Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Uthor posted:

Robocop Terminator is the poo poo.

I know, right? Written by a pre-crazy Frank Miller and drawn by Walter By (Thunder) God Simonson it will be in your local store's dollar bin, IF you can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And all crossovers with Judge Dredd are considered canon to Mega-City One. Which isn't a huge deal - the stuff with Batman was a cross-dimensional thing and aliens like the Predator and Xenomorphs already exist in that universe. (Neither are as cool as the Klegg.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Patrick Spens posted:

Jealous carny is and will always be the best superhero/villain origin story.

And he carries that with him to know that he is in fact a dude with a bow and arrow in a silly costume.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Selachian posted:

Sejic only did two issues (and some covers) and then quit, saying he was having health problems. I think there was some fan speculation that he just wanted to focus more on his own work (Sunstone et al) because it was more profitable than half of Rat Queens. Dunno how much substance there is to that, though.

The dude does like to overwork himself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always wondered what happened to Rick's ex-wife Marlo. Probably nothing good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

She was turned into a Harpy during World War Hulks. About the time that Rick was A-Bomb.

Request permission to blame Jeph Loeb.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I get the feeling Gillen was the only one who cared about Hope; after AvX, she kinda just slowly faded into the background. Which annoys me, because "What does the messiah do *after* she's saved the world" is a great plot hook.

Hopeless did too, but nobody cares enough about her to write about her unless they have something specific in mind it seems.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't Professor X a multi-billionaire at one point? I remember that being mentioned when I was reading about New X-Men before I started reading it; after he revealed to the world that he was a mutant he personally financed the creation of the X Corporation (is that still a thing?).

For a while it was one of those 'Professor X is very rich but not much of it is liquid' because it was paying for schools and Cerebros and whatnots, but I doubt that got kept up with.

To add there's also Nighthawk, Marvel's Batman (aside from all the other Marvel's Batmans).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Hawkeye is definitely rich, but I don't think Hawkeye is. I guess he owns a tenement in New York, but his liquidity is almost nothing.

I thought Kate doesn't touch her dad's money?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

But didn't he lose all his money?

Reading her series, she sure talks about needing money a lot. While I'm still not sure re: fictional archer financial statements, I did get to read some fun comics so win.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Robert Kirkman.

Yeah. Bail out after Vaughn's run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Ah good, considering he's a mutant in X-Men 3 and Deadpool 2 I wondered if they'd retconned somewhere along the way.

Nah. He's had some troubles with Cyttorak over the years - one of which was a major story whose name escapes me - but that's where he gets his juice from.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cain's never been dumb, really. Not like the Absorbing Man or something. He catches on, it's just how tactical do you need your thinking to be when you're the Juggernaut <ancient meme>?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

prefect posted:

Sounds similar to the way Hulk handled him during World War Hulk.

That was a nice touch to reaffirm that the only thing that could have stopped Hulk being all Worldbreaker was a fully powered Juggernaut.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dillbag posted:

Historically, the smart Hulks have been good at dealing with unmovable / unstoppable objects.

Those are good, but my favorite is the Grey Gargoyle fight during Acts of Vengeance. It starts off with Garg explaining he's here to get vengeance on Thor and Iron Man and Hulk says he's been in the game too long as that kind of makes sense, and once he properly asses what Gargoyle's trick is, he breaks offs the Gargoyle's hand that does the stone touch and hurls it away, telling him he better hurry up and find it before he turns back to normal.

Mr. Fixit was a douche, but entertaining.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ecavalli posted:

Valid point. He might be a monstrous man-wolf hybrid, but at least he’s not a Republican. :911:

Somebody asked Waid what he thought Cap's political leanings were and he said 'New Deal Democrat.' Not authoritative obviously, but one could see it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think you've ever gotten The Essential DeMatteis Captain America or something no, unfortunately. Heck, trades alone of that era in general can be hard to come by.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I remember on Jay and Miles explain the X-Men that around the time of the Mutant Massacre Sinister had a bunch of clones of the marauders so maybe the inconsistent Sabretooth were clones. They weren't but they could have been

Although to muddy that, I seem to recall that Sabertooth was his one Marauder Sinister didn't clone. (And I guess Malice too, who I don't think had a physical form.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I may be mis remembering but the Birdy story was after he got spiked through his brain and was kind a mindless doof for a while there. Once his memories came back he went full on murder murder murder again.

