Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

wccftech put out an Iron Rain preview video. "L2: Release Babies"

Also, an interview here with producer Nobuyuki Okajima with some interesting info. Six player co-op and 4v4 PVP options available. Split-screen still available but no idea whether it is limited to offline play or not. All weapons are unlocked with gems dropped by enemies/rewarded for completing missions, so no more crates to collect apparently.

Mission Packs 1 and 2 available in February and March for EDF 5.

Sounds promising for EDF 5 on PC at some point :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

There are only two reviews on metacritic at the moment, both by unknown (to me) game sites, one of which couldn't even bother proofreading the first sentence of their review. Siliconera is livestreaming it right now on twitch. Link

The Siliconera stream sure makes it feel like the writers and voiceovers skipped the amusing cheese of the normal EDF games for some kind of semiserious tone.
Gameplay looks ok, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's a very fair review of Iron Rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalwhAj8PSg

Same guy who did the class guide I posted earlier, so he's a bit low energy but overall pretty good.

https://i.imgur.com/L2KTJ5H.gifv
I like the look of this weapon, whatever it is :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

This is good news :peanut:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I bought the PC version of EDF today and it is soooo good :allears:
Only complaint is that the EDF songs are not as good as the ones in 4.1, but I can live with that.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

At least they bothered recording wingdiver lines for it this time though.

True, though it is of limited value to me when I don't even care about the songs in 5 because of the lyrics being comparatively boring.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jawnycat posted:

The helis in 5 at least are better than they were in 4.1, you can actually take off in less than five minutes and, vaguely, aim at ground targets with the fixed guns! Like, I don't feel like I'm just meme'ing when I bring a heli in on my loadout anymore. At the very least assaulting the walking alien base with one was super rad and, maybe, somewhat effective. Maybe.

The greatest travesty in 5 though is that the motorcycles are actually controllable. What is this sick twisted madness of driving in a straight line.

Motorcycles are still delightfully terrible if you bring them on a rice field map, imo. The little bumps along the edges of every field makes it nearly impossible to turn at any kind of speed without just flying sideways.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Wow. I was not ready for mission 62 and neither were the fencer NPCs I got with me on the mission. Too bad they refused to stay in the parking garage even after I found one. :stonklol:

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was funny as hell, along with the ICE jokes.

ICE? I am guessing this is not about some Internal Combustion Engine?

Lexorin posted:

Sorta disappointed that EDF 5 seems to have the same exact levels as 4.1
Do you mean the general themes of the levels or what? I have not seen a single level that feels like a 4.1 level so far.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they reuse some maps from 4.1, like the beach.

Oh, right. I forgot about that one.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have loadout suggestions for doing mission 109 as a lone Ranger (941 Armor)? I and the dozen or so NPCs still left keep dying to the floating purple laser cannons once I get to the final faster spinning ring around the ship after taking down transport ships, ground troops, the big cannon, all outer rings and both shields.
It's almost like the damage output doubles towards the end and I can't take out the whatever is shooting me fast enough. The entire mission up to that point works fine with my NPC deathball and I just rolling around and wiping things while I pick up the occassional health pack for them, but they just melt away in less than two minutes in that final phase.

I've mostly been trying the E9 Hornet rocket launcher and either the T1 Stork LS assault rifle or the Slaughter E22 GA shotgun as my weapons, with the Lightweight Protector E2 as support gear for running to/from health pickups or enemies faster.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lexorin posted:

I feel like they were going to use the greys first and then the frog troopers. Because that'd make more sense with the VO lines. The troops talk about how the frogs look JUST LIKE PEOPLE, but then they talk about how hideous the greys are.

I would not be surprised if they got things mixed up by accident but decided it was more fun that way and just kept it around.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Phillby posted:

If EDF is good at one thing its building up to that one moment in the final mission, just after the mothership enters its desperation phase and goes nuts with the lasers, where the radio chatter gets bleak because all hope is lost and then, against all possible odds, someone pipes up on the radio with "wait! Theres still somebody out there fighting!" And its you, they're talking about you and YOU'RE loving DOING IT YOU'RE SAVING THE GODDAMN EARTH SINGLEHANDEDLY.

It's the EDF moment (tm) and it gets me every single time.

