Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't even know what to name the next thread, we're all out of editions! "Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Magic 2011 Edition" sounds weird in 2014, doesn't it? And we can't use the naming scheme of the following year (like naming this one Magic 2015 edition) because there needs to be more than one thread per year.

Anthologies, Collectors' Edition, Masters Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

a dozen swans posted:

I just wish they'd cite these explicitly, but yeah, good point.

It is explicit on Pay No Heed. It says William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part I. They still do it just not often. One I thought of now is the Dracula quote on Taste of Blood.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Bunch of card fixes for Magic Online, New Player Event changes, and a bunch of old formats pruned.

Magic Online Announcements February 11, 2014

WotC_ClaytonKroh posted:

General
  • Fixed: The Jace, Architect of Thought -8 ability now correctly prompts the active player to select OK for all card selection.
  • Fixed: Oubliette now returns the exiled creature to the battlefield.
  • Fixed: Spells targetting Kaervek's Torch now correctly cost an additional 2 colorless mana.
  • Fixed: Effects such as Extort or Pact of Negation that require mana now work properly when a player has mana in his or her mana pool.
  • Fixed: Carnage Gladiator and Agent of Masks abilities now correctly cause life loss.
  • Fixed: Instances where certain cards caused a player to gain life when they should lose life.
  • Fixed: Casting Domestication on a god when the caster has the same god on the battlefield, but lacks enough devotion for it to be a creature, will now properly move one god card to the graveyard.
  • Fixed: Archmage Ascension no longer causes a crash when using the library search ability.
  • Fixed: Imposing Sovereign no longer causes bestow enchantments to enter the battlefield tapped.
  • Fixed: A bestow enchantment is now exiled with the creature it is attached to when that creature is exiled with Tawnos's Coffin.
  • Fixed: Blocking with multiple Guardian of the Gateless will now result in damage being properly assigned and the game to continuing.
  • Fixed: Ajani's Chosen triggered with Enchanted Evening now correctly results in a draw.
  • Fixed: Necromancy now falls off of Phyrexian Metamorph if it copies a noncreature permanent.
  • Fixed: Creatures put into play by Sneak Attack are no longer sacrificed if control of the creature changes to a player other than the controller of Sneak Attack.
  • Fixed: Ability text of Curse of Forsaken when on the stack has been corrected.
  • Fixed: Tin Street Hooligan now triggers when being cast with green mana even if other color mana is in the player's pool.
  • Fixed: Sunburst mechanic now correctly calculates the colors of mana used to pay sunburst costs in all situations.
User Interface
  • Fixed: Promo Bident of Thassa card now has the correct border.
  • Fixed: Commander (2011 Edition) now takes users to the correct section of the online store.
  • Fixed: Cards in the Planeswalker 2014 Expansion now properly show as owned when decklist is loaded.
  • Fixed: Nighthowler promo now has the correct card art.
  • Fixed: Hideaway no longer causes exiled creatures to display "zeroth" count.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Entropic posted:

Vintage Masters is MTGO only and 99% Conspiracy will be a paper-only product since they're coming out at around the same time and because MTGO coders are stressed out enough as it is.

I don't think Conspiracy will be on Magic Online. Maybe someday but not now. Wizards never released Archenemy on Magic Online.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

LordSaturn posted:

Shahrazad! Which is actually not banned in EDH anymore.

EDH is played with Vintage legal cards with some additional bans. You cannot use Shahrazad just like you cannot use Chaos Orb.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Stinky Pit posted:

Last reputable numbers we got to see for participation in any form of organized play, sealed, standard, draft, anything, was right before the New World Order.

According to the Hasbro Investor Update at NYC Toy Fair, 835,000 unique players participated in tournaments in 2013.

I also thought it was interesting that the average player is in their twenties and has been with the game for more than 8 years (maybe he said more than a year). In 2013, there were 570,000 Magic tournaments and over 6800 WPN stores.

You can listen to the webcast and view the presentation here. The Magic stuff starts on slide 72.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 18, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
They can assign more than lethal damage if they want. They just cannot move on to the next creature until the first has lethal, and they cannot assign any damage to you, because the 8/8 didn't have lethal.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
March MOCS promo is Lion's Eye Diamond.

