Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Like pawns wouldn't just make him think of prawns. Not that I imagine you'd be able to even get him to sit down and try it, especially Abridged Goku who'd literally just walk away after declaring it was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder how Team Four Star are going to handle SSJ3 in a few years time when they get to that point? Will it just take up an entire episode by itself with nothing but reaction faces and silly comments by the cast? Or will someone else distract Buu in Goku's place while Goku spends several episodes powering up, the camera cutting to him still doing so once or twice an episode, everything solved by the time he finally finishes. Cannot wait to find out just what they do with that bit in particular. That and Gohan going SSJ2 are probably the bits to most look forward to.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That theme song is pretty cool, but it doesn't really seem to fit her character to be honest. It seems to fit a femme fatale like Catwoman better than #18 who was a straight up fighter and never really used her sexuality at any point. Was it even used during the show at any point out of interest?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What happened to the dragonballs in Trunks' timeline that he couldn't just use them to wish everyone back to life after he killed the Androids again? It's been way too many years since I've watched any of this outside Abridged.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Talking? 'Cause that's about how often he sees her.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also why Gohan has to pound her tuna, poor boy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, he could travel back to the normal timeline, speak with Goku and either get the location from him or just learn instant transmission if Goku was feeling generous and then go back to his own time to use that knowledge.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Episode 31 I think, the very first post Freeza one, where Krillin is pretending to be Juan Sanchez to claim his own life insurance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe they get wi-fi in there. Wouldn't be so bad if they did. Hell, wouldn't even be that different for some people.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rudoku posted:

I dare you to beat this original character*:

Beyond the name being rather Gary Stu-ish I actually like that character history. Dude obviously put a lot of thought in to it and had the character struggle rather than just solo'ing story based villains to show off how cool he is.

VanSandman posted:

What the heck is a white namekian?

Oddly enough I was wondering earlier today if Martian Manhunter would be a more fun/better match up against Goku than Superman, given that he's not dependent on specific star light to be at full strength and is basically a weird Buu/Namek fusion. Also whether Goku would ever accept he's not a Super Namekian.

Kuroyama posted:

People who only know about Dragon Ball through jokes on The Simpsons/Family Guy remember poo poo better than Toriyama.

As someone who hasn't seen new episodes of either of those in years, have they actually referenced Dragonball at some point out of interest?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dexo posted:

Freezers, back, again, and this time it's personal.

http://readms.com/r/dragon_ball_z_rebirth_of_f/1/2705/1

Also really you would think that they would have Goku/Gohan/Vegeta/ any of the other Z warriors hold on to a Dragon Ball(or seven) to prevent stupid poo poo like that from happening

I find it kind of bizarre that they used resurrection technology to give Freeza his body back and he survived as dozens of chopped up bits of flesh until they could get him to a medical center instead of just having Shenlong grant him a new, stronger body. Especially given that they know enough about the Saiyans to know that they killed Buu and thus presumably know they're much stronger than Freeza ever was. I also find it a little annoying that Freeza will apparently be able to bridge that gap with just four months of normal, non-hyperbolic or other assisted training. Still, should be fun to see how he'll turn out - wonder how many new forms he'll develop.

Also kind of disappointed Freeza doesn't try and resurrect his father and Cooler, so there'd at least be some other guys for the rest of the Z Gang to fight while Goku and Freeza have their big battle. The line suggesting that Sorbet and his gang had tangled with the Saiyans previously and were relieved they wouldn't have to do so any more is kind of odd though. It seems to suggest there's either more Saiyans out there or that they've fought the ones on Earth before. It's presumably just a weirdly parsed phrase though.

WickedHate posted:

You'd really think Freeza would be more pissed at Trunks. Also, I like that Tien is a farmer just like Toriyama said in that interview. Nice.

