Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Is there a Batman arc where some shady businessman establishes 24/7 daylight in Gotham? I think it might have had something to do with crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Gaz-L posted:

Are you mixing up Batman with Dr Dinosaur?

I think the idea was that all these newly-installed lights absorbed sunlight during the day and then emitted it at night to keep Gotham perpetually bright and, theoretically, lead to less crime. Dr. Dinosaur's obsession with crystals is what made me hesitant to include that detail, especially since the whole thing might be some kind of fever dream, but I'm almost entirely certain it's real.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't sound familiar but there's been at least one Donald Duck story like that. (Well, Duckburg, not Gotham.)

Go on, ...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Only if Niles is played by a Doombot programmed to act like 3-CPO.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Ultimate Spider-Man, but that and however many god damned issues it took for the Ultimate Fantastic Four to get super powers are the 2 largest (pre civil war) black marks against Bendis.

The team had their powers at the start of the second issue, though, once Reed exposed them all to the Negative Zone? They just didn't really do anything interesting with them until later. In fact, the first 20 issues or so, with a revised third act that brought everything back to Doom instead of skewing off towards Annihilus and The Mad Thinker, would actually make for a pretty decent movie.

But USM was (and still is) one of the slowest books on the market.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How is that a better option than putting out 12 issues a year with a more tightly-paced story and stronger, more deliberate art? When you can get through the first five arcs in just under two hours, your book doesn't have enough meat to it. But, just the same, I bought it, and they sold a bajillion copies on top of that, so I guess the joke's on me.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Unmature posted:

I'd like to know the ages of everyone who complains about Bendis's pacing, especially in USM. It always feels like older readers hate it and younger readers love it. The first comic I bought with my own money was USM #8 when I was 11 and I've loved his work ever since. I think USM is brilliantly paced and influenced comics in such a big way for a reason.

Ultimate Spider-Man started when I was a freshman in high school. By the time I graduated, he'd gone up against Osborn twice (once with a bridge involved because of the first movie), Kingpin twice, "just a guy", Geldoff, Venom, and was in the middle of his second Doc Ock encounter (because of the second movie). Pretty much every single one of them knew his "secret" identity, and the next three arcs after that dealt with Carnage (Venom), Hobgoblin (Osborn), and Kingpin again.

In four years of Amazing Spider-Man, he'd fought Chameleon, Vulture, Doc Ock, Sandman, Dr. Doom, The Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, The Green Goblin, Kraven, The Scorpion, Crimemaster, Molten Man, The Rhino, and Shocker, most of them on multiple occasions, plus a bunch of other people, and it all led up to Spider-Man No More! at #50.

Lurdiak posted:

I love USM, I really do, but it's torture to read it as it comes out. And when I trade-read it, I ended up skimming over so much of the admittedly awesome art because I could see that hey, nothing loving happens on this page.

:hfive:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Strangers in Paradise.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Mage v1 is good comics that everyone should read, v2 didn't resonate as strongly with me when I read it, but is still pretty fun, and v3 is a myth. It will never come out, no matter how much I want it to. Matt Wagner could hand deliver my copy to prove that it is a real thing, and I would remain skeptical.

Never got to read much Elementals, but it always looked cool.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
St. Louis, probably.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Kind of like how St. Louis, MO is adjacent to East St. Louis, Illinois?

I'd like to change my answer to a generic "Missouri".

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He got six issues of Runaways out in about a year and a half. Just in time to get a third #1.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Skwirl posted:

How was Runaways? Almost every single Secret Wars tie-in looked great and I have a finite amount of money so that one fell through the cracks

A group of students from a Doom-controlled training camp/education facility find out their "expelled" classmates are being permanently "expelled" and, ... run away.

It's a good setup for a series, but if you're specifically looking for more Chase or Nico or Gert, it'll be less satisfying than even Avengers Arena. For whatever reason, alt-universe Runaways stories tend to bring in more concepts from X-Men student books and Young Avengers than from their actual namesake.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Skwirl posted:

Miles Morales again, of course his mom dies relatively early in his comic, but that's pretty common for any character that's a minor.

And his dad infiltrated a gang for Nick Fury.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ghost Rider has the Penance Stare. That's some kind of energy, right? And there's always Chamber.

So, unless you're a demon or a filthy mutie, shoot your energy out of your hands like God intended.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If you must read Ultimate Fantastic Four, go for the first 20 issues, then stop. The last 40 are plagued with bad art, boring stories, or both, save for a brief bit of fun sandwiched somewhere in the middle where they travel back in time and fight Diablo.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Squizzle posted:

Motherfucker if you are talking about Pasqual Ferry, we are going to have a civil disagreement on a subjective matter right here, right now. :nono:

It wasn't so much the art but the inking/colors that turned everything the same muddy green.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Aztek's helmet contains his suit, all of his abilities that stem from a "fourth-dimensional power source", and the wisdom/guidance/chutzpah(?) of everyone who's ever been Aztek.

Of course, you're also the figurehead of a cult that was bought out by Lex Luthor and could be blown up and replaced at any time, but whatever. Free flight and X-ray vision while it lasts!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jay Faerber did a single mother superhero whose crime-fighting partner was her teenage daughter, though I think it was only a one-shot or a miniseries. They were supporting characters in Dynamo 5 after that.

Firebirds.

There's also Mantra, who only kind of counts because she's actually a centuries-old dude.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Squizzle posted:

What an awful typeface choice.

Hobo Regular's the new Comic Sans, dude. It's everywhere.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

KittyEmpress posted:

Scott, Jean, Kitty, Kurt, Logan, Ororo, Rogue, and Hank.

