Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

This just got a solid, enormous gut laugh out of me. The Creeps is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Those pie-eating contests are harsher than what they show on TV.

I like how there's no blood on his clothes. The horrors of war apparently just gave him a rash.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Completely legit, I think he just exploded out of something or got tossed or whatever? He's "grievously wounded" by photoshop's masking tool, not getting shot in the head.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Way to give yourself the Phil Fumble treatment during a funny pages obit, Gilchrist.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mister Beeg posted:

Autobio comics are a hit-or-miss to me, although I like some (I'm a fan of Keith Knight, for example). I know I make fun of Paley's opinions, but at the same time I do find it refreshing because she's just so blunt about what she thinks. Also, very little comics posted here are drawn from a woman's POV, so there's that, too. In short, I agree with your post.

This is why I love Zippy. It's basically an autobio in the form of the rambling musings of a mad old comics dork.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Macaluso posted:

Why would someone leave a cake out in the rain

Why anyone is listening to MacArthur Park without laughing their rear end off is the real mystery. That song sucks so hard in the best way.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I had to stare at this for a minute to make sure I got the joke, and yep. The Creeps is the best. How can I give this guy my money?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

No surprise that a character appearing in 'Chickweed' would try to escape from this strip.

I can't not just see this as a severe case of wartime V.D. I wanted to avoid the joke at first, but no. He got some strange disease from boning cheap hookers behind front lines, like a jackass. There's no other explanation for the pristine uniform, and the fact that blood is getting on nothing else whatsoever.

Edit: it's not even on his drat hand! ...yet.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dustin just totally owned Ed, so that is A Good Joke.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SynthOrange posted:

Yup, if you're already going out with someone, dont shove it all back in the closet. Jane keeps getting worse and worse the more I pay attention to her/the strip.

Isn't this the chick who's assumed herself into a relationship with Jane though? Hardly her business at this point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
E: never mind that alzheimer's joke was last page, drat

I blame the Alzheimer's.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RandomFerret posted:

The joke is that sometimes record labels will flood file-sharing sites with corrupt copies of albums and singles that are anticipated to be high download risks, since turning to piracy is often more about convenience than price. Make it hard enough to get a working copy of a song and people will just spend the 99 cents on itunes instead.

It's not a very funny joke, but it is Accurate and Verifiable Comix.

No, the joke is "pop musician's greatest hits collection is zero kb because pop music sucks". You're giving this one too much credit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RandomFerret posted:

What is it with nobody in this thread getting my jokes lately? I'm talking to you, Bitchtits.

I've been reading Games too much. I can't tell the jokes from the idiots any more. :negative:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TofuDiva posted:

Yeah, that name. Thanks, I really did blank out on it.

Behold and compare. Eyes, linework, character forms, lettering. It's just weird that the style is so similar.

Yeah it is weird how none of those things look at all similar between these two comics. :psyduck:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mmann posted:

Four Eyes

vs

Min Sec

I'm gonna be honest. I don't see it.
Like.. cartoony arms without defined elbows maybe?
They're both done a sketchy/imperfect line work?

But I really don't see a stylistic resemblance beyond those super general things.

I dunno why I bothered making this but hey, here it is.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

VictorGrunn posted:

Huh, the nasty little goblin was actually helpful. That's nice, I was expecting her to be irritating until she got some comeuppance.

Well, okay, it's a mean little variety of helpful, but all the same.

Her face when she's running back is adorable. She's so drat happy it worked, and when nobody's looking she stops the angry eyes. :3:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

This is touching and all but I can't not see Opus in the left panel.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Blhue posted:

Ghee is apparently just some annoying verbal tic that one character has. Doesn't mean a thing.

She kind of strikes me as the person who does a loud snorty exhale through her nose when she stops a sentence, so I always read it like that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AxeManiac posted:

gently caress YOUR GARBAGE

I... kind of want to use this... :ohdear:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wanamingo posted:

What the gently caress.

What the gently caress. :psyduck:

The pizza guy was actually their dealer and something went wrong, but they're willing to go with the ten minute late pizza hypothesis because the detective is apparently immensely dense and they can more easily plead insanity with that motive.

Any better?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
What's missing is the reason a detective was genuinely needed for a dispute over a dollar's worth of light bulb.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

This, but unironically. Working from home loving rules.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Goober Peas posted:

The thing that gets me about FOOB is some (most) of the story arcs weren't that good the first time around (current one included) and yet she's actively reworking them into something that is even worse.

Not only that - now that she has explained her inspirations for the strip, these reworked strips manage to portray her worse than the originals did.

I'm pretty sure they told her to knock that off. It's just reruns now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Probably Magic posted:

Oh Baby is the goatse of comics, you see it, you're horrified, and then you're inured to future showings.

