Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

AlternateNu posted:

The thing is. Ghostfire Blade works amazingly well with Ornithopter. No joke. Blue or Izzet artifact deck out of no where that just has Ornithopter, Ghostfire Blades, Ensoul Artifact, Chief Engineer, Shrapnel Blast, and a couple Ugin's Nexus/Soul of New Phyrexia/Scuttling Doom Engine.

Magical artifact land!

I just really have to say that the Scutting Doom Engine is easily one of my favorite M15 cards, even more than the Souls. All of its effects are just so drat good and it's an easy 11 damage with a Shrapnel Blast with potentially 17 in one turn if it attacked. I did a casual sealed thing with a buddy of mine and even stuck it in a black deck. I nearly managed to win by giving one of his creatrues death touch with Necrobite which would have been absolutely hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Is this the place where I can bitch about a booster box? Because ugh this M15 I opened. The best thing was the promo Rabblemaster I got for buying it. Only mythics were a Chandra, Soul of Zendikar and Sliver Hivelord. Few decent rares but three mythics for a booster box sounds really low to me. Had a Theros fatpack too today with absolutely fuckall in it as well :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Entropic posted:

Your chance of getting a mythic in a pack is 1/8 roughly, so 3-5 per box is about average. Buying a box just to open the packs is a terrible idea. Most rares are worthless in pretty much any set. And in most sets there are some terrible mythics. What did you expect, that every other pack would have a planeswalker or a Chord of Calling or a Rabblemaster? Your odds of getting any specific rare aren't high and there isn't much in the set that's worth anything.

Eh of course not. Just had opened packs with friends before and it never this sorta dry before on pulling anything interesting at all.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I suppose I'll admit I'm kind of an envious bastard since my buddy bought six Scars of Mirrodin boosters. In one he got a Mox Opal... Then in another he got a loving foil Mox Opal :suicide:. Short of pulling a Power Nine card, Mind Sculptor, etc that's insanely hard to beat.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mortimer posted:

etiquette question: sore losers are easy to deal with, but what do you do about "sore" winners? I'm talking about the people who after they beat you say "Wow yeah your deck is awful" or immediately run to their friend behind you and say "easy win, my opponent was pretty bad". I want to say "ignore them" but god drat if it doesn't make me want to tear off my shirt and start yelling

It's an odd psychology thing I suppose. Any reaction at all is what they want. If you fight back to the other spectrum of curl up in a ball and start to cry that's what they want. The most annoying thing to do is be a good sport. "Hahah yeah, I chose pretty bad there. What would you have played different?" "poo poo, you're right. I was a moron and a half. You beat me super hard." Admitting they're better, ironically, won't give them a fight and put them off balance.

So I suppose don't ignore them, overly compliment them. If you wanna beat them be so much better as a person than them they have no idea what to do.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rinkles posted:

As a kid I wasn't too well off; getting a booster a month was pretty good. One day my sister and me were given enough money to buy one Pokemon booster each (I was only becoming aware of Magic - my uncle got me a Portal starter pack the same year). I got some crappy rare, she got a foil Charizard. I just had to get another booster after that, and somehow cajoled my mother into buying a second one.

It had no rare in it! No rare, no foil, nothing.

I didn't even know that was possible, but it taught me a valuable lesson about gambling (that I soon forgot, when I got into Magic proper 2 or so years later).

:shobon: I guess I can understand that. I've not done much nerd gambling lately besides some occasional Star Trek heroclix (WHERES MY loving ENTERPIRSE-D) and getting back into the idea of losing more than winning is an odd one.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

L0cke17 posted:

Everyone knows that fun in magic is zero-sum, and the goal is to take as much of it for yourself and throw the rest away so your opponents get none.