I feel like 4.1 built up to that final mission better than 5 does. 5 does raise the stake slowly, but then you just stumble upon the final boss by accident, as far as I can tell.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Late to the party and finally playing through EDF 4.1 on Normal > Hard after getting stuck around mission ~40 trying to do hard/ hardest with way too little armor.

Beat it on Normal with Ranger and it seems like the second half of the game is really biased in favor of super long range options with all the dropships and Earth Eaters that need getting got; Ranger rockets own but I'm not sure how I'd do those sequences as Fencer (keep 2x cannons on switch? But that's not dash cancel friendly) or Wing Diver (fly up to dropships as Diver?)

Are there any secret tricks or damage methods I'm missing for dealing with those Earth Eater panels/ transforming dropships?

As Wing Diver on the city maps, I would usually just pick one of the taller skyscrapers and fly up to stand on it. That way you don't need extreme range weapons or be actively flying to attack earth eaters.

Mr Phillby posted:

There's some build up in 5, it's just a lot less memorable than 4.1 because Ohara the ravager expert was an amazing character, ofc you're going to remember him going out in a blaze of glory so you can find and defeat THE BRAIN.

5 has a lot of background chatter about EGGS THROUGHOUT HISTORY, and IIRC you're right that you're just sort of fighting a mothership and it turns out to be the important one? I did appreciate the token gesture they made towards explaining why Giant Ants were a thing though. Also the actual final boss in 5 is great, and I never really cared for actually fighting the Earth eaters, even though the concept was cool as heck.

If i had to rate the mothership fights in all the games I'd probably say 5, 2, 4.1, 3, 1, IR (IA doesn't even qualify) would be the order.

Yeah, I just wish they could have had us fight one normal mothership first, or something. It's such a leap at the end from mostly "regular" enemies to "whoops, here's the end boss" with almost nothing in between.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of trying to solo mission 22 on hard mode in a multiplayer room with a shotgun and the MLRA-2 missiles with multiple lockon support gear. The first three pylons went ok, but once I got to the last three pylons and lost all the NPCs it took a loooooong time to kill even one pylon while being swarmed by red ants and jumping spiders.
At least I got 58 armor and 4+ pages of equipment pickups listed afterward :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

I got 4.1 during the sale but haven't played it yet since I'm working on my backlog, but everyone is raving about 5. I've never played an EDF before, is 5 to 4.1 what Monster Hunter World is to the rest of the series?

5 has some quality of life improvements such as decent mouse controls in the menus, but once you are in a mission it's very similar to 4.1 other than a different story.
Try 4.1 first if you already have it :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Just got to mission 41 and getting absolutely wrecked by green lasers. Any loadout recommendations? I'm playing ranger with an assault rifle and a sniper.

The final part of the mission where tons of enemies get dropped, wrecks me.

Basically, when you get to the last phase of the mission (that is when the base starts rising), immediately run away and take up position somewhere far off with some buildings for cover, ignoring the instructions command is giving you about getting close. Then, start sniping the lasers, preferably the green ones whenever you have a clear shot on them.
I did it with a rocket launcher instead of a sniper rifle, but the general strategy should work just fine regardless.
I had accidentally picked up a sniper rifle wielding ranger squad and a fencer squad during the earlier parts of the mission and most of the health pickups I grabbed was just for keeping them alive while they helped me with whatever enemies strayed over to our sniping position.

Once you have removed most of the cannons, you can start inching your way towards the base and clearing things out bit by bit. Just keep moving around while you're out sniping to avoid the artillery fire, unless you take the time to clear those cannons, too.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

You know what EDF needs?

Endless mode.

:hmmyes:
This goon gets it

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Mission pack DLC should now be available for EDF 5
https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1154291325669236736

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I take it the city map (or one of them if there are more than one) is loosely based around central Sapporo with Odori Park and that TV tower?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The random voice lines are just so good sometimes.

:v: Are you a soy sauce or ketchup person?
:argh: Don't say stupid things.

or

:ohdear: I don't want to fight these things in a place like this!
:v: That's what the drill sergeant said, too.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

"The whole squad's dying!"
"It's just like in my dreams! :yayclod:"

:allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

There were a few maps I legitimately swear by the free bike warts and all, like chasing after the fortress. So I could zip over to help Air Raiders and revive wing divers between chasing the fortress and whittling the limbs off cyber frogs so the fencers have an easier time giving them a surprise colonoscopy.