Yeah. Although don't forget the X-Men trying to tame him for a while (complete with, like, Boom-Boom bringing him milk in his cage) until he went 'psych!' and carved up Psylocke. (Again.) Which gave us that Crimson Dawn stuff, if I remember right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

There was also a stint pre-Onslaught where I swear that the X-Men had anywhere between 3 and 5 people in their basement in comas at any given time, they could have formed a team out of them.

Oh, right. They kept Emma Frost down there too, and she bodyjacked Bobby for an issue. It was yet another 'man you don't know how powerful you are Bobby' issue. I forget why she was comatose. She also woke up in time to start Generation X happily(?).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Fritzgerald whats his face the Bishop badguy masscered all the Hellions infront of her, then a dying Jean Grey mindjacked her which either left her in a coma. Jean Grey got better, Emma didn't for a year or two

Oh, right! Trevor Fitzroy! I haven't thought about him in ages because literally no one has, but that would have bothered me not knowing otherwise, so thnaks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

The Black Vortex crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy back in 2015.

It might be the only thing that anybody remembers from it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Consequently there were multiple Supergirls (and Zods, and Kryptos, and Superboys) over the years with convoluted and goofy origins until about twenty years later when Jeph Loeb in Superman/Batman just went "hey Supergirl is here and she has the exact same origin and backstory as the Silver Age one, except she dresses waaaaaaaay sexier!"

I forget who gave Supergirl her Mike Turner costume - it was either Lois or maybe Ma Kent. I think the former, but still.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

So Kyle was dating a fellow GL (and Sinestro's daughter), Soranik Natu. During a battle during Blackest Night, Kyle dies. While a bunch of lanterns fight trying to prevent any black rings from reviving Kyle into a zombie, this Star Sapphire named Miri comes down and using some vague power of love bullshit revives Kyle by using Soranik's love. Like 2 storylines later, Miri seemingly goes nuts on some planet forcing Kyle and Soranik to get sent on a mission to stop her, but then after they do, Miri says her going nuts was only a ruse because their relationship was starting to get rocky and as a Star Sapphire she can't abide breakups I guess. Kyle reveals that it's awkward because when he came back from the dead, he saw his true love... Jade, Alan Scott's daughter. Soranik gets pissed and they break up.

That really shot a hole in the Sapphires' shtick.

Soranik: "I saw you as my true love, Kyle!"
Kyle: "Uh, yeah, me too! I mean, I saw you!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

And also Steph is Batgirl. I am very okay with that being Batman's status quo for a long time if anyone wants to Thanos snap that into existence.

Is Cass technically Black Bat at that point? Because I do like that name better than Orphan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thaddius the Large posted:

Morbid curiosity, I picked up the Secret Wars collection on a whim, are any of the tie-ins worth it? Last Days, Battleworld, War Zones, etc?

Inferno and X-Men '92 were aces.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Even if you love Ramon's style you have to know that it is very much not something for everyone. There's some art that you sit there and actually wonder why someone else wouldn't at least like it. Ramon's art is a style that is not for everyone. And that's great! The more art styles the better. It wasn't my cup of tea but I'm glad a style so unique is given the chance to be on a book like that.

I've never really warmed up to Frank Quitely, if we're being honest, but I can respect the craft if not the result.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hitman's still good. I think it's his best stuff. Dude needs an editor.

For like everything else, including Preacher it loses me on re-reads. I remember getting mad at The Boys, but I was probably supposed to, so I didn't want to give Ennis the satisfaction.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduke posted:

He's a writer very, very invested in traditional masculinity, and while he can wax pretty poetic about it, he's also anywhere from skeptical to dismissive to outright hostile to anything that diverges from it. So he can write a pretty well-executed if formulaic World War II story about fearless fighting men but anything that requires writing about actual culture and actual society falls apart under the weight of his archaic revulsion.

