Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

My last colony died because I thought venting the cooler into the kitchen would be a great idea. Cut to all my colonists going berserk and fighting random animals. I decided it was time to reroll when one of my best colonists decided to go berserk on a cougar and preceeded to get his head bitten off. :thatsrimworld:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Just had a mechanoid event, is it safe to deconstruct all the ancient cryosleep chambers or should I use them for something else?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Forer posted:

Had a new run with cavemen, managed to get someone with a research 13 because their history was diplomat and white hat hacker.

Seriously Hacker caveman.

Setup a research table and had him do a buncha research, Tried to rush for research and when I was halfway through electricity a heatstroke hit and all my dudes dropped over and died. Like this is infuriating just because it feels like this game is packed to the teeth with bullshit that you just flat out should savescum through.

My base instinct was to save scum but ended up going with perma death on for all my colonies so far and I think I've had more fun watching my first five colonies flame out. If you want a pretty easy start I would recommend randy on base builder difficultly. The colony I'm running right now has been very successful with these settings. Although I have seen plenty of heat waves, I started with electricity so that may have made a big difference. Don't forget that you can turn off any of the events in the scenario editor if you feel heat waves are too much bullshit.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 7, 2016

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

VerdantSquire posted:

Is there anyway to make pawns not constantly hit on eachother all the drat time in A17? None of the mods which I use to stop that from happening in A16 seem to carry over.

A17 is still on the unstable branch so I'm guessing most mods won't be updated until the official release.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Early version of EdB Prepare Carefully is out for manual download https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.0 .

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

A Moose posted:

Is there any way to make colonists haul the poo poo that they harvest/mine? I hate it when I have some guy out harvesting agave or steel or whatever and they just leave it all over the ground, so someone else has to walk all the way out there and grab it all

Really your best bet if you have enough pawns is to just have one or two dedicated haulers so your other skilled pawns don't have to waste time hauling stuff. It can be a pain in the rear end in the early game though when you don't have enough pawns to fill that role.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

I usually put my batteries next to a wall and expand the build roof zone so that they are covered or build a small utility room for them. Just make sure you wire them up with power conduits.

To disable events select the start you want e.g. trible and use the scenario editor on the scenario screen; make sure you save it!

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Skanky Burns posted:

Where on the scenario editor is the option to disable events? I was looking the other day and couldn't find it.

This should be what you are looking for:

Note you have to add the part then define what incident you want to disable like heat wave or bug infestation.

e: in case its unclear you first have to check edit mode and click the add part to pull up the drop down menu.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 5, 2017

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

basic hitler posted:

Forgive me if this is stupid, but is there an actual benefit to screening base sites along road paths? what changes aside from the scenery? can the roads be mined for resources? Do raids and trade become more frequent? I'm willing to bet i'm an idiot who can't find patch notes but I watched Tynan unveil the feature briefly on a youtube video and either I didn't hear him explain their purpose beyond aesthetic or he didn't mention one.

The travel time is faster for your caravans while in a hex with a road on it I believe and this is true for all seasons. For example if it took you 18 hours to travel a mountain hex in the winter time, with a road its something like 3 hours. I may have that mixed up but I'm pretty sure thats how it works.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 5, 2017

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

EvanTH posted:

I played this game a little bit but I couldn't get through any of the combat without save scumming it was kinda frustrating

What helped me was turning on permadeath mode and just accepting the fact that people will die and bases will implode. When I had the ability to save scum I got a lot less enjoyment out of the game. Once you lose a couple bases you learn how to defend them a little easier. If you are looking for an easy start I recommend mountain maps they are a lot easier to wall up and defend; also the lone rich guy start gives you a charge rifle and plenty of medicine which is super powerful.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Does that affect crafting speed? Because if not I don't give a gently caress. :P

I think it just gives a mood boosts to colonists while crafting if the chair is high enough quality.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Finally got a good base going in the crash landed scenario:

A very effective kill box:

There were some problems with some of my walls on other fronts but i've got them thick enough now where everyone just filters into turret death.

Got a mortar T-T-Triple Kill! Mortars are great for thinning the herd before a raid starts.

Had a couple raids back to back, things didn't go well for the raiders.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

TACO_HERO posted:

What triggers the name your colony/faction event? I've been playing this game for a few years now and we're still The New Arrivals.

It always triggers within the first couple seasons for me. Sounds like the event is bugged for that colony.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

TACO_HERO posted:

I'm not using any mods or dev mode stuff, but I do have 3 extra empty colonies down the road i was using to collect resources. I've gone through about 16 colonists so far, no colony name event.

