Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bown posted:

Yeah AS are a good few years removed from their "lovely 4am stoner programming" reputation now. China, IL is incredible too.

Yeah, but they still waste most of their air time on KOTH, American Dad, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Funkmaster General posted:

I agree with you except KOTH, American Dad, and Aqua Teen are all fantastic. Also fantastic: Bob's Burgers. Actually the only things on the lineup that I think are complete wastes of space are Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, Robot Chicken, and at least half of the toonami lineup.

Oh, I agree that those are great shows. It's just that KOTH and American Dad are on multiple stations already anyway, and Adult Swim has more than enough programming at this point that they shouldn't need to play two of each. Family Guy is by far the most annoying, because whenever I decide to actually turn on AS it'll be a family guy episode I remember watching on AS 12 years ago.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The two leaked new episodes were excellent.

In fact, the only episode of the show I didn't like or love was Rixty Minutes. I don't think I've ever seen a television show lay on the monkey cheese so hard.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 12, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I loved that episode since I like whose line is it anyway.

Give me my loving, enchiladas

Oh that's right, I actually forgot that the skits were all improvised. I still didn't find them funny though, I feel like anyone could improvise and get the exact same result because it literally didn't matter what they came up with.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

be therrrrEEEErrrrrEEEErrrr

Boggle?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A few things I love about this show:
- It holds continuity even though it really doesn't have to.
- The contrast between Rick's crazy adventures and Beth and Jerry's comparatively mundane stories is a good balance and I hope they keep it up.
- It obviously isn't afraid to go deeper and darker with moments of seriousness, and there are layers to Rick's character.

That said, I have to echo that Rick attempting suicide was a maybe a little too much, at least this soon in the series. This is really the very first instance where we see a crack in his loving life/no fucks given demeanor.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tendales posted:

I will be zero percent surprised if this show takes a Moral Orel/Bojack Horseman turn for the rest of its run.

I kind of will. At least this soon. Unlike with Orel, here they have a runaway hit that people are already obsessing over/cosplaying, etc. It's clear people love this as Futurama 2.0.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Talorat posted:

Yay now we are all synced up. Leak watchers and otherwise. Can't wait for next week.

we are finally one dot!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like the ending would have been better and not so over-the-top dark for the sake of dark if Rick had just switched off the machine at the last second, backing out. I know some of you theorized that he knew he would pass out, but I don't think so. Why would he test it first? He was definitely fully intent on killing himself and it only didn't happen because he got "lucky."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

This show is amazing. I fell in love with it at the scammer simulation episode, especially when Rick blew them up with a cesium bomb, and they didn't bother to explain the joke.

I think that episode is the best starter episode to introduce the show with. It's got all the hallmarks of R&M without anything too weird or unrelatable. Plus Jerry's B story is probably the best B story so far.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This is any different from The Simpsons how?

Classic era Simpsons often had a first act that introduced the main story for the second and third act, but a lot of Family Guy (and non-classic Simpsons) episodes go from point A to B to C to D to etc

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I hope they stop naming episodes with "Rick" and "Morty" word puns because it makes it hard to remember which episode is which.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

So, it's right after Beth doesn't kill Jerry. Near the end of the episode, there's a cut to the view of the house having the blast doors open, and almost immediately, Rick says "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi", a fake catchphrase introduced in a fake memory.

Killing the parasites didn't erase their gained memories, so Rick said "Rikki-Tikki- Tavi"! and "that's the waaay the news goes!" because they were now implanted in his catchphrase repertoire. It's not proof that the ending was a false memory.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Holiday Lobster posted:

I'm at the point where I don't care if he was real or not. I just want sleepy Garry back so Jerry can be happy.

E: also maybe Tinkles.

Surprised we haven't discussed this further, because it's kind of another can of worms like MPB. Did Sleepy Garry awaken bi or gay feelings inside Jerry? Is Jerry secretly gay? If you have memories of enjoying gay activities implanted in your brain, does that imply that being gay can be a choice?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I noticed, between when Rick inspects the Uncle Steve parasite and when Rick fumbles for his raygun, his gloves disappear.

well, whenever you notice something like that... a wizard parasite did it!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Echoing other sentiments, this is probably my least favorite episode so far, though it might improve on rewatch.

