Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

thespaceinvader posted:

I suspect that a lot of it comes about because the UK still doesn't really have a strong nerdgames culture in the way that the US does. We don't have vast amounts of FLGSs, and the ones we do have are more often based around boardgames or RPGs. I've literally never seen a PP or Mantic box in person. But GW have at least one shop in all but the smallest towns, and many if not most FLGSs still carry at least some of GW's products.

So, I would guess that explains a lot about how GW keeps the penetration it does - because the 12-year-old-boy market has nowhere else to go and its parents haven't ever heard of warmahordes, so they just buy whatever GW is selling in its bricks-and-mortar stores. Then those kids grow up to become closed-minded and clannish nerds, using the internet only to talk to other people from the same closed-minded nerdclans and never learning about anything else and you get a self-perpetuating vicious cycle. Even if I wanted to get into XWang or KoW or Warmahordes, I wouldn't have the first clue how to find a local pickup game to try out the systems before investing in them.

(I actually would quite like to get into XWang, anyone local to Oxfordshire want to teach me?)

Are you kidding? We don't have a lot of independent LGS these days sure, mainly because GWs massive and aggressive expansion in the 90s killed many of them off, but we have 1000s of Wargaming clubs playing everything from GW, PP through the to obscure historical rules photocopied in the 1970s. The UK has more wargames companies than any other country, from rule systems through to miniature manufacturers. I suggest if you can't find anyone local you Google Oxfordshire and wargame club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

What Jervis wrote in that article is pretty much how most historical war games play. Very scenario/ recreation of a real battle etc. it's only recently with the growth of things such as Flames of War that the hobby has seen a more points driven/ pick up game/ tournament approach and Battlefront purposely aped GW and 40k in their entire approach to FoW. Personally I feel there's room for both approaches but I don't think AoS is going to work for most players.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Well of course there's a guide to force composition and unit sizes in historical gaming, I wasn't claiming otherwise. I've been wargaming for 25 years and most of that has been historical ( although the last 18months has mainly been Warmachine and I've even been sucked into tournament scene) so id like to think I'm not misremembering or making poo poo up.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Radish posted:

Ahh bummer.

The army books include the themed lists which for some casters like Shae are substantially better than running a vanilla list. For the most part, yeah you don't need them so much.

Cheaper to buy War Room

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

enrious posted:

I can't say anything about the game yet because I haven't even read the rules. I just recently bought the boxed set and downloaded the rules because I really like the way the models look, especially the Stormcast Eternals (irreverently referred to as "Sigmarines" by some). I've been busy lately, but I'm looking forward to assembling and painting the models. Like I said, I really like the Stormcast Eternal models.

As I understand it, in old WHFB, units (aside from skirmishers) stayed in big blocks of infantry. They moved in those blocks, they wheeled to turn in those blocks and they would reform in thos blocks to adjust facing. This is all well and good with troops on a parade ground, showing off how well they have been drilled, but troops fighting the enemy, engaging in combat, charging etc, it just doesnt work. Formations like that would last as long as they weren't in contact with the enemy or being shot at by artillery. The moment either of those things happened, they would break up naturally, every man with his own space in which to fight.

Yeah there's no way any fighting forces would ever have manoeuvred in large blocks or formations. Ridiculous

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sanglorian posted:

Are there games that include chits when you buy the miniatures? That seems like a no-brainer, since you can start playing immediately with the chits. I can even see people justifying buying the miniature to get the chit: "I have so much unpainted lead already" becomes "I have so much unpainted lead, but I can use the chits for now and then paint the mini when I get to it".

Guild Ball official website not only has free rules but also free paper dolls and chits so you can try before you buy. Game is superb by the way.

http://guildball.com

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Corbeau posted:

I hear Guild Ball is p. sweet. Going to check out some demos this afternoon before Infinity night. :getin:

It really is incredibly sweet but despite it looking like a sports game it plays much more like Malifaux or similar skirmish game than Bloodbowl. It's very very good though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Captain Rufus posted:

No. But Dreadball is basically SPEEDBALL 2 BRUTAL DELUXE: SPACE ALIEN EDITION. I'd say go more Jai Alai or Tron than Space Hockey.

I need people to play it with so I have a reason to assemble my Space Dorfs and Skaven.

Seems more like space lacrosse to me. Mixed with hockey.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Panzeh posted:

You could make a really good fantasy mass battle game if you got rid of a lot of GW-style sacred cows like the 28mm scale and you mined the historical games for their best bits.

My local club has been helping the author of War and Conquest ( historical mass battle system)to play test a fantasy variant of the rules. Lots of WFB minis on the table for that.

The amusing thing about it being that War and Conquest is a thinly disguised 3rd edition of Warhammer Ancient Battles, written after GW hosed up 2nd edition and then dissolved the historical arm of GW.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

What's wrong with flamers hitting passengers on open topped vehicles?am I missing something. ( not a 40k player )

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Gripping Beast have just announced two 4 point plastic starter warbands for Saga. It's a great game and I can't see them selling these sets for much more than £20

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Having played lots of spaceship combat games I think what DFC has going for it is its orbital combat as opposed to deep space pew pew. I'm very excited for it. Also I saw a few of the models earlier this year at a convention and they looked amazing

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 31, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Having a bunch of your units all look nearly identical except for subtle differences that require training and familiarity to recognize is extremely realistic.

It's also a terrible idea for a game.

That's why you put labels on the bases. That's how I've always seen have wargamers do it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

That look like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

Somebody made a joke about this early, but it's an actual serious thing, don't use the word idiot. In some sates and the UK people who are declared an "idiot" are literally not allowed to vote. I'm really hoping you're just ignorant, and not actively using a hurtful, outdated term just to "burn" some internet stranger.

The term idiot has not been used clinically in the UK for decades.

• Locked thread