Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Preordered this at the beginning of December and can't believe it's almost here. They've also announced that there's gonna be an EDF on the PS4 so we know who's gonna win this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

sethsez posted:

2017 summed up everything fun about shooting wave after wave of dozens of enemies, while avoiding the tedium that should be inherent in that concept.

IA summed up everything tedious about shooting wave after wave of dozens of enemies, while avoiding the fun that should be inherent in that concept.

The game added level grinding, made enemies trickle out slowly rather than coming at you all at once, and made stages last forever so you had less chances to change up your weapons. In a series built on such a basic concept, changes like these make a massive difference, and they were all awful changes.

IA was a good half of an EDF game. The problem is that they left a lot of levels out and failed to make up for the empty space. They tried to make up for this by making the levels longer but didn't really have a good idea of where they should begin and end.

This is evident when you realize the massive amount of grinding that they required. On Normal difficulty you would beat it at about level 2-3 on each class if you tried to keep them even. On Hard you would gain maybe a level on each class by the end. Level 5 up required beating Inferno quite a few times all the way through with every character solely being used for each run.

The loss of levels is also evident when you look at story/level progression. In 2017 you progressed through a day/night cycle (each level was a different and later time than the previous) and so it felt like you were moving along at a steady pace. IA has you linger at midday for about half the game then it's suddenly sunset and then night. The locations also wildly vary between missions. In 2017 the city saw a gradual increase in native destruction. The first level had all the buildings intact while the last few levels had most of them destroyed. IA didn't have any of this and add on to the fact that the story jumps ahead sporadically, it shows that there are large chunks missing, either intended for DLC or never finished.

The levels also had seemingly random cutoff points in IA. 2017 felt natural while IA's levels either randomly ended or lingered on too long. It feels like they were trying to make up for the gaps in the story/progression left by missing levels by mixing up the levels that made it into the final game. There's one mission I distinctly remember and it was fairly early on in the game. I believe it was the introduction of the gunships where after shooting a bunch of them down you were funneled into a riverbed/storm drain thing. On your way there the dialogue was closing up the mission and it felt like you were done. Once you got to the riverbed/storm drain, you had to fight a couple waves and it arbitrarily ended at a locked sewer gate.

I don't know the true story of IA but this is just what it felt like to me when I played it. The mechanics were solid and I honestly enjoyed the writing and VAs, it just felt like they ran out of time/money and had to leave a lot out then failed to account for that in the balancing.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Computer Opponent posted:

Honest question: What in particular made 2017 so exciting that IA lacked?

The feeling of progression for me as well as the speed. Both had lotsa bugs and goofy writing and destruction but IA was more obvious in its grind and the levels were big and slow. Part of the problem was that IA didn't spawn huge wave sizes, rather there were just a lot of small waves that had downtime between them. Honestly a lot of the appeal of 2017 over IA was that 2017 was fast with too many bugs for the 360 to handle. 2017 had a hell of a worse grind if you were trying to get all the weapons or more armor for Inferno. IA was a lot more blunt about it with the obvious progress bar and everything. 2017 had the health bar but it increased quickly even though it was only a small percentage of what you needed.

Edit: I fuckin love EDF and will sperg the hell out about it :spergin:

Edit 2: 2017 also had a better balance between difficulty levels. I made a rough estimate a while back that they basically double the enemy stats from the previous difficulty. Black ants shot 3 acid on Easy and about 6 on Normal if I remember right. Inferno was 16x the stats of Easy. I don't know what it was in IA but I know you had to play through the game a couple times on the lower difficulties just to survive Very Hard. In 2017 you could go from Easy to Very Hard without much if any grinding. Inferno is a maybe up until about halfway through depending on how much health you have.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 18, 2014

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dominic White posted:

So, the PSN sharing thread seems mostly dead and buried, so is anyone here (and stateside) up for splitting the cost on a shiny new copy of 2025, plus that first little bit of DLC? Because sharing is caring, and you show how much you care by blowing ants back into space.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I got my code for the preorder DLC from Amazon and on my account, according to the website, I have 2 copies of it. Does that mean I can share it with someone? If not, what does it mean?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dominic White posted:

If you've got two seperate codes for the same bit of preorder DLC, they just gave you a spare. Which means you can just give it to someone and they'll be happy that you've further enriched their space-bug-blasting experience.

I meant the PSN website, sorry. This is what it looks like right now:

I haven't gotten my copy of EDF yet so I don't know if it's just for both weapons but when I click them it says the same thing on both. It says on both of them that it's the pack name then both of the weapons.

Edit: I've never done PSN sharing and don't even know if you still can or how to do it. I just noticed this and was hoping it meant I could share it so I could spread the guns.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there a way to mute or at least quiet the civilians? I've just started and holy poo poo are they annoying but I don't want to turn off voices since that will mute my allies too.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Lynx Winters posted:

Every class carries at least two items that can make civilians shut up.