This is the basically the goons.txt opinion of every game ever.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I do really like the fact that there's such a crazy amount of promo cards for the new launch. Rather than just five where one is the best there's 40 and hopefully nobody knows what the gently caress is going on. I dunno, I actually want to have this thing called 'fun' at a prerelease and not worry about metagaming right out of the game.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Count Bleck posted:

No seriously what the gently caress. How is this acceptable?

You know I admit I know basically nothing about MTGO but god does it look ugly and more like a freeware client than some freeware clients I've seen :v: And this is the service people put as much money into as they do on actual bits of cardboard, right?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Just one because I believe the definition for death touch is "Any amount of damage this creature does is enough to destroy target opponent creature" So you still only do one damage but it's enough to destroy any amount of toughness.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Sorry :v: I'm still not all that versed on things and I forget that you really do have to be very, very specific in how you word things.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Don't be afraid to call a judge is kind of a big one. Also after a game if anyone plays a morph card make sure it gets revealed to you if your opponent plays it and vice versa. As much as morph seems like a cool effect I can see it causing a lot of headaches.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Extension: This applies to a morph creature any time it changes zones. If you cast an unsummon effect, they have to reveal that card before it goes back to their hand.

Ugh that's a good point. Honestly what you want to do is probably talk to whoever is sort of hosting them and sort of make sure they go over morph in as much detail as possible beforehand. It'll probably be longwinded but will save a lot of headache.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I hate to sound like a prick if I do but why the gently caress do people play MTGO over stuff that actually works and doesn't cost you real world money if by chance it does go wrong?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I usually enjoy going against the grain on things and I'm probably gonna go with Jeskai for the prerelease. In standard I've been doing Rabble Red (before it was cool) and while it's easy to just take basically a cudgel and bash any opponent the Jeskai seem a bit more interesting than that, especially with the red, white and blue colors :911:.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Korak posted:

Reminder that casual players will never, ever value fetch lands highly so the demand will be purely in competitive players minds. Casuals hate losing life.

I admit I'm a newer player and paying life for stuff does put me off a bit. Is there a good explanation as to why you shouldn't be afraid to pay life?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Toshimo posted:

Do you always block every creature that attacks you regardless of whether the creature you block with will die? No. Of course not. By not blocking, you are paying life to save your creature. Expand that out to paying life to do things like drawing cards, making your opponent discard, and killing creatures and you can easily see why any given card can have more value than a small portion of your life total.

Thanks. That's probably the best and most concise way I've heard it put.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
This is gonna be my first prerelease and I am so super hype for it despite knowing I'm gonna get absolutely stomped :unsmith:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So anyone got suggestions for what to choose for the prerelease in terms of fun/effectiveness? Was leaning towards Jeskai because kung-fu is awesome. Just now sure how effective they'll be.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cactrot posted:

I'm going Mardu for my prerelease, because I like to thoughtlessly turn cards sideways, I guess.

I was considering that. I've been playing monored and I've enjoyed just spinning cards sideways and hitting them with dumb creatures and dumb spells.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
First prerelease ever for me. Went 2-2 with Mardu. My promo was Mardu Ascendency and man is it nuts how many goblins you can pump out. Got two prize packs and pulled the Clever Impersonator from one :woop:. No fetch land but that's still damned good. I really have to say as well that Act of Treason is sickeningly good. Just watch someone put all sorts of +1 counters and stuff on a creature, swing with it and next turn I just grab it and wreck face.

Edit: Someone pulled a Polluted Delta and a foil Pearl Lake Ancient from the same pack and was pretty excited. I dunno, I just do not see that having any playability in any way at all. So overcosted and abilities nobody is ever gonna care enough to use.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 20, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Pete Zah posted:

I'm glad to hear that a lot of people were running out of time because I thought I was just going way too slow or something.