I was more amused to see Krillin as a regular beat cop - dude helped save the world a dozen times over and stop several universe spanning threats and he still has to work the bottom rung. Krillin really does get no respect. Still, Freeza did at least say he wanted revenge on both Saiyans, not just Goku. Now imagine how annoyed he'll be when he gets to Earth and there are, what...5 super saiyans now? Goku, Gohan, Goten, Vegeta & Trunks. More if Pan or anyone else can do it for the hell of it. On the other hand I guess he gets to beat the snot out of all but one of them with ease to show off his new power going by the usual Toriyama conventions, so at least he'll get to enjoy that once he gets past seeing them all.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 2, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So given that a lot of the Dragonball cast became either sidelined or disappeared entirely in Z, who wants to take bets on which characters will get that treatment in Super? As to the whole Goku thing, I think it's just an extension of people's frustrations that by end of Z if you weren't Saijin, you weren't poo poo. Even Krillin and Piccolo eventually became rather sidelined, never mind the rest of the cast. It'd be nice to see them get a power up in Super along with some named enemies of their own to fight and defeat, no Goku/Vegeta involved. It's not likely though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did Roshi even do anything other than make jokes in Z? I don't recall him fighting at any point in Z at least, not even in the very beginning. It's been a long time since I saw most of it though. I can't see him of all people getting a power-up and some fights in Z. It seems about as likely as Yajirobi or Chaotzu getting some focus.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Twiddy posted:

I hope Piccolo becomes a Namekian God or something to catch up. He's been able to keep up with the most bullshit race in the entire universe, he could learn how to use God ki super quickly too.

I wonder what a God ki human or Namekian would look like. And do you need to do the five people of the same race ki thing first to become a God ki user, even with training by Bills afterwards, or can you just go straight to the Bills training and skip that five person thing altogether and it was just that Bills couldn't be bothered with waiting for the training in Battle of Gods?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
A couple of pages back someone was saying that they can see why Gohan wasn't made the main hero post-Cell the way the arc obviously sets him up to become with Goku choosing to stay dead, because Gohan isn't a warrior in the same way Goku and Vegeta are and doesn't enjoy violence, but personally I don't agree and your rant reminds me of it. Gohan doesn't enjoy fighting or violence in the same way his father and Vegeta do, but he has been fighting against megalomaniac conquerors of various kinds since he was a baby and has seen first hand the kind of devastation that they can inflict, especially on Namek and spent years training because he was so horrified by the idea of such happening to anyone.

Early in the show he appears to study mostly because his mother wants him to, while he trains because he wants to be strong to help stop that poo poo whenever it occurs. And then in the Buu saga he just no longer cares about it to nearly as much of a degree and is more concerned with study for it's own end, rather than because Chichi is forcing it on him. Gohan could have made a good lead in my opinion, just a very different one in personality to Goku - more of a Superman type hero, someone who dislikes fighting, but knows that it is necessary and is ready to do it should the cause arise because he knows it.

Toriyama himself didn't agree though, going by interviews and while the interview doesn't say why he felt Gohan wouldn't make a good hero, I assume it's simply because he wanted to keep the kind of light-hearted tone the series has always had and probably felt that Gohan's more serious attitude would interfere with that. Which is understandable, as much as I might wish otherwise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Genocyber posted:

That doesn't make him a fighter. He fights because he wants to fight, not because he enjoys fighting.

Goku and Vegeta live to fight, while Gohan fights to live. The thing is, he's seen that there's plenty of hosed up guys out there that are incredibly strong and have no compunction about using it, that they pop up regularly and that you need to be strong to fight them. And he's spent years prior to Cell training to fight them himself, Cell was just the culmination of that drive because it finally unveiled the hidden potential that the series had been talking about for so long. Everything is there that you could easily have him become someone who trains and fights despite not having the same innate passion for fighting as his father does, but because he wants to protect those around him and is willing to sacrifice a little personal happiness to do so. Toriyama went a different way, but if he'd had Gohan really run with the Great Siayaman thing and been the new main character there'd be no-one particularly shocked by it because all the ingredients are there - he just decided to go a different route instead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Have any of the games had Super Saiyan Raditz or Nappa yet? Or alternate versions of Krillin, Piccolo or non-Saiyans with non-canon forms that let them keep up DBM style?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Trunks definitely didn't get her family's brains though. He's Saiyan as all get out in that regard. Future Trunks is more strategic, but that appears to be a survival mechanism to deal with the lovely world he grew up in and nothing to do with his Briefs, somewhat akin to how Vegeta acted on Namek.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I caught some random scenes on youtube and I didn't know Bulma got a new look for Resurrection F. She looks pretty cool.

