Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Between Wee Pals, The Amazing Spider-Man, One Big Happy, and Pickles, this thread is a goldmine of comics by and/or about mad old people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

MM forgot to mention: All of these comic strips are terrible, completely and utterly terrible.

Gil was alright. The rest are pretty bad, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I didn't realize until now that Guy Gilchrist signs his name like it's the Disney logo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
This Mandrake story is probably the best thing I've ever read in a newspaper comic. Especially compared to the total lack of anything happening The Phantom's had lately.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Sergio Aragones, does anyone still have that edit of him winning Prom Queen (or whatever) in Luann from a couple threads ago?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What the hell is with all of Greg Evans' villains being more sympathetic than the protagonists?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Next, The Phantom is gonna tell us about this time he totally owned this guy in a movie theater and everybody else started clapping, and then they totally started riffing on the movie MST3k-style.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

And then she was so impressed that she totally wanted to marry me! Too bad I've already got a hot wife.

Seriously, both Phantom storylines right now read like Walker's writing fanfiction about himself.

Edit: And it's totally pointless because she's getting brainwiped anyway!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wait, so how exactly does The Phantom have the moral high ground here?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

CommaToes posted:

You're siding with the guy trying to steal all of the treasure?

The Phantom already stole all of it. And random bandit here wasn't even going for most of the important historical stuff!

Edit: Also I'm bitter that the Phantom just told us a long story about how cool he is and is now going to erase everyone's memory so it doesn't matter anyway.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 21, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I really love how terse everyone is in these Mandrake stories. poo poo actually gets done when everyone speaks in two word sentences.

Also, Oswald, called Clay Camel - called Police Commissioner!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is Nancy supposed to be an orphan? I thought she was just like every other cartoon character with no on-screen parents. You may as well have Donald Duck's nephews being sad about not having parents.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kennel posted:

Wrong, Spider-man is extremely boring.

Let's not say things we can't take back!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Doesn't Dustin have an English degree? I get that the point is to poo poo on Dustin, but come on.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Have you ever spoken to someone with an English degree? They don't speak in 100% perfect grammar and word usage 100% of the time because that would be silly.

Yes, but presumably he does know what proper grammar is.

Basically I'm just mad at a bad comic.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Say what you will about Peter Parker's mental state - dude can take pictures of himself like a pro.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

A big white horse might get a second look! Let's go, gigantic wolf!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd be a lot more okay with Pearls Before Swine if the punchline to so many strips wasn't "Rat insulting and/or threatening Pastis for making bad jokes."

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

OK smart rear end, go ahead and eat a Hershey bar, I dare you, I double-loving dare you; that poo poo is nasty.

You're getting pretty angry about someone else liking bad chocolate!

Also, looks like "sundae" is just something totally unrelated that sounds the same. So.. yeah. Believe it or not!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

I know people are down on Mandrake in this thread sometimes. And I understand why - it's slow paced, plots aren't really resolved so much as they are bypassed, the art is inconsistent - but look at that second panel. Just look at it. That's art.

(Also I really like how everyone is ridiculously terse in Mandrake. Like the writer gets paid by the word, but in reverse. It's a nice contrast to Brooke and a lot of the word-heavy comics in this thread.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Good to see that Curtis is still about a dad who really can't stand his son.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Transmodiar posted:

Because he's aggressively trying to make us stop reading the comics he posts with his pointless commentary and overuse of :ughh:.

Yeah, who the hell discusses comic strips in the comic strip thread?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like this new, bold direction where Peter Parker is (just barely) smarter than everyone surrounding him.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Don't worry, Mr. President! My buddies would've just broken and entered, then threatened some doctors at arrow-point into giving up my corpse! - a superhero

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know why you guys hate on Mandrake so much. It's been a hell of a lot more interesting than The Mary Sue Who Walks for at least a couple years now.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's the wrestler, because he's kind of holding the axe like an idiot.
It's the weatherman, because he only has to work in the morning and he can gently caress off to a golf course in the middle of the day.
It's the stylist, who holds a grudge due to the victim's baldness.
It's the jazz player, who is clearly not a jazz player because he's playing a banjo.
It was Inspector Danger, because he's drunk with power, as well as alcohol.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know of any source of older Wee Pals stuff? I'd like to see some of Morrie's older work, and I'd probably post it here.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Picasso started painting over a hundred years ago, Inspector! Weird faces are old news.

(I don't actually know anything about art, I just like it when the writers in this thread are so old that they yearn for times before they were born. I'm attributing Inspector Danger's opinions to the writer.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have no idea what is supposed to be happening in Mary Worth but I can't stop reading this storyline.

Also, I see Foob appears to be transitioning into sitcom-style "married people are not allowed to have friends of the opposite sex."

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like pretty much all of Peanuts, but I did really like the old strips where Snoopy is actually a dog.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know much about stampedes, but that guy's very dead, right?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Johnny Aztec posted:

Serious question to people who thinks Peanuts is grand: Why? I mean the era of the established characters, cartoons and such.

It's primarily the amount of people in this thread that can't wait to tell everyone how they don't think it's that great that does it for me.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gorilla Salad posted:

So if tumour girl can't swim, why do her parents have a pool with no fencing? Pretty sure there're laws about that sort of thing.

I'm guessing they want the little poo poo dead. Probably why they're sending her off to creepy doctor Savile, too.

I think the parents are supposed to be lovely and neglectful, based on the way that they don't take their daughter seriously about the doctor and how they just kind of let her hang out with Mary, who is some random old lady.

But then I don't think a sane person would think "ignoring your kid when they don't like a doctor they've never met before" and "trying to give your kid swimming lessons" and "promptly taking your daughter to the doctor when she has a weird cyst" are things bad parents would do, so who knows.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Inspectors! No sense of right and wrong.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I was definitely expecting another "one man couldn't possibly own two [item]!" with suspect #3 hiding the killer in his house.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Garfield territory would be a hundred steps up from where Intelligent Life is.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Green Intern posted:

The last I looked at the fraudvote, it was 220ish to 190ish in favor of no consequences.

I'm okay with this because it means we can move on.

I'm not sure why I want us to move on, but man that just sounds even more insufferable than Luann normally is.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So did The Phantom and the President go visit Chatu, who is in jungle jail, for the express purpose of beating the poo poo out of him again?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thumper posted:

The Phantom is basically torturing a prisoner just for the fun of it, with a supposedly democratically elected president cheering him on. I really hope this storyline will turn out to be some kind of political critique, because it's really making me sick so far.

I'm pretty sure The Phantom is just not actually a superhero, considering some of his other recent exploits include messing around with Mandrake on a boat and bragging about all of his stolen treasure to some journalist before drugging her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Comic Strip Megathread XV: What a struggle

• Locked thread