Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm doing my favourite two card combination from when I was twelve! When I was running an 85 card r/b deck of all my cool cards.

BEST COMBO!

Sorceress queen: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=14258

And dwarven thaumaturgist: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=9898

I make your dude a 0/2, then I make him a 2/0 bye bye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Lately I've been playing a lot of Mono-B aggro, instead of regular Mono-B (which is rampant in my local meta) The deck is LOADS of fun to play, and I highly recommend it for anyone. I'm also just glad to be playing Agent of the Fate.dek

Deck has a lot of lines of play, and you get a lot of weird looks from people once you drop an Agent of the Fates or a Herald of Torment. I'm very excited for Scavenging Ooze to rotate out so that people will start appreciating Nighthowler more.

Born of the Gods added some fun :

- Eye Gouge: This card is pretty incredibly. It helps you deal with opponents blockers. It enables heroic for Agent of the Fates and Tormented Hero (Both of those heroic triggers have been relevant.) And most importantly I got to use it for its greatest purpose: Kill a Mutavault, on the opponents T2 no less. It felt incredible.

- Herald of Torment: Okay, I might just really like this card because I think he's rad, but whatever. He's a 3/3 flier for 3 so he eats Nightveil Spectres all day which is important. And he's a great bestow for Agent or Hero because he's an additional way to gain evasion outside of Gift of Orzhova. Also I'm speculating that in a few months he'll increase in price and my wild baseless speculation will pay off. (yeah right!)

- Sidebord Bile Blight: I'm really enjoying this against Mono-U, Zombie tokens, and Pack Rats. I'm torn on whether I like this more than Drown in Sorrow (I'm still leaning towards Bile Blight over Drown in Sorrow

Mono-B Aggro

Land:

15x Swamp
2x Temple of Deceit
2x Temple of Silence
4x Mutavault

//23 Total

Spells:

4x Thoughtseize
3x Eye Gouge
3x Gift of Orzhova
3x Underworld Connections
2x Hero's Downfall

//15 Total

Creatures:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Pack Rat
4x Agent of the Fates
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Gray Merchant of Asphodel

// 22 Total

Sideboard:

2x Duress
4x Dark Betrayal
2x Ultimate Price
2x Doom Blade
3x Bile Blight
2x Hero's Downfall

I'm considering finding a slot for 2x Guild in the sideboard so that I can get rid of pesky gods.

I've been top 4-ing consistently with it at events (FNM's, Wednesday Night Standards, etc) And I've been very competitive in testing it with my team.

Today at FNM I went 3-1 for a 2nd place finish.

R1 vs Rakdos Midrange: Win 2-1

G1: I lost to dreadbore-> dreadbore -> gild -> sepulchral primordial -> whip of erebos. Which was surprising to say the least

G2: I sideboard in some dark betrayals and go hog wild. During this game I Eye Gouge my Agent of Fates to make my opponent sacrifice a creature.

G3: Opponent takes the play and goes T1 Mutavault. I go T1 swamp, Pass. Opponent goes T2 Swamp -> Activate mutavault. I Eye Gouge the Mutavault ad do a happy dance. Opponent find his second land on T6.

R2 vs UW Heroic/Enchantments: Win 2-0

This was a tough matchup for my opponent, he'd just finished brewing the deck and couldn't find any Sphere of Safety's, which would have significantly improved his deck. He did toss down Detention Spheres and Pacifisms to get a Heliod online and to power up an Ethereal Armors. Also: Eidolon of Countless Battles.

But it wasn't enough to stop the Voltron.

R3 vs bant control AKA RAMP GOD: Lose 1-2

I got paired down for this matchup so of course I lost it (a bloo bloo bloo bloo) This matchup is super fun. My opponent was a friend, and a member of the team that I'm on so we've tested these two decks against eachother a fair amount. His deck is all about Courser and Kiora and the UW and GW gods ramping into Archangel of Thune and Angel of Serenity. Also Primeval Bounty does all the things. It's got incredible synergy and is really great to see the deck in action.

G1: Opponent ramps into early Ephara and Karametra and D-Spheres everything.

G2: I Thoughtseize a Sylvan Caryatid, Thoughtseize a second Sylvan Caryatid, and have an agent of fates heroic trigger force my opponent to sacrifice a third Sylvan Caryatid. At this point my opponent is still stuck on two lands and has 3 Caryatids in the graveyard, so he scoops.

G3: I keep a hand that has 2x Mutavaults, 2x Temples, Eye Gouge, Gift of Orzhova, and Underworld Connections. My deck then decides to never show me an actual creature. I draw a pile of land and a moderate amount of removal, but it's not enough to stop the Primeval Bounty on the other side of the table. Oh well.

