Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just bought a year of Marvel Unlimited.

I'm catching up on the galactic side of Marvel to get pumped up for Guardians of the Galaxy. I read Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet, the latter was great. Is Infinty Wars any good, or should I move on to Thanos (12 issue series)and then Annihilation?

Are there any other great arcs or big stories in general like Infinity Gauntlet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I got Marvel Unlimited recently, and I've been using this thread, the older thread, and various best-of list I googled to build up a library of stuff to read. Nonetheless, the sheer amount of comics can be overwhelming. I'm still trying to find the best arcs of the most popular characters, but I'm also trying to spread out on lesser-known characters as well.

Today in my googling, I came across this amazing web page that breaks down a lot of famous arcs and where to find them on Unlimited. It also mentions specific issues as well, so that's an option.

The same website has another page that breaks down major events in Marvel's history, from before Avengers Disassembled to Infinity, also Unlimited friendly.

I dunno if you want to put these links on the first page of the thread, but I they've helped me a LOT.

Also, if anyone's interested in reading through Annihilation, the Thanos 12-issue series (2003) by Starlin and then Giffen isn't that good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Use the original reader they offer. The beta is still very buggy and its smart panels option is poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions lately, and I was wondering if any of the Spider-Man 2099 runs were good and if Spider-Man Noir is any good?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this came up in the old thread, but I'll re-ask it just in case.

I've never had an interest in DC characters as a whole. After playing through Injustice, that's changed. Are there any good DC Universe stories that I would like that includes a large cast of heroes and villians like Injustice?

Also, what's are some good Flash arcs and Aquaman arcs?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just finished Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and the recommendations held strong: it's the best comic series I've ever read.

Now I'm hungry for more. I have a few different new recommendations I'm looking for. I mainly read through Marvel Unlimited, so if I can read it through that, I'm happy,

First, I loved the dynamics of the team. They didn't really get along, but by the end, there's at least a mutual respect for each other and appreciation for how they've grown. What's another good series based around a team?

Second, what else by Remender is worth reading?

Third, Fantomex is the poo poo. I want to read everything with Fantomex. Where should I go?

I've never really read any of the X-books until this. Are there any other good X-series I should read now?

I know this is a lot, but hot drat, the series leaves you wanting so much more.

Thanks for any help!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seymour Butts posted:

Could I read all of these on Marvel Ultimate? $10/month seems like an awesome deal and I don't think I mind reading comics on my computer. I have a pretty crappy netbook, so it would have to be compatible with Chrome.

I've posted it before, but it's a good resource. I used this as a guide when I first started using Marvel Unlimited: Best Comics on Marvel Digital Unlimited.

It really is best on an iPad, but if you want to use a computer, make sure you use the original reader, not the beta. The formatting they use for the new Beta reader made some comics unreadable. The original reader is much more lenient and allows you to move the image around.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Everyone talks about how great Cyclops is, but he's only been a jerk in the runs I've read. What are some good story arcs that show off why people like him? I have Marvel Unlimited, and I haven't read much of the X-Men.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jason Aaron's Doctor Strange is fantastic and a must-read.
New Avengers and Uncanny Inhumans are way better than I was expecting, especially since I'm not familiar with the characters as well.
Amazing Spider-Man is good if you like what Dan Slott is doing.
Ant-Man is going for the same tone as the movie.
Uncanny Avengers and Howling Agents of Shield have a lot of potential, but haven't impressed me.

I'm just now getting back into comics. I usually stick to Marvel Unlimited, so I'm trying out a little bit of everything with this ANAD Marvel

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from the eBooks thread:

:siren:GOOD NEWS FOR FANS OF DOCTOR STRANGE, SORCERER SUPREME! SALE FOR KINDLE AND COMIXOLOGY!:siren:

Doctor Strange Vol. 1: The Way of the Weird by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo is $2.99 (Kindle & Comixology)

It is everything that a Doctor Strange comic should be: great art design & colors, tight writing, dimension-ending dangers, crazy monsters, dark and funny. Jason Aaron is one of the greatest writers in the comic industry, and his love for the great Doctor shows on every page. Collects issues #1-5.

quote:

Only Doctor Strange can protect our world from the darkness beyond — now, witness the full toll that constant struggle takes on Earth's Sorcerer Supreme! Every spell cast comes at a cost, but what happens when Strange falls behind on his tab? Find out as the good doctor wakes up somewhere very odd, nearly naked — with no spell books, no weapons and no memory of how he got there...or why all the monsters are chasing him! And as a new visitor to Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum learns one wrong door can lead to oblivion, a magic circle of Strange's friends and allies are about to face their greatest threat. Dark forces are destroying everything mystical in the multiverse, and their sights are set on this dimension. Magic's days are numbered, and Doctor Strange is not ready!

Doctor Strange: The Oath by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin for $3

One of the greatest Doctor Strange stories penned by another comic book big, Brian K. Vaughan (of Saga, Y the Last Man, and now Paper Girls). If you've never read Doctor Strange and want to read a self-contained classic, here you go!

quote:

Collects Doctor Strange: The Oath #1-5. Doctor Stephen Strange embarks on the most important paranormal investigation of his career, as he sets out to solve an attempted murder - his own! And with his most trusted friend also at death's door, Strange turns to an unexpected corner of the Marvel Universe to recruit a new ally.

Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment by Roger Stern, Gerry Conway, Bill Mantlo & illustrated by Mike Mignola, Kevin Nowlan, and Gene Colan for $3.99

That's right: Doctor Strange illustrated by Mike Mignola. It's not an easy trade to find traditionally, it's too adult for Marvel Unlimited, and now it's insanely cheap. You're welcome!

quote:

Every year on Midsummer's Eve, Victor von Doom clashes with the forces of evil in a vain attempt to free his mother's soul from Hell. Only when Doctor Stephen Strange -- Master of the Mystic Arts and Earth's Sorcerer Supreme -- is convinced to join the fight, does the outcome have any hope of changing. But first these unlikely allies must journey to Mephisto's infernal realm ... where they find that the cost of one soul may be more than they are willing to pay!

Doctor Strange: Into The Dark Dimension by Roger Stern for $3.99

Collects Doctor Strange #68-74 from the 1974-87 run, a well-known run for the character, some consider the 70's "Peak Strange"

quote:

Doctor Strange, the master of the mystic arts, starts his day by curing a mystically cursed sword and ends it by overthrowing a dimensional dictator! The Sorcerer Supreme faces threats on cruise ships, military bases and alien planets, seeking to restore the cosmic balance! And as the origins of the Dark Dimension stand revealed, Strange's true love, Clea, heads the rebellion against her evil mother, Umar! Featuring the Black Knight and the Beyonder!

Doctor Strange: Marvel Masterworks Vol. 1 for $2.99

Collects stories from Strange Tales #110-111, 114-141 & Amazing Spider-Man Annual (1964) #2. Pretty much where it all begins, people!

quote:

Stephen Strange is Doctor Strange. But he is no doctor, at least not that kind that would initially come to mind. He is the Master of the Mystic Arts, a sorcerer supreme, a white knight who wields black magic against blacker villains still. Strange is mankind's only hope against the dark other-worldly forces that conspire to destroy the conscious world. Catch the beginning of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's amazing run

Doctor Strange vs. Dracula: The Montesi Formula for $3.99

quote:

It's the Sorcerer Supreme against the Emperor of the Undead! Dracula wants Earth to fall under the spell of the Darkhold, but Doctor Strange has joined Blade and the Nightstalkers in a quest to vanquish all vampires! See the origins of vampirism itself unveiled! Guest-starring the Avengers' Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 3, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Fwiw Marvel Unlimited did add Triumph and Torment recently, though it was missing for a long time

Someone mentioned this in the other thread as well. Turns out they added it in June, and I dropped my account in May.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I'm kind of thinking ahead toward Xmas and am a little stuck on one cousin. What would someone recommend to a huge Walking Dead TV show fan that's not just the Walking Dead comics? I'd feel weird getting her something that is basically the same story, but without her teenage crush, Daryl.

Afterlife with Archie is supposed to be really good, even if you've never read Archie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shitshow posted:

I don't think anyone has recommended Locke & Key yet, and it's probably right in her wheelhouse. Survival horror with teen protagonists, and there are several great editions in both hardback and soft.

I'd read the first two issues first and see if it's appropriate. The book gets fantastical and magical, but starts off incredibly violent, with sexual assault and stuff.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you experienced The Walking Dead?

No, I think it's boring. I gave up after the third trade, never read any rape.

Whereas Locke & Key has a rape on page 2 in issue 1. Also a murderer travels across country giving blowjobs to truckers before killing them. Locke & Key is a great coming-of-age story, it just raises the stakes incredibly high in the first issues to explore trauma.

Not trying to brag about which one's more hosed up, I'm trying to be considerate so the dude's not a creepy uncle. It's not like mentioned her age other than "teenager".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Is that "creepy uncle"? I just don't like giving more details than I need to about people I know. She's seventeen. I do guess what's appropriate for thirteen is vastly different from what's appropriate for seventeen. I had given her sister my old copies of Sandman when she was around that age, and there's some messed up issues in that first volume.

No, I meant "creepy uncle" as in, I didn't want you giving your niece a book with questionable content just because a goon didn't mention it, not because you didn't list age.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I was really liking the suggestion, but this is going to make it a hard no. (we just buried their mother sadface)

Maybe Y: The Last Man?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah the old Man Logan comic is like Hawkeye and Wolverine take a road trip through the post-apocalyptic Marvel Universe, and pretty much every big Marvel character guest stars. Fox don't have the rights to any of that poo poo except the FF, which is toxic right now, so it's probably not going to be very similar at all.

Don't forget inbred Hulk peoples with hovercrafts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having read everything from the Cosmic Marvel Reading Guide from 2004-2011, were any of the Guardians of the Galaxy team books or character spin-off books from 2014 to present any good?

I know Kitty Pride took over the team and Thing got involved and Star-Lord did his solo stuff, but never read any of it. Are any of them good?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

joehonkie posted:

So on a whim, and because it was on sale, I grabbed a collection of Dark Horse's current take on Creepy and it was terrific. Are there any other current horror comics anthology type things worth reading?

I like IDW's Haunted Horror, which collects real pre-code horror comics and reprint them beautifully. They are very weird, absurd and ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

How's the Invader Zim comic?

Pretty good.