I think knowing the history behind Oh, Baby, basically the fact that the creator creeped his way right out of "mom"s life because of making it, makes it a bit more tolerable.

Just a tiny, tiny bit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

If there's any evidence that it happened because of OH BABY then I missed it, but he did have to stop the strip because he couldn't afford to pay to host it on GoComics since his wife divorced him and he lost his job:

I'm not going to lie: I like OH BABY. Not because it's good, because god knows it's nowhere near it. But it's bad in this perfect, surreal way. Like a dada masterpiece, but played entirely straight. It's fascinating to read precisely because of its specific, utterly bizarre flavor of awful.

Yeah I don't have evidence for it being the cause of the divorce other than the fact that Oh, Baby itself is probably grounds for divorce for just showing it to someone, let alone creating the god drat thing. :gonk:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Julet Esqu posted:

Oooh! Hangman! Guess S! :butt:

Considering kiss my rear end fits perfectly I have a feeling you'd be pretty happy with that guess.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

"Hände Hoch? That's a pretty dumb name."

That's not even a remotely competent gun barrel. Also, nice wedding ring trigger guard.

edit: y'now the more i look the less sense it makes, god drat that is a lovely loving drawing

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

LvK posted:

I try not to lame out too much about guns because it's really offputting, but jeezum, dude, at least use a straight-edge. They look like a cross between a novelty lighter, a dull knife, and a stamped rubber gun that may or may not be a sex toy.

It's OK! Lame out about the impossibility of his shoulders, or that camera angle, or where the poo poo is headwound there even aiming that thing!? It's maddening throughout, not just the gun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GIMP's antialiasing is awful.

e:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 9, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I'm gonna run this poo poo into the ground. Can't get any worse than it already is, I figure.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, you're absolutely right, they OH DEAR GOD

"Dinsdale!"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Why would you cut out the cestus for that!?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ensign_Ricky posted:

We all knew this was going to be resolved this way, but I am still filled with rage and loathing at this loving comic.

Hey guess what, people can be awesome to their kids and absolute fucktards to the rest of the world, who'd have thunk it?!?:argh:

This particular point of the arc is making me SO MAD at Batiuk. He has such a hard on for emotional pain, but completely missed an opportunity to make a murderer break down with regret after decades in prison. Nope, can't have an actual moment of dramatic tension, sadness, and character growth when someone has a moment to realize he took a daddy away from his little girl. Offscreen that poo poo, because this guy's gotta stay a Snidely Whiplash, woman on train tracks cartoon villain forever!

Crippling depression is the one loving thing you do, Batiuk, and you're not even good at it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zero_Tactility posted:

I can't quite find the words to express why, but this crap is even worse than Brooke's masturbatory nonsense. Maybe I'm just numb to one and not the other (there's only so much 9CWL and Pibgorn one can experience before acquiring mental calluses), but Nancy is just so bad. It's awful at a level that makes me think "I shouldn't be getting this mad at newspaper comics; that's really dumb."

(The new Mark Trail is excellent, however. I wasn't following the thread at all for a while and have been skimming a bit since I came back, so I don't know when it changed hands, but I'm really digging it)

It's retconning sappy dramatics into a comic strip where retconning sappy dramatics into it makes absolutely zero loving sense.

I'm trying to think of something involving Snuffy Smith that would be as ridiculous as a metaphor but apparently I'm no Guy Gilchrist because none of them are terrible enough. Give it to some political cartoonist and have Barney Google come back, be stunningly handsome, and also a successful self-insert libertarian I guess?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Y'know what I hate? Two things. One, waking up in bed scared so I sit up dead straight immediately; and two, doing the first so hard that my blanket mysteriously shuffles halfway to my knees. A constant nuisance, that!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Allen Wren posted:

And finding that your rear end is at the base of your giant pillow

This is actually a normal problem for me but I sleep on like a billion giant pillows.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know! It's almost like nobody cares about a story of a woman just dying of cancer, or something.

But don't you people understand? This is the perfect adaptation of the Funky Winkerbean univ- oh right, when you remember they don't live in a self aware comic strip world he really is just some old goober depressingly writing an autobiographical Lifetime movie of the week, isn't he?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Probably Magic posted:

You see, it's strips like this that make me hate Zippy.

I'm sorry but I think I identify with the joke in the last Zippy panel here more than anything in the newspaper comics ever.

Not recognizing that your TV's bad aspect ratio makes people not look human anymore is the most American thing in the world. "I'm gonna spend $8k on a TV and I'm basically loving blind!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Can I hate this, but still appreciate that he bothered to draw the little doodad for playing 45s?

• Locked thread