R4 vs Grixis Control/Superfriends, he's also the only person at 3-0: Win 2-0

My opponent was playing a really cool brew. I saw Ashiok, Ral Zarek, Jace, Master of Cruelties (Cool!), Aetherling, Turn//Burn, Rakdos Return, Counters, Removal, thoughtseize, and MOTHERFUCKING SLAUGHTER GAMES HELL YEAH!

G1: Both my deck and my opponents deck both kind of durdle round and are playing very strangely. I keep a terrible hand (6 land and underworld connections) I get in with mutavault beats for a while, Underworld Connections gets countered. I finally draw a creature and Gray Merchant for 2 :( Opponent lands a Jace and Ashiok, in response I put Gift of Orzhova and punch in with a pantsed up merchant for the tragic victory, completely ignoring his planeswalkers.

G2: Opponent has a great set of plays where he Thoughtseizes me on his T3 (My T2) and rips a pack rat out of my hand, then on T4 goes SLAUGHTER GAMES BEST CARD EVER for Gray Merchant. While looking through my deck my opponent simply says "This is definitely not what I was expecting you to have in this deck." I get my opponent down to 4 but my board has been emptied except for a mutavault, and 5 other land. I have a Herald of Torment in hand. Opponent has a Master of Cruelties on the board (he says it won him 4 games over the course of the day.) So he can't swing

Luckily I draw my 7th land, activate Mutavault, tap out to bestow Herald of Torment on my Mutavault, and go over the top for the win.

All in all a great set of games with some weird scenarios. My final opponent for the day told me that I'm his kryptonite. He only plays FNM occasionally but usually places rather well. Apparently though, his record against me specifically is just terrible, which I think is pretty funny. Because I have one guy at my FLGS who is MY kryptonite. My record against him is terrible. So I reassured my opponent that he is also kryptonite for someone else out there in the Magic: The Gathering world. Everybody has a FNM nemesis, it's funny idea.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I've been playing your Rakdos Aggro list, should I play mono-B aggro instead? Looks like plenty of fun.

I absolutely love that rakdos aggro list. Have you been playing it with the singleton underworld cerberus? That cerberus is absolutely bonkers insane.

I've gotten a little gun-shy bout running rakdos humans. It was a definiteee (fringe) T1 deck before Born of the gods cme out. Now that Born is out I think that you can try testing with a couple Pain Seers in place of Shred freaks (awesome) or Spike Jesters (less good, but increases your huans count.

Post BOTG your matchup against Azorius Control and Mono-U remain awesome. Your R/G monstrous matchup is still pretty good. However your matchups against Esper and Mono-B get significantly worse. Partially because the good mono-B players have started main-decking Pharikas Cure (which is pretty brutal against Rakdos Humans) Also the addtion of Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow are backbreaking against Rakdos Humans.

Now I'm not saying that it's dead as a deck, but it definitely isn't as strong as it was before the new set came out.

I am enjoying the hell out of this Mono-B Agent of Fates deck.

I am also probably going to build up a Golgari Aggro or Midrange list in the near future. Mostly because I want to drop a Sylvan Caryatid, while my oipponent has multiple Sylvan Caryatids, and then Bile Blight my own Sylvan Caryatid to kill all the Caryatids, mine and my opponents alike.

But these are just my opinion. What's the meta like in Calgary right now???

Korak posted:

Curious if you have tried some amount of Spiteful Returned for that little bit of extra reach as well as being a relatively cheap bestow creature?

No I haven't. Spiteful Returned is my absolute 100% favourite best card in BOTG limited. But I just don't think his power level is high enough for constructed. I'd Rather have my heroic triggers give out +1/+1 flying and Lifelink (Gift), +3/+3 and flying (herald), or +x/+x (nighthowler)

Spiteful Returned gives +1/+1, and offers no evasion. As nice as the two point life loss is, by itself a Spiteful returned will always be a 1/1 ground pounder, whereas Nighthowler can get HUGE, and Herald of Torment can eat Nightveil Spectres all day.

suicidesteve posted:

Because he's the closest thing to Juzam Djinn they've printed in years, that's why! I really want to try this deck out. Anything that lets me play him and Agent of Fates has to be good. After yesterday's attempt at 2 FNMs, I need to do something different. 5 rounds of creature screw and one round of mana screw, in a deck with 15 big threat creatures which never actually loses, and everyone playing netdecked control decks. So I guess the question is how does the deck do against control?

It's a very fun deck. The control Matchup is doable. Side in your Duress, your extra two Hero's Downfall, and keep your eye gouges in (Because Control loves mutavault beats) Try to land an underworld connections to keep up with their ability to draw cards. Use as much hand disruption as possible and try to just punch in for as long as you can. And if they still manage to make it to the long game, that's when you start the Gray Merchant power train..

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2014

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Count Bleck posted:

So what are the odds Journey into Nyx will have a Legendary Minotaur that is both black and red?

