Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thermite is cool, but it's not really something that goes FOOF in the night. It's very hard to to light (although magnesium does the trick) and otherwise only really dangerous if you snort it.

Iron oxide and aluminum dust is not a pretty thing to inhale, but other than that, it's extremely benign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Computer viking posted:

On the flipside, it is a positive nightmare to put out if you do manage to light it on fire.

Well yeah, self-oxidizing compounds tend to have that downside :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Say Nothing posted:

Well, if you want unstable chemicals, i've work in one lab where there's been a dried-up bottle of Picric Acid at the back of the cupboard which no one wanted to touch.
I was slightly concerned about an ancient, half empty bottle of ether in my last laboratory, as ether can form explosive peroxides in the presence of air. Apart from that, I haven't really worked with much dangerous stuff, as I mostly deal with inorganic chemistry.

Some dude near where my parents live had like 250 liters of ether in his basement, from when he used to fly model airplanes. After a news segment on TV concerning the dangers of stored ether in school laboratories, he phoned the local fire department and asked them what he should do with 250 liters of potentially very unstable ether. Their response was "Sleep somewhere else tonight, the bomb disposal unit will be there first thing in the morning".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goddamn, I bet that lecture scared some suckers straight.

I attended a similar lecture, although not nearly as severe. It was a lecture on road safety, how you shouldn't drive tired, drive too fast, that sort of thing. The dude giving the lecture was in a wheelchair precisely because of a 100% preventable accident, and we had to sit through a graphic explanation of exactly what happened, how it ruined his life, caused him to split up with his girlfriend because of his depression and physical impairment (he split up with her, not the other way around, depression's a bitch), all redtold by a wheelchair-bound man on the verge of tears. Actually, the worst part of it was his description of how he woke up in the hospital, all tubed-up and everything, unable to feel anything below the waist, to see his otherwise 100% stoic father absolutely bawling his eyes out.

That really made a huge impact on me, those sorts of lessons always work better when told by someone who's actually lived the consequences.

kastein posted:

burning the 32lbs of thermite I had on hand.

Why am I not surprised?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Eclipse12 posted:

In high school I snuck some sulfuric acid out of our chemistry lab. When I got home I wondered if mixing it with bleach would neutralize the pH of the liquids and make something that was basically water (I didn't really do any research here). So that's what I did. I poured some bleach into the acid, waited a few moments, and then took a curious sniff right from the top.

I literally thought I was going to die. I was certain that my parents would come home to find a very stupid, very dead teenager on the kitchen floor. It burned all the way down my nose and throat and choked me. I went outside and started gasping in fresh air. For the next few days my sinuses and tastebuds were all messed up.

You learn a lot in high school, is what I'm saying.

Back when we were clearing out my grandpa's house after he died, we found an unmarked plastic jug with a clear liquid inside.

Curiosity got the better of my dad, so he opened it and went in for a sniff. He says he didn't even get to inhale before it all but knocked him on his rear end. I still wonder what the hell was in that jug, because according my dad, it was worse than anything he'd ever smelled before, way beyond ammonia and those kinds of things.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ubergnu posted:

Pff, I can manage most of that with just ethanol.

Yeah, but the dose needs to be significantly higher.

Organophosphates are much more cost-effective.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ArcMage posted:

Ping-pong balls and guitar picks are in fact made from compounded nitrocellulose and camphor, mitigating the risk of explosion. They're still both violently flammable, however.

As demonstrated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw7psWrzHH8

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

7thBatallion posted:

What's 100,000 CPM in rads?

Approximately :krad:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saint Celestine posted:

This might be an appropriate question for this thread-

Whats a chemistry experiment one could perform for a class of kids with a big WOW factor, and isn't going to be dangerous?

