Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

astr0man posted:

That's a good OP. You should add a link to that 360/sensitivity calculator in the mouse sens section: http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm.

I input all my details into this correctly but it says I do a 360 in 0.4 inches, when in reality it takes most of my smallish mousepad. Weird. 1600 DPI, 4.5 Sens, Windows 6/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Nothing quite like getting demoted after you play a game against an 81 mill account called HACKER ^^ and a team who also coincidentally hack, because hey - why not? Upper echelons of MM should have a minimum of like 50 MM games played or something. Third game in one day where a brand spanking new account has just ripped up, and got like "First Kill" achievements and poo poo. Screw the tiny minority of legit people who have the inconvenience of getting to that level because they got a new account for whatever reason.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I found some settings in my mouse's propriety software that was slowing stuff down. So it was more like 7 inches for a 360 :ms:

I used to play with a much higher sens and mouse accel, so I could turn on a dime p much.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Something's not right. This says I'm doing 1.5 inches/360: 1800 horizontal DPI in the Logitech profile, windows 6, ingame 1, and I reinstalled recently so m_yaw should still be default especially since I wasn't aware of its existence.

Yet I just tested it in-game and it takes almost all of my mousepad to do a 360, so roughly 12 inches (the pad is 12.5 inches wide). Any idea what I could be missing?

I had this exact issue, and I had changed the cursor speed in the Logitech settings many moons ago which made the results skewed.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Game has reached highest playercount it ever has today (120k), which is pretty cool. This thread is also way busier than it was, say, the same time last year - so I guess the part imitates the whole. As far as these things go, it is pretty drat rare for a game to pick up speed than lose it, especially given the timeframe since release, so things are looking pretty good :unsmith:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

down with slavery posted:

I was surprised you seriously don't get why calling both places apartments might be confusing regardless of how you preface it but I guess we're all learning new things today.

Halls and Apps are/were pretty much the standard call on mirage, competitively speaking at least. Similar calls tend to get altered over time, maybe for the reasons you posted.

Although, given that certain players play certain spots, it should already be pretty obvious where people are calling even if they use "Apps" for both A and B side.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Alright so tell me, you wise spergs, why using Galil or Famas is frowned upon by the "elites", as is going armor and starter pistol? I know goons don't care that much, I'm talking more "out there".

I understand playing for fun and this is what I do. I am not going to change my mind or anything, but I do not view the M4a4 to be worth it, with Famas being almost a deca-Ben cheaper. Famas is also very high rate of fire and decent accuracy.

If I buy a cheap rifle, I go galil/famas. If not, I go AUG//SG. For me, there is not much inbetween.

I've never seen it in CS:GO, but back in 1.6/Source there were occasionally teams that would try and use the Famas on CT as their main rifle (not the Galil though). The reason why is that obviously you would have to eco vastly less.

You kind of look at it and think - hey, that would be a pretty sweet idea, if you could practice and become really decent with the gun itself.

In practice though, it never turned out to be a good tactic and every major team that tried it eventually reverted. The disadvantages of the Famas in comparison to the M4 mean that buy rounds are tilted just that much further in favour of Ts and that is enough to undercut any advantage you might get from stopping the need to eco 2-3 rounds a half because you can't capitalise on your actual buy rounds.

On top of that, the Famas was a far more valid pickup in Source than it is in GO with the addition of the M4A1. It has significantly less spraydown potential, less bullets, less damage, less accuracy, and higher/more difficult recoil (I think?). And the Galil in GO is pretty much junk compared to the AK, sooooo.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Smol posted:

zneel was pretty famous for doing that. He was pretty good with it.

I raise you the cleanest FAMAS ace ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkuj0TpWCUw

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The CZ is complete trash come on lets get real. 24 bullets? In an automatic weapon? With worse accuracy than the tec 9? It's like a big plays preventer.

It would be one thing if the P250 didn't exist, but if you've equipped the CZ for anything other than comedy you've made a grave mistake.

Yo, I haven't played since the CZ was introduced because I don't have a PC but I have seen some huge plays with it in pro games. It was getting bought more often than any other pistol, even.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

No biological reason, that's for sure. Maybe because body armour only covers upper torso...? Even if some models don't even have any.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

astr0man posted:

This is not how ELO works

I agree, but what I will say is that it has never taken me more than 5-6 consecutive wins to rank up, solo queue, immediately starting from a rank. That of course, is net, so every loss adds another win requirement. By my wholly subjective and flawed estimation, the gap between ranks is around 5 wins against teams of even rank.