I need a commander for Bullmen EDH.

You don't like Mogis????

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Made some Changes to Mono-B Aggro today. The changes were all last second, but they were super spicy, and I enjoyed the heck out of them.

My previous write-up on the list is here:

The new brew is as such:

Lands:

4x Temple of Malice
4x Blood Crypt
4x Mutavault
11 Swamp

// 23 Total

Creatures:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Pack Rat
4x Agent of Fates
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Grey Merchant

// 22 Total

Spells:

4x Thoughtseize
3x Eye Gouge
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Gift of Orzhova
1x Whip of erebos

// 15 Total

Sideboard:

2x Duress
3x Bile Blight
4x Dreadbore
4x Mizzium Mortars
2x Underworld Connections

// 15 Total

I like the changes so far. I played the deck in its earlier form at FNM last week, and its new form at Wednesday Night Standard this week.

FNM Report in decks old iteration (I go 3-1 and get 2nd, should have been first, but oh well):

R1 vs Rakdos Midrange(???) Win 2-1

G1: I lose game 1 after opponent goes Dreadbore -> Dreadbore -> Hero's Downfall -> Sire of Insanity. I have no immediate answer and have nothing on board.

I sideboard out Thoughtseize and Underworld Connections and side in ALL THE REMOVAL

G2: I go T1 Tormented Hero, T2 Temple and Tormented Hero, T3 Agent of Fates, T4 Gift of Orzhova on Agent of fates T5 bestow Nighthowler on Agent of fates.

G3: I do it. I live the loving dream. Opponent goes T1 Mutavault Pass. I go Swamp, pass. Opponent T2 goes Swamp, activate mutavault, swing in. I Eye Gouge that Mutavault. Opponent doesn't see second land until T5 gently caress the haters I lived the dream.

R2 vs Big Boros Win 2-0

G1: Flying Lifelink Nighthowlered Agent of Fates gets the job done.

Side out Thoughtseizes, side in Removal

G2: I have the removal, and Herald of Torment on Agent of Fates gets in for 6 all day.

Round 3 vs bant RAMP GOD Lose 1-2 (The worst part is, I get paired down for this matchup)

I've played against this match a fair amount (my friend loves this deck) and it usually comes down to who wins the die roll.

G1: Opponent gets Courser, Karametra, and Ephara going, that leads into card advantage and fatties and I peter out.

Side out Underworld Connections, side in Removal

G2: Agent goes off and his flying lifeline swings are more than my opponent can gain each turn. Opponent doesn't see Selesnya Charm, so gg me.

G3: I literally draw zero creatures. I remove most of his creatures for a while, but draw zero creatures, a disappointing end to a good match.

R4 vs Grixis Control/Superfriends Win 2-0

G1: Opponent gets Ral-Zarek, Chandra, and Jace on the board. But I have Pack Rat into Grey Merchant(s), so I win.

I side out 2x tormented hero, and 2x agent of fate. I side in 2x Duress, and 2x Hero's Downfall.

G2: I know that My opponent is packing Master of Cruelties and Sire of Insanity in his main, so it's good to have a little removal. Opponent Thoughtseizes a Pack Rat on T1, and then on T4 SLAUGHTER GAMES for Grey Merchant, which is a pretty loving spicy play that I respect the hell out of. Luckily I get a Pack rat and 2 Mutavaults. so I start pitching my lands to make more pack rats, throw a Gift of Orzhova on one of the pack rats, and just loving BARELY win the damage race against Ral-Zarek and Jace.

And now here's todays report at Wednesday Night Standard with the new deck changes. (I got 2-1 and get 2nd, story of my life)

R1 vs WRB burn: win 2-1

G1: I T1 thoughtseize and see a hand full of burn, oh gently caress. I make the opponent discard a Toil//trouble. I lose G1 when my opponent has burn for tormented hero, and both agent of fates. I have two herald of torments in play, opponent end of my turn Magma Jets me to the dome to make a young peezy token. He swings in, and leaves me at 1 life. On my upkeep I lose to double herald of torment trigger. How ignoble.

I sideboard out 4x Thoughtseize and 3x Underworld Connections. I side in 2x Duress, 3x Bile Blight, and 2x Hero's Downfall.

G2: a good back and forth game. I bestow a Herald of Torment on Tormented Hero, and start taking chunks of five out every turn. I have removal for Satyr Firedancer, and Young Peezy. Young Peezy eats an Eye Gouge, which is nice. Opponent begins to cast a boris charm to deal 4 to me and 4 to my Tormented Hero, so I bile Blight the Satyr in response which kills it before the trigger. I swing with my pants up hero, taking opponent to 1, do the math, and just Bile Blight my own Tormented Hero for lethal. Seems good.