I ran across an interview where Ennis said he couldn't write Judge Dredd anymore because he respected the character too much. Now, on one level, that's good. If Dredd doesn't have a small core of satire at his stories, he's not really Dredd. It came off as 'I can't write Joe Dredd anymore because I like him too much to write him for a whole prog with a weasel in his colon' or something similar.

quote:

I agree that Hit Man is among his best, precisely because, as Rhyno mentions, he was reined in and edited. It had to exist in the moral universe of the DC Universe, where people are, in the end, not ravenous beasts, and while it poked at the more hard-boiled edges of that universe, he still had to play by those rules. That being said, Bueno Excellante is still a loving atrocious joke, and I think it's pretty damning that Ennis feels compelled to revisit the one loving joke that he offers each time he revisits that milieu.

It's also telling that the only thing he ever mentions going back to from Preacher is the Sexual Detectives and apparently whatever idea he gave to Vertigo they said, "Uh, no."

That said, I almost tear up just thinking about the end of 'Closing Time' in Hitman. Almost. To actually do so I'd have to re-read it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Let's never forget where Huey found his pet hamster. Actually, I wish I could, but we shouldn't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I could not get over how badly suited Damion Scott was for Batgirl.

Diff'rent strokes there. I thought the stylized and kinetic look worked for her book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

What's aged the most poorly about the whole storyline is that, aside from one incident where he carves his name in the Tally Man's chest and another where he lets a serial killer fall to his death because he's too busy having a mental freakout to help him, Azrael's edgy, x-treme violent take on being Batman seems downright tame compared to some Batman stories that were published in the 2000s and on. Batman himself got a lot more violent and gritty, and some of his allies are out and out murderers that he inexplicably forgives. Hell, the second Azrael went around cutting people's limbs off and Batman was like "As long as you don't kill people we're good".

Even Huntress, who I liked, got 'you can't go around with a Bat-logo if you're going to kill people.' *Huntress kills somebody* 'Take off that costume but you can still be Huntress I guess.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedi posted:

I think Batgirl and The Birds of Prey ended back in May. Shame, I was enjoying it.

It was fun, even if it was a little odd to see Helena go from being spymaster to street-level vigilante.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

His debut story back in the 1940s had him as a serial killer, so it's definitely part of the character's DNA. In his very first appearance, he's more of a crazed murderer who uses the clown theme to add some drama to his killings than anything else. It was in the Silver Age period from the late 50s through to the early 70s, where both Batman and Superman were significantly rounded off in order to fit within the boundaries set by the Comics Code, that the Joker's iconic "goofy clown" personality came to the fore. Then, when the Code relaxed, writers began to emphasise elements of the Joker's old, murderous characterisation more and more and more, until you get to where we are today.

Yeah, I don't think he killed anyone again until Joker's Five Way Revenge.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And even if you are a Batman nerd it's like, "Wait, what?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Knight the one that has its actual ending gated by finding every Riddler trophy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was another one later on, which I believe was when Juggernaut destroyed the World Trade Centre and made Dr Doom cry.

The Doctor Doom crying bit is from the post 9/11 ASM issue JMS wrote.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Cool, that would have been an opportunity lost if they hadn't done that. I've just read Incredible Hulk #113 where the Sandman nearly beats the Hulk. I never thought of Sandman as being that much of a threat is he considered a high powered villain?

Traditionally, he's one of those guys whose intelligence (or lack thereof) holds him back and is generally why he's a Spidey villain*, although he does have his moments. He's more uneducated than dumb, unlike, say, Hydro-Man.

*And once upon a time a reserve Avenger when he'd reformed for a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Hydro-Man is intellectually challenged? What about Molten-Man seems like he should be tough.

Yeah. Ol' Morris Bench is as dumb as a bag of hammers. His main tactics are 'drown people' and 'blast them with water.'

As for Molten Man, he's actually smart. A scientist of some sort (in that I don't think it's ever been made more specific what field he's in other than 'The Science'). He's a brick, plus can shoot heat blasts and whatnot. Lost his powers sometime during Slott's run if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

It does seem like he should be dangerous but I don't remember him being so, but there is so much I haven't read which is why I'm going through them now. He's just been turned into glass and Betty stopped Hulk from smashing him. One way to defeat him.

That happened once in an Erik Larsen Spidey store, where Sandman even went so far as to get smashed while in glass form. He showed up in the final act all deus ex machina, a man of living glass shards (so basically the DC villain Shrapnel).