Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Curious what Captain America storyline this was.

The first issue, where he punched out Hitler. It was pre-America's entry to WWII, and some Nazi sympathizers really didn't like the whole "Hitler gets punched in the face by a guy in red, white, and blue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coconono posted:

The Embedded tie ins were awesome tho.

Wasn't that the series that ended with Cap being proved wrong because he never used myspace?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cabbit posted:

Every now and then somebody remembers that Iceman is, on paper, one of the scariest motherfuckers on the planet and I love it every time.

He's theoretically like a thermodynamic version of Magneto but that only gets explored rarely. Has he had any good what-ifs where they just go nuts with his powers?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mikl posted:

Please ignore this post, I'm just making it so I can click the small button to see all my posts itt so I can find a post I made a while back. Pardon the mess.

The awful app for iOS added a “your posts” thing in the hamburger menu, it rules so hard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno, it's probably just a matter of personal taste, but "bad guys won" AUs are a dime a dozen and much prefer stuff like the cyberpunk nightmare of AOA or any number of Dooms "I won but I'm bored now" setups than the Mad Max pastiche stuff in the Old Man Logan setting, and that's before you get into inbred Hulks hillbillies

AoA is my favorite comics alternate universe. Yeah, it was kind of grimdark but the alternate paths the characters took were all interesting and none of them felt really out of place for them. I should go back and reread all that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't they ruin that universe by trying to bring it back and killing like 3/4 of the cast and depowering the others.

Probably. I learned to never read sequels to AU stuff a long time ago.

And yeah, AOA= age of apocalypse.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

That's fair, but the one rebuttal I'd offer is that a whole bunch of other dystopias are dominated/ruled by one big villain, like Apocalypse. OML has no central villain; in the original story it's Red Skull but it's made clear that the world has been carved up into new countries/states by the bad guys and even within those areas a lot of minor villains have their own little fiefdoms. But to each their own, AOA is very cool.

AOA had that too if I’m remembering right. Didn’t each of the four horsemen have their own districts that they basically ran as they pleased, even if they ultimately answered to apocalypse?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CzarChasm posted:

Just looked it up and all of those horsemen helped A-pok rule North America. I mean, presumably they split it into quadrants.

I could have sworn there was a mention somewhere in there of Holocaust running the northeastern part of North America.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Angry Salami posted:

One of the things I appreciated about AoA was that it was dystopian, but it wasn't completely doomed. Magneto's X-Men were winning small victories here and there, there were mentions that they'd taken down previous Horsemen, the human resistance in Europe was keeping Apocalypse at bay. It felt like a universe where things were going badly, but there was still some hope, and that made it have more impact. Stuff like Old Man Logan is a lot harder to take seriously because it's just 'everything that could go wrong does go wrong' and it feels cartoonishly over-the-top.

(I also have a lot of affection for it because one of my first comics was an AoA tie-in, part of a random bundle of issues I was given, so for a few years I just assumed X-Men was always a post-apocalyptic story...)

I also appreciated that a bunch of the villainous characters would find some of the more insane parts of Apocalypse’s rule and be like “fuuuuuck that, I’m out”. Even if they didn’t bail, having them be super uncomfortable with it made it feel less over the top than OML did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

I'll accept that Rhino can run at the speed of a rhino, which maxes out around 31 mph.

F = ma

So, to stop Rhino (let's say it takes 1 second to drop him from 31 mph to 0 for simplicity's sake), Matt needs to generate 322 kg * -14 m/s^2 = -4508 N, which is to say 4508 N or a bit over 1000 lbs-force in the opposite direction of movement.

I think. I haven't actually done physics in a long time, and I never took a dynamics class.

You don’t need to exert force to completely stop him, he’s torquing him at the neck to topple him over. Then he’ll skid to a stop. If you clothesline someone that’s running you aren’t slapping them with an equal and opposite force.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there actually a page of a random paramedic casually handing Mjolnir over to Thor or is that a myth?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Did you try googling it? It's the first hit. https://www.cbr.com/thor-paramedic-mjolnir/

And it says “false” right away in the article.

I’d be down for a good Captain America panel or something though. Just want something inspiring. loving A I’m tired.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How Wonderful! posted:

If anybody wants a fresh av but doesn't want to give $$$ to Lowtax, you can show me a receipt or some other documentation of a new donation to RAINN or another anti-domestic abuse organization and I'll queue it up for you.

Yes please, as long as you can keep the lyrics/gang tags.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How Wonderful! posted:

On it, sorry, I took a mega long nap today.

I meant to thank you for this but was busy and blanked.I love it! I wanted to replace my avatar on account of the prominent cop in it possibly making people uncomfortable/giving the wrong impression and this is perfect.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Red Bones posted:

Kitty can speak fluent Russian because (iirc) Xavier instantaneously psychics the language into her brain when young, pre-demon-abduction Illyana is living at the mansion. He does it so that Kitty can look after Illyana, because she's just a little kid who can only speak Russian at the time.

I'm not sure if Xavier ever does that again? Being able to instantly, permanently teach someone a foreign language would be insanely useful.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to psychic English into Illyana’s brain so she can talk to everyone there?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s just a prelude to the next DC/Marvel Amalgam thing, it’ll turn out they’ve all been taking lessons from Wolverine on being everywhere, every single goddamn place, at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Dyne posted:

"You want someone who can beat Captain America? That man does not exist. Except for that sniper in Civil War. And Iron Man. And Wolverine. Taskmaster? Has Taskmaster beat him before?

Hang on, someone pull up Wikipedia."

Didn’t he just say “gently caress it” against Iron Man, in one of the most bullshit endings to a comics event ever? Assuming you’re talking about Civil War, at least.