Another thing I notice is that if you are about to derank, you are much more likely to be the highest/joint highest ranked player on the server, thus giving an easier game, and if you are about to rank up you are playing against equal or higher skill bracketed players. Probably this is mostly confirmation bias though.

I ranked from a starting rank of Master Guardian II up to Supreme Master First Class. I also shuttlecocked for quite a while around DMG-Legendary Eagle Master depending on the will of the gods.

At the highest echelons a significant amount of games contain a cheater, or team stacks which makes solo queuing pretty untenable. I'd say at around Eagle Master (if you ranked alone) you are either skilled or lucky enough to move onto playing with a proper team. Less stress/more fun.

edit: Another thought which I wonder about is that I don't think it can be running a completely normal ELO system because if you derank, in theory you should be able to uprank again in one game, but in practice I never experienced this. I had to win multiple games to gain a lost rank. If it was simple ELO this makes no sense.

In my mind it seems possible that each rank has its own self-contained ELO, so like, at Legendary Eagle you might start at 1250 ELO. Each win is worth 10, each loss is worth -10. Win 5 and rank up, and you start at 1350 for Legendary Eagle Master. Likewise, if you lose 5 straight, you derank to DMG and you start at 1150.

But also it seems easier to rank back up a second time than it is to move up a rank for the first time, so I dunno what the gently caress :iiam:

Jeza fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 6, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

deetee posted:

Does it really though, or is it hidden?

Do you need to do another 10 games?

I know you don't know these answers, I just wish there was more transparency with the system.

When I was inactive for about 5 months, I got put back into a game with the same ranks as I left (Eagle Master) and when I won that game, I was assigned that rank again (my memory is a bit fuzzy, coulda be 2-3 games total). So it must remember. Most ELO systems I am familiar with operate a system of ELO 'decay' over time, but this one maybe not.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Have we seen any statistics about the distribution? I'm surprised that it would be so high, I play regularly with a group of friends who are silver elite master at the very highest, and we always find matches quickly so there are tons of people in Silver. Maybe someday we will be Nova, but that's a ways off.

If there are 18 ranks, I guess the middle of the bell curve is at ranks 9/10, which are Gold Nova 3 and Gold Nova Master.

edit: though I've literally never seen a player ranked lower than Nova Master, soooo

Jeza fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 6, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

how can you know this?

I guess the question that comes to my mind is why they would implement a system that gives extra weight to consecutive wins. Like, that doesn't display superior skill at all. 5 wins in a row then a loss is no different to 2 wins, a loss, then 3 more wins...right?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wouldn't a Silver 1 be as rare as a Global Elite or am I confusing Elo with grading on a curve?

If the ELO basis for ranks is dynamic in relation to player levels, theoretically yes, unless the distribution is purposely weighted one way or the other. If it is static, you would expect there to actually be more Global Elite than Silver 1 just by simple fact that over time players improve.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Barehanded Brother posted:

I've been playing CS since 2002 and I am living proof that your hypothesis is incorrect.

Don't be too hard on yourself buddy. At the very least, you're (probably) not getting any worse, right?

*arthritis sets in*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Hostage rescue is like CTF, except there are multiple flags and they are destructible and also retarded.

Also practically impossible to balance. I can just picture competitive play on cs_office. The Ts would never leave the two chokepoints ensuring ridiculous imbalance.

Just theorycrafting for the hell of it though, you could probably replace hostages with an inanimate object like a lootbag/explosives that must be returned to spawn, except there are 2-3 possible ones to choose, separated much like bombsites, and the return of one is the only win condition other than the standard 'kill all other team'.

Might be pretty fun.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Smol posted:

Holy poo poo this match, Titan vs Hellraisers is 14 vs 15. Titan could be knocked out of the tournament right now.

Edit: 16-14. :psyduck:

Probably one of the best CS matches I've ever seen. Titan threw so many rounds on CT, clearly frustrated after their game against VP. Then that final round, effectively timed themselves out of the round by waiting for HR to slip up.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

UMP is a pretty dece weapon in terms of bang for $, but there is no valid situation in a comp match where you should be preferentially choosing it over rifles.

