Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Was anyone else fully expecting Rick to snort the alien after he vaporized it?

Yeah, I laughed pre-emptively and then it got darker.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also a bit messed up how Beth was acting like a little kid scared of going into daddys office in her own house.

Yeah, Rick is pretty messed up and he messes up everyone around him, basically the theme of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Morty shows too much self-awareness and growth to be an idiot.

But it only developed recently. At the start of the show he was def an idiot but it faded off after like 2 or 3 episodes.

Yeah, I think the whole show has grown/changed in just one season. At first the family just seemed like they were in the way, now they seem like part of the action and involved. The same way Morty was literally an idiot, now he's I guess... street smart? space smart? inter-dimensionally/alien smart? He's sleeps meters from his own corpse and everyone he knows isn't from his own world (not to mention everyone he's known is a literal monster now), I think his options were either to accept his life is an impossible nightmare and he just needs to roll with it or go crazy.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 12, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Remember who's saying Morty has a learning disability or something: Jerry. The same guy who said the best sex of his life was when the simulated simulation got overloaded and he wound up loving the motionless space-holodeck equivalent of a realdoll that looked like his wife.

Jerry is absolutely the kind of rear end in a top hat parent who would jump to the "well obviously my son isn't doing well in school because he has a disability" conclusion, rather than "maybe my son is just being a lazy teenager who doesn't like doing homework and maybe i enable his bad habits."

Morty says he and his dad are dumb, but remember that he grew up with his dad, and now hangs out with an abusive genius super-scientist. His perspective is probably going to be a bit skewed.

Plus we don't know why those brainwaves are cancelled out, mortyness isn't idiocy, it's just morty.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megaspel posted:

Rick and Morty makes me a little depressed, it's so good that I feel like I could never make anything matching or better than it.

I don't mean to imply that you emit morty-waves or anything, but where it says "merging of these two", there's three arrows! You must work in some balmy crazy topsy turvy opposite bizarro land.

EDIT: fixed misspelling of "3"

I'm sensing some serious morty waves coming off this post, the top arrow is a mix of the bottom two.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

they have to exist tho, in some form. it would be very unfamiliar to us, maybe we wouldnt even call it existence, but for them it is.

Why? There is absolutely no reason they have to exist before the button is pressed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Siamang posted:

No, saying something like 'this is poo poo' would be dick. I said it was cool but had some pretty apparent influences. Sorry about your tenderness!

Who cares, he posted some design concepts for a ship that was included in the show. He's not asking us to critique them, he's showing us the concepts he drew before he arrived at the final result. I don't see how your opinion of his designs is being requested at all.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JT Jag posted:

My theory is that this was an episode featuring a Rick and Morty from a slightly different dimension than the Rick and Morty we usually follow, where Mr. Poopybutthole is a regular character.

How do we know the Rick and Morty we've been watching this whole time has been the same Rick and Morty at all?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What a downer. The two people who understand Jerry don't exist and the family has destroyed their friendship with Mr Poopy Butthole.

I think you mean Beth destroyed the relationship with Mr Poopy Butthole.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Giggle Goose posted:

I honestly think that we saw a non-C137 Rick and Morty for a number of different reasons.

1. The show really implies that Mr. PB is real not only because of the events of the episode but also because of the deliberately modified intro. This combined with his not being a parasite really illustrates his central importance to the existing narrative of the Rick and Morty (and sometimes Summer) dynamic.

2. I think that there were a number of real character differences in the episode. First of all, while Rick has always been a little cavalier about his treatment of Morty and Summer this episode shows him doing things that were straight up cruel to Morty, the scale of which we haven't seen without it being balanced out soon after with something kind.

While Riskyminutes (or whatever the TV show episode was called) showed that a successful version of Beth became a heavy drinker, nothing else in the show has ever really suggested (at least not that I remember) that C137 Beth is the sort of person to get sloppy wasted in the middle of the day and then hit her daughter with a bottle, accident or otherwise. Beth usually seems like a pretty driven person and it seems out of character, although it is probably just a way to make her more interesting.

Jerry's (fake) homosexual relationship hasn't really had any sort of precedent in the show yet, although it probably has more to do with his desire to be loved than anything else. I am looking forward to see if this goes anywhere else.