G3: I end up with 2 pack rat tokens on board. Each with a Nighhowler bestowed on it at 5. One of the pack rats has a Gift of Orzhova. It is not pretty.

R2 vs Boros Heroic: Win 2-0

G1: I Thoughtseize T1 and see Favoured Hoplite, Phalanx Leader, Brave the Elements, Gods Willing. I take the Gods Willing because gently caress that. I cast creatures and they win vs his 1/1's because I took his good heroic enabler. I see a Hero of Iroas and an Eidolon of Countless Battles though.

I side out 3x Underworld Connections, and side in 3x Bile Blight.

G2: I keep a hand of Temple of Malice, Mutavault, Agent of Fates, Bile Blight, 3x Grey Merchant, gently caress yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh. My temple scry reveals a swamp (thank god!) I get to Bile Blight triple Phalanx Leader which honestly feels pretty amazing. After that it's just a matter of time until I draw lands 4 and 5 and it's time for triple Grey Merchant. One gets killed blocking a Favoured Hoplite that was getting pretty big, the other eats a Chained to the rocks, and the third is enough for lethal so that's all she wrote.

R3 vs R/G Monstrous: Lose 1-2

G1: I thoughtseize T1 and see Temple, forest, 2x Voyaging satyr, Sylvan Caryatid, Polukranos, Garruk. I get rid of Garruk. Agent comes down, puts on Gift of Orzhova, and Nighthowler, second agent comes down. I ping a couple eye gouges off my Agents to force sacrifices, and the Opponent just fizzles and dies.

Sideboard in: All of the loving removal.

G2: I get an Agent with Gift of Orzhova, and a second agent on the ground. Opponent has a Stormbreath out and a Nylea's Disciple. Opponent activates Nykthos, Untaps it with voyaging satyr activates again, drops a second nykthos sacrificing the tapped nykthos, activates nykthos for a third time in his turn, and rips a Clan Defiance for 7 killing my blocker, dealing 7 to me, and letting him swing in for exactsies. What the ffffuuuuuuuuck.

G3: Opponent once against kills my flier, my ground dude, and dings me for 5 with a Clan Defiance. Jesus Christ. I top deck removal for a few turns, and then make the mistake of killing a Domri instead of a Courser of Kruphix. Then I brick land instead of drawing removal and a lose. Had I killed the courser I might have lasted the two turns necessary to make it to back to back night howlers. Oh well, live and learn.

My opponent is main decking 2x Clan Defiance. It blew me out in two games, gently caress this gay earth.

Anyways, that's the deck and the changed I've made to it. I stand by the changes, because now they give me game against a resolved Blood Baron. Splashing red for removal feels so good.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 20, 2014

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mikujin posted:

Anyone have a link to the monoB list that was running Agents/Nighthowlers/Heralds kicking around?

I posted about it a few pages ago, both in this thread and in deck building.

Edit: oh someone already posted a link to my post, cool!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Time for a Game-day review! I played in two events, going 4-0 in the first one to get a playmat and 1st place, and 3-1-1 in the second to get a 5th place finish, and a few packs.

I played this Mono-B aggro deck featuring Nighthowler and Agent of the Fates. Only notable change is that I cut the 2 Underworld Connections from the sideboard to make room for 2x Slaughter Games (gently caress yeah!)

Lands:

4x Temple of Malice
4x Blood Crypt
4x Mutavault
11 Swamp

// 23 Total

Creatures:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Pack Rat
4x Agent of Fates
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Grey Merchant

// 22 Total

Spells:

4x Thoughtseize
3x Eye Gouge
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Gift of Orzhova
1x Whip of erebos

// 15 Total

Sideboard:

2x Duress
3x Bile Blight
4x Dreadbore
4x Mizzium Mortars
2x Slaughter Games

// 15 Total

R1 vs Izzet: Win 2-0

My first match was against a guy who had been playing Magic for approximately a month and a half, so his deck was just a collection of his favourite cards in his two favourite colours (Red and Blue.) I beat him 2-0 and then helped him with his deck building. I gave him advice on what cards would help out his deck, and which cards he should move to the sideboard. Then I gave him about $10 worth of Red/Blue cards to help his deck out. (Mizzium mortars, a couple creatures, counterflux, etc etc) I told him that he could keep the cards as long as he promised to have as much fun as possible! :3

R2 vs Mono-G Hydras: Win 2-0

My opponent was running ramp into hydras, featuring Gyre Sage's and Kalonian Hydra's. Game 1 he didn't hit any mana dorks and by the time he started dropping creatures I had an Agent of fates on board, and removal in hand.

Game 2 he had 2 gyre sages and a kalonian hydra, which he followed up with a bow of nylea. He doubled his counters on the hydra and the gyre sages twice. I survived a swing from his 18/18 hydra and his two 5/6 Gyre sages and dropped a grey merchant for exactsies. Afterwards we discussed splashing blue in his deck for Prophet of Kruphix, which he agreed sounded cool as heck!

