Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So he pulled a Dan McNinja?

It’s kinda the opposite. This time he’s lighting himself on fire to catch somebody, not to keep himself from being caught (by ninjas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Question IRL posted:

That is cool.

But surely from a physics standpoint, Zoro is going to be fine. Without someone holding the blade in place, it's more likely to bounce off his arm than cut straight through it?

I feel like dropping a knife onto someone would end up with them getting cut

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mashle is usually a comedy but it’s had some cool fights recently. Read right to left

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike posted:

_____________________________________UBER DRIVER SUCKED ME OFF!?
_____________________________________________________________\

Unfortunately not even the worst Peter Parker face of recent memory

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CzarChasm posted:

So can those soldiers understand her or not? Sword guy speaks English at the end, but everyone else is speaking <>. Can't blame them for not surrendering if they don't know that's what you are offering.

Everybody speaks the universal language, American English

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

How Wonderful! posted:

That's a pretty nicely choreographed fight scene but I can't find out much about the manga, what's the premise? Is it worth checking out?

I think it’s basically that the lady loves to punch dudes and goes around finding dudes worth punching.

It’s making some waves in ADTRW but it’s only got around twelve chapters so far so I’d recommend sitting on it for a while. Scanlators have an unfortunate habit of dropping projects out of the blue and not saying if it’s because of the series being cancelled, on hiatus, or because the scanlator group has fallen apart, so you never know if the the promising new manga you’re reading will suddenly just stop updating

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

John Dyne posted:

"You want someone who can beat Captain America? That man does not exist. Except for that sniper in Civil War. And Iron Man. And Wolverine. Taskmaster? Has Taskmaster beat him before?

Hang on, someone pull up Wikipedia."

“Maybe the Hulk? Can we hire the Hulk?”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kaiju No. 8

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Isekai is probably the trashiest anime/manga gets. It’s pure unfiltered power fantasy made almost exclusively for incels.

There’s some good isekai, but they’re largely part of the “villainess” sub genre, where the mc wakes up as the villain of a fantasy otome game and makes the plot go off the rails

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

wdarkk posted:

That's only in terms of recent isekai, there were some decent ones in the past when the genre was more for women, like Inuyasha and Rayearth.

I’m pretty familiar with “(popular older series) is actually an isekai!” takes, and hey, one of my favorite franchises is Digimon which is often technically an isekai, but there’s a very big difference between the stuff like Inuyasha and Fushigi Yugi and stuff like Mushoku Tensei or The Time I Was Reincarnated As A Slime. There’s a whole infrastructure of web novel->light novel->manga->anime for stuff like that and it has its own tropes, audience, and inspirations that make it its own thing.

Flesh Forge posted:

getting pretty Inside Baseball in here.

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #1: It has been a good day for M.O.D.O.K.

Who’s the lady Thor here?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Bota Bota is a nsfw manga by the creator of Beastars about a woman who gets massive nosebleeds every time she touches something she considers filthy. Despite this, she keeps trying to sleep with random men, with disastrous results. Here, her actions have caused her to become infamous in town

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FMguru posted:

And a total Mary Sue, to boot.

Nah, Gilgamesh was in many ways defined by his failures. His failures to be a good king, his failure to keep his friend alive, his failure to find immortality, etc.

Now, Lancelot, Lancelot’s a goddamn Mary Sue. Hate that French rear end in a top hat

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elissimpark posted:

I agree, but its like if the history of Western literature decided Titus Andronicus was the premier Shakespeare play rather than say, Hamlet.

(Nothing against Titus Andronicus - I like me a pie-based revenge story.)

Not really? Manga is nerd poo poo, in the same way that comics are nerd poo poo in the West. It’s not like Japan or other parts of Asia don’t have their own rich literary traditions.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Infinitum posted:

*remakes Journey to the West, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms for the trillionth time*

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NIV) “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I typically see Galahad as an extension of Lancelot’s problems, tbh

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elissimpark posted:

Yes, they do and the bizarreness of manga and anime are less surprising in light of the rich Japanese literary traditions of bunraku/kabuki which can get pretty bizarre.