3. Finally, while the rules have never really been made clear as to how much the other people on Earth C137 know about the existence of aliens and other dimensions there didn't seem to be any surprise on the part of anyone that someone like Mr. PB existed. Of course this could also be said for the Series Finale of Season 1.

Ultimately though none of this matters and I know that I shouldn't be thinking about it. But I just can't help myself.

All of this is easily explained by parasites that alter your memory.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

r0ck0 posted:

But the memory of Rick pushing Morty down the stairs is a real memory.

Is it though? Mr Poopy Butthole was never in the show before, but suddenly he is and with his introduction we're also introduced to some crisis involving memory alteration. All we know is Morty thinks he figured it out yet one character is still out of place, there's really no reason to believe any of their memories are real or that his hypothesis was correct. Also who knows why Rick pushed Morty down the stairs and made fun of him in front of some girls, that could've been an alternate dimension rick or a robot clone, we don't know the context other than what we saw. Of course that memory could have also been made up too, there's no telling, we have no details other than a bunch of inconsistent actions leading to a pretty awesome depressing ending for Beth.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Giggle Goose posted:

I guess that I was referring less to the gun to the head scene and more so to the flashbacks of Rick's cruelty and total disdain for Morty's well being. If you watch those flashbacks carefully, you see that way worse things are happening to Morty than we have ever seen. With the possible exception of the attempted rape that is.

Morty's had some pretty hosed up stuff happen to him, in the first episode Rick made him stick a giant seed in his rear end that eventually lead to him being essentially brain dead and in massive pain. Morty's world was turned into monsters and he and Rick just hopped to another dimension and took over their dead double's lives and Rick doesn't care for a second. Rick is pretty hosed up and lets Morty get pretty hosed up, we're not even sure this Morty is the same Morty Rick started with.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Giggle Goose posted:

Yeah I agree with this, although the whole Cronenberg universe was at least caused by Morty in some small way and Rick did try to help clean it up, albeit without success. Also, I don't remember an episode where it is implied that Morty might not be the OG Mortiest Morty from C137. Which one is that?

In the season 1 intro sequence we see him get left behind as Rick hops through a portal without Morty. Plus Rick implies Rick's just pick up new Morty's when they die in Close Rick-counters Of The Rick Kind (they even have Morty insurance). There are plenty of reasons to believe there is no continuum for our main characters, and it's definitely true that there's no continuum for the side characters.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megaspel posted:

Oh man this leads to a lot of cool monologuing possibilities for evil morty and not-evil morty. "You think you're the first one?". Imagine what that'd do to their relationship. It's a weird relationship, with evil Rick saying "you're crying over a morty", making mortys sound disposable and worthless, which is actually Evil Morty talking about himself, but Rick still seems to care about Summer a little bit, even though it's confirmed, she's at the very least, the second Summer.

We're probably on out third Jerry too.

I think as Morty explained to Summer, "Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

I think the best part about the parasites was that they have memories of a ton of close friends/family that no longer exist from now on.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

Here's one:

A bunch of people who think that TV is a battle of wits between shows and viewers will attempt to overanalyze and overexplain everything until no comedy can exist. TV Tropes will be linked. They will then attempt to reinject comedy into the proceedings by trying to post in the voices of the characters with disastrous results.

Sorry about the spoilers.

I don't get why you guys are so annoyed that people are discussing a TV show we like in a thread dedicated to that TV show. People are just expressing how they understood the show, what's wrong with that? Also I think the writing people are doing is pretty fun and funny. If you don't want to talk about the show maybe you shouldn't seek out a thread about it?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Because everyone is missing the point of a joke. There is a set up, and a punch line. That's it. There isn't anything to theorize or speculate about because it's purpose is to be as clear as possible. It's like if you did this with every joke...

"Hmm, well, I'm not entirely sure why a black man and a KKK member would enter a bar...they have completely different perspectives on life! Perhaps the KKK member ate a bunch of tacos and had to take a big dump?..."

it's empty, you guys.

