Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shoehead posted:

The codex stuff I wrote for them is literally that they don't have to worry about dying so instead of being all stuffy like Tokienien elves they want to see as much rad poo poo as they ever can across the entire universe, because they have the time.

I might have them partially explode while respawning...

Can you please give them the Devil Lock as a hair style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I wish there were ways innately to actively mass-harvest resources though. I want that retarded-assed mega machine from Fern Gully in Starbound, just rolling across the surface devouring everything, spewing smog into the air and blatantly ruining the planet you unleash it on, but harvesting literally everything and leaving just barren dirt, unable to foster any growth afterwards. The singing smog dude can be DLC.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Preemptively railgun mech-ing every Agaran settlment I come across. For the glory of Christ.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

goodness posted:

@Skellie Modder,
You should make the weapons from " Zombies ate my neighbors". You already have the clothes down perfectly.

And the music. Wanna blast some "Zombie Panic!" up in this bitch.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That explosion looks super familiar. Is that the Ultima VII cannon-ball explosion? :eyepop:

If so, "Haha holy poo poo."

If not, "Haha holy poo poo, I'm bad at explosions."

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I was forum banned :(

Some guy made a topic entitled "How has Starbound taken over your life?" or some poo poo. This was unacceptable.

I stated "OP is a loving idiot." This was also unacceptable.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Someone making a thread about how they play a video game they like a lot? Unheard of! I can't stand for this injustice!

I couldnt. Saying "... has taken over your life" immediately reminded me of the horse-tits arguments, the poo poo-monster debates etc. It was too much. That people could take a game to such extremes was too much to comprehend on the spot. I shot up/poo poo up the thread.

ButtLord was my name on there, Cosby avatar.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 26, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Richey posted:

Yeah, thats a really lovely reason. You sir, deserve neither the butt name nor the Cosby avatar.
Turn in your badge and gun.

If I could do it all again, I'd have used a racial slur instead.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

I've gotten zero warnings on those forums so far, and in fact have been rewarded with a badge. The chucklefish mods fear my power, soon it will be too late to stop me.

You fiend. Better not get Richey mad!!!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Oh I banned you.

I was feeling bad but now...

Yep the public shaming thing seemed to work pretty well tbh. No more deleting posts (so no more censorship bitching), just straight up bans.

Its ok :) I hold no ill will.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

What's with "creative" games always having such vile communities?
I can understand MOBA's or fighting games' communities being like that since they're focused around PvP competition but games like minecraft or starbound?

You find the same in alot of simulator/wargame communities believe it or not. Its an interesting question, but not totally resigned to the creative-type of games. I'm not sure on any exact correlation though aside for both being the butt of "lol autism" jokes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Really surprised there's no Ork race yet for this. A buddy of mine was taking a swing at it, but he's the only person who cant run Starbound it'd seem! Ridiculous FPS drop etc.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babyface Mingo posted:

Cause there's that other game that looks like a oldschool zelda game but doesn't look really lazy and poo poo?

Why's Chucklefish keep announcing games rather than working on their one? :confused:

VVVV : Ahh that makes sense then

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 9, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God, I wonder how the hell I even got 57 hours on the game. I barely recall even having played it :confused:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

Got banned by Lowtax for sassin'.

Thats a shame, he seemed like an OK-guy on the Starbound forums :(

He only gave me a warning for telling some thread-starter something degrading. A class act in my book.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Everything about that thread is hilarious. Holy poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BUTTERWORBS posted:

thank god, wouldn't want to slow down this bullet train lmao

:eyepop:

Check this fucker out. Saying whats on my mind before I realize it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

So my buddies and I were playing tonight, had the server crash, and now our home planet is completely reset :negative:

So that's goodbye to the house that we've spent the last 20 or so hours of gameplay on. Oh well, as good a reason as any to throw in the towel until the next major update.

But!

BUT!

Did you enjoy those 20 hours?

If so, you've made a big mistake because you accidentally got your money's worth. A big mistake indeed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

qft

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Plus the intended random nature of planets, you may get really boned and your progress slowed even more.

Maybe they could adjust the seed to artificially boost resources etc in that first-level of planet to get people to that base-line faster? Presumably when you go to the next sector, you'll be much better off in your Tier 1 gear than unequipped in sector 1, as well as being more confident with game fundamentals etc to assure you make the most of what you find.

