with fuel. I left the starter planet with enough coal and uranium to fill up my tank a dozen times over. Are people just not digging down at all?

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 12, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

My cluster grenade ended up a little different. I wonder what the different colored grenade means.

Different elemental damage maybe? Does your green cluster grenade poison stuff?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Emy posted:

First question: no, without mods all the beds have the same regen.

That's not true at all. Regular beds heal at 2% a second. "Special" beds like the interrogation table and sacrifical altar heal 5%.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

DrunkYardGnome posted:

What's the best way to recover health once you get to X Sector? I've just been spamming the hell out of bandages but I feel like there's a better way given bandages only heal 20-30 health and I have over 300.

Food. Specifically, crafted food. Banana bread for example will give you 30 seconds of health regen along with a 15 second jump and speed boost. Regular bread heals a certain amount instantly.

If you don't need health right away, just bring an interrogation table with you and heal between fighting.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Having a grief-preventing system for your ship is probably a good idea. Then again, if one did exist I wouldn't have been able to place poop all over my friend's ship. He was not amused.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

gibbed posted:

But does the Helm glow in the dark. :colbert:

Make the helmet give off three strips of blue light and it'd be perfect.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

You know what's fun?

Designing armor is fun.

I love the beetle ones, especially the last one.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

That is genius.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Environmental hazards? Oh yes. :getin:

Planets are in dire need of more stuff differentiating them. Snow planets being virtually the same as volcanic ones doesn't make exploring that fun.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Nanohahn posted:

I recall seeing a mod linked earlier that made the torches cast shadows, but I can't seem to find it now. Would anybody happen to have a link to that still? I've searched the official mod repository to no avail.

Just add " "pointLight" : true, " to the torch.object file in /assets/objects/generic/torch/ and it'll cast shadows. I'm not sure if it has any impact on performance. I assume it does, because otherwise I'm sure the devs would already have all lightsources be pointLights because it looks way prettier.

e: Actually, going to try making all lightsources I know of be pointLights and see how it goes.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 17, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Syndlig posted:

So point lighting looks rather interesting

Big downside is it's a lot more resource intensive than regular lighting. Big upside is it looks really cool.

Yeah, I changed pretty much every light source in the game to be point lights and it looks great. Just don't change the invisible lights on your ship to be point lights. My framerate was maybe 0.5fps. :v:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Tulip posted:

I think they mostly eat florans.

That'd be a great twist.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I hope they'll make higher-tier versions of the furnace. They stick out like a sore thumb in all these high-tech environments. Even just cosmetically different furnaces would be nice.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Malcolm posted:

One thing I wish I'd done on the tier 1 and 2 planets is save up a bunch of coal. I put most of it into my fuel tank and thought 1,000 wood would be enough to get me through, but then later found myself limited by a lack of coal. The higher tier metal bars all require 1 coal each, so you can go through several hundred before you know it. Chop down those forests, leave yourself 100 coal per tier of armor/items you want to speed through during this early beta phase.

I can usually get by with just using uranium for fuel at that point.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Did the patch do anything to oceanic planets? I just want to build a rad underwater base.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

How DOES one start a new universe anyway?

Just delete your universe folder.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

goodness posted:

Yes, torches should work if held in hand!

The only problem is that would make the flashlight obsolete 2 minutes into the game.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I use the flashlight with a one-handed weapon all the time. I guess that's just me. :shrug:

e: Then again, I haven't actually played since they added the lantern backpack.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 25, 2013

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It'd be nice if they just said "gently caress off" to everyone crying about character wipes. Them having to make sure they don't change anything that maybe possibly breaks saves in every patch is going to make updates take longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

xzzy posted:

That's exactly what they do, isn't it?

As Pilchenstein said, only for the first wipe. I guess I can't really blame them though, they already get enough vitriolic bullshit spouted at them on their twitter/forums.

• Locked thread