Maybe they enjoy things differently than you, maybe it's interesting to some people to wonder why the black man and the KKK member would enter the same bar. Not only that but comedy isn't "just a joke", lots of people analyze jokes all the time, you guys are just being a whiney babies high horsing us.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

But what are you working toward? What's the goal?

I'm not working towards anything, what do you mean? I guess I'm just defending the people who're making jokes and asking questions and poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So I dunno if this has been brought up, and there is probably evidence against it, but has it ever been suggested that Beth is one of Rick's former traveling buddies? It would be part of why she is pretty okay with him taking Morty around, cause she knows that he will keep Morty safe, or possibly became a jaded herself. It could also be why he split up with her mom, because she became worried and things just fell apart.

I think it's heavily implied that he was an absent father who only recently has been staying with Smith family because of his age.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

deadlysweet posted:

Just wanted to share some Rick and Morty fan art I did recently. LOVE this show so much.
http://imgur.com/XowmxlW

Holy crap these are awesome!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Why was that guy killing Ricks anyway?

Because Evil Morty is evil, and Keyser Soze.

Takoluka posted:

To gather their Mortys for the dome.

Morty doesn't need a dome of Morty's, he needs Morty's to suffer.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Applewhite posted:

A smart parasite would have just disguised itself as a non anthropomorphic item of furniture. Nobody would question a chair that's always been there.

This is an honestly scary concept.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Last Chance posted:

That's just a sound he makes every ten seconds.

My man!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

the Water T sideplot is my favorite thing that's happened on tv all year

I loved all of it, Rick made him care, he cares now!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

"Well I'm leaving!"
"Yeah ok, that was always allowed"

This place is full of Jerry's.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

It had some cool sets but I can barely think of a single gag off the top of my head except the Pirates of the Pancreas thing.

e: Also Bonetrain.

Puffy vagina?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

im so hosed up

ShinjiMorty noooooo!!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Can you continue to post here even if the thread gets really lovely or antagonistic or you get really popular? Everything you post is cool and there's a long track record of goons forgetting the rest of us when they get busy.

Never stop giving me attention, even when I'm terrible and no fun.
:goonsay:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Going for like a Sodom and Gomorrah thing, where you ignore the 100 trolls for the sake of the dozen cool dudes.

Sodom and Gomorrah were burned to the ground... not sure what you mean. Either way let us know when the cool dudes show up.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do you have a list of approved joke topics?

How about you go gently caress off, Toxx's joke was just not funny, R&M is funny, case closed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

grilldos posted:

Your avatar is a condom getting jizzed on. We're all poo poo sippers, why bother living anymore.

Life is meaningless, we're all going to die, however I prefer when we argue about the lovely writing of the man children who make the show, not the lovely writing of the man children who post on the thread.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm not sure if you see the irony in what you posted, but you're a person arguing about posts right now

If you want better posts in this thread, make them. If you want to tell other people to stop posting their posts, you are part of the problem (as am I but unlike you I don't give a gently caress)

"I'm stuck in traffic!" "No, you are traffic."

It does seem ironic, doesn't it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

I like that there's this machine that can create life, spit out infinite copies of anything you can imagine (including a god) and they're using it for marriage counseling.

I still don't understand how staging alien mind clone fights leads to a successful marriage, but I suppose aliens just deal with things differently. Also do we know what happened with Beth's mom? Is she still around? Why didn't Rick try this with her?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Ramos posted:

I mean, you're using a machine that can hold near infinite data, calculate all sorts of incredible things, and has been a major gateway for humanity in continual technological development.

Yet you're using it for posting on a forum.

Your computer can't hold anywhere near infinite data, they also really only calculate numbers, and they're not so much a gateway for humanity or technological development as much as they're for poo poo posting and jerking off.

Paladinus posted:

I bet you're one of those people who never say glip-glop even if it's a lyric in a rap song.

That's their word.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

that seems like the worst idea ever

Teach each other to express your frustrations with physical violence? what could go wrong?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Someone feeling clever bought the domain and set it up to return an error 102 "connection refused".

Turner registered it last year, probably when the episode was being produced.

Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.corporatedomains.com
Registrar URL: https://www.cscprotectsbrands.com
Updated Date: 2014-10-16T16:19:16Z
Creation Date: 2014-10-16T16:19:15Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-10-16T16:19:15Z
Registrar: CSC CORPORATE DOMAINS, INC.
Admin Organization: Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.