They even scream when dead :kheldragar:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

What do the levels by the guns mean? In 2017 they didn't have the levels by the guns but obviously the stronger weapons dropped in later levels on higher difficulties. I assume this is something similar to that but is there a guide that breaks down the drops? I'm wondering if I'm wasting time running through on easy to get used to the game on PS3 and build up some armor.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Philthy posted:

Just another FYI.

That free Facebook promo for the mission pack got emailed out.

There are two free weapon DLCs on PSN, one for Fencer, one for Wing Diver.

What's the subject line or email this code comes from? I haven't gotten it yet but I want to make sure it isn't marked as spam by Gmail.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

holy poo poo the singing is amazing. I need this and a PS4 immediately.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Captain Gordon posted:

Is this gem coming to steam?

it was in a steamdb leak that included some known games and Half Life 3 so take that as you will. I hope it's coming to steam :allears:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

just picked this up along with a PS4 :D

I'm running into the same problem that I did with the old release in that I don't know what to play and am overwhelmed by choices :(

PSN ID is CowmanIII

Is the DLC worth picking up?

Also, I like blowing up everything so what class is good for that? I like the movement of the wing diver but I can't blow anything up so it's not as fun.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 29, 2015

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Sage Grimm posted:

Rangers get the bog standard missile launchers and grenades. Like their weapon set, they make average explosions.
Fencers get larger missile launchers and access to even BIGGER missiles if they have an air raider friend to spot them a target. They make big explosions.
Wing Divers get plasma explosions that are wildly variable in their power and usefulness. Geist is the most hilarious slow moving bomb ever. They make pretty explosions.
Air Raiders get their buddies from the navy and airforce to lend them the BIGGEST missiles out there. And they can call in for vehicles built specifically around shooting large missiles at targets. They make catastrophes. :getin:

I think Air Raider is gonna be my mainstay but fencer is pretty fun too. I like the sheer power of the fencer but I need explosions that can level the city.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm still pretty new to PSN so how do I play online with goons? I'm not too far in this game single player wise but I want to play online because it looks like a lot of fun.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SamuraiPaul posted:

The GDF Deploys is the official goon group. Sometimes we form party chats but lately we're satisfied to just spam quick text at each other in game. If you friend d43m0n_au_ (the group creator) he'll probably let you in the group.

Alright I'll add him and probably be on later tonight. I haven't played this much yet but I'd be down for some online as long as people don't mind carrying me. I played the hell out of 2017 and a good amount of 2025 so I'm not horrible at least :shobon:

Edit: Added him. I'm CowmanIII on PSN and like I said I'll try and play some tonight. Gotta get some stuff done first.

Edit 2: Main reason I haven't played much is because I played 2017 with a buddy of mine and co-op was so much fun. We 100%ed it on his and I believe my 360. We really enjoyed it

Cowman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 14, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

alright I'm gonna pick up the mission pack today and I was wondering if any of the other paid DLC is worth picking up. Since I'm getting the mission pack I may as well pick up others if they're good.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

Two kinds of green ants, gold ants, silver spiders, purple/red Retiarius, gold queens, probably some other things I'm forgetting. There are also new configurations of Hectors, like having a shield on both hands.

http://www2.atwiki.jp/edf41/

the air raider gets a weapon called The Rule of God :stare:

no genocide gun :(

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 16, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Storm One posted:

The Rule of God is in fact the genocide gun.

Where in that wiki are you reading that? I can't find any option to set the text to English.

Chrome auto-translated it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I need to grind for armor and heard that level 13 is good for afk farming. Anyone here know the setup for this?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

Did you get far? I feel like they start to grow on you. And the "true" ending is just...stupid, but endearingly so.

Insect Armageddon just felt unfinished to me. It really felt like they randomly cut out sections of levels for time and didn't really do much to fix the transitions. I enjoyed it and thought it was fun but just not as complete as it should have been.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mr Phillby posted:

IA is what you get when you try to apply 'triple A' style Good Game Design(TM) to an EDF game. A serviceable co-op shooter largely lacking in the borrowed charm of it's source material and devoid of it's own.

It was also a bad idea to set the game during 2017. They should have just invented their own invasion and let you actually win at the end instead of trying to tie themselves to an already flimsy continuity. I really didn't need the gap between 'The European front has fallen, the Mothership is headed for America!' and 'The Mothership is on it's way to Japan!' fleshed out.

I actually really liked that part of it. If you listen to the dialogue in 4.1 they mention the EDF in Detroit and other things that directly reference IA. It's nice that Sandlot kept it in the "canon."

Broseph Brostar posted:

They seemed like they understood the idea behind the gameplay of EDF, but the xp and currency system show that they have no idea how the weapon system works and makes me question how much they actually played the original.

Section Z posted:

The final mission in IA was me saying "Finally, Batshit crazy that's starting to feel like EDF outside of 'shoot the anthills!'... Wait, that was the LAST MISSION!?"