I don’t know if traditional Japanese stories/storytelling are any more bizarre than traditional stories anywhere else, it’s just we don’t have the cultural context/familiarity for it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

King Arthur for sure died either on his way to Avalon or on his way back, because there's no way things haven't gotten bad enough in the world for him to return by now. <:mad:>

He’s only focused on Britain.

Do you think he’d support Brexit?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kaiju No. 8 is a fun but typical manga about a dude who can become a monster to fight other monsters

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Random Stranger posted:

I had heard enough good things to be intrigued, but if they're hitting the manga pacing problem that early it's not a good sign.

Even the television show is excellent. Get Monster in any form because it's excellent. It's kind of weird that a Japan book dives so deeply in German re-unification, though.

The pacing isn’t bad in a way that shows the manga is in trouble, it just takes 16 pages to tell what it could in 12

Manga has a great deal of breadth which means you can find works that go real hard into weird niche subjects. It rules, even if you have to wade through one million isekais to get there

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

Wet rear end Speedster

you're thinking of the Whizzer

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

goatface posted:

It can always be undone. Could probably get an event out of it if you wanted. Another "rights of Banner against rights of everyone else on the planet" argument before you pull the trigger on a reality manipulator while Uatu stands in the background face palming.

This sentiment is probably the biggest problem I have with Big 2 comics

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Arthur’s looking a bit rough. He’s definitely seen better days

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My biggest problem with Injustice is how it characterizes Wonder Woman. She’s just awful in those games

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
After how terrible Beastars got I’m going to need a lot of reassurance before I read anything else by her. I read Bota Bota but that also had the Beastars problem of being good for about half of its run before taking a nosedive

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nilbop posted:

What is stepping out of line for a KGB assassin?

Hurting Wally’s friend

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been posting it in different places but hey why not here too. I bought the book in physical so I don’t have amazing pictures but this sequence was great

Witches, by Daisuke Igarashi

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TwoPair posted:

So is there a twist later where the old woman was actually a more powerful witch or is she just the most devoted to the bit poo poo-talker in the world?

she’s proven to be right in the end, but that doesn’t bring her back or anything. She died as she lived: poo poo talking

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Golden Kamuy

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So is mortality real on Mars?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

I still hold a grudge for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. "Kids don't like serialized storytelling." Well, maybe not when you do it, but they were fine with it up until you came on the show.

What a ridiculous thing to say! Serialized storytelling blows kids minds. They love that stuff

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

There's kind of a very telling scene in the last X-Factor series where Lorna straight up asks Magneto himself "What would you say my defining attribute is that doesn't relate to you" and Magneto's all "...uh."

Green hair, dated Havoc. C’mon Magneto it’s right there!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Didn’t it accept Cyclops’s argument that the only person who could judge him was his wife? I don’t think that particular argument holds up

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think a Celestial built largely by Tony Stark and Mister Sinister might in fact be a little bit weak to the "I don't give a poo poo what you think of me, I'm awesome and all the people I actually care about also say I'm awesome" argument

poo poo, that's like 1/3rd of all Tony Stark stories right there, of course it works of Cyclops uses the same argument

You make a good point

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

MasterBuilder posted:

I hope is going to the hospital because it looks like his hip is fractured.

He’s just doing one of them Spider-poses

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I know I shouldn’t care about realism but Ironheart’s pose seems not very doable if her only propulsion is from her feet.

Extremely cute cover, I just have brainworms

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really don’t like when they make regular Hulk smart. It just feels like too much of a violation of his core premise.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Green Hulk is best, imo, when he’s basically Banner’s repressed inner child that never got to grow up. He throws tantrums and gets mad but also mostly just wants to be left alone and sulk by himself. Also he likes animals and wants to be their friend.

Like, half of the Hulk’s problems is the world responding poorly to his existence. If they could leave him alone he wouldn’t be much of an issue. Having Hulk become smart and arrogant and inevitably a villain breaks what I find appealing about him

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 18, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

All-Rounder Meguru

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Optimus suplexing Starscream is not something I knew I needed in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The problem about trying to sell J’onn as more powerful than Superman is that we all know that if they were going to fight, Superman would win because Superman is much, much more popular and important