Mike N Eich posted:

Definitely had it's moments but was probably the weakest of the season. Something about the episode felt very...Futurama-y. (Which isn't meant to denigrate Futurama but the zany tone doesn't really fit this show).
I thought the exact same thing. It felt like a newer Futurama episodes, where the sci-fi is a vehicle to spoof pop culture more than for an adventure. R&M seems to work best when it fully commits to the sci-fi adventure and the humor comes organically from the crazy situations. ]

The religion B-story was hacky as hell.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

tarlibone posted:

Mainly, I think, the B-plot brought it down. I get that big heads controlling the weather might make some people immediately think that it's God, but I'm pretty sure the Smiths would be immune to that, although they might be the only ones who suspect that something space-y is going on. It just didn't work for me. It was too much too fast. I would have found riots easier to believe.

Yeah exactly. Plus the fact that Rick basically knew what to do right away should have tipped them off that it wasn't God.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
this is a little nitpicky, but I think the ship is more fun as a piece of junk made out of literal garbage and not GlaDOS: the ship. Not criticizing the designs, of course, just the decision.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jessica nonchalantly reacted to Tiny Rick being a clone for the same reasons everyone else who knows the Smiths brushes off their sci-fi adventures: they're used to it, and it's the show's way of not bogging down episodes with trope-y cover-up scenarios.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't particularly care for Rixty Minutes - I feel like anyone could make up random poo poo and then let the animators extract some humor out of whatever you came up with. In this one the segments were even more forced, and pointing out that you didn't really want to do it, making that obvious, and then pointing out that most of them lazily ended in a violent punchline doesn't automatically make it more enjoyable to watch. Thankfully the B story made the episode worth watching, though just barely. A couple segments were okay. I was not looking forward to this one and I really hope they don't do another one.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 21, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

I am Reverend posted:

Biggest laugh I got was from the bargle glarb aliens' olypmics with them like measuring the spray with a yard stick. Whenever the internet inevitably produces a gif of that then this episode will have been worth it imo.

Same here, ironically the only one that was not improv.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

The improv isn't even the joke. The joke is someone recorded a bunch of nonsense and out of that came some animation to accompany it. Like, Octopus Man is Roiland laughing his rear end off at nothing and the actual animation has jack poo poo all to do with what he's saying. The contrast owns.

Yeah and literally anyone could do this and get the same result. It's just like Shmorky animating Lowtax's daughter's ramblings. It's funny and cute the first time, but you can't just keep doing it and expect them to keep being comedy gold (Shmorky and Lowtax ended up doing like 10 of those). I know this is only the show's second time doing it, but it seems pretty obvious that they didn't really want to do it and the quality suffered.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

"i could do as good!" says random unfunny goon on the internet

Almost none of Justin's ramblings in this episode were funny, clever, or creative. As others pointed out, the humor comes from how the animators interpret his ramblings. ANYONE can ramble off stupid nonsense.

Toxxupation posted:

If you genuinely believe this, then fine whatever, the only thing that irritates me about the people bitching about this episode is that the cover up their transparent dislike by trying to make increasingly contrived arguments that illustrate they have no idea the actual process of television production
:smug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

a cop posted:

Yeah ok buddy.

listen to the "plumbus" segment without looking at the animation.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

yeah that was one of the funniest parts of the episode?

I actually agree that it was one of the best parts, but it has nothing to do with Justin's ramblings and made up words and everything to do with how the animation team interpreted it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

sure, if you know what you're talking about support your opinions, unfortunately most people itt either don't or, worse, are grossly misinformed and essentially talking out of their rear end

The entire point of Rixty Minutes and this is that the improv is objectively bad. Would it be funny if Roiland was on a stage alone saying this stuff? Well, maybe, but not for the reasons you would pay to see someone perform improv comedy. It only "works" here (subjective) because of how they interpret and animate it and because it's an alternate reality so it doesn't matter. They fully admit that they're just bullshitting around in the commentary for Rixty Minutes. I wasn't a fan of the whole concept the first time around, and this time they couldn't even commit to the scenarios they came up with and just said gently caress it - violence.

If you find Roiland's improv inherently funny in itself then fine, but if someone doesn't care for this concept they're "talking out of their rear end"?

