Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And with any luck, Damian will be back this year.

I don't know how to feel about that. On the one hand, I really like Damian. On the other hand, I don't think there's a single way they could bring him back that wouldn't be hacky and lovely. But on the other other hand though, they really can't keep doing this whole "Bruce grieving Damian" schtick, and realistically (and yes I know realistically is a relative term in a universe where men regularly fly), it's gonna be weirder and weirder for Bruce to make up excuses for why Damian isn't around to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think Dick Grayson holding a gun makes me wary immediately.

Don't worry, it shoots batarangs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Eternal confused me a little bit. Was the glowy green guy in the sewer just Gentleman Ghost and Batman failed to take him out? Or did Blight from Batman Beyond suddenly come out of nowhere?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The New 52: Batman doesn't sit whisper. That was the dumbest change to me. I mean, drat, come on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, Gotham Academy looks really interesting and I look forward to buying all ten issues before it gets canned.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Okay this is just ridiculous. Like DC must be having an internal Photoshop Phriday and it's just a company challenge to see who can make the silliest.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

I wonder whether or not Simone's departure was voluntary. She hasn't tweeted anything about the end of her run being planned or in praise of the new creative team, and it may just be me, but this has kind of a defensive vibe to it.

I'm fairly positive that it was voluntary, because if it wasn't, she would've already ordered her cult of Twitter followers to harass DC by now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

If Babs is 21 where does that put Grayson?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

You found the font! Which one did it end up being?

League Gothic. That's actually just the closest free approximation. The actual font is apparently Bureau Grot, but I am not willing to shell out $40 for a lazy gag.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 13, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I read the 75th Anniversary redo of Detective 27 and ugh. I mean I wasn't that big of a fan of Meltzer's work as I was reading it but I could accept it. Whatever, not my cup of tea but not offensively bad. But then of loving course the end has the Joker and then my eyes nearly rolled out of my head.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batwing is Luke Fox, son of Lucius Fox (Head of Wayne Enterprises) and a member of Batman Incorporated. Relatively new character that is used like an Nightwing/Batman Beyond stand-in nowadays, at the start of the N52 Batwing was David Zimbabwe and he was the Batman of Africa.

I'd just like to add that Batwing is terrible with a capital T. Like it was an intriguing prospect when the book was part of the Batman Inc thing and David Zavimbe was the lead, but then I guess sales weren't that great so editorial decided that instead of be faced with the dreadful prospect of actually cancelling a Bat-book, they changed the main character, the setting, the entire cast, and the costume. Because all Bats must be in Gotham forever.

(I know I've harped on this before but it's something I just can't get over with DC)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wow, am I the only person that enjoyed Simone's run on Batgirl?

I tried, I really did, because I liked Secret Six and so I'm not automatically biased against Simone, but her Batgirl just seemed like it was trying way too hard to be snarky with Barbara's roommate and that "Gordon Barbara Gordon" bullshit.

Also while it's nice to have more trans characters in comics, her reveal felt clumsy as all hell (although that was after I stopped reading the book and I just read that part via reposted panels on Twitter/Tumblr and maybe it was better in context? although I doubt it).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he's got at least one, if not multiple charities under the Wayne name. I know just recently in some Detective issue he dedicated a homeless shelter (my memory's a little vague, maybe it was a soup kitchen or something else) in his momma's name (then Penguin started some poo poo just to get it renamed after the Cobblepot family because he's a petty little prick)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jetfire posted:

It's just kinda funny, because while I'm sure there's been mentions of charities and philanthropy that Bruce headed, it's not as if I've ever seen it as central to any memorable story.

Well there was the ultimate philanthropy, Batman Inc! :D

Have a Batman in every country! Until Gotham gets wrecked and then have a Batman in... Japan and Mexico and they're the only two international Batmen I can think of left!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Talkin comic deaths and no one's mentioned that both Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy* are yet to resurrect? Or are we just looking for hero examples?

*(the actual one, no clones)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 9, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been terribly into Eternal but this:

has me so on board

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

The code to conceal his identity directly references his last name?

