Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The last one is at least a pretty good :iceburn: on the boss if you read it right. I especially like the elevator operator peeking in on the left over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

SubNat posted:

I'm wondering if I should start posting them 1/2 page at a time, so that the stories'll last a bit longer, or if people prefer getting a page a day, as you have earlier?

I'd really prefer half a page a day. I stopped reading Modesty Blaise in part because I was tired of the cheesecake, but mostly because it was just too much to read every day.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Sezza posted:

It doesn't really actually matter, either way the 'joke' is "I'm struggling not to look at something disgusting for the first few panels. What kind of trainwreck am I trying not to rubberneck? A masculine person wearing a feminine item of clothing! Haha, ew. How inherently absurd, what a gross punchline of a human being."

At that point it's kinda moot whether it's supposed to be a crossdressing guy or an offensive caricature of a transwoman.

You liberal types are always looking to be offended, just like the fag in the punchline. Mike would clearly watch and be a fan of Ru Paul's Drag Race, but he is to busy to see it, and that's not his fault. Obviously, he doesn't have anything against the gays. I'm sure Mike's new acquaintance will explain any misunderstanding that may have arrived, it's only natural to be made uncomfortable by someone wearing the opposite sex's clothes! I am sure that this is going to be a funny, heartwarming and educational week, you loving pussies.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Bitchtits McGee posted:

I believe that was what we in the naval profession call a "joke".

Could you explain the joke then? I didn't get it either :(

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Duplex More like the poo-plex, amirite? :haw: :negative:

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Duplex hates you and all that you stand for.

I wish I could hate you so much McCoy would die

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA END END END

I gotta say, this is the most graceful way to handle an artist's retirement and zombification of a strip I've ever seen. It'll just keep going like this and no one will ever be the wiser.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Zereth posted:

Wait. Holy poo poo.

Mark Trail is not yelling his thoughts out loud? :monocle:

This is a strange, frightening new world we live in, this age of Jam Esallen. Red is blue, familiar wildlife is traced with bold new lines -- the stories -- they are unheard, not the tales we have been told and retold since time immemorial. Here we see a man hunched with purpose, his jaw set, his eyebrows jutting into the open gradient sky behind him, and yet this man is somehow the very same Mark Trail he has always been. Gone are the villainous beards of the past, but in their place, eyebrows. Thick and black, coursing with purpose and concern. We live, my friends, in an age beyond history, where our crosshatched lumps vaguely define muscles, and we look up to the sky with determination, ready to move on with our lives. Ready to head to the southwest.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Pros & Cons

:stare:

ACAB. An unironically good cartoon.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

e: ^^^ I guess this basically

You have to admit though, it'd be hilarious if Kit Walker goes down like this though. Years and years and years phantoming, only to go down anonymously to a snakebite in the middle of the jungle, because he was too absent minded to look around before grabbing some punk's gun.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

Jesus, Wiley, get off it. My banker was extremely nice, and helpful throughout the life of my mortgage -- which I just paid off in September. The interest rate was excellent. The bank sent me a gift basket with a congratulation card signed by the personnel. Ya know.. they're allowed to make a little money too.

Come now. He's just following his sincere Christian beliefs. Usury sends you to hell, and that's that, so you're not allowed "to make a little money" too. Take it up with God if you don't like it.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex is sad for no reason I can think of.

Poor Rex was hoping there'd be a real chance for conflict or ambiguity.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Children who have suffered abuse or neglect will often reenact those behaviors unconsciously in their relationships with their own children or creations, even pets. A Sobering Cartoon, but a A Good Reminder.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Mercury Hat posted:

I know it's usually dull as dishwater, but the rivalry between the writer and artist of Apartment 3G reached new heights this week as Margo decided to hit up a cafe.

On a street corner.

Then followed this woman back to her apartment and told her about her life.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PIE!

This is everything I never knew I wanted. Frank Bolle is the art version of that one tenured professor in every history department who doesn't take on grad students, has his TAs lecture for him, and doesn't go to office hours.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/9/2004

Why is this funny? Is that a blues lick being played on a violin as if it were a guitar? Oh Great Master... I can only hope to aspire to your levels of pretentiousness.

It's not a joke, it's ~art.~ Because the musical staff has four spaces and five lines like the violin has four strings and therefor five spaces you see. It is about how music moves between its abstract representation on the page into the physical mechanial reality as it is played. There is a synthesis between instrument and the ethereal. You beefwit. :brookesay:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I pretty much agree, I just wanted to remind people that "beefwit" is a serious term that Brooke used in earnest to describe people who didn't like the Romeo and Juliet adaptation from a million years ago

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Quick and nasty...

This is fantastic, thank you.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So what you're saying is that the joke isn't that he's eating out grandma

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

?????

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I do at least appreciate that the police have about the same opinion of Dilbert's argument as we do. Could this mean that we're moving out of the Groucho Marx comedy land where Dilbert insults everyone to their faces and nobody notices?

Dilbert from prison, using the sort of "from lived experience" humor that the early strip used could be pretty good!
scott adams is a criminial

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 12, 2015

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

God help me but this is the best Bizarro in ages.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Zereth posted:

no see they're being prejudiced against him, and prejudice is bad!

except no they aren't their opposition is based on the completely true "this guy kills and eats people like us" fact.

I hate this "prey lives matter" distraction. All lives matter, dammit!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

The strip, however, is stupid, but for some reason, I keep reading it in hopes fat guy, and african american chick Barry get together at some point.

This is clearly the better outcome. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

It's pounds like lbs. That's why.

• Locked thread