Earlier I posted that "anyone could ramble off nonsense" and I realize that that was a bit hyperbolic, but you also don't have to be a creative genius either to be given a frame for a concept and ramble on about it when literally anything you spit out will be animated anyway. And yes I'm aware that they probably did a bunch of takes and selected the best ones.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo you are insufferable.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tendales posted:

I think the episode would have been better if they'd just gone ahead and cut off Jerry's dick. Killing Jerry but not really, back to status quo is kind of weak for R&M.

they could have replaced Jerry with a version of Jerry that went through with the procedure, so that Jerry doesn't even get to live in a reality where he is a hero.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mutation posted:

Yeah the "Purgenol Free" bit seems like it was a really clunky way to get it across that Rick was lying to Morty to protect his character. Wouldn't Purgenol riddled food be problematic on a planet where it only happens once a year?

They could've just had "INGREDIENTS: JUST CHOCOLATE AND CARAMEL, NO PURGENOL HERE" or whatever.

I blame this on Typical.

They did this so there wouldn't be any debate as to whether or not Morty was having his true colors emerge. Of course, I'm sure someone will now argue that the manufacturer of that candy bar actually lied about it being "Purgenol free" as some sort of social experiment or something.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

The Purgenol Free joke came off a little bit too telegraphed and on-the-nose to really hit that funny spot for me

Because its not so much a joke as it is a "Yes! Morty's character is evolving, do not debate this!" disclaimer.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Very good episode.

I'm fine with having the premiere of season 3 be the follow up to this, but I really don't want this to become heavily serialized, and I hope this isn't a sign of that happening. Every show is serialized now and the fun of Rick and Morty is that you you can simultaneously turn off your brain and also experience a mindfuck adventure without having to follow an ongoing story.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Some folks don't handle complexity well. If a show's wacky and funny, then it should only be wacky and funny, how dare they try to do something interesting with the characters or reveal character or show growth!

No, don't get all smug. Endings like this and Rick attempting suicide don't land with everyone because they're kind of tacked on, a last second change of tone preceded by 20 minutes of wacky comedy. I'm not saying it was terrible, but it does come across as a bit manipulative. A proper drama would spend at least the whole episode building up to that ending.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure how I feel about Earth joining the galactic federation. The show already addressed having sci-fi stuff on Earth by having the characters not really question it. But having Earth be "normal", I thought, provided a nice balance to the sci-fi. This show should also avoid becoming Futurama 2.0 and this sort of puts it closer to that.

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Yeah but one of the most cathartic moments of the season was Jerry getting gunned down for being the very turd burglar we've come to know.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think there are a lot of moments when we're actually supposed to sympathize with Jerry, and this was one of them. They basically put him on the spot in an unfair lose-lose situation. I mean, we all would have done the same thing, right? (try to avoid losing our penis, not sticking it into a guy undergoing surgery)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, cob planet is a hell of a lot funnier if the joke is that they never explain why they can't live there, and everyone just takes it for granted that they can't because cobs.

Not everything has to be :lost:.

Actually, not explaining why they can't live there is very much like :lost:

and I mean that as a compliment to both the joke and Lost.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's never even stated that he actually does eat his own poo poo. It could be just an insult from the other Ricks.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't even make the poo poo/brownies connection, and I still enjoyed the scene because the idea of mixing a few chemicals together to have instant no bake brownies is entertaining enough.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have to ask why people obsess over these two particular showrunners so much more than like any others, ever?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

The primary Simpsons VAs all make like $400K per episode. They're not having trouble paying their mortgages.

Yeah, and they sometimes literally phone in their lines. I don't feel any sympathy for whatever "contract woes" they complain about.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone tell me the name of the song at the end of S01E09 where it's like "X gon' give it to ya" ??

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
both versions of "Hurt" are good for different reasons. Reznor's version, while teen angsty, has a creepy, disturbing edge to it that does capture the feel of someone about to commit suicide. Cash's version is a somber reflection on a long hard life of regrets that someone like Cash would have lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The best Futurama episodes are the crazy adventure / high concept ones and every episode of Rick and Morty is like those. I usually tell people who haven't watched Rick and Morty that if they liked Futurama they would like it.

• Locked thread