Watch this video for inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_E2ZKZpC4

The color-changing ones are particularly good, and harmless.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Light Gun Man posted:

Where do they even take that stuff to dispose of it? Does it get processed back into something useful and sent off to labs or does the EPA just have a black hole somewhere they throw all this poo poo in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's something metallic about the taste of this chicken :downs:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Memento posted:

And that that particular brand of poison is being used on kids that have muscular spasm issues to make them work properly again :unsmith:
Cheers guys, I just sent these around the office, much mild chortling was had.

One of my old classmates' brother gets regular botox injections to combat muscle spasms. The difference it makes is absolutely astounding. He goes from being unable to function unassisted in normal life, to nearly 100% free of spasms.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

His name wasn't Walter, was it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Barry White? :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me, in my old school there used to be a kind of urban legend going around that a rather inept chemistry teacher almost burned her face off trying to do a thermite experiment with a wrong ingredient that basically caused the whole thing to fountain up straight into the air. From researching it a bit it seems like the most likely culprit could be accidentally using something more energetic like magnesium oxide rather than iron oxide in the same quantity, but I don't know if that would produce such a reaction. Does anybody happen to know whether something like that is possible or if it's just made up?

Various different oxides are used for various reasons, perhaps it was manganese oxide?

Using copper oxide or manganese oxide makes the thermite easier to light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite#Types

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crapinon is the best. It's an anticholinergic drug and one of the side effects is constipation.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know about explicit chemicals, but I remember a few months ago seeing how exfoliating face scrubs are bad now because they use plastic micro beads that like to play hell with modern water recycling stuff as well as typically finding their way to the ocean to join various garbage patches.

The worst thing is these bastards *knew* those tiny plastic beads would create an environmental problem, and they still put them in their products.

To make it even more reprehensive, crushed walnut shells/olive pits/etc. would work just as well as the plastic beads or better, with no environmental impact, but of course they're a teeny-tiny bit more expensive than those damned plastic beads, so practically no one uses the environmentally sound option.

The personal vanity industry has been completely batshit insane and out of control for decades. There's no need to buy special facial scrubs in colored plastic bottles, when coarse salt and olive oil works perfectly well, and has done so for millennia. The modern world is hosed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Luneshot posted:

released heat of about 1000 watts per gram

Holy exotherm, Batman! :eyepop:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It reminds me of this entry on the TIWWW blog, which coincidentally is the one that named this thread:

quote:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride.php

Hydrogen sulfide, for example, reacts with four molecules of FOOF to give sulfur hexafluoride, 2 molecules of HF and four oxygens. . .and 433 kcal, which is the kind of every-man-for-himself exotherm that you want to avoid at all cost.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love everyday radioactivity, so I have one of these tritium marker lights on my keychain:

It'll glow for ~10 years, not bright enough to see with the lights on, but very striking in the dark. And it's got that fluorescent "nuclear" glow that we all love from movies and cartoons etc.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have one too. This picture makes it look a hundred times as bright as it really is.

Yeah, it's a little misleading. But it's bright enough at night to be interesting.

:chanpop:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

deadly_pudding posted:

I wish I could remember what the exact compound was-
This kind of viscous yellow sludge that was a compound of lead and some other thing. We were working with it in Honors Chemistry in high school, and our teacher put the fear of God into us by telling us that if it touched our skin we would get cancer.

In retrospect, given the setting, I think he was exaggerating.

On the other hand, I went on a date the other day with someone who works with hydrofluoric acid every day. She gave me a very thorough description of exactly what would happen if you were to spill it on your bare skin.

She also said that the first year or so, she would get this weird feeling afterwards, just knowing what she had worked with. "But after a while, it just becomes routine".

That was a weirdly cool date, let me tell you. I'm hoping for a second date, providing she hasn't killed herself yet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In the city where I grew up, there's a chemical plant that mostly handles disposal of hazardous chemicals. Stuff like dioxin etc. can be safely burned at high temperature in special furnaces, and they've sort of carved out a niche doing just that.

The story (which probably isn't true) goes that one day, purple smoke started coming out of the chimneys. Of course, this got people in the surrounding area into a bit of a panic, but there were no alarms or warnings on the radio or anything. So someone from city hall called the plant supervisor and asked what in the world was going on, that they couldn't just start putting out dangerous-looking smoke like that.

