Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

1- Axis was last year.

2- Same person writing it. He already wrapped up a lot of those stories.

3- Ongoing until it's not.

4- All of that is still going on and leads directly in Secret Wars

5- I dunno I stopped reading it because it was crappy.

6- One issue left. Jeff Lemire and Ramon Perez have already started a new volume because Aja is taking so long to do the last issues. It's great.

7- Secret Wars. There's a thread on it. You'll find what you need to know there.

Thank you because I felt like I was the only person who disliked Young Avengers in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Gotham City is explicitly in New Jersey in most continuities I thought.

Yeah, that's generally where it's agreed upon, but just like Metropolis and the others, writers really go out of their way to never mention a specific state and keep it as vague as possible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A+X was so good and I still don't know why it was canceled. Well, I know why, but I am still very disappointed.

Also it gave us the greatest comic book weapon in years, Deadpool's Hulk-hand arrows packed with explosives.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure Magneto's powers are still wonky. His power levels are still a lot lower than they used to be at least.

Yeah, Mags is shooting up MGH whenever he needs to go all superpowered. Although somebody in Magneto's book did hint that his power problem was all psychosomatic and nothing to do with the Phoenix at all.

Strangely even though the Dark Beast reveal was pretty stupid, the only one whose powers really got fixed immediately was Cyclops. Emma Frost's telepathy didn't come back, even though later she suddenly busted out "Oh my telepathy's been back for a while I just didn't say". Colossus got his powers fixed by taking the Namor route of going on to be in a book where the writers really didn't care about that whole wonky power business.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, did Namor just turn up in Avengers or Invaders and was all "Yup, got my powers again."?

No, he just never lost them. He also never hung out with the other X-Men again after AvX/after Hickman started writing New Avengers, so he never had to awkwardly hang around and be like "God, Summers, what's wrong with your eyes?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Cable and Forge I believe made a suit for Colossus that fixed his powers in Cable and X-Force. I miss that series, it was so much better than Spurrier's X-Force. :(

I'm pretty sure Forge's suit was supposed to just be a temporary measure. Colossus' powers really got fixed when he just showed up in Amazing X-Men and no one questioned how he got them back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

Speaking of getting better overnight, wasn't Forge bugfuck loco the last time he appeared?

He got better in issue 1 of Cable and X-Force in a pretty neat sequence where he literally "fixed" his brain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Say what you want, it's payed off (the one time he used it). Popped a cap in Sinestro when the ring wouldn't work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Oh, hi U.S. War Machine 2.0!

I didn't know Xavier Renegade Angel had a crossover episode with Iron Man!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I'm surprised anyone has an opinion on Tekken characters

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just read the Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man comics. I think there's like 3 issues. The only thing involving Miles in the main series is that he goes through a portal to 616 (the one from Spider-Men) with Ultimate Reed to infiltrate the Baxter Building and get info on Galactus, they see Valeria and run from a swarm of HERBIES. That's it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Are we talking about Avengers 200 again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYGWF6qrts

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Batman and Robin is still the most thematically interesting bat movie and probably the only one really deserving multiple viewing.

I would not say thematically interesting, but it is certainly good for multiple viewings.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Has "Namor possesses all fish powers" been a thing in... any comic since the 60s? I mean, I don't expect to see Namor puff up in Secret Wars, but it just seems like something that'd come up now and then when nowadays his powers boil down to "strong flying guy, also breathes water".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

I was really into comics back in the Chromium age, and I loved a bunch of lovely capes.

What are Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, Madcap and Slapstick up to nowadays?

Madcap was last seen in a Deadpool Annual as the excuse for all the text boxes in Deadpool's head while Daniel Way was writing poorly. The explanation was that he and Deadpool both got fried to a pile of Looney Tune-esque ashes by Thor and healed together into one body. Deadpool then got a couple of heroes to literally rip him in half, and one healed into a new Madcap.