Magic Online Announcements February 18, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

an skeleton posted:

I'm guessing that art will be in Conspiracy or something? ^^

Digital products get new art that never sees paper release all the time. Other examples: Force of Will; Hanna, Ship's Navigator; Black Lotus; Orzhov Signet.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could you link me an image of this? I've never seen it. It seems like an odd one out since it's much more recent than the rest, and Modern-legal.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

The March Hare posted:

Is he at the pro tour?

He and his brother both qualified by top 8-ing GP Oakland.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Korak posted:

TWoo had a terrible W-L record and he's bragging that no opponent gave up... Ok I'm finally on the TWoo is on a verge of a mental breakdown train.

Nobody gave up much as in no one gave up much value, gave up any cards, or gave him any free wins. He was complimenting his opponents on their skill.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

If I activate a genju and attack, and the genju enchantment gets naturalized or what ever, is the land still a dude until end of turn?

Yes.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Toshimo posted:

It's not for tournament players. By the time this hits, RtR will be getting ready to rotate driving down all the RtR reprints like Underworld Connections.

It releases March 14. That's only three weeks from now.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

HolaMundo posted:

What can I expect in mtgo standard constructed tournaments? Skillwise.
I've been playing for some weeks (I don't have a top tier deck) in the "just for fun" area and I'm doing ok I guess, some wins and some loses and I've played against seem to be pretty competitive decks.

Will I just be throwing my tickets away? Should I wait and get better cards + more game time?

The players on Magic Online are more skilled then average. In a Daily event, you will see players and decks like those you would find in the 3-0 bracket at a Grand Prix.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Tharizdun posted:

Technically, Mistform Ultimus is a vanilla 3/3, and just has all 1200 creature types on its type line. For a practical application, Humility would make a creature with Changeling into a shapeshifter with no other types, while it wouldn't affect Mistform Ultimus other than giving it -2/-2.

That's wrong. Both abilities behave the same. Both Mistform Ultimus and Chameleon Colossus would be every creature type under the effect of Humility. Changeling, like Ultimus's ability, is a type-changing effect and is applied in layer 4 before ability-removing effects in layer 6.

The only difference is that changeling is a keyword ability, and there could be a card that said, "Destroy target creature with changeling."

Applebees fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 7, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Entropic posted:

So with Humility out, a creature with Changeling would have every creature type but wouldn't have the Changeling ability? :stare:

That's correct.

Another weird thing is, if you notice, Mutavault doesn't gain changeling when you animate it. If it did, the changeling ability wouldn't do anything. It would gain changeling in layer 6, which would be too late for changeling's effect to apply. Mutavault would be a creature with changeling and no creature types.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Serperoth posted:

In a bit of non-GP discussion.

He's said before that Huey block is a bottom-up design. He also said that there is something special with the block structure that caused problems.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Korak posted:

The more I'm reading the more this sounded like a clusterfuck much like Las Vegas had with people going I think 12-1-1 and not getting Top 8. Maybe they need to figure out a new formula for larger events. Would moving it to a Top 16 work better?

Their solution is that those people that are 13-2 or better but don't make top 8 still get Pro Tour invitations. A Grand Prix is really long, and they don't want to add another round.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 9, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Boxn posted:

Well gently caress me, now getting those pieces will be a pain in the rear end. I couldn't watch Day 2, what caused the Halos to go up?

Patrick Chapin talked about how he thought it was underplayed and was really good in this format. It wasn't played in the tournament as far as I could tell.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Longshot007 posted:

If a card does generate +1/+1 counters (For Example: Phalanx Leader), would those counters go away when the Phalanx Leader dies? Do Bestows count as an enchantment for the purposes of the phalanx leaders ability?

If Phalanx Leader leaves the battlefield, any counters on it disappear. If you cast an Aura spell that targets Phalanx Leader, as you do when you cast an enchantment spell for its bestow cost, Phalanx Leader's ability triggers.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

AegisP posted:

Is there a reason Opt wasn't updated in its oracle/gatherer text to read, "Scry 1. Draw a card." as opposed to writing out the actual mechanics behind Scry on it?