The supervisor replied that the rules and regulations did not specify which color the emitted smoke could be, so they were well within their rights to emit any color smoke they wanted to, thank you very much.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Still is, I thought.

It is. Water that has had a bunch of cigarette butts soak in it for a couple of days is awesome against aphids.

A spritz with a spray bottle is all it takes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because science does not need faith or worship. It just is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hopefully he's actually drinking 70% water and 30% ordinary 3-6% H2O2.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alereon posted:

Tungsten is 85% as dense and you can actually get samples pretty cheaply and easily.

It's also not prone to spontaneously breaking down on contact with oxygen, into a highly poisonous compound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmium_tetroxide#Safety_considerations

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Munin posted:

Btw, slight aside but I've been trying to remember the title of a book about industrial chemistry of similar vintage to "Ignition!" written by a guy who ran a fine chemicals company in the US and the strange orders he fulfilled over the years. Several of them were of the "Things I will not work with" variety.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

You're probably thinking of "Excuse me sir, would you like to buy a kilo of isopropyl bromide?" by Max G. Gergel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More info about the Kent Micronite filters and the resulting lawsuits here: http://www.fairwarning.org/2013/10/legal-battles-smolder-six-decades-after-the-greatest-health-protection-in-cigarette-history/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speaking of caps (what a segue!)

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/JJD0E608MSEH/JJD0E608MSEH-ND/4990962

Check the capacitance on that fucker.

E: Maybe this one's actually a bit scarier, considering the voltage it's rated for:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BMOD0063%20P125%20B08/BMOD0063%20P125%20B08-ND/4477296

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Feb 4, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So essentially, if the very idea of something exists, someone has considered using it as rocket fuel.

In the latest Mythbusters episode, they experiment with gummy bears and dog poo as rocket propellants. Separately, not combined.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brake fluid+chlorine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you've ever wanted to know what methylated spirits tastes like, here's your chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2I3Gf3Sec

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wylie posted:

Now I want to know what color Faygo is when it's on fire.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platystemon posted:

Cadmium is amazing as an industrial plating.

It’s a shame it’s toxic.

It's also amazing for paint pigments, similar to a lot of other heavy metals.

A couple of the Vallejo acrylic paints I use have metals such as cadmium in them, and they are extremely vivid. The labels also include a warning saying "Contains cadmium. Not for airbrush use. DO NOT SPRAY THIS PAINT", and I assume it would be a stupid idea to lick the brush, too.

E: I'd love to have a set of a tungsten cube and an aluminum cube of identical size, but $160 is a bit much to pay for such a set.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Apr 7, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SneakyFrog posted:

..... oh boy.

Vallejo paints you say?

well. Guess i gots me some cadmium. :black101:

It seems they gradually changed their formulation a couple of years back, to remove all heavy metals. Mine are probably 5 years old, but they may have been sitting in the store for a while before I bought them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tunicate posted:

Ah you see, the falcon is such a piece of poo poo with turned-off safety features so good a tweaked-out supership that it can get closer to the gravity well than other ships can.

Something something Kessel run in 12 parsecs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This looks pretty fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GulR31WzMU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mostlygray posted:

You are correct. It's also called plastic weld if you go to a model shop. Its' icy cold touch when you accidentally inject it into a finger is pleasant reminder of my college days. If you don't hit a vein, it won't kill you, so that isn't too bad.

Humbrol Liquid Poly is butyl acetate AFAIK.

It has a very pleasant fruity smell. Apparently it's also used as a flavoring, which is slightly disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kwyndig posted:

It's not entirely butyl acetate, they just use it as a solution to dilute the real solvent in it and of course it smells like fruit, many fruits produce butyl acetate.

Nothing else is mentioned in the safety data sheet: http://www.technologysupplies.com/downloads/msds/SDS0162.pdf