I caught the finale on Youtube, subbed in English, though shot through shakycam. It really does come off as awkward and silly as it reads. Whis gives them a mulligan after they gently caress up. It does make me wonder if in a decade or two we'll get Dragonball Super: Immortal F, where Freeza comes back yet again, and this time he trains for 6 months and attains a plantinum/blue form, just as Goku and Vegeta are finding a way to go Super Saiyan Elder, which makes them emaciated looking while giving them green hair.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rirse posted:

Only if this time Goku and Vegeta fail and adult Pan is the one who kills Frieza with the new green hair Super Saiyan form.

Nah, this time Freeza learns his lesson and makes a wish for immortality before he goes off to train, so they can't kill him again - instead he just gets locked up by some of the Kais or Whis or whatever, breaking out every arc or two to be beaten by increasingly lame characters. First Goku, then Vegeta, then Gohan, then Krillen, then Chaotzu, then Bulma, then Satan and finally Yamcha. At this low point Freeza will have a revelation and finally become one of the good guys, with him and Yamcha forming a low power losers club that gets their own occasional filler episode, forming a rock band, going to bars to pick up women together and generally be the goofy comedy characters. It ends with Freeza revealing she's in love with Yamcha and the two of them jetting off in her spaceship for adventures in love together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm sorry you don't believe in the power of love. Freeza x Yamcha is my OTP :colbert:

You know, I'm tempted to get that as a new avatar. No idea what text I could put with it though. Something regarding Super Cyan seems appropriate, perhaps about it being a level beyond Super Cyan. Needs to have the beard and tache going super cyan too though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 13, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Goku's too much of a meathead to not use it, simply because he enjoys fighting and so will start fights at lower levels to draw them out and allow him to get more out of them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

New Leaf posted:

I'd love for Goku or someone to show up and he's in the middle of training someone else.

I can't help but see this as some giant sex euphemism. Like, Goku showing up and immediately hearing King Kai shouting "That's it Udon, you're so strong. Keep going, push it harder, harder - you're so much stronger than my last partner Gokuoooohhh, uh, hi there Goku, didn't see you arrive. Uh, this is Udon. It's not what it looks like, I swear. I'm just training him for East Kai for a few days while he's out of town".

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 14, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

projecthalaxy posted:

You edited this. This is your second draft, and it still says this.

I don't mean that I envisage King Kai having sex with some random new character, since I think that's the implication most people appear to be assuming - only that the dialogue sounds sexual in the same way DBZ: A Krillin's dialogue often does, only for it to turn out to be that King Kai is really just training someone else and trying to cover this up since he and Goku both see it as an act of betrayal for him to be trying anyone other than Goku.

While it didn't turn out even remotely funny to anyone else apparently, seeing reactions to it was funny to me, so job sort of done, I guess? :shrug:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'll have you know my thoughts revolve around the pure and delicate flower that is Freeza and his one true love Yamcha, as previously indicated.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm just glad Goku's finally getting a chance to be a civie and do normal people-things for a change, there's not a single desolate wasteland or exploded cliff in that shot

Goku spends the first several episodes working at his day job as a driving instructor and filing his taxes while Vegeta, Goten and Trunks go on a dimensional road trip beating up Gods, surfing in galactic oceans and eating poo poo loads of meat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

furiouskoala posted:

Is Hercule flying in that picture? I could see him learning to fly if he really set his mind to it, and had proper training.

I hope he learns to fly and shoot a kamehameha or some other type of energy shot, so that someone tries to do to him what he did to Gohan and Goku and accuses him of being a fraud using trickery to fool people now that he's over the hill or something. Even just has someone recalling his claims of trickery if he's really flying now and asking why he was doing it if flying is real.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was about to ask what are the chances we might see Pikkon during this series and then realized how weird it is Dragonball skipped straight over the other four cardinal directions of it's own dimensions for story arcs and villains to just jump straight in to other dimensions. I suppose it makes sense since Freeza was apparently the strongest in this universe and all, but poo poo, Buu was already lurking around there even giving Cell a pass as something that wasn't around at the time, so you'd think they'd have done something with the other Kaio's and parts of the universe at some point really.