Listen, Bruce Wayne is a guy who infiltrates the criminal underworld occasionally by putting on a fake mustache, wearing sunglasses, and calling himself "Matches". He may be a genius, but his way of working is kinda stupid if you try to use too much (read: any) real-world logic.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 4, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How can Snyder write Batman so well and then write Batman Eternal and it's so bad? I'd try to pin it on Tynion but I can't imagine that one man could be that much of an albatross around Snyder's neck, even if Tynion is the worst writer to put pen to paper. I mean, there's just so much groanworthy stuff in it. Like, maybe after the reader finds out the new character/police commissioner is actually a bad guy (shocker :geno:), he couldn't start going around acting like a crazy villain trying to incite martial law immediately.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I kind of like Eternal and I'm assuming that Snyder and co are plotting the issues so I don't think it would be absolutely fair to say he is sucking at it.

I guess I used a little too much hyperbole there as I have enjoyed some of Eternal, (after all I am still reading it), but it's so darn hit-and-miss for me, and I just find it crazy that those misses can be coming from the guy who wrote Zero Year which I pretty much enjoyed start to finish.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually enjoying Grayson more than I thought I would, given its premise, but I'm wondering how in the world they're going to keep the plot going. Like, already, by issue 3, Spyral's already caught on to Dick sending out his broadcasts and are cracking more and more hero identities. It feels like the overarching plot's moving too fast. I mean, sure, we all know that sooner or later Dick's going to go back to being Nightwing, but at this rate Grayson's going to last 5 issues because he's going to get busted in issue 4 and dramatically escape in 5.

Also drat Detective Comics has some pretty art. As opposed to Eternal which has some very not pretty art.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I'm don't mind Joker being competent. He's been competent for some time, from the video games to the cartoons to the comics (I mean Morrison didn't exactly write him as a chump, you know). The only thing that bothers me is that it just feels like it's coming too close off the end of DOTF. Like, I guess Snyder just decided a year of Riddler plus cramming like every other character ever in the Bat-mythos over in Eternal equaled enough cool-off time for people to not want other villains?

I'm a big DOTF apologist even though a lot of people think it's easily the weakest of his stories, and I know he kinda teased another Joker story at the end of that one, but drat man, there's so many other stories you could go with before blowing your load on another Joker story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
With the Owl building I'm guessing we're gonna have some Nolan Batman poo poo in Eternal where the Cave gets wrecked and Bats has to chill in a backup base for a while

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfbK_dbsCu0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it's pretty dumb and poorly paced and has some hilariously dumb plot developments, but I think I'm also in the minority. I also don't really like Snyder's Batman either so

I agree with half of this post. It's weird that I really like Snyder's Batman, but I really dislike Eternal. It just feels like the definition of "trying too hard" on every level. I mean, sure, bring in a bunch of characters from the Bat-mythos if you want, I'm a guy who doesn't mind a little fanservice, but the story seems to really be trying to bring in literally every character from the Bat-mythos, and it is stretching itself in the most ludicrous ways to make that happen. I mean, not only is Gotham apparently going through a gang war (to ensure that all the Batman crime families like the Falcones would be around), but it is also undergoing weird underground sewer happenings like child kidnappings (thus ensuring that Killer Croc is involved) and loving spirit poo poo is happening (bringing in Deacon Blackfire and Gentleman Ghost) that pulls Arkham Asylum underground?

And all this is just (yet) another one of those stories that strains, if not outright breaks, any suspension of disbelief that anybody would live in Gotham because just tons of terrible poo poo is befalling the city, with little to no breaks (I think like only a month of time has passed in the comic) and nothing gets better. Every time someone gets close to a victory, we cut to Hush or yet another villain talking about how this was all part of the plan like I'm reading loving Death Note.

It's frankly astounding, the contrast between the quality on Eternal and Adjectiveless Batman. It's like some Snyder's got some Jekyll and Hyde poo poo goin' on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I guess this all but confirms Dr. Hurt will be appearing in Eternal, judging by the fact that he is a character that existed at a point in Bat-history.

ftfy.

Seriously that's the barrier to entry for Eternal.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

has existed for over a hundred years as some kind of devil.

My god it all makes sense. Ra's Al Ghul was the Joker ALL ALONG.