Given the overall even better bang for $ afforded by kevlar and pistol and a complement of nades, you should never really be buying any SMG except as a guaranteed anti-eco when they have no kevlar and you can't afford a rifle. Even in that situation you are quite likely to get given a drop, or I will simply shadow a teammate rather than buy a sub-standard weapon I will soon replace.

P90 is useful for certain situations though. I will say that SMGs get more utility the further down the skill ranks you go as they afford you the ability to run and gun against opponents who can't aim well.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Maarek posted:

4: This thread is useless when it comes to discussing CS:GO outside of ~Goonmans~ because the people who play in them have a hard time understanding how they're different than matchmaking.

I'm MG1 and the guy who we queue with bounces between MG2 and MGE and top frags 75%+ of the time. On full buys he almost always picks up a UMP or P90 and kills people outside, at close range, whatever. He's dropped 30 kills on teams running subs repeatedly and is the best player on our team.

I personally think that he's able to do that because he's very good at CS and running and gunning and the majority of players just aren't capable of using SMGs that effectively. On the other hand, I use AKs and M4s and play the game 'the right way' and am not nearly as good so I don't talk poo poo about his buy strategy. Whatever your opinion is, no matter how big a blowhard you want to be about it, it IS possible. I've watched it happen over hundreds of hours of gameplay at the mid/upper mid level.

There is a lot of dubious advice in this thread at times, but preferentially choosing an SMG over a rifle is simply wrong. UMP or otherwise. If you want to improve picking up a UMP will only give you bad habits as a player.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

astr0man posted:

More important things that csgo needs before it goes F2P:
  • riot shields
  • night vision
  • cs_estate (see also: night vision)
  • sprays
  • the ~female~ character models from cs online 2

The worst thing about this list is that I know if they released rare, drop in crates scanty-clad female models they would sell for like 1000s of steam bucks on the market.

Thousands.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Daeno posted:

I think you might be a little conservative with your estimate there.

If that happened we might see our first 6 figure market item.

*has aneurysm from sadness*

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Just played a couple of mixes against imo the most skilled AWPer in the world, GuardiaN (yes, it was him). We did alright on d2 (12-16) but got thrashed on Inferno something like 4-16. It was also my first day back playing CSGO after 4 months or so, so talk about into the deep end.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Coleman posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it was him? What rank are you?

Checked steamID and steam profile. Not played a MM match since I got back, but iirc I was Eagle Master. I only ever play MM single queue (I know) but really eagle and above the only way to play is with stacks. And very few genuinely decent players play MM because of 64 tick servers being a joke. I'm just lonely ;_;

edit: also he plays with top UK mixes not infrequently and has done since Source. I don't know if he maybe lives in the UK? He has good English though.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 21, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I've played that guy and he's not that good. Is he a CSelebrity or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LHWd-FU3Q

Don't take my word for it, take this bizarrely perfect video response to your question! If you ever played him and he was poo poo, I'd assume it was just a fakenick or something, because like you say he is something of a CSelebrity. There's a ton of highlight vids on youtube to show you what like thousands of hours of CS can do to a human being/an alternate universe where AWP shots seem to hit people.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I don't have flash on this machine (!), but I'll check it out later. Where is he from? I play on GMT+1 and GMT+2 servers (basically anything east of Germany) and I've seen that guy plus other Na'vi players and they haven't struck me as anything incredible. If he's American then the guys that I've seen are probably fake (although I do catch the odd Yank early in the morning sometimes).

Slovakia iirc, but I dunno where he lives or anything. You're in the right timezone though. If you're better than the players in Na'Vi you could getting paid to play videogames though, assuming you're not running into fakenicks. If you're in the top ranks you might see them in MM I guess? But I doubt they play MM often/at all. The game I got was from IRC. I only ever ran into one or two well-known players in MM and that was a long time ago, and not as well known as the players in Na'Vi.

