Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

October 31st 2014 gettin spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

:wow:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gbs thread is the new unbound thread except with more explaining stuff to people that don't play

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think people are attributing it to incompetence not evil

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Darksaber posted:

"Our market is a niche market made up of people who want to collect our miniatures. They tend to be male, middle-class, discerning teenagers and adults. We do no demographic research, we have no focus groups, we do not ask the market what it wants. These things are otiose in a niche."

Hahahahahahaha oh my god. Who needs customer feedback?

"What will not change is the eternal desire for some always to want yet more of the small, jewel-like objects of magic and wonder that we call Citadel miniatures."

Lmbo this is amazing

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Comstar posted:

Edit- Ah, this was discussed 7 pages ago, but the article below was only from yesterday. Apologies for the late news to everyone else. More coverage in the WargamerAU thread

I need to update my death pool date.

Games Workshop secretly moves to cut off Australian online retailers from selling to Australia, by telling the ACCC that RISK and Fallout:New Vegas are the same thing.

From the WargamerAU thread:

I can only hope Hasbro takes the same view and buys them out to give us RISK: 40K. GW's plan seems to be as idiotic as Chancellor Palaptine's was in Episode 1.

I like how this directly contradicts everything they've said lately about their product being unique.

Also looks like somebody has done some market research.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I wish s scale trains were common so I could make a combination train set/wargaming table

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Where does it say you can't use your old army?

I'm imagining taking the same army to two escalation leagues in a uk store and I think they'd probably allow it but I guarantee they'd be super passive aggressive about it

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Except heres the bit that matters, directly from the Financial report and not the barmy statement.

This has been pointed out to you before and you continue to ignore it.

The discussion was about how the statement was barmy and contradicted by the report though.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Night10194 posted:

It mostly just sounds like an attempt to make Fantasy closer in tone to 40k.

The term is grimdarkening

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I will buy ten and sell the pieces on ebay for the next ten years because I am scum

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The warmahordes two player starters are pretty cool, you get the same as two single player boxes plus an extra unit on each side and a mini rulebook.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Calico Noose posted:

Lets fight for several pages, preferably with gifs.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There's way more hobby games now dude

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Actually it's about ethics in battle reports

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They're blaming the strong pound for their stuff being overpriced basically

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Basically it seems like what's happening is they are losing ground to competitors outside the UK worse than within the UK and attempting to use currency fluctuations as an excuse. Doesn't seem very convincing to me but it might work on shareholders?

I assume they are losing out worse outside the UK than in due to the power of the brand and the advantage of GW only stores being the only gaming shops in some places.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

I feel really sorry for this guy who had his commission finished at the beginning of this month:

Lmbo

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Renfield posted:

The Sons of Sanguinius Painting Guide is £20 for softback, or £19.99 for the interactive ebook.

The one penny difference is hilarious

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I had a sub for a while I think. Got a bunch of old lotr dudes in my loft

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I still can't believe they released a starter with non-generic marines

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Lmbo at round bases

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'm so stoked for people to have to rebase their armies and buy a bunch of weird (Lotr?) trays

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

All these knights has made me think I'd like to model a mounted mercenary company.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

excited for a future fantasy flight game about lizard ball adventures

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Hollismason posted:

What I find strange is the whole " match our culture" , what does that even mean.

It is meaningless filler

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It's filler because every company hires people they think will be a good fit. Saying you want to find people that will fit your culture is meaningless

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

All companies have a 100% chance of bankruptcy on a long enough scale. Corporatio Morghulis

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

You completely worship 40k, so maybe you'll understand the following: MS had an 84% chance of going bankrupt. In order for them to avoid it, they had to literally lose a billion dollars. They avoided it.

84% is not guaranteed. It's a 2+ save! According to your logic, it's completely impossible for a Terminator to fail his armor save. In Microsoft's case, they underwent astronomical efforts to avoid going under.

GW has cut all costs possible for them to cut. The company has expressed no desire to found a marketing department, embrace the modern gaming community, bring their manufacturing up to 21st century standards, fix the core problems of their games, obtain reliable alternate revenue streams, stop alienating their userbase, gain new customers, or implement any sort of effort to change in any of at least a hundred other ways. The company is only interested in the laziest possible moneymaking practices, none of which are sustainable strategies.

I wish you were banned. You're a terrible loving gimmick, and if you aren't a gimmick, I wish nothing but absolute agony on you. I hope you wake up to your loved one's cold corpse in the passenger seat of your car, leaving you nothing a barrage of bile and hatred from her family and a piercing trauma that gives you panic attacks each time you see the loving sun rise. The fact that a person like you could conceivably exist and is keeping this company afloat is why McCain and Palin achieved more than 0 votes in the 2008 election. You are proof that this world is hell. I would rather these forums be populated by nothing but 7thBatallions, Noctis Horrendaes, TheBluePyramids, and Hollismasons all hopped up on drugs, fashioning greenstuff teeth for each other and bashing together Hammerheads out of dog poo poo and chicken bones, than ever be confirmed that you genuinely believe the puke-ocalypse of fanaticism and horseshit that you expouse online. gently caress.

:eyepop:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I post in them, when I'm not here, posting.

Also, I'm sick and tired of this gimmick failthread of try-hards and twerkvines who want to hate GW, but keep coming up with positive things to say about their storied past, irreplaceable IP, or amazing new balls.

I remember a company made to rip off every famous fantasy and scifi thing all at once in a mishmosh with no giveashit for how it hung together! I remember a company that made rules revolving around a madman's graph of d6 rolls over time and never changed any rule that mattered in 15 editions and 6 supplemental releases. I remember a company who refused to make things people wanted, and attack anyone who tried in their stead, if they thought they could get away with it.

I remember a company rag that marketed to children but portrayed skills and techniques that no child could master while pushing tools, paints, and accessories branded by the company with an exorbitant markup.

I remember a Gamesworkshop with no black or women space marines! I remember them characterizing all halflings as cooks, and all rats as warpstone addicts!

I remember a games work shop that has made me subtract BS from 7, then compare S to T, roll to wound, and then roll any armor saves, finally removing models for 30 years, and I, for one can't take it anymore!!!

:black101:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

JcDent posted:

serious gaylord: undercover marketing department rep.

What's a marketing department

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

if anyone guesses correctly i will make and paint them one scrunt

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

ijyt posted:

The new Mordheim game is actually fun.

Has it got a campaign mode yet? I played a bit at release and it was good but very limited

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

If they ever put the rules into videogame form with all the dicerolls automated the players might figure out that they are poo poo

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Wait the slann have the power cosmic? Is galactus involved?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This was counts-as the monster unit in the twilight kin (dark elves) list - abyssal beast or something

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Oh that's weird imo, but it is a pretty good idea to make up for the lack of big monsters.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Look at all these nerds believing one thing I made up in the sea of other things that I didn't make up, how loving stupid can those shitlords be? :smug:

jesus what a weenie

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

RE: warpath, the warpath universe is about neoliberalism rather than theocracy/fascism, it's a much more modern dystopia than 40k, but that means that things are way less ott visually - the idea is that clean modern looking stuff is a veneer for massive injustice and inequality. One of the main themes of the setting is freedom/justice vs safety, but most of the danger was caused by the people offering you safety.

(I like being able to run space communists revolutionaries)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Soon that map will be taken down and replaced with a bubble machine

• Locked thread