Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Schubalts posted:

But Cell killed him by self-destructing.

Cell was weaker than Goku at the time though and still killed him anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't get why everyone's calling SSJ2 Gohan crazy when he was just really, really pissed off.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Rock the Dragon is my favorite opening, over the other one on Toonami and Head Cha La. I didn't know there was another opening for Canada. That one's.. pretty terrible.

Says the guy who loves the inferior opening. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MastG posted:

Why do aliens have such a boner for Gohan? Piccolo got so attached he stopped being evil, Dende might as well be Gohan's little brother, and Supreme Kai for no adequately explored reason decided Gohan was so amazing that he'd be the savior of the universe.

Gohan was stronger than literally everyone currently active in the universe by the time he was eleven.

That's a pretty loving good reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

got some bad news bro...

They exist, actually, you can see some stuff from Buu floating around on youtube (it's apparently what the UK got?)

Babidi is actually voiced by the same guy who does Krillin in the Ocean Dub so I'm inclined to think they kept dubbing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

The Ocean Dub did all of it and GT, you can find clips everywhere on youtube of both.

GT was done by a smaller division Blue Water, if I recall correctly. It won't share any of the voices, but it does have a lot of the people from G Gundam.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

At the end of the anime, when they're fighting Kid Buu, Goku admits he totally could have handled this the first time he fought him, but now they might be hosed.

Well, at least Gohan proved it was genetic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flippinlikebirds posted:

At that point Goku had died himself. He had seen that the afterlife was not that bad and he had come back to life. I could see it being hard to care about people dying after that. He still later get's pretty upset about Krillin's death on Namek though. Maybe Goku only likes Krillin.

At that point as far as Goku knew Piccolo was more or less going to die and the Dragon Balls were about to be gone for good.

Krillin's death at that time was the closest death gets in this series to being very real and final.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Pirate Goku is just straight up dumb as a brick, though.

Ghost Goku's supposed to be actually be smart but that's mostly an informed thing, aside from his fights with Byakuya and Gin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

"When you see your family in Hell, I want you to say... 'Like a bitch.'"

Was that line a callback to something? It went over my head when I watched it if it was

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

It's kind of sad that vegetas only real choice in friends is either a brain damaged savant or Yamcha.

Considering he killed his other one it's really not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How does immortality even work in Dragon Ball Z anyways?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Squallege posted:

Of course the ED starts with Gohan face down in the dirt.

He's never going to be relevant again is he :smith:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Genocyber posted:

His head looks like a penis.

Freeza did that until getting to his final form.

Cell did, too.

E: really, the "gets bigger then final form gets smaller" is really really common. Was it DBZ that first did it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Jojo anime was dogshit horrid until last year, you're wrong and dumb and I hate you and your institution

You'd best be talking about just the Phantom Blood section

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

An immortal sayian would be a BIG deal. Literally, he could just kill himself multiple times and abuse zenkai until he is stronger than Beerus.

This assumes he can get cut in half in the first place after becoming immortal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Caros posted:

Didn't he gain the ability to use 'God' powers in his regular form at the end of the last film? Because you see the pink god aura up against frieza's at one point without the golden hair etc.

I gotta watch battle of the gods again.

The god form actually raised his base power level to be almost as high as when he's transformed, so there's not actually a huge amount of difference.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Huh?

Didn't Beerus just clown SSJ3 Goku but actually had to try vs God Goku?

Beerus still had to try after Goku powered down from super saiyan god, because he was still almost as strong. Goku's kept the power from the transformation without having to transform, is what I'm saying.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 5, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

So why does it seem like Freiza is always the go-to villain when it comes to DBZ? I've never really thought of him as the most significant or most important, so did Japanese fans just latch onto him or something?

Dude has his own heavy metal song.

Frieza was built up for an entire arc as being preposterously strong, whose power and influence were on a scale completely removed from anyone in the series up to that point, and when they finally fought him he lived up to it and then some. Cell was the last in a villain bait-and-switch, and Majin Buu's more powerful but not really more intimidating or sinister looking.

And unlike Piccolo or Vegeta, Goku never overpowered him during the fight. It took literally everyone working together for Goku to land what was at that time the largest energy attack in the whole series on Frieza.

And then he shrugged it off, blew a hole in Piccolo's chest, and killed Krillin, which at the time looked to be for good.

So basically it comes down to him being monumentally stronger than anyone that came before, and having his shtick copied by anyone that came after.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just realized, Frieza got chumped hard by Trunks but outside of that he's never been treated as anything less than a big deal by anything Toriyama did, right? It's all the Toei parts where he gets poo poo on?

E: Even in Battle of Gods, Beerus does a double-take when he's told someone actually killed Frieza.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 5, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

I think the Trunks chumping Freeza thing was to establish that the Androids were a HUGE threat as someone who could defeat Freeza could not defeat the Androids.