Twice I hit the time limit with Mardu of all things. First time it was set to go 1-1-1 for the game but I gave up the last round to him since he was clearly gonna win and I was being nice :shobon:. Second time I got killed before time but I just kept stalling the board with no real bomb to win.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

goferchan posted:

What do everyone's prereleases cost? I'm curious. Locally a place does it for $25, but if you preregister (Sunday of the previous weekend is your last chance to do this) it's $20. Also, the (free) FNM of the weekend before prerelease, winner gets free prerelease entry. Same for the winner of Modern that Sunday.

30bux here. Prize payouts went:
1st Place - 1 Booster Box (Playoff Rounds will be used for the box if needed)
4 Win Record - 18 Booster Packs
3 Win Record - 9 Booster Packs
2 Win Record - 2 Booster Packs

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Entropic posted:

How many players was that?

About thirty I think. And it went for four rounds.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jabor posted:

Even ignoring the box this is a little over 4 packs/entrant, which is pretty good as far as prize support goes.

Yeah, it seemed pretty decent and I'm not complaining at all. I went 2-2 so I got two and one of my losses I conceded so he tossed me one of his packs since he went 3-1 because of it instead of 2-1-1 which was fair (we hit time so I took the loss instead of us drawing). What's the etiquette for splitting prizes anyways? Isn't there something to be careful of so there's no collusion technically?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Is there any chance that Ob Nixilis is gonna be a bit more in demand now that Khans brought back fetch lands? I could see that shutting down mana fixing really pretty hard in most cases.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ShadeofBlue posted:

If he does become more in demand, it won't be because of fetchlands. He doesn't shut anything down, if your opponent is still color screwed on turn 6, you weren't going to lose that game.

Ugh, right. It had just slipped my mine completely how high his cost was.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lockdar posted:

I had to pay €27,50 and went 4-0 and won the event, I got 3 price packs. They give everyone 1 price pack for each match won beyond the first round, so that's a max of 3 for the winner. It's horrible if you win but more fair for all the newer players. Nobody left without a price pack so everyone feels a bit satisfied.

Wow. I mean, I get being fair and all and wanting everyone to feel good but that just seems really almost to the point of why even have prizes and just give everyone two packs just for showing up, regardless of win/loss?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jenx posted:

So I can get a decent life counter and a free pack?

This is something I forgot to mention but I really like the new spindowns. They're extremely clear and easy to read. A buddy of mine has a bunch of older ones and some are absolute nightmares to see what the gently caress they are. I think one is dark blue with gold numbers and I just want to throw that loving thing away any time I see it.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 22, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's a stupidly small nitpick but I never liked the 3 and 13 on some older spindowns too. I didn't like how styleized the three was and it looks like in M15 and beyond they standardized the font on them which I greatly appreciate too.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
A friend of mine who's big into Magic legitly did not understand the appeal of a four-card row binder :psyduck:. I told him that aesthetically it's more pleasing and it displays a play set nicely and it was like I was talking moonspeak to him or something.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I admit I have a thing about binders with the pages being glued in rather than a standard three ring with removable ones. I'm sure they're fine but part of me just feels like one of those sleeves is gonna rip and welp.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't take my trade binder out very often, but it needs to be organized pretty badly. Its just random poo poo on random pages.

My stuff isn't all that well organized but I go by this usually:
White
Blue
Black
Red
Green
Artifacts
Gold boarders
Hybrid mana
Lands

It's not a perfect system or even all that well done but it helps to generally know where things are.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Christ that trip to Wal-Mart was worth it. Two Polluted Deltas and a foil Rattleclaw Mystic in one fatpack. Little sad that I've yet to pull an actual Khan though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BJPaskoff posted:

If I had a dollar for every time someone's shown me a deck idea that plays four Shrapnel Blasts and only four Ornithopters as their only artifacts, I'd have a full foil set of Khans.

I really love Shrapnel Blast but I run a Darksteel Citadel and Scuttling Doom Engines in mine. I've never played Ornithopters and I can't say I ever have any plans to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Small thing but one of my favorite features of the new cards are bullet pointed effects on charms or anything with a choice.

• Locked thread