Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol we've been predicting rim death for over 2 years

long live rim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if blackberry stays alive long enough to order a production run of those shitphones that can be all be sold firesale style

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gotta burn cash to justify your jobs/salaries as long as you can in the marketing department

time for a $100/head "working" lunch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

how the gently caress is bbry still in business?

once companies get big enough they can continue to exist for years and years purely on accounting tricks and sheer inertia

when you're a multibillion dollar global corporation you've got real estate assets all over the world you can sell/lease back to yourself, investment securities and stock to raise more capital with, countries that will give you tax breaks to simply not fire more of their citizens, existing contracts with other companies that still pay out for years no matter how bad you are

it's magical really

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Syd Syko posted:

So, I dropped my BB Storm II getting out of my car (broke the clip on the armor case) the other day at work (out of the hundreds of other times I've dropped the drat thing) and managed to crack the glass on it (this time), while it the phone still works (and still tethers as a modem to my PC/laptop just fine) the touch screen is totally hosed, any places around to get the screen replaced?

Locally I haven't found any place that can do it, let alone even one that will fix a BB, and Verizon was definitely no help as they just suggested buying another one, but the last I looked on E-Bay the drat things were still going for over a hundred bucks.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

it's me, i'm the guy in tyool 2014 using a blackberry storm and asking internet strangers where i can get its screen repaired for under 100 dollars instead of buying a non pos phone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol iphone users having usable phones that their users can't stop using for 5 minutes like crack addicts is sure a hell of a zinger

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

meanwhile all crackberry addicts seem
to be in recovery???

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you failed at wikipedia somehow

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i'm sure his employment contract pays out some massive bonus if he keeps the company alive for at least a year, that's all he's gotta do before he peaces out

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Necc0 posted:

thought experiment: you're now ceo of blackberry. how do you save the company

fire all staff except for a core team of bug fixers and continue to manufacture BB 7 devices forever

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i'd buy a q10 for $99 out of sheer curiosity

maybe

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my morning jackass posted:

everyone will be required to do this by tethering their z10.

whose brilliant idea was this

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

holy poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

That sounds like a winner to me. Now that the OS is basically done (upgrades and tweaks only), the ability to focus on the tech specs is where it is at. Chen did say they are looking at dual sim tech, but added he could not discuss...hmmm. The dual sim would perfect the balance feature!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

u monster

those women have suffered enough

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

This store has to be some line item that has been lost in the shuffle and the last person who dealt with it at bb left the company years ago and nobody knows it exists.

like if you had a job there you'd just keep getting a paycheck, never have to deal with anybody (customers included)

please don't post my corporate career fantasy life

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i have that poo poo bookmarked and send it to people all the time (https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/)

never achieved that much greatness but i did once collect a paycheck for 3 months doing nothing where i was listed as an "project xyz - inactive resource " as my cost center in the hr database

i was hoping the hr drone responsible for me would have been laid off so i could have stayed in that bucket, but alas it did not last

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this turned out to be a hoax

a man can still dream god dammit

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i very briefly worked at a firm where they refused to actually fire people

they would just transfer you to a non-job with no duties and a cubicle far away from your old friends and coworkers. then they waited for some combination of shame and boredom to drive you out of the firm

they ended up with hundreds of deliberately-"forgotten" employees who just refused to leave. after that they moved to a different "rightsizing" mechanism which was even crazier but that's another story

was this company japanese?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my morning jackass posted:

speaking of government workers, i have been blessed with a brand new z10. the most redeeming feature of my previous phones was that they remained charged for a while. this phone does not.

also the ui manages to be needlessly complicated, making a phone that does practically nothing somehow overbearing. i still do not believe our department has made this device the cornerstone of their new workplace model.

i would seriously quit a job that forced me to use a bbry

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cash them sweet payroll checks while there's still (amazingly) cash to burn

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

but lol at any enterprise that isn't already well into the migration away from blackberry.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bonzo posted:

When we have a new ex-RIM employee start, they have a bit of PTSD. Its like if you rescue and new cat and bring him home, he'll hide under the bed for a week. Slowly he'll realize that no one is going to care if he takes an extra smoke break, or steal his lunch from the fridge.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FMguru posted:

i thought that was the little grenade logo next to their forums name

:drat:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

raruler posted:

why they would pick a map of manhattan is beyond me, that gets the most benefit of a tall phone

i'm the obvious 1-2 ticks zoomed out view on the passport

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol hardware release 3 days before quarterly results

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

200,000 lmfao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

they've gone from not publicly producing sales numbers out of shame to being proud of 200,000 units sold

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

The firm celebrated selling 200,000 of the devices during its launch week, and said the device resulted in a gross profit for its hardware business

gross profit (before development costs are considered)!

or maybe they've fired so many people it's just middle management directors and VPs having people in indonesia do all the design work

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I didn't screenshot it but I just saw a girl on tinder who listed her BBM and I can't help but wonder who the gently caress is <24 with a blackberry even remotely ITYOOL 2014

indians/indonesians, with family back home

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what up indonesian yosposers :whatup:

im visiting in december for some scuba diving

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bananalogue posted:

passport to stockholm

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you backup anything ever

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

wonder what they'll do with all 5 of the iphones they get

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i wonder if bbry is hiring for any 100% remote gigs

would be nice to collect a second paycheck while there's still cash left to burn

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

yeah, back when they did the WinPho Challenge iirc. thurrot mentioned it on his podcast when it was a line item in their financial filing.

that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bbry makes a pivot using existing (read: remaining) supply chain and vendor relationships to become the world's premier grey market phone reseller

• Locked thread