R3 vs Azorius Control: Win 2-1

I ended up losing game 1 in this match, which left me a little bit worried. I lost G1 to aetherling beats.

Sideboard: Out 3x Gift of Orzhova, 3x Nighthowler. In: 2x Duress, 2x Slaughter Games. 2x Dreadbore.

G2: I get a great aggro hand of T1 tormented hero, T2 Mutavault and tormented hero. And just start swinging. By the time he drops a Verdict he's at two life which is just fine for me to cast a grey merchant.

G3: I Thoughtseize my opponent on T3 seeing a D-Sphere and an aetherling. I have him pitch the aetherling and then slam Slaughter Games T4 naming Detention Sphere. T5 I drop a pack rat and go to town, and that is all she wrote.

R4 vs SelenyAggro: Win 2-1

G1: I swing into opponents empty board with Agent of Fates, Tormented hero, and Mutavault. Opponent flashes in Advent of the Wurm. I let it resolve, and before declare blockers I eye gouge my Agent of fates for the heroic trigger. My opponent simply says "oh, now I get your deck."

Sideboard in: Dreadbore and MIzzium Mortars. Side out: thoughtseize

G2: Opponent ramps into big Garruk, Elspeth, and Courser + Archangel of Thune. I do not have the removal to handle half of that, let alone all of that.

G3: Eye Gouge opponents mana dorks, bestow night howler and gift of orzhova onto agent of fates. Kill everything, win game.

So that won me a playmate! After that I went to the other FLGS in my city and played a slightly larger event, that was 5 rounds.

R1 vs White Weenie: Lose 0-2

Game 1: I keep a hand that has 3 lands, hero, agent, whip, gary. I lose on T14 with 3 lands in play and a hand that contains Whip and Grey Merchant x3.

Side out: Thoughtseize. Side in: Mizzium mortars

G2: I unwisely keep a 1-lander and get punished for it.

R2 vs Nobody because I got a bye: win 2-0

I drink a weird Brony themed energy drink that my local comic shop owner stocks for some reason. It tastes like pure diabetes. I would not recommend it.

R3 vs Boros Burn: win 2-0

Opponent is running main deck Skullcrack which is unpleasant for my Grey Merchants and Herald of Torment wearing a Gift of Orzhova. Luckily he swings in with mutavaults because he was not expecting me to run main board Eye Gouge. Opponent remarks "Okay he gets -1/-1 and he's a cyclops hahaha that's clever!"

Side out: 4x thoughtseize. Side in: 2x duress 2x Bile Blight.

Game two starts with me Duress-ing a Chandra out of my opponents hand, and seeing a searing blood which I spend the next few turns playing around. I end up drawing a clutch her's downfall when I need it, and just swinging away with a Grey Merchant wearing a Gift of Orzhova.

R4 vs Azorius Control: Win 2-0

My opponent plays really aggressively with his control deck. Swinging in with mutavaults, aggressively countering most of my creatures, etc etc. Game 1 I run him out of counters and verdicts and azorius charms and D-spheres and I eventually just slow-roll a grey merchant and some mutavault beats.

Side out: 3x gift of orzhova 3x nighthowler. Side in: 2x duress, 2x Slaughter Games, 2x Dreadbore, 2x Bile Blight (run 62 cards whatever)

In this game My opponent hits his elixir, and starts chaining Jace's to dig for whatever he wants. He casts ALL of the revelations, but makes one key mistake. he casts an aetherling but only leaves one mana up for the blink. So at the end of his turn I am able to remove it with an eye gouge off of an agent of fates and a hero's downfall. Opponent board wipes in response, drops an Elspeth and +1's her so he has a pile of blockers for my board of: mutavault. Luckily opponent is tapped out and at 4 life, so I untap, activate mutavault, bestow Herald of torment onto mutavault, and go overtop for the victory. Feels good man.

R5 vs R/G monsters: since we didn't have a shot at the playmate we just intentionally drew so we'd both Top 8

We played it out anyway, and I lost in 3.

All in all: worth it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

toadee posted:

Keep practicing. I have tiny hands and I can one handed cut a sleeved EDH deck. I do some really minor sleight of hand tricks for fun and I can tell you, every single thing you want to do dexterously with a deck of cards is probably possible, it just takes way more practice than you think.

Also, all of the young players chat makes me think now is a good time for my yearly repost of the bossest kid in Magic ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qwm904bq3s

I just love the swagger, drinkin his iced tea like a boss after droppin goblin tokens.

I especially like the part where the commentators suggest that the kid might be next-levelling them.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mortimer posted:

What is it like in bizzaro land?