Subjectively I'd say best AWP in the world, objectively top 3.

e:f;b

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Smol posted:

Welp, finally got my first matchmaking ace. The opponents were probably the worst bunch of silvers on the planet, but hey, I gotta start somewhere. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWiVtjBScsg

Teammates not letting you have the defuse? No honour. But does Bot Wesley count?? One for the CS lawyers.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

mcvey posted:

Not enough to win me some drat skins against stupid Titan :argh:

Why bet against the best team in the world :wink:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

astr0man posted:

Clearly they just need to cut Fifflaren if they want to stop getting death threats

kill fifflaren

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

http://www.twitch.tv/fragbitelive

dignitas vs VP going live in a bo3, should be fun. VP team of the moment and heavy faves, though dignitas are capable of some great plays. Putting some lovely skins on dignitas just because the odds are better than 5:1.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

Dignitas can and should 2-0

e- lol look at that first map 8:16, second at 13-2 :smug:

Not complaining, I like dig. I don't think "can and should" is quite justifiable though, given the form that VP is in.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Starting only with my piss coloured glock, my collection of poo poo-tier items grows.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe euro MM really is bad?

All I'll say is that at even into the top ranks, you'll still somehow get matched with Russians who babble over mic at each other and start teamkilling one another. Or games where you have the rest of the team's frags combined only to find out at the end they were all the same rank as you or higher. At that point you generally just throw your hands to heaven and just weep. Well, I do anyway.

Leaving my desktop behind again for some months, so I'm gonna lose my MM rank again after clawing my way back up to fancy laurel eagle. My impression is that compared to six months ago there are far less cheaters, and the general skill level is higher than it was. Maybe there will be another pistol when I come back. Totes still gonna watch CPH Games though, that might be the best turnout LAN there is all year.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Most human beans have in the ballpark of 0.2-3s reaction times.

Don't worry about it, literally at all. I'd say it's only relevant for being a top 1% AWP player to have jet fighter reactions.

There are top players age 28-9, and their speed will very likely be worse than the average teen.

Positioning, aim, spray control, general gamesense aremail infinitely more important.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

My biggest problem with mice these days is size. I've got massive mitts that can completely cover my G500 no problem. The best thing I had to a great fit was the MX1000, but alas, wireless. Plus there are hardly any computer stores with mice on display so I can't get out and fondle a bunch of them, and I'd rather not deal with returns using online stores.

I would love to see some info that isn't 10 years out of date in regards to wireless mice being inferior to wired ones. There seems to be this incredible hangover from the earliest days that wireless mice are to be shunned, but there is literally no perceptible difference in using wired/wireless these days.

I've been using wireless mice for, I dunno, 7 years at least. Never any input lag, never run out of battery in a game, never had any kind of interference despite using a lot of wireless pieces of equipment. I have more problems with a wired mouse getting cable caught on the edge of the table, or slightly pulling my mouse in one direction.

DPI Talk: More is more accurate, but you're talking extremely marginal gains above 1600-1800 DPI. Mice that sell themselves as having like 4000 DPI or whatever are not worth the price premium.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Yeah, the latency for Bluetooth is what, 10ms? Hardly noticeable.

Indeed, and you can buy wireless gaming mice that have 1-2ms. This point is moot however, since unless you have jacked up your USB Polling Rate, all USB mice have an in-built 8ms input lag unless their driver software adjusts it for you.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

dont buy a wireless gaming mouse u loving fool

sound jelly that I can make my mouse fly around while I make aeroplane noises and still own ur rear end

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Xenaero posted:

I've used this mouse for about a year now. It's very good, comfortable. Had no issues. I've read there is inherent negative acceleration in the sensor but that's hearsay. I have no way of verifying it. Plus csgo takes raw input, so it's moot.

The internet says it uses the exact same sensor as the Logitech MX518, a relatively well respected mouse. Also a far better known mouse, so you can find loads more info about it if you cared. MX518 is notorious for having in-built smoothing, so you should find it quite easy to draw straight lines on MS Paint or whatever.

Also, raw input would not somehow circumvent negative acceleration if a sensor had it.

e: I'm incorrect, it uses the ADNS-3060 not the ADNS-3080 as in the MX518. They are pretty similar though.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 1, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

teagone posted:

I ordered the non-Spawn version of the CM Storm (Xornet) since I claw grip. Read the Xornet uses the A3050 as opposed to the A3090 in the Spawn. Guessing the only difference between those two is DPI levels?

3090 is a more premium sensor, so the tracking quality is better.

e: guy who knows his stuff on overclockers

quote:

Same shell, Spawn is coated. Different encoder wheel.. Different sensor, clip, lens, electrical layout, and controller.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Krieg is a steaming pile of poo poo in comparison compared to the AK, despite that post saying that it is better in every way than the AK except price.

Peeps are welcome to try use it though.

• Locked thread