It's weird having 4 colonies open because random events happen in all of them. I've had animals self-tame, raids, drop pods, crashes, toxic fallout, cold snaps etc. in the field but not at home (can't bring anything back without sending scouts). The raids are no threat and don't move on to my main base but I have to deal with the constant stream of warnings popping up and slowing down my game time due to "combat" that isn't affecting me. The best is when wanderers join my colony out there, I can easily walk them back to my base without any food. I wonder if having more colonies increases the rate at which this happens overall because it seems to be working to my benefit.

I've done the same thing to gather extra resources, but I usually abandon them after collecting some components. Do you leave yours open?

I was also wondering about the friendlies events. I had two groups of friendlies show up at once when nothing was going on. I guess I will have to start digging through all the ancient walls to see if I find any ancient ruins.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Efexeye posted:

even on 'some challenge' i cannot win a permadeath game

Not sure which story teller you are using but if you want a easy start go with phoebe chillax until the raids start getting too big then switch over to Randy random. I play on rough but those settings let me get established before any of the real nasty events started firing. It was the only way my sorry rear end could get a good base going in the crash landed scenario.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 25, 2017

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

creatine posted:

Wait how do you make walls? Mod?

Stone cutting to make bricks (build a stone cutting table which you can find in the production tab). Then make use the structure tab to make stone walls.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Coolguye posted:

this entirely depends on how hard the storytellers are hitting, unfortunately. you can have 3 mechanoids come out of a ship, or you can have 12+. it all depends on how hard you're being hit at the moment.

that said, two per every three mechanoids you expect is reasonable. estimate by slightly highballing the last pirate raid you had. so if the last pirate raid was 6 guys, bargain on 7 mechanoids. this will almost always lead you to overestimate, but considering how serious a threat psychic and poison ships are you do NOT want to be caught with your pants down.

anyway, mechanoids have lovely aim, so put the turrets a good 8-10 squares away from the ship and behind some sandbags and you should be alright. don't line them up right next to each other, though, otherwise a shot that misses one turret could hit another out of pure luck. i'd space them about 3 or 4 apart, put a wall behind them, and give them a good line of sandbags in front of them.

I'm using Randy Rough right now and at the time I was having raids of pretty decent size (7 - 8 guys) mostly tribal. I had a poison ship fall right after and only one worm popped out, guess I got lucky!

Speaking of getting lucky, I just opened up one of those tombs with the cryosleep chambers. Not only were there no Mechanoids when I open the coffins 4/6 pawns were still alive but downed, so being the good natured colony we are I had my dudes rescue all of them. When they came to they all decided to join up with the cause! At the same time my warden finally managed to recruit one of my long term prisoners so I got 5 new colonists all at once! It was pretty surprising considering I already had 10 pawns when I cracked open the tomb. Time to start cranking out some more assault rifles! :getin:

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Coolguye posted:

tribals come in much greater numbers than pirates due to their neolithic equipment, which is why i specified pirates. raids of 8 tribals are really quite small and would probably be no more than 3-4 pirates, potentially only 2. still, only one centipede out of that is a very pleasant surprise. gently caress shipfalls, seriously.

Yeah, I'm getting much heavier raids now and mainly pirates these days.

This was my most recent infestation (3 hives I had to deal with immediately due to them breaking my walls and destroying my potato fields):

Notice the small wall of exposed stone due to laziness, luckily I had the firepower to deal with it without injuries. I'm sure my next fallen ship is going to be a poo poo show.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Coolguye posted:

if you're not using that little scrap of overhead mountain for anything, i'd encourage you to just throw some stone walls there and be done with it. it's not a significant part of your main base and i'd argue the threat of infestation that close to your home isn't worth the benefit you're reaping from it.

Yeah after the infestation I mined out that wall and replaced it with a granite one. I will have to remember to wall off that little area just south of that room which is probably the overhead mountain you are talking about thanks for pointing that out.

e. Can you just deroof areas of overhead mountain if you've mined out all the rock?

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Uhhh, no. It's a mountain.

Someone mod in TNT. Or one of these things.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Azhais posted:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14177.0

Granted the A17 version is under construction, but he does have a roof bomb mod

Thanks I will have to throw that in my mod list for my next colony. Until then I guess I will just have to shrink my excess storage stockpile room to take it outside of the overhead mountain.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

LLSix posted:

You still need the sterile silver floors for the hospital, kitchen, and meal storage areas, right? TBH, I've never had a fort last long enough to get all 3.

I really only put sterile tiles in my hospital. I don't feel like the occasional bout of food poising is really worth the investment for sterile tile in the kitchen. If you are on a warm moist weather map getting sterile tile in your hospital is a large priority as pawns are more prone to infection in the jungle biome.