(Hey Scott Snyder, I pulled a complete bullshit plot twist and dragged another Bat-character into the story in that one sentence alone, I think I am qualified to join the Batman Eternal writing team, please read my resume tia)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

The heads of DC have specifically said that their target audience is 40 year old men who remember these characters from their childhoods. Then they let David Goyer make fun of those same people by doing poo poo like saying anyone who's ever heard of (not just likes, but has even HEARD OF) Martian Manhunter is a "virgin loser" at press conferences they hold. That's got to be a huge part of it.

Marvel is trying their damndest to expand their audience, but despite their movies it doesn't seem to be working, though.

Pssst he was making fun of you because you literally just insulted someone's taste after they said they were a new reader, hope this helps.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

wasn't there a story where Mad Hatter made a bunch of people drown themselves for no real reason other than "whoa look at this BAD GUY"?

That was in Batman: The Dark Knight, written by master author David Finch IIRC. The silver lining is I think B:TDK was just a out-of-continuity book DC gave Finch so he could draw pretty pictures and come up with Character Find Of The Year 2013 One-Face, so that doesn't "count".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I doubt it's him. Probably another fake-out.

It is always another fake-out and I can not fathom how in the world the same Scott Snyder who writes Batman that I enjoy is writing this crap. Is there maybe another Scott Snyder who writes comics out there? Evil twin? CLONE? I mean this is comics, anything is possible.

But seriously if anyone thinks immortal Joker over in Endgame is a bullshit story, they really need to go pick up Eternal and read the story of how Carmine Falcone no wait Hush no wait Mad Hatter no wait Ra's Al Ghul has conscripted every goddamned Batman character ever to be in one scheme that would make Light Yagami go "this is a little convoluted".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well, okay, he's not writing every individual issue, but he's credited for "Story", which I presume means he, at some point, drafted up this labyrinthine wheels-within-wheels plot and said "Yeah this is definitely good".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Because how would you know if he were scowling without an expressive hood?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

There definitely was not enough time between DoTF and Endgame. DoTF seems awfully superfluous now at this point (or Endgame comes off as redundant, take your pick). I'm just not a fan of Snyder's HorrorJoker, and there has been a lot of it.

(and he used him so elegantly at the end of his Detective run, too.)

That's probably my only problem really. I don't really mind DoTF or Endgame Joker, but the lack of time between them is the problem. I mean, hell, as much as I vocally hate Eternal, if it at least came to a close in the main title rather than still being run alongside stories placed after it, then at least the stories would feel like there'd been more time apart. As it is, especially since Zero Year is a prequel, DoTF ends with Joker disappearing, some bullshit happens in Eternal, then Joker immediately reappears with god mode activated.

It's well, like a horror movie. Only, like a bad horror movie series that's gotten stagnant where the villain just pops up with no real explanation.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 1, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think you just hate Eternal because, like, twelve different artists have given Jason a mask mouth in one series.

To be fair to him, even though it is a petty complaint, Frowny Red Hood is pretty dumb.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Although the only classic character still on Gotham (not counting Damian), is Barbara. Tim is in NY with the Titans, Dick is on Spyral and Jason is globetrotting with the Outlaws.

Eternal also has pacing issues, plot lines are abandoned for weeks and most of the time they feel disconnected from the main narrative. What was the point of the Corrigan plotline? What happened to Gordon or Vicky Vale?

Tim and Jason are off doing their things... except when they aren't. They'll show up when they need to, they're just sticking to the time-honored tradition of "existing where the story needs them to be" just like how Papa Bruce can hang out with the Justice League one minute then go on solo adventures the next.