Sleepwalker showed up recently at the end of James Robinson's Fantastic Four. The guy who becomes him had been intentionally not sleeping or something to avoid being Sleepwalker (I'm not familiar with the character). Anyway he got called in to help the FF because a villain had somehow gotten the Psycho-Man into Franklin Richards' dreams and gotten Franklin to unconsciously summon hosed-up poo poo/evil Heroes Reborn versions of characters to attack people. Sleepwalker (with help from Susan Richards and Namor) saved the day.

Darkhawk was in Avengers Arena and didn't die! Good for him.

And like Lurdiak said, pretty sure Slapstick's last seen location was clocking a guy over the head in the Initiative.

edit: Scratch that, Slapstick showed up in some Fear Itself mini.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 9, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep this is from Fantastic Four 57

The gypsy thing was most likely in Annual 2.

I love this picture because it looks like Doom's rolling his eyes, like "Christ even I don't believe this poo poo"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

What a beautiful abomination.

I wish this costume was DLC for the Arkham games

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

Now I want a thread that photoshops Batman into this costume in all his iconic moments.

If I had the slightest inkling of artistic talent I'd love to draw that Bat-costume into the Year One scene where Bats breaks into the mobster dinner.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Why would the JLA need two speedsters at that point?

Power redundancy has never stopped the JLA from keeping multiple characters around whose powerset boils down to "flies, super strength"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Didn't the X-Men cartoon pull a Batman The Animated Series and end up introducing a pretty popular character into the mythos or am I totally wrong?

I think you're thinking of X-men Evolution which introduced X-23.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought Original Sin was pretty good, as event books go. Had some pretty great tie-ins while telling a neat little story. Kind of didn't stick the landing but eh. The only real status quo changing thing it did was make Thor unworthy and put Bucky in space in a series nobody read, so it wasn't too consequential in the long run either instead of trying to be some WORLD-SHATTERING EVENT

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I'm not completely caught up, but isn't Silver Surfer already "Doctor Who in the Marvel universe"?

There can be two Doctors! Why shouldn't there?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Thors pissed me off because it was three issues of an awesome unconnected murder mystery with the Thors as beat cops using the setting to great effect and a fourth issue of "gently caress all that poo poo, Jane Thor showed up so now it's about rebelling against Doom". I WAS ENJOYING THE POLICE PROCEDURAL GODDAMMIT HOW ABOUT YOU GIVE RUNE THOR A MOTIVE AND EXPLAIN HOW LOKI KNEW WHAT THE gently caress AND ALSO MAYBE UNWORTHY THOR GETS HIS HAMMER BACK OR SOME SORT OF CLOSURE WHAT THE gently caress

Ultimate End had the same problem (among its many other problems too), a story ticking along and then Miles shows up, so gently caress all that stuff we were just telling you about, right?

Rune Thor did have a motive, he explained it. When he looked into (a) Jane's eyes, he realized that Battleworld wasn't real, but he liked the way things were, so he realized he had to cover it up and prevent any other Thors from realizing the world's true nature by killing all Jane Fosters. Now as for Loki... yeah that was kind of a bad unexplained plot point. Maybe he could see the world was fake just by nature of being Loki?

And this is all not to disagree with you. I too, dislike how a lot of the SW tie-ins seem to end on "WELP, THAT'S ALL FOLKS, SEE YOU IN THE MAIN BOOK AND/OR OUR NEW SPINOFF!" The real ones that suffer seem to be the ones where the raft survivors appear, which at first I thought would be a super-neat touch to this whole event, but now more and more it seems like every tie-in that features a Life Raft survivor is destined to end disappointingly, I suppose since nothing of consequence can happen to those characters outside of the main book.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 17, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I think we can all agree that Luke Cage's energy projection is a 1 at best.

Someone should do something with that and have Luke Cage shoot a little tiny beam in the middle of a fight. Marvel please hire me for the next What The? volume.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I'm betting Mark Millar's response of "at least the sexual aspects of the violence aren't exploitative" was written before he literally "booby trapped" a minor character's vagina after impregnating her with her brother's sperm.