Jackard posted:

At least Starbound doesn't have durability.

..right? :ohdear:

:( Unfortunately it does.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Caveman tier would own if you were a legit loving caveman during it.

That would be loving amazing. Have each tier analogous to some level of mankind's historical development somehow, or have it "themed" around it. Early on you wear animal skins and use stone weapons. Copper hits and you get some decent tools etc. And it grows from there with "Modernish poo poo" being tier 7 or so.

Could even fit in "Oh but my Iron-age age guy wouldnt have a jetpack!" by giving them some bizarre winged shoulder-apparatus ala some long forgotten Greek or Roman inventor.

Wouldnt fit the whole space-ship thing though sadly :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ernie Muppari posted:

First boss is a monolith you have to hit with a bone club.

Or some random, arbitrary object/piece of decor from the last tier of tech. A loving super space fridge or air conditioer that plummets to earth, or some poo poo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

Hmm. Perhaps there is some sort of happy medium between industrial PR machines and sloppy, inexperienced community involvement that ignores anything that deviates from the grand vision and summarily degenerates into a majority of the staff crying on social media while trying to heavily moderate as much discussion as possible.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Have the devs decided on a way to totally redo progression lately? Or is that a quarterly thing?

heh heh heh take that chucklefish!!!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Supernorn posted:

http://playstarbound.com/august-18th-more-manipulation/

Lots of people talking about things they have no knowledge or understanding of in this thread so how about we keep it to talking about the actual game instead?

Looks excellent!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm ok with that, as long as it isnt too restricting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Leo Showers posted:

Okay, so beside the mystery secret forum thing, has the game been completed since I last played it, which was around Feb. I really don't want to update and play it if it hasn't been completed because it got boring with nothing else to really see or do.

Nope, not yet

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Leo Showers posted:

what the gently caress is this

Read the rest of his posts lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

You're a part of the general public you idiot, what does this post even mean

edit: I've figured it out. The real reason the goon subforum got shut down is not because it was leaked to the public but because people can't stop being morons every 5 minutes for no reason.

Nah man goons arent the general public and are inherently better and more credible because *farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt*

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RentACop posted:

MWO thread got really good after the transverse announcement

Good good? or "Haha what the hell thread" good?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

So is Starbound a game yet?

Not til someone mods in a SURGE soda machine. Fully functioning.

Ernie Muppari posted:

nothing wil ever be a game again

Also this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Afraid of Audio and Devour of Fire are the thread's two greatest heroes IMO

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Afraid of Audio posted:

They've overstepped their Starboundaries.

:eyepop:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I ahhh... cant help but notice that the main dev's lil' character avatar thing seems to have a fedora?

Whats the story with that, I wonder...

Hmm...

Makes a man wanna get... SLANDEROUS

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Can I use the instruments in the game to sing a nasheed, or would that crash the game due to a paradox?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

Starbotched

SHITbound!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Broke a sweat thinkin' of that one.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

I like how when somebody suggests doing something with shields in this outer space spaceship spaceman game, the first response goes to "ah yes, I'm looking forward to the upcoming changes to the sword n' board."

loving seriously

Get outta here with that sword and shield poo poo

Get a gun and have a fun

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Carecalmo posted:

Here, have a blog post about mining:
http://playstarbound.com/september-23rd-digging-deeper/

I think I've never followed a game's development as closely as I have this one. The blog is a really good way of learning about the crazy amount of things that need to be worked out in relation to each other before something works right and is fun to play.

In the start, I was hoping to have some more stable builds released, but as of now, I can kinda see why this is untenable. Mining in nightlies has been a chore - that's because it hasn't been balanced around the new progression system yet. I'm pretty confident we'll have a fun game to play some time later.

Yeah, they do an admirable job in keeping the blog updates coming. I cant fault them for that, at least.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy poo poo, is that in Terraria already? Looks cool as gently caress

EDIT: Seems the MM changes are, packetmantis. Thats the only way to see em to my knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I still don't understand why people like having to dig for their resources. Just give me everything at the start so I can actually build something cool instead of wasting 4 1/2 hours digging for useless materials.

The mining simulator genre has reached its end. Its time for the organization of miners and general labor simulators to arise.

BEEP BOOP BIRD MAN GOT BLACK LUNG BEEP BOOP

• Locked thread