These two things made me feel that a lot was cut from the game and never rebalanced or fixed. The insane grind to level up or whatever would make sense if there were more levels and the final level felt like it was actually the start of the buildup to a big final level. I really wish there was a rundown or something about the production of IA because I want to know if I'm right about the huge cutting and stuff.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 9, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Geokinesis posted:

They should probably make it free to make up for the several months late release in EU though.

xseed isn't publishing it in europe

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The Crusher posted:

Has there been any word at all about EDF 4.1 coming to Steam? Last I heard was some supposed leak a few months back, but nothing concrete.

nothing yet. I've gotten to the point where I need a lot more armor. What's a good tactic for armor grinding with the air raider?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I have a quick question about same screen multiplayer. It doubles armor gain right? I have a second controller and was wondering if there was any real downside, other than screen size, to just doing split-screen and having the second player not do anything. Am I correct in thinking that my runthrough on Normal would net me double the weapons/armor just by having that second controller connected?

Edit: This is Offline Mode.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure those steamDB things usually turn out real, even if they sometimes take forever to actually be released. Someone else can confirm but I know some absurd poo poo like King of Fighters 98 getting a steam release came true based on leaks from there.

It was part of a steamdb leak from a while back that has turned out to be fairly true. It did include Half-Life 3 though.

VVV Mods & Cheating make me want the PC release VVV

Cowman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 14, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm over like 80% on PS4 and still playing so a PC release would be great, but I'd be quickly thinking about cheating my progress across. Does Steam give a poo poo if you do that kinda thing? It does have online play but it's (mostly) co-op...

It's a developer basis. They won't give a poo poo especially if you don't play online. Cheating's fine.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

Well mostly I'd just cheat my armor back / higher than it was. I could re-get weapons and re-beat missions, within reason. But re-grinding would suck.

No one will care so if/when it's released go for it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SilverMike posted:

Hold down the attack button to lock on with missiles once you get tone.

Spacebar will let you dash if you're holding a weapon that can. Only the melee weapons get it. If you're jumping, you've probably got a gatling gun or the like equipped.

This is generally true but the Phoenix specifically requires a laser guidance system from an air raider.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

Cheat Engine forums already have some cheats available.

One of them removes the weapon/armor limit for online multiplayer so you no longer have to be 70% complete.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Since we're cool with talking about Cheat Engine, I was wondering if there was a script that would double my pickups automatically? I don't want to constantly alt+tab out to change the value in CE but I also don't want to just do an "unlock all" script. It's probably easy to add in something to just double that final value but I don't know how to script for Cheat Engine.

Basically what I mean is that when I pick up 1 armor/weapon crate the cheat engine script would change that to 2 armor/weapon crates. It pretty much would be just doing that Split-Screen thing but with only one person.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 25, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Coolguye posted:

I believe CE will allow you to bind cheat macros to keys? if so, just make one that doubles your pickups and tap it before you end a mission.

Doesn't have it as a default hotkey option and I have no idea how to make it to begin with.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

HolyKrap posted:

This table's a little easier
http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5683295&sid=dddcd00a1ae858e0f8a222fa8b4767de

You can set your armor values in the lobby rather than playing through a mission.

Also, here's what happens when you get out of the depth crawler while on a cave ceiling
http://giant.gfycat.com/ActiveQuarrelsomeBlackcrappie.webm

how do you make these really nice gifs?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

TheBlandName posted:

Enemies can have different levels of health in the same stage depending on what wave they spawn in, so the shortest answer is "it's unpredictable, but generally stays behind the increases in weapon damage." Later missions generally lean on more enemies instead of healthier enemies. The jumps between difficulty are the biggest lines. A rare few Air Raider weapons that are available at the end of a difficulty are still very good for the next difficulty (150mm Whale, the last Gigantus, sentries?, cannon artillery) but mostly it's a case of latching onto the first drops you get that are exclusive to the new difficulty.

Do they really have different levels of health depending on what wave they spawn in? I thought they all just had the same amount of health and the higher difficulties just roughly doubled it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Guy Mann posted:

Even if it's entirely unintentional I love the way that enemy animations sometimes get super choppy when they're far away because it makes them look like stop-motion animated movie monsters.

That's definitely intentional. It saves on processing power to lower the FPS of far away animations supposedly and I've seen it in other games as well.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Potato Salad posted:

Gi-ant frog men?

:getin:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Any ideas when EDF6 will release in the states? I want to play it already!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

goddammit I thought this thread got bumped because there was a release date announcement :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Night10194 posted:

One of the issues with IA is that it's winking at the camera when EDF's charm has been your commander giving a fiery speech and ending with yelling SO STICK IT TO THEM without a hint of irony.

The other issue is that the ending loving sucks. Spoilers for the ending of course:

It literally ends with the mothership descending and then you don't fight it!