Here's the thing: In a multiplayer game of EDH politics is key. You don't want to be the person slapping down a commander like Augustin, you'll get ganged up on by 3 people and quickly eliminated. You want a commander that is good but doesn't send a "kill on sight" signal to every other player.

I just played a few games against a friends grand arbiter deck with my wort, boggart auntie goblin tribal deck. We went 2-2, I won G1 after jamming a T4 purphoros (1 of 3 non-goblin creatures in the deck) which is just a bonkers bananas card. Then in game 4 I made it through propaganda and sphere of safety (and one other card) paying 9 to attack each turn. But I did get the great Kiki-jiki + goblin bombardment + lightning crafter infinite combo.

What I'm saying is wort is a great deck, but you have to be careful or people will gang up on you.

Also goblin sharpshooter + basilisk collar + kormus bell + urborg, tomb of yawgmoth will earn you nothing but hatred, so you can only pull it off once.p

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I used to look at Standard as a waste of money, too, but then realized it's just a matter of reaching a critical trade mass. As long as you have all the necessary dual lands for the season, and enough of the format staple spells, you can keep up with the entire season with no additional injection of money as long as you're willing to trade. Then, just be smart about cashing out before rotation (i.e. trade your about-to-rotate-block cards for things from the non-rotating-block that will likely hold value, or sell them and then use those funds to buy singles after rotation).

It only works if you have enough value, though, otherwise you just don't have enough variety to trade with and get stuck with cards no one wants (or inevitably lose a trickle of value if you keep selling and then re-buying rather than trading for equal value). You'd also be stuck without anything to play while you're transitioning between decks.

Modern and Legacy, on the other hand, require a ton of up-front investment, but then are far easier to maintain. I'm just trying to get into Legacy, and I'm starting by getting all of the fetchlands I'll need for two different decks, then the dual lands. It seems expensive if you want to change decks frequently, which is why I'm building two that have a lot of overlap in things like lands. If you eventually have all the lands and staples like Force of Will, swapping out the cards unique to each deck is no worse than keeping up with an expensive Standard archetype (but with far less risk since they won't swing in value as much). There's also no tremendous concern that it will tank in value; even a reprint won't be awful, original printings in the old frame will hold most (if not all of) their value.

All that said, the best tool you can have is a good source of disposable income, otherwise this game can be really difficult; take it from the guy who got into it while unemployed for over a year and still managed to keep up with two formats. If you're willing to trade hard, you can make any format work for you...it's hard but it can be done.

I recently looked through my standard binder and my assembled decks and put some thought into the following questions:

1) which decks do I want to keep playing for this standard season?

2) what archetypes could I see myself wanting to play between now and rotation?

3). What cards from RTR do I see maintaining value?

4) what cards from Theros block do I want to invest in?

With these questions in mind I looked at my collection of standard decks at the time, which were:

1) mono-b
2) mono-u
3) r/g monstrous
4) rakdos humans
5) standard dredge
6) orzhov midrange
7) mono-r devotion
8) Grixis aggro (dimir aggro + madcap skills)

And I decided to dismantle all of them and start fresh, and only keep a few things, with a slightly heavier focus on cards in Theros block rather than relying on RTR block. So out of the ashes I made mono black aggro splash red, white weenie splash black (for the girlfriend), and golgari midrange (because green/black is my favourite colour combination)

So I took my domri's, my jace's, my blood barons, a couple extra Mutavaults, and a pile of other M14 and RTR block rares, and I turned them into:

- Theros block rares that I was interested in (Thoughtseize, etc)
- RTR cards that I think will hold value after rotation (abrupt decay, deathrite, and foils of each)
- a wasteland
- a badlands
- a tundra
- playsets of all the shocks

I did all the trading now so that I won't get caught in the crunch closer to rotation. This is my first time doing it because last rotation I got caught with my pants down with a pile of rares that rapidly deflated in price.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

My list is here, I think slightly out of date.
http://deckbox.org/sets/602477

Mine is pretty similar actually.

I run 24 land with 4 Mutavaults, 2x vraska in the main. I have my scooze in the side instead of main. I also have lotleth troll and Nighthowler in the main. No doom blade, no read the bones. Desecration demon is on the cut list to be replaced with herald of torment. Being able to give Polukranos or a reaper flying and +3/+3 is much better than a 6/6 for 4 mana.

Most interesting interaction so far: when playing against r/g monsters, they rip triple caryatid quickly and I drop a single caryatid on my side of the board and immediately bile blight my own caryatid to kill three of my opponents. Feels good man.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fox of Stone posted:

Alright, who bought up the wastelands from tcg? They are now hilariously at $140.

Jesus Christ. It's almost as if god doesn't want me to make legacy goblins. But I'm already 3 wasteland and a rishadan port deep, I can't stop now!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fox of Stone posted:

Trade them in for a good deck like miracles. :getin: Or force of wills really. Sell them and buy up force of wills and keep the hoarding cycle going until they reach bitcoin levels of awesome.