Yeah, everyone there not named Trunks was essentially making GBS threads themselves at the thought of Frieza right on their front door, especially with Goku not around at the time.

Which makes me think Toriyama might not have him get beaten down by everyone from Yamcha to Krillin in the new movie. Besides, even if Frieza was only as strong as he used to be that would still make him someone who could blow up Earth that has a serious vendetta against pretty much a quarter of the main cast.

Speaking of Trunks though, I hope they have him interact with Frieza a little bit, seems like something great could come out of that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Esroc posted:

I always found it funny that the big threat was cyborgs, but Freeza was also a cyborg at that point and this was never even mentioned. Which means tech an old man cobbled together in a cave is somehow more advanced than what a Galaxy spanning empire controlled by the most powerful non-God in the Universe has at their disposal.

I think Frieza came back as a cyborg for this exact reason, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The wish has to be used on Freeza coming back to life so unless they gently caress up Namek again this seems unlikely.

The dragon balls can grant 2 wishes now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should note that Beerus (Who is a pretty good judge for stuff like this.) Said that he seriously doubted that Goku could have beaten Freeza in his base form when they first met.

To be fair that was with Goku at about as low as he could go without being weakened somehow.

If they pull something like Frieza just not using his final form on Namek the new movie can go gently caress itself though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

e X posted:

Again. Honestly, I complete agree that transformation got incredible stale after SSJ, but Toriyama replaced it with he one gimmick that was actually more played out by that point.

Gohan having more power to use will never ever get stale.

I'd love it if the next movie just had someone go "nope turns out Gohan's still got more energy left to bring out" and then bam he's stronger than God Goku.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silento posted:

mods, change my name to Godku

What a waste of a wish

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Images of Goku and Vegeta's new gis while training under Whis, apparently

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Why are they different? It doesn't seem like Whis' symbol since there's two of them. I wonder if one is Whis and one is Beers

Isn't Vegeta's symbol just over a wrinkle in the armor?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Esroc posted:

Ah. So that's the convoluted deus ex machina they'll use to make Freeza a threat. Give him a new form and then gimp the other characters by taking away one of the coolest aspects of the entire show.

I was severely underwhelmed by Battle of Gods, and this movie seems to be going in a direction I like even less. I think it's time to jump off the DBZ bandwagon and just cherish my memories.

Goku's base form at this point is head and shoulders above where Frieza was or even the strongest Super Saiyan form he had available, since he kept most of the god power.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't really explain how Gohan wouldn't step on Freeza's face fifteen times in a row before he can finish his introduction.

Or Piccolo for that matter. Or hell, Android 18.

Kid Buu taught us the lesson that only Goku and Vegeta can be useful anymore.

And only partially Vegeta

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Beerus said Goku was not as strong as Freeza in base.

Post god transformation he is.

He's almost as strong in base as he is in god.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

That is some amazing interpretation of the source material. :stare:

They probably never saw past the Saiyan saga when they dubbed.

And you act like Toei didn't do stupider poo poo with their filler.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Did I watch the ocean dub as a kid :aaa:

E: After watching it, I remember Vegeta telling Goku about his dad, but I definitely don't remember that voice....

Ocean dub owned, their Piccolo was better for the first season and so was their Vegeta.

I think their Goku was just better in general, too

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

The biggest mind blow was when, years later, I found out Ocean suddenly picked up where they left off.

Sadly they seemed to have gotten worse over the years.

They had to dub the entire rest of the series in what was essentially a year.

That's roughly 200 episodes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Could End of Buu saga Krillin beat Frieza?

Yes, in the same way Frieza saga Krillin could beat Frieza.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

He doesn't sound that butthurt, he even ended it telling them to go see the movie because it owns. :shobon: He just observed that Beerus isn't really that visually intimidating, which is... honestly, true. It's mostly the writing and the fight scenes that sell him as a bad motherfucker.

Frieza's final form wasn't visually intimidating and Buu sure as hell wasn't either.

Same with Cell's final form.

The baddest motherfuckers in DBZ rarely look like they're preposterous shitwreckers

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also, visual intimidation isn't just "URRRGHH MORE MUSCLES *flex* *flex*", all those were legit scary looking. Beerus is a scary motherfucker, yeah, but he just looks like a skinny catman until he starts beating on people.

Beerus design still looks pretty creepy, which really isn't a DBZ thing often outside 1st form Cell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Solid. Lots of things paying off (even that dumb clone Ms. Briefs gag from last episode) and a lot of solid chuckles.

Poor 16. He just wants to kill Goku so drat badly.

What was piccolo saying he felt nostalgic for? Was it a reference to him being King Piccolo's son?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can't his wife annually blackmail Satan to the tune of 10 million dollars

The gently caress does he need a job for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SirDrone posted:

Fat Buu and Kid Buu engaging in Looney Tunes combat never gets old.

It's a little undermined by the fact that they could've just warped Gohan in there to clown the ever loving poo poo out of Kid Buu.

• Locked thread