I think it should read "[...rape is a rare thing in comics] and that's something I'll try my best to turn around"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wally does exist, he's just a disgruntled urban youth with no speed powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah comic Iris is white and her cousin Wally is black.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Speaking of Geoforce why are there so few gravity powered superheroes? There are like a billion electricity guys, magnet guys, light guys, etc. I can think of two that are exclusively gravity, Graviton and the redundantly named Gravity. Maybe it's too hard to come up with decent names.

Probably because gravity is such a vague force to work with. The only things people can do with it are fling objects around, which a lot of other powers let people do anyway, (see: telekinesis), or pin people to the ground by making them too heavy to move. And then the character's like a one-trick pony. Also flattening people I guess but then that's why there's gravity based villains around with not many heroes in the same field...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

BTW what happened to him, last thing I remember him doing is being some sort of higher up on AIM Island.

Graviton appeared this very week in Starbrand & Nightmask #1 as a crazy hobo muttering crap to himself. Eventually he meets up with Nitro, who for some reason is also a crazy hobo, and they team up to attack the title characters. Cliffhanger ending as Nitro appears to blow up the school they're attending (spoiler alert i don't think he pulls it off since there's more issues and Squirrel Girl takes place in the same school and that book hasn't been suddenly cancelled)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

Have they ever done a story where Wolverine gets addicted to an illegal drug because he probably can't die from it and it may help him get over the massive mental pain he lives in every daaayyyyyyy?

Wolverine's awful kid Daken got hooked on some comic book super-meth that was so strong it burned out his healing factor one time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Not really a plot point but aside from one fight Hickman really dropped that thing with the army of Shang-Chis, huh? Figured they might've turned up in the final incursion somewhere.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Did they work together in Axis? I can't remember.

I want to say yes since Spider-Man wasn't flipped but Deadpool was (from being kill-happy and thus for some reason aligned with the villains in promotional material to being a pacifist) but god knows I'm not going to reread Axis to check.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is it: the best picture.

It definitely needs to be the entire OP for the next iteration of the movie thread.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Much like how Magneto is able to do any bullshit he wants by saying it relates to magnetism (insert that "my magnetic personality" panel here), his only weakness is a lack of self-confidence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly you're probably better off just reading the good Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-man.

Frankly I'd cut out Ultimate Spider-Man before the end. Just read like, Miles' first two stories and call it done. Bendis reallly started spinning his wheels towards the end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Ultimate J. Jonah Jameson is probably the best character in the entire universe.

ftfy.

No but seriously one of the (many) reasons I give Bendis so much poo poo for the last few arcs of USM is how unceremoniously he killed Jameson.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The Hulk has an arbitrary, depending on the writer and who he's fighting base strength, and he gets stronger over time. The more pissed off he is, the more he's gonna smash. Basically, Hulk has the higher top speed but Herc has better acceleration.

While I disagree about Hercules being stronger than him this is how I always understood Hulk's powers. If he's not the strongest there is in a given situation, given enough time + anger, he will be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Every single Iron Man story as far as I can tell involves his alcoholism or using past armors.

I thought Gillen's run from just last year (or two years? Man, time flies) was pretty good, and it involved no booze or past armor.

One storyarc basically had Tony do a Thor God Of Thunder story and kick a bunch of dark elves' asses.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Anti heroes and killing and such doesn't have to be grim and gritty, it's just the fault of bad writers that think the Doom comic is the greatest literary masterpiece of the century.

This sounds like a slam against the Doom comic and I can't abide that. "NOW I'M RADIOACTIVE! THAT CAN'T BE GOOD!" is dialogue on par with the work of Dickens or Melville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Joking aside, what is everyone's favorite comic book weapon/item/artifact? Cap's shield? Thor's hammer? The cosmic cube? Doom's time travel platform? The Infinity Gauntlet is a pretty obvious choice, but I'm also a big fan of the Mother Box.

3 words: Boxing. Glove. Arrows.

Sorry Hawkeye but until you develop boxing glove based technology, you remain the inferior arrow-based hero in comic books