I already have a playset of force of will. They're in my simic infect deck along with my invigorates, berserks, brainstorms, stifles, etc :getin:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Because demand increased while supply remained constant. :eng101:

Holy gently caress my foil Thalia is worth fifty loving dollars?!?!?!?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Because when you're able to spend hundreds of dollars on a single land, a foil copy of a widely-printed card is relatively cheap to acquire. You actually see this with most legacy staples - the "foil multiplier" on something like Deathrite Shaman is much larger than the one on, say, Stormbreath Dragon.

Makes sense, and I have also been doing this with abrupt decays (trading standard staples into foil abrupt decays)

I just wasn't expecting Thalia. To be such a hot button card

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Wanna play dem Slivers. Wanna get all sliver loving crazy all day.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uggy posted:

2/1 for 1 black mana with upside, one of 12 cards spoiled.

Not attractive for aggro.

Get out of my aggro deck tormented hero.

Cut the cacklers instead. Bestow the scar hide ONTO tormented hero. That heroic trigger is relevant.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AegisP posted:

Spoil Pharika already, goddamnit.

I just hope Pharika is good. Please wizards, please!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Korak posted:

That would be a good guess. Sort of scavange-y but a new spin on it.

You may skip your draw step, if you do instead take a card out of your graveyard and put it in your hand.

Way overpowered.

Other guess:

BB1: destroy target creature
GG1: regenerate target creature

Also way overpowered

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ScarletBrother posted:

In a big tournament during Scars block-Innistrad standard, I cast a Thrun and my opponent snap Mana Leak'ed it. I said, "Mana Leak resolves. Thrun?" It's more a case of RTFC, but he was pretty tilted after that.

I was at a gpt playing golgari aggro vs American control.

Me: abrupt decay your d-sphere on your end step.
Opponent: counter flux in response
Me: okay, resolves. D-sphere hits the graveyard?
Opponent: but counter flux can't be countered! ... ... ... Oh gently caress!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kizudarake posted:

If I'm playing against a new player, I introduce myself, smile, shake hands, and when we're playing, I compliment them on good plays they make, and make sure I explain what each card I'm playing does. I always make sure to shake hands post-round. After our round is over, I ask if he wants to switch decks and play again, for fun, and to see if I can help him figure out new lines of play, as well as to let them not have to sit around bored for 20 - 35 minutes.

I also do this when I play at FNM's and I agree that it is the best thing. It's definitely something that everybody should do!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

KidDynamite posted:

The drunk dudes in the corner are always good. No idea how they make playable decks at all.

This is me, just FYI

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went to pre-release, picked blue. Got two Battlefield thaumaturge in my pool. Went 3-0-1 for 3rd place, Went u/b and had a great time. No god packs opened by anybody I saw.

My girlfriend picked black, went 2-2 and had a master of the feast, several enchantment/enchantment creatures, and that constellation giant, splashed red for all the minotaurs.

A great time, won 16 packs. No complaints, set is fun.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

The combo is you play Deceiver Exarch or Pestermite on the end of your opponent's turn, then untap and cast Splinter Twin on it. Then you tap it to make a copy, and use the copy's untap ability to untap the original... which you can then tap to make another copy...

You make an arbitrarily large number of 1/4 or 2/1 tokens with haste and attack your opponent for billions.

No need to futz around with generating infinite mana.

People being excessive with this is the reason that rakdos charm is a valid sideboard card against twin.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Did a conspiracy draft at midnight. Drafted r/w construct defender tribal. Gave zero fucks and got first. The deck was the loving nuts.

Great cards:

Basandra, battle seraph
Boldwyr Intimidator
2x cinder wall
2x doomed traveller
2x flamewright
Ignition team (cast in a game for x = 17)
Intangible virtue
2x vent sentinel
2x sentinel dispatch
Swords to plowshares
Wakestone gargoyle

I just had all the defender tokens. I was making 2 per turn and just building an army while politely asking people not to attack me.

Then in the finals, before the game started, I texted two of my three opponents with the message "this game will be a lot better as 1v1, let's eliminate the others and face eachother."

Both people believed it until I took one of my team mates out, after getting him to attack the other player opponent so that I could kill them next turn. I really went all in on conspiracy.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YoshiStomper posted:

Do you remember how long the actual drafting process took? I have this fear, because this is such a different mechanic, that the selection process is going to take forever.

the draft was really quick. We kept it to zone drafting because we didn't want any pack trains, but the whole process was fast as hell.

Boxman posted:

This is really awesome, by the way.

Veyrall posted:

Teach me your ways, sensei.

But yeah, these AARs are gonna keep rolling in and I'm gonna feel awful, because I can't go to any events locally due to work.