Seconding Mortars owning, its a good way to thin out the raiders and inflict some serious damage while the raiders are milling around waiting to start the actual raid.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Garfu posted:

Did you intend to keep him around? I can't tell if you knew what you were doing or not so apologies if you knew this already but rescue = once they heal they walk off the map, capture = once they heal they're assimilated.

I rescued 4 dudes from cryo caskets and all 4 of them stayed! So maybe it has to do with how wealthy your colony is because I am pretty well off at this point or maybe I was just super lucky.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 27, 2017

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I seriously haven't built a turret since 2015 and really dislike the elements of the game that force them, which is pretty much mechanoid centipedes, although with Simple Sidearms and painless weapon swapping maybe I should reconsider that.

I've found that if you set them up a decent distance away from an ingress point they are super effective although a bit slow too fire. With my current set up I have yet to have anybody get close enough to blow up one of my turrets.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

I am perfectly happy paying 30 bucks for a game I have put 100+ hours into. I do understand why someone would want to buy something like this on sale but it's not one of those super buggy early access games so I'd say it's definitely worth the asking price.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Just had psychic ship spit out four centipedes! I lost my first colonists in the two years I've been with this colony. It probably would have been a lot easier if I didn't cluster all my guys together against gattling guns.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Fumbles posted:

Hey there, just had this game suggested to me in the suggestion thread and I've decided to pick it up and give it a shot. Any suggestions for a first-time player? I've never played Dwarf Fortress but I've read a lot of the LPs. What should I be watching out for, what should I be prioritizing, and are there any major problems to be aware of?

There is a in - depth guide on the steam workshop by Hironeyous Alloy. It's a few alphas old but most all the information should still be relevant. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

My new base is coming along nicely!

I got attacked by at least 30 huskies, my mortar team took out 10 with one hit.

Not 10 minutes later I had a trade caravan and a raid happen at the same time my relationship with the faction took a hit but atleast I know my security set up works well and I got a ton of free loot!

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Props for putting your hospital right next to the kill zone but where's your prison :)

Its just up the hall near the crematorium. :D

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

I'm excited for all the changes and new features. Its been awhile since I ran a full Vanilla run so I'm excited to give it a go.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 5, 2022

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

I have been playing a Neolithic to Archotech tribal start to pass the time until the expansion comes out. I am currently in the Industrial Era and its been a lot of fun. I am especially enjoying the "Research Reinvented" mod, it make research more interesting, if you haven't tried it I highly recommend checking it out. Instead of just standing at the research desk the pawn will advance the research gain by analyzing materials, building prototypes and reverse engineering existing tech. I'll be adding it to all my future saves.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Can't wait to spread pollution across the entire planet and make it uninhabitable. Maybe pair that with a Save Our Ship run, going planet to planet spreading pollution like some sort of bizzaro captain planet.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

There is also

Tech Traversal - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2820526947
Tech Block - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1970774610

Also I am going to plug Research Reinvented again because its cool: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2868392160

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Deketh posted:

Did there used to be a bunch of customisation sliders on the storyteller screen? Or was that a mod I had installed? loving mods have broken me, no idea what is vanilla anymore

Not that I can recall, there is just the difficulty options.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I am a huge fan of children.

I absolutely believe in abolishing child labor laws

This expansion is going to be great for awful quotes.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Started a new colony, decided to try a naked brutality run. 1 day after landing Randy threw a man hunter pack of 2 yorkshire terriers... I equipped a piece of wood and went to battle. The terries ripped me apart. Colony over.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

There is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2868392160

Which makes research doable via a bunch of different options.

This mod owns, adds a fair bit of depth to researching so your pawns aren't just staring at a table.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

zedprime posted:

I haven't played Rimworld for 5 years. I'm not averse to dropping expansion money to catch up but what I'm worried about is new game set up or UI onboarding turning into an absolute mess with new options while I get my organ harvesting legs. Is it tidy enough to jump in 100% or should I play a warm up round and buy expansions when I can recognize what they are advertising they add?

New game set up is a bit different because of Ideology but its pretty easy to figure it out. I don't think much has changed with the UI itself (outside of changes from the vanilla 1.0 launch) from the expansions but I could be wrong.

Biotech did add a lot of genetics options that you CAN tinker with while starting a new game but you can safely ignore that and enjoy all the new races and stuff in the world after starting a new game.

e: That being said if you just want to get your bearings try to launch the vanilla game and make a quick colony and poke around in the menus before buying the DLCs.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

A bad infestation can really cost you an arm and a leg. :imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

I think there is a mod that will show you incoming raids as war parties on the map. I think its RimWar, never used it so I don't know how well it works and you would have to be looking at the map to know there was a war party approaching. Neat idea though, it also shows normal caravans so makes the world more lively.