Even when I'd leave the bike behind and wildly gesticulated towards it, the Air Raiders never wanted it though :v:

That said, I remember it being surprisingly difficulty to hand complete strangers one of the ranger tanks. Given the EDF community is extremely chill, I've put that down to them probably thinking "It would be RUDE for me to steal their tank!"

I think there is a quick chat option that says something like "get in this vehicle".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The guided rocket launchers are a lot of fun on missions where the queens show up. Once the first few hit and cause it to ragdoll in the air you can guide the rest so they either smash it down to the ground or fling it way up in the air :allears:
They are also not terrible against the deroys since you can just guide them to hit the main mass without having to think about the leg cannons.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

vkeios posted:

The pill bugs rule. On the first mission with them, I was playing as wing diver so I was super excited to have some enemies with no ranged attacks after all those drat greys.

I parked on top of a building to watch them roll around and then suddenly from my left, one just smacks me in the head. Apparently they can jump pretty high.

On mission 87, or whatever that weapon farming mission is, if you run to the cover immediately at the start and then look back towards where you left the NPC soldiers, you will eventually see the pill buggs jumping up into the clouds as they start heading towards your location. It's bizarre.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

haunted bong posted:

Mission 31, Normal. Mostly playing as Fencer, with a few dips into Ranger and Wing Diver

You will definitely want to just back away from the start of the mission. Don't get underneath the base at any point, just stay away and let the NPCs tank the attack. Bring long range weapons so you can help shoot the drones and frog soldiers. Once you have met the snipers, just head over to the heavy tanks and stay a bit of a distance behind them for most of the rest of the mission.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That is definitely a proper way to mod EDF :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That's the EDF for you :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
And 4.1 is 30% off :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's somehow very EDF to have huge armor numbers on paper and still fail against the aliens :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Iron Rain is 60% off right now on Steam. Gonna give it a try at that price

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How in the world does Iron Rain refuse to run in what should be fairly standard 2560x1440p resolution when I'm pretty sure even EDF4.1 for all its weirdness does so without a problem? It's Unreal Engine, even.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I found that injector workaround, but I have already requested a refund. Thanks, though :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Completely understandable. I will eventually create a cheat engine table to find those values so I don't have to use the injector, but having to use any third-party software to fix such an obvious issue is just asking for refunds. The pro to using a CE table over the injector is that you can freeze the value as long as the game remains open. The injector requires you to occasionally open up the console, press up, and re-enter the command because it swaps back to 1080/60 during some loading screens or cutscenes.

Iron Rain's biggest issue is that you can't join multiplayer games in progress or even just hang out in a lobby waiting for the mission to be over, so the only time lobbies are listed is when they are open between missions. It really kills the MP compared to something like EDF 4.1 or 5 where you can hop in and wait for the group to finish. I have launched it so many times looking for a game and have only ever joined on two people. Unfortunately, it sold poorly to even poorer reviews, so there chance of any more patches is about as good as Nintendo selling Breath of the Wild on Steam.
Yeah. I have used 3rd party fixes for a lot of games over the years, but seeing as how this wasn't even a permanent fix it didn't seem worth it. It's like the stupid keybind solution for the terrible FoV in Borderlands 1.

I had no idea the multiplayer was so bad, but that's yet another reason to not keep it. Too bad they could not put out a better product :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
After seeing GiantBomb playing the recent 'meh' looking One Punch Man game, I wish they could have used the EDF5 engine instead and just made a game where you run around punching giant monsters in the face.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Achtane posted:

This game needs to go on sale 'cause I can't convince my friends to get it at $60. :saddowns:

EDF 4.1 is €16.79 right now on Steam if they have not already played that?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I'm surprised Sandlot hasn't figured out by now the DLC the people want is more songs for the troops to sing

:hmmyes: :homebrew:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
At least we'll have more EDF :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

there's a trailer for the minecraft one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLY2xOguSSg

even on a different engine it looks more like typical edf than iron rain did, so hey it might be good

If we ever get a PC version, I'm curious as to whether or not it will support 1440p, unlike Iron Rain (which did not for some reason).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

so they really forgot about the US release of world brothers uh? too bad, it's a great game. Hopefully the multiplayer is not region locked so I don't need to buy another copy to play with people here
It still seems to be on the way.
https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1368396168175247362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's going to be early June saved even if I still can't travel anywhere :)