Scry isn't an evergreen keyword, so old cards don't get it even if they behave the same. It's the same reason Vinelasher Kudzu doesn't get landfall.

Edit: It's also a functional change with Flamespeaker Adept.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 12, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Zoness posted:

I really wish they'd redo an Amplify that counted tribal cards instead of just creatures, but Amplify probably isn't an ability they're bringing back anyway :negative:.

I can always hope :sigh:

Amplify does count tribal cards. You can reveal Crib Swap as Aven Warhawk enters the battlefield, and it will get a counter.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Longshot007 posted:

Is there a website where I can find a comprehensive guide on exactly what all the special rules do and how they work? The little poster thing that comes with the start sets is astoundingly bad at teaching you anything.

The Basic Rulebook, which you can find here, is pretty good. It also has a glossary.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 15, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Magic Online Announcements March 18, 2014

MOCS promo for April is Force of Will.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Alaan posted:

At least they apparently dropped out on Force of Will being on a MTGO pseudo reserve list.

This is the second time Force of Will has been a MOCS promo. I think this is the first time they have done an exact repeat for a MOCS promo.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Another cool factoid in the Magic Online newsletter. I like when they do these.

quote:

Ten Highest Modern Win % Since BNG (Minimum 50 Matches):
  1. LordCommanderSnow
  2. Smdster
  3. manaflood
  4. sakimmd
  5. kogamo
  6. Nosferatu
  7. sneakattackkid
  8. nrjets99
  9. Kibler
  10. Mordo Ty Moja

Smdster is Sam Pardee. Kibler is Brian Kibler. Nosferatu was number five on a previous highest win percentage in 8-4 drafts list, but I don't know who they are. I recognized the name sneakattackkid, so I looked it up, and it's James Beltz. He must do videos or something, since I don't recognize his real name.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

"Later this year" doesn't mean much considering those were posted January 2013. Wizards could use them at any time or never.

Edit: Artist is Robbie Trevino, who has done some recent cards such as Dawn to Dusk and Gray Merchant of Asphodel.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 31, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Who leaks them?

I assume it's people working at manufacturers and distributors, so not Wizards employees but their partners.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Also gently caress yes I knew the color would be purple :allears:

What's purple?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

https://twitter.com/OracleOfTheros/status/453282321995534336

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Mondrian posted:

How would Strionic Resonator interact with Keranos?
The first ability isn't triggered - there is no 'when you draw' - so you use strionic in response to the trigger going on the stack after revealing, meaning you can either draw twice or do 6 damage (in 2 packets of 3)?

Right. After you reveal, you use Resonator on the ability that the reveal triggered.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

qbert posted:

Quick rules question. Say I have a white creature bestowed with another white creature. What happens if I give my creature pro white, say with a God's Willing? Does the bestow dude fall off and become a creature, or does it go to the graveyard?

Here's the rule.

quote:

702.102e. If an Aura with bestow is attached to an illegal object or player, it becomes unattached. This is an exception to rule 704.5n.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

I don't get why they worded it like that. It should be like Etched Monstrosity and say "Remove five +1/+1 counters from Sage of Hours: Take an extra turn after this one."

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Roadie posted:

I wonder if they're feeling squeezed by Hearthstone and that's why they're doing proper deckbuilding this time.

I'm sure Wizards plays close attention to Hearthstone and other competitors, but this game would have been in development before Hearthstone was released. This game is just following the trend of the other Duels games. Each one has added more customization options, and this seems like a natural progression.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
The visual design of Duels 2015 is really wild.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
What I have seen of Duels 2015 reminds me of Betrayer. It's the black and white aesthetic combined with the Innistrad flavour. Also you use a bow, and there is sneaking and stalking game play in Betrayer. It's funny thinking about all the similarities.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Zorak posted:

Conspiracy has a new card type called Conspiracy. We have no idea what it means. Apparently Conspiracy the set itself will have a Planeswalker in it.

Those will be the thirteen cards not legal in Legacy and Vintage.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Veyrall posted:

Why is his right hand red? Who thought that was a good visual pun?

It's not really a pun. He was punished and branded for being a thief. It's more like too on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

You can tell this was really pushed. It is so much better than Two-Headed Cerberus.

• Locked thread