Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The pods themselves can be useful and disassemble for materials.

Whenever I open pods the people inside fallout, throw up and then die. I laugh every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't loving get me started on how the Rimworld community feels about their treatment of prisoners

Please go on. Just a brief explanation.

Danaru posted:

The whole "changing your body destroys your soul maaaaan" feels like an incredibly obsolete trope that only really works for games like Shadowrun where it works thematically because spirits and magic exist in universe too and are tied to your literal soul. It doesn't work thematically for Rimworld at all, and it absolutely didn't need to be 'balanced' this way

Well I can see that there might be a psychological impact on body identity. You have an image of yourself in your mind and you could call this a "soul". Soul can mean lots of different things to different people.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 11, 2018

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grimoire posted:

My pet peeve is the lack of water mechanics. It just seems loving weird for a space western base building sim to abstract away, at least have a thirst need, wells, and the like.

Well this is a guy who wants his base building colony simulator to have an ending rather than just letting us take over the planet.

Hey we've worked hard and turned our colony into a utopia. Time to leave.

I don't know whether i'm in the majority or the minority but I really wanted Rimworld to become sci fi dwarf fortress with much better graphics and accessibility. It was not to be. Still a great game.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

Because hey, gently caress this guy. He's rich. He can handle being sandwiched between murderbots and murderbugs.

Out of interest is this map normal sized or bigger? It looks bigger but I might be imagining it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Viva Miriya posted:

its ok they can walk around. lmao that a pawn with no eyes in my game was able to move around before I euthanized his poo poo

I just checked on wikipedia. It's true, blind people can still move. Apparently blindness is about the eyes or something. Truth in gaming.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

Hey I just downloaded this and played it once, which was super fun. Everyone died, but it was a good first story. It's basically dwarf fortress except not as horrifically confusing and an actual goal.

One question though, if an animal dies of natural causes, is there any way to butcher it? I had a rhino die of a heart attack and permitted my pawns to go grab it, but they can't seem to do anything with it. Now there is just a giant corpse in my base.

For them to butcher it:

1) It can't be spoiled. If it's even 1 second over the 'rotted' time limit they won't touch it

2) You have to have a butcher table, a bill for butchering that is active and someone with the cook work placement activated.

If you only have one guy set to be a cook he might be too busy actually cooking to do the butchering.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Definitely play the game vanilla for your first hundred hours. Mod when you start getting bored or you want to come back to the game. I don't think I could play without the expanded augmentation stuff to turn my best guys into cyber ninjas.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Phoenix Taichou posted:

So here's a thought... what if all wildlife/animals had a "quality" level like items? So a cat has some kittens AND LOOK A MASTERWORK KITTEN. It has better stats, or an AWFUL KITTEN OH NO with worse stats than the average cat/kitten.

All animals are masterworks. I suggest you refrain from this train of thought.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

Sounds like the pets served their purpose.

I’m one of the weirdos that gets too attached and freaks out when puppies and kittens start falling in combat. I remember being traumatised in dwarf fortress when a goblin raid killed a cat and the line of kittens following her. It didn’t help that I had a tile set so they were cute little cat sprites :(.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HelloSailorSign posted:

Here's my current base, note the barracks in the north - they're either very or extremely impressive:

The three smaller barracks near the front line consists of two prison barracks (with the bright white plumbing fixtures) and the warden barracks (my wardens constantly wear power armor and carry blunt weaponry). The barracks in the middle are guest quarters.

Here's the defense in action. With this setup the embrasures are mostly superfluous, sandbags would provide similar defense need. Melee doesn't get anywhere near with the side wings, though I haven't had a shield belt melee rush in a while.

What map size are you using for this?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HelloSailorSign posted:

Edit: Regarding map size, it was either default or one step up, but not the super huge ones. I cropped the image a bit to get rid of the non-base spots.

Ok thanks. I use one up from default but for some reason your map seems much larger. I guess it's seeing everything like that.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Balance? I was supposed to be using it in a balanced manner?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think i've asked this before but it was months ago and i'm just going back to rimworld: How performance killing is using bigger map sizes? I think I settled on one size above default. Just wondered if I could be going for bigger or whether the game really starts grinding.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If you’re going for long term you’ll probably want a prosthetics and organ transplant expansion mod. I use ‘expanded prosthetics and organ engineering’ mod. It’s pretty balanced because it’ll eat right through your plasteel reserves.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Need some help with Rimefeller.

Build a synthylene refinery and have a pipe running from a chemfuel tank (which has fuel) to the refinery and have unloading bays built but nothing happens. No synthylene is output. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: nevermind, sorted. I found the bill for synthylene on the control computer.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 29, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Is Rimworld still being developed or is it pretty much at it's final state?

Wonder if there is a Rimworld 2 in the works.

If there is a sequel he's going to hard code it so that you have to get off the planet within a small time limit. He's said before that he regrets taking out the enforced time limit. Guy really didn't want his game to be a colony simulator.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

The fact of there being an endgame is a weird concession that goes against Tynan's stated design goal/concept of making a "story generator" that is explicitly not a "game" so the various endgame arcs are just optional Stupid Dwarf Megaprojects for people who get bored of being invincible and want a challenge that leads to something resembling a victory condition.

i mean his design goal was that this wasn't a colony simulator and you should be trying to get off the planet and win ASAP which is super unfun. I don't like vanilla Rimworld at all. I really like modded colony simulator Rimworld. Death of the game dev.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well the dev doesn’t want you enjoying anything too much or you might not leave the planet

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Could you post the medical report for the pawn in question? I’m not sure it is possible to actually destroy the shoulder without compromising the torso and killing the pawn.

now imagining a freezer full of corpses that he's going to "repair"

he won't lose anyone ever again

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah it's like -5, more than your aunt or uncle dying

i mean yeah

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

more an RP thing instead of a min / max thing. It's really hard to play rimworld if you try and play chaotic good

It really isn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I play pretty nicely for the most part, but you better loving believe that those refugees who betrayed my trust and killed my pet guinea pig got turned into Seamus from Family Guy.

oh yeah anyone kills a pet they get got.

But I usually settle for humanly getting every other colonist to beat them to death