This plus Colossus and Gambit. In two teams.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

CzarChasm posted:

Finally getting around to starting comixology, it looks like they have pretty much everything. I know what I want from the big two, but I want to know about good jumping on points for a few series

TMNT
Ghostbusters

TMNT is a slow burn, but (almost) every issue counts. When you get to the Neutrino arc, just power through. It gets much, much better.

Ghostbusters is uneven, but Dan Schoening's art is never not good.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Uthor posted:

This Wikipedia article looks like a decent reading order. At least those later mini-series are self-contained, so you don't need to weave them into the main title.

There's also this, which helps a bunch if you're dead set on being a completionist.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Unless Kirkman wrote another MTU arc about 2099 I don't know about, League of Losers was about a guy traveling back in time to murder all of the heroes except for a small group of nobodies he either didn't have intel on or weren't important enough to matter. They get pulled into the future before the guy traveled back in the first place, team up with Mutant 2099, defeat the guy before he can steal a time machine, and then realize that they're stuck in 2099. It was... pretty good?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Talia" left grey in Bruce's hair because she thought it looked distinguished. Totally not for other reasons, Ra's, you pervert.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Will the wiki for Future’s End fill me in enough to read Jurgens’ Batman Beyond? I just want more Tim/Terry stories without pretending to give a poo poo about Brother Eye.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
A recent rewatch is what set me on the comics. I’ve got a big soft spot for Shriek for some reason. The Royal Flush Gang are mostly solid. A lot of the Inque stuff is good. Could have done without the lame Kraven analogue and pretty much everything to do with Bane or sports. Spellbinder is kind of a mess. Curare is... fine. But yeah, that last handful of episodes after the future JL team-up are rough.

Still not sure what to think about Epilogue. It wraps everything up too neatly and ends on a happy note that feels contradictory to who Batman is, but the way it’s all done makes total sense in universe.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TwoPair posted:

And it's heavily implied that Bruce knew this from episode 1, which is kinda hosed up. It serves no purpose other than explaining how two redheads birthed two black-haired boys and I guess providing a bookend to the DCAU because they didn't know they'd get another season of JLU.

Nah. Bruce plays coy when Terry throws their histocompatibility in his face, but he would’ve paid Waller a conclusive visit in the night if he knew she’d been tampering with his DNA and hiring The Phantasm to murder people on his behalf. The odds that he and Terry are a match are improbable but not impossible.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know the one with the Terrific Trio? Are they meant to be dead at the end?

Pretty sure the 2D guy bit it. Freon apparently shows up in one of the newer volumes.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Didn't Wonder Man start up some anti-Avengers squad or Revengers or something or was that some terrible dream I had? Might have been tied to Dark Avengers somehow? I assume he got spanked and took his ball and went home.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Doctor Strange found one, but a businessman stole it and dropped it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Anissa, the Viltrumite who rapes Mark in Invincible, eventually marries a guy from Earth and apologizes for her actions.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
After Steve Englehart got a hold of him in the early 70's, Beast was awesome. He blues himself, fights Iron Man, joins The Avengers, and ultimately ends up getting the only legitimately fun moment across the whole Avengers 200 debacle.

He's kinda cool in early Ultimate X-Men until he gets catfished by The Blob. It sucks.

Whedon's Beast from Astonishing is... not terrible from decade-old memory?

Hank Pym is in a similar situation. They'll never be THE BEST, but they can't be THE WORST, but the other things they've found to do with them, be that creating genocidal (sex)robots, experimenting with your own DNA, slapping your wife around, or abducting your and your friends' younger selves through time are maybe not the best use of their skills.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Read Aztek. It's 10 issues of fun, weird 90's comics and a dozen or so pages strewn across 40 issues of awesome JLA comics.

And Stephanie got THREE WHOLE issues, thank you very much...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Golden Bee posted:

Besides Deadpool, are there any comics characters who are parodies that got bigger than the original?

TMNT is a clear winner.

Watchmen? Not really a parody, but I'd wager the average person is more aware of Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan than The Question and Captain Atom.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Robin costume being a repurposed Flying Graysons outfit makes total sense as Dick honoring his parents, but also Haley's Circus toured all over the country performing in front of, presumably, millions of people, where his parents died wearing those outfits in a really gruesome and public way, and now there's a kid his exact age tooling around in a jet-black rocket car with a lunatic that dresses up as a bat, dressed exactly the same, not long after Dick was legally adopted by the only guy in Gotham who could potentially afford a jet-black rocket car.

It's like Bruce wanted people to know.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Madkal posted:

I'm finishing my re-read of Vaughan's run of Runaways. Are the post Vaughan Runaway comics worth checking out?

Rainbow Rowell's current run is great. Unfortunately, there are about 75 issues between her and Vaughan, including a short run by Joss Whedon, a short run by Terry Moore, a single arc by Kathryn Immonen, Avengers Arena, Avengers Undercover, Avengers AI, a handful of event-based minis and a handful of appearances in other books, the majority of which are middling to forgettable.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

site posted:

gonna go out on a limb and guess there's not a single editor at marvel who would recognize what a binder even is or what it's for

Jordan D. White is in the final days of a Sailor Moon rewatch podcast. He fuckin' better.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Enlisting terminally ill children to fight parasitic brain slugs is never going to be a great look whether you cure them first or not.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Animorphs is legit, but you have to take the poo poo with the sweet. For every story about establishing a Hork-Bajir refugee camp, there's one about how oatmeal makes Yeerks go crazy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Being a high school teacher is probably too much responsibility for someone who needs to disappear for third period because Electro is robbing a bank, which is exactly why it feels perfect. Maybe NYC Tech Community College adjunct professor who absolutely does not keep to his office hours is more attainable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ImpAtom posted:

Hanks For Nothing.