Nmap scan report for 157.166.173.157
Host is up (0.080s latency).
Not shown: 996 filtered ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
25/tcp open smtp
53/tcp closed domain
80/tcp closed http
443/tcp closed http

telnet 157.166.173.157 80
Trying 157.166.173.157...
telnet: connect to address 157.166.173.157: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

telnet 157.166.173.157 25
Trying 157.166.173.157...
Connected to 157.166.173.157.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 *********************************************************************************
HELO personalspaceshow.com
250 regprapa.turner.com Hello [*.*.*.*], pleased to meet you

Looks like they're just running a mail server, nothing interesting at all. Probably just some legal department server that's running out of the turner/time warner datacenter in Atlanta that's setup to receive mail on behalf of the domain.

edit: Did anyone else notice bill in big trouble in little sanchez? http://imgur.com/YOrUrR9

Also if you guys are still wondering, apparently Rick's suicide attempt was Roiland misinterpreting an idea for an ending gag into something a lot darker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oCqPDngrgM

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 21, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I actually agree that it was one of the best parts, but it has nothing to do with Justin's ramblings and made up words and everything to do with how the animation team interpreted it.

I think it's funny because now we know how a plumbus is made, it's just one of those things you never think about when you're using your plumbus.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

literally ignored the entire point i was making, but ok sure you're entitled to that opinion

What's with you constantly trying to get people to justify why they find things funny?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

I...don't? I'm annoyed when TVIV does their typical TVIV thing of, instead of just going "I didn't like [a thing]", they go "[a thing] is bad because of X, Y, and Z", when it turns out that the person who posted the latter has no idea what they're talking about

my whole point is to not justify humor, because you can't, because it's subjective. so this dumb horseshit mental tack people take of instead of simply going "this wasn't funny i didn't like this" they instead go "WELL IT'S ACTUALLY OBJECTIVELY BAD BECAUSE OF THIS THIS AND THIS, BECAUSE I HAVE NO loving CLUE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT AND TELEVISION PRODUCTION IS MAGIC"

I would appreciate if instead of trying to get people to see the flaw in their "objective" reasonings, you could just assume that they really mean they just didn't like it, that way we could just never have to argue about what is or isn't objectively funny anymore.

a shameful boehner posted:

I feel like this thread went to poo poo as soon as Steven Universe and Gravity Falls somehow became a part of the conversation

I don't get the SU interjections, but Gravity Falls is definitely "in universe/multiverse".

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Arrrthritis posted:

Wasn't a really big fan of this week's episode. None of the jokes really landed for me (except for "how did I get here?").

It's a little maddening because I don't really feel like anything about it was really bad, but I can't help compare it to Rixty Minutes which was nothing short of amazing.

Yeah, I felt the same, a few things made me chuckle but I guess Rixty Minutes is an impossible standard since it's probably my favorite episode of last season. I did enjoy the How it's Made episode though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

Or don't revisit something unless you've got a compelling reason. If they think of a top-notch hilarious Meeseeks story, then another Meeseeks episode is fine. But you shouldn't push it trying to recreate something great.

Harmon does this thing where he listens to the fans and wants to please them, he really needs to just do whatever he wants, that's what his fans really want.

The Whole Internet posted:

I can't help but wonder if the B-plot with Jerry's 'moral dilemma' is what's secretly turning people off of the episode. I was surprised to find out seemingly half the people on the internet didn't like it--thought it was the worst episode of the show (clearly they've forgotten about Get Schwifty, or Anatomy Park). For me I'd place it somewhere in the middle for season 2. A tad below "Total Rickall" and "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" but better than last week's episode for sure, and a few others. I'm just curious if getting hung up on having to choose between your penis and billion's of peoples lives is the source for the hate on the internet.

I really enjoyed Get Schwifty! This episode just wasn't my favorite, still pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

I felt like they were implying it would be good for sex but that jerry wouldn't be getting anything out of it anymore.

I don't know about that, for all we know alien dick implants feel way better than your normal dick.

• Locked thread