I just had to get into the conspiracy spirit. I recommend everybody do the same whenever possible. On the penultimate turn I leaned to one of the guys I had messaged and whispered "now is the time, take out Mason." So he swung all out at the other guy I had texted, killing most of his blockers. And in return I killed the first player who had tapped most of his attackers, and then killed the second opponent next turn. Evil mastermind all day.

I actually killed all 3 of my opponents with a bolder intimidator and a 17/17 ignition team

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So at my last conspiracy draft I got to go Lore Seeker -> pay $12 for a new phyrexia pack -> first pick KarnLiberated

Feels good man. Also now the draft has random infect cards, wooha!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

change my name posted:

A 12 dollar Phyrexia pack?

What part of that is weird?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

change my name posted:

I didn't know they were that expensive, there's still a whole stack of them for 6 each at my local corner store that's known to overcharge.

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p319941.html my FLGS and troll and toad agree on it I guess.

Either way I got super lucky and opened the single most expensive card in the set. ( http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz ) I grabbed the booster pack because I thought it would be the most fun to add to conspiracy ) and because they were out of innistrad, which I would have picked in a heartbeat)

JerryLee posted:

Invisible hand fingering your butthole, man.

Also this pretty much.

Archenteron posted:

Ended up splitting with a guy who had a 15/15 and an Altar of Dementia out (We were able to kill each other and were the only two dominating presences, so we agreed to work together. He milled out someone with a big defensive boardstate and small deck, and I rolled over the guy with no boardstate)

The only way this story could have been better would be if at the last second you betrayed him as well, and took first by force!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
If an ętherling attacks a +1'd vraska can it flicker after dealing combat damage to avoid being destroyed by the vraska +1?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

Grisly Salvage has been played in standard since it was first printed, and its seen a little modern play (in admittedly bad decks). There have been some b/g aggro and midrange decks in standard but they were never that great. The Predator Ooze deck was probably the best of them, but its was just b/g and wasn't really Golgari. Putrefy still sees a bit of play but it isn't widely played as artifacts aren't really being played.

The predator ooze aggro deck was a beast. I remember winning more than one GPT in my city with that deck...

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Well, there goes my constellation deck ...

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Veyrall posted:

It's a narrow hate card for green decks. Is it really gonna kill you that much to just not over-commit? I think Constellation, especially since it has access to Thoughtseize, is gonna be just fine with this. And, if it really bugs ya, Stain the Mind can be reliably cast by T3 or T4 without adding extra colors.

I am, however, going off the Constellation deck that I'm aware of, the BG one. I don't know if there's another variant or what have you.

Yeah you're right I'm being hyperbolic. And yeah I play the gb list, in fact I just posted it in the deck building thread!

Edit: even though it's a midrange deck I'm surprisingly undefeated against control decks with it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Alaan posted:

An even weirder deck: Moggcatcher.

Link to deck please!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Well yeah, Here There Be Dragons is a much more fun premise than Here There Not Be Dragons. Besides, a big fundamental change to the plane is the easiest way to make it feel like something's happening over the course of the block's three sets. Without that, you run the risk of getting into boring nothing-happens territory, like Return to Ravnica did with its story structure of "Here are some guilds", "Here are some other guilds", "Yup these sure are guilds".

Why would you design a set based on a plane where nothing happened?? It would be like if we had innistrad block and it culminated in:
Lilliana: "open the helvault!"
Thalia: "uh, no."
Lilliana: "ok"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

A plane where nothing changed due to things like null rods and lodestone golems would be interesting and own

Okay, I agree, this would be awesome.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Well, it's a lot easier than designing one where things happen, particularly when you're actually just building off a world you already made that was hugely popular.

"hey elspeth go kill polukranos and become the suns champion and then kill Xenagos"
"No thanks. Bye."

"Hey Phyrexia go take over mirrordin!"
"Nah, we cool"

"Hey Chandra go accidentally release the eldrazi"
"I'm okay thanks, let's leave it as it is"

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Finally found the time for an event this weekend. Pool had 2x aggressive mining and 1x crucible of fire as rares. gently caress this gay earth.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

LaTex Fetish posted:

Stifle prevents annihilator triggers, living weapon triggers, equipping equipment, enter the battlefield effects like oblivion ring's, and other cool things like that.

All for one blue mana. It's pretty strong and shouldn't be thought of only as a stone rain, although that is a strong and legitimate concern.

Does it hit storm triggers too?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Except for, you know, this part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ueErB8bms&list=UU8ZGymAvfP97qJabgqUkz4A#t=45m

He's gonna hear about that one for a long time.

I'm on my phone, describe it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Niton posted:

Really great heads-up play by Ichikawa.

Oh it's just that? I don't see why Cunningham will be hearing about that. It's not like he horribly misplayed, Ichikawa just made a sick nasty play.

• Locked thread