Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
G.I. Joe v1 #13

Stalker schools his fellow Joes about crocodiles while schooling a crocodile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
G.I. Joe v1 #15

Snake Eyes and Kwinn (the Eskimo) are forced to rely on Dr. Venom the Cobra scientist to pilot them across the Gulf of Mexico in a commandeered WW2-vintage bomber to escape from a Central American banana republic. Dr. Venom manages to pitch them both from the bomb bay, which results in Kwinn hanging on for dear life by his fingertips while Snake Eyes is clinging to his leg.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
G.I. Joe Vol. 1 #19

The Eskimo mercenary Kwinn has cut his ties with Cobra and been tracking down Dr. Venom, who has tried to kill him several times now. Unfortunately, after locating Venom, Kwinn and Snake Eyes are defeated and locked into experimental Cobra armored suits which override their conscious will.

Venom explains that the weapon systems have a failsafe preventing them from firing on anything painted Cobra blue. Snake Eyes strains to break free through sheer force of will.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The mad dentist doesn't show up until a number of issues later, though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Top 10 is so good. I could post almost every page here.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

qntm posted:

Oh I get it, he leaves him dead in a pool.

And then wades away?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Black Panther #6

Klaw has invaded Wakanda with a force of mercenaries and taken T'challa's mother hostage while the Panther was distracted elsewhere. He calls up the Black Panther and orders him to kill himself or else his mother will die, but T'challa does not negotiate with terrorists.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The probably-best issue of the Injustice comic expressed the sentiment of Injustice being "wrong" better than the game ever did, for me.

I'm sure I would be quickly probated for hitting the BSS movie thread and replying to every mention of MoS and BvS with this image, but it would probably be worth it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm reading Sinister's dialogue in the voice of Broken Matt Hardy and it fits perfectly.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Until an entire island populated with non-mutants are incinerated or ordinary people are put in concentration camps mutants are more at risk than any other Marvel character.

Well, there was that one time when half the entire world was killed.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alacron posted:

It's one of those weird things with manga overly literal translators

Just imagine if every American comic you read had "KABOOOOOMMMMM" replaced with "sfx: explosion" or "SCREEEEEEEEEE" with "sfx: tires squealing".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ecavalli posted:

Smash and smack are established onomatopoeia. Lean is not. What sound even is that?

It's a bad translation. If you look back at the pages that started this discussion, they use "sfx: lean" in two different panels for two completely different sound effects.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

So far the only people who've been able to resist Killgrave without using tricks are villains. Cap is just as vulnerable as anyone, though he did very obviously try to trick Purple Man into giving him his free will back a couple times while working for him.

Luke Cage notably overpowered and beat the crap out of him during the breakout on the Raft that led to the formation of the New Avengers.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

Projectra vs Nemesis Kid (Legion of Super-Heroes, at some point in the mid-80s).

Are there any badass panels here...?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

even reading this before it still broke my brain seeing a manga page and trying to read the other way

Suddenly everyone's left-handed.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda like the idea that Matt Murdock did for a bit and have Spider-Man and Iron First wear your costume while you have an alibi to throw people off. I assume they do that occasionally in universe just throw people off.

Superman and Batman have been doing this for each other since probably the 50's. Robin and Alfred have also filled in at various times.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Crime works the same way.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

To be fair to the sub, that was when Magneto had a doomsday weapon and was threatening to destroy any country that didn't make him king.

In summation, Magneto is a land of contrasts.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
For real though, that particular issue (Uncanny X-Men #150) is one of my all-time favorites. It starts the transformation of Magneto from stereotypical cackling megalomaniac to an actual character with a personality and motivations. He almost kills Kitty Pryde, and that moment where he realizes "Oh my God, I'm trying to kill a 14 year old girl. What the hell am I doing?" is the first step on the path to reconciliation with Xavier and custodianship of Xavier's school and the New Mutants.

Before all that though, after Magneto delivers his ultimatum, the X-Men naturally sortie a team to take care of him, only to find out to their surprise that Mags has covered his island with a device that disables all mutant powers other than his own. Rather than give up, Cyclops is like "Well, Wolverine still has his claws, Kitty is a computer whiz, Storm can handle locks and alarm systems, Nightcrawler is super acrobatic, Colossus is still really strong in his human form, and I've been studying small unit combat tactics for my entire adult life. I think I can work with this."

As much as people poo poo on Chris Claremont for his writing, when he was on, he was on.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gologle posted:

Think about how much power it would take to send that entire train flying up into the air like that.

Why, one would have to be more powerful than a locomotive!