Who is the new character that the second spoiler mentions anyways? He doesn't appear to be mentioned at all in the first, so do we know what role he has or anything?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Mr Satan forms a Sentai team, with himself as the lead using the Z fighters to help promote himself as well as enrich the rest of them financially thanks to lucrative merchandising rights. Krillin, Goku, Mr. Buu and a very reluctant Piccolo fill out the ranks. They go around rescuing kittens, putting out fires and doing other rather mundane hero jobs, the rest of them training hard while Krillin trains Mr. Satan, eventually teaching him to fly and throw a kamehameha wave or something so that he can look cool as hell for the cameras and help him bond with the group and with Gohan, the teams accountant and manager to boot. Videl and Gohan can be the team's extra members, debuting just in time to help them out in them out of some minor jam. Mr Satan eventually takes on some mooks alongside the rest in the first big brawl.

Who doesn't want to be saved by "The Satan Force" after all?

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 19, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
First chapter of Dragonball Super up. It made me happy to see a pterodactyl flying past in one of the first panels.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dexo posted:

Goten is what Gohan would have been if Goku had been around to continue to be a bad influence and Chi-chi just gave up, and gave in, along with Trunks being another terrible influence.

Except weirdly, Goku wasn't around for most of Goten's formative years and Chi-Chi just decided to train him, keeping it secret from Gohan for some reason. I guess she got the scholar bug out of her with Gohan and missed having a fighty man around when Goku died died and took it out on Goten. Or it could just be that Goten was so dumb she decided trying to teach him scholarly stuff was a waste of time, might as roll with the punches.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dexo posted:

Also weirdly Pan is all Fighty, while neither Gohan or Videl are about that life any more. I blame Goku and Satan.

To be fair, Goku might be a terrible, terrible, terrible father but he'd make a loving amazing uncle or grandpa.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

[it's kinda hilarious to think of those who actually fight in Resurrection F, that Gohan's power has dropped to the point where it's quite likely that the only people he's actually stronger than are Roshi and Jaco])

Seriously? That's pretty sad. I suppose it's cool that one of them moved on beyond fighting, but at the same time it means Gohan definitely won't be doing anything of consequence in Super and I like Gohan.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I support it too, but only if the universe in question is opposite-verse and Piccolo is the demon that sent baby Krillin to planet Vegeta to conquer it, with Bardock raising him alongside his son Goku and best friend Vegeta to become the planet's protectors and Krillin has to eventually attain super-human power to avenge Goku's death on final form Piccolo. Radditz, Nappa and at least one female Saijan should all be around too - just so we can see all three go SSJ for the sake of it. They can all fuse with their counterparts, the villains included so that the power levels even out a bit, they all get super-race power ups and suddenly everyone can be relevant in the production team wants.

I want to see Vegeta meeting a version of him that is friendly and well adjusted and getting super nettled at him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wouldn't mind them running in to alternate versions of themselves for a short comedy arc in universe 8 before they head to universe 6 or something to meet a major villain.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think there's going to be a lot more universes than balls. That or there'll only be like a dozen universes at most, which seems improbable. So I imagine it's more likely to be a single set of 6 or 7 dragonballs spread across the multiverse, with one ball in Universe 5, another in Universe 12, another in Universe 31 and so on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kild posted:

Yeah but it makes no sense since they can just do it forever in the afterlife.

Given that Vegeta doesn't get a body in the afterlife due to his bad deeds, I don't think they could actually. Which would be even funnier, since Vegeta would be forced to watch helplessly as Goku trains and fights in Other-world tournaments, bitching about how he could totally kick Kakarot's rear end if he just had a body to kick him with.

Ruggington posted:

if cell was really a perfect being he would have a giant cock and balls imo

What need has a perfect being of off-spring? If he was perfect he would be eternal and impossible to improve, so children would be redundant.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

projecthalaxy posted:

The gender and identity politics of Akira Toriyama must be corrected, ideally by force.

Nah, the best way is obviously to just wish for it. I mean, the dragonballs would help but the wish is the important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Holy poo poo, how did Goku make those guns go super saiyan?

• Locked thread