And the point of the Corrigan plot was to blow up Arkham. Arkham's gone and DC built up interest in Corrigan/Spectre, and got two spinoff books (Arkham Manor and Gotham By Midnight) out of the whole deal.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Eternal's reveal was massively stupid and contrived

Fixed. :smug:

But really, for a second, a tiny second I almost thought "heh, that's kind of a neat idea behind it all" with Cluemaster explaining that his whole idea hinged on Batman totally overlooking D-listers and only going for the "big guys", but then he kept on talking about his plan and it all fell apart and I went right back to hating it. So you framed Gordon and just sent cards to every villain loving ever... how? I mean, you're a D-list villain and you haven't been active for years, and suddenly you have the means to track down guys like Hush and Riddler and loving Ra's Al Ghul? poo poo, the US Postal Service in the DCU must be staffed by some hardcore motherfuckers! And plus, for some master schemer, his whole master plan seemed to be "well I'll mail these guys cards, frame Gordon and then... well hopefully things'll go to poo poo and I'll capitalize on it". I mean drat at least when Hush was the master planner like 5 bait-and-switches ago, he was out in the field getting poo poo done himself, having his own underlings, infiltrating the mansion and incapacitating Alfred and then even having contingencies for that poo poo. Cluemaster's whole scheme could've fallen apart if a couple of Batman's rogues turned down the offer (and it would be in character for most of them because his rogues' gallery is nothing if not a bunch of egomaniacs that would not enjoy the idea of being manipulated for someone else's schemes).

At the end, there was an bit of a good story idea there, but that bit is nothing against the ton of dumb poo poo in the rest.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Gotham Academy Endgame was amazing and if you don't buy it and the series gets cancelled in 6 months you're a butthead. :colbert:

I honestly didn't like the first couple of issues of Gotham Academy but it's definitely gotten better and better over time and this issue is the best to date.

Seriously how can anyone not be buying this?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Because I don't have the slightest interest on the characters :shrug:

Gonna pick up the issues with Damian though.

Now, Eternal was just a lovely rehash of Hush with Cluemaster on Riddler's role and Lincoln on Hush's.

Cluemaster plan was massively stupid, the thing was dragged down with too many plots that didn't mattered in the end, characters were written horribly and the art was all over the place.

And Tynion really, REALLY needs to stop using Jason as proxy for Dick, the romance was Barbara was stupid and goes against how the both of them are written on their respective books.

-- Well that's the point of new characters. You don't start out with interest in them, you read the book and learn to like them.

-- I don't know how Jason is written in RHATO, but I will say that it the end scene with Jason in the bar felt kind of silly. I mean he and Barbara interacted like... what twice, maybe, over the course of the series? When they were in Brazil and when they stopped Mad Hatter, IIRC. And he kind of flirted with her in Brazil. And then suddenly he's ready to confess his love out of the blue ? Just felt forced.

-- I guess since so many people liked the end though and I actually find myself in agreement with you I should just go ahead and buy my tit avatar and join the unpopular opinions club.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I expected it all the way up to the end to be a Scarecrow-gas nightmare. Looking back now at the story as a whole I have really mixed feelings about it. I'm actually relieved to read that Snyder/Capullo interview because frankly at the end I was just like Bruce saying "gently caress it I guess he is just immortal" and I was pissed but I guess I just misread that (I'm kind of peeved that Snyder made that comment about not shutting the door entirely because you just know some much worse writer is gonna come up years from now and actually make Joker immortal). It was a fun ride I suppose and I don't regret reading it but at the end I guess I finally do fall on the side of all the people who complain about Joker being too god-like in this story (and to a lesser extent Death of the Family) even though I had previously defended it. I mean he basically teleports from downtown Gotham all the way to the cave at the end immediately after finding out Grayson and Bruce had faked him out.

Really though I'm just in mourning for Alfred's hand. RIP Alfred's hand, the true unnecessary casualty of this war.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hell, didn't Lobdell retcon it so the Nu52 Tim Drake isn't actually Tim Drake, he just uses it as an alias?

Yeah his family got put into Witness Protection after he like... hacked the Penguin's computers and turned over incriminating evidence to the cops I don't know my memory's hazy (maybe I can actually forget bad stories now!). Anyway his actual first name is Tim, but "Drake" is not his last name.

As much as I hate it I will side with D_T that Jason/Jason's death happening in the N52 kind of needs to be there (I think) for Death of the Family to work as well, just because it gives Batman more drive and really establishes that Joker is a real credible threat to his "family". Regardless it really doesn't matter, Jason being around is a symptom of the reboot not really rebooting Batman at all, so as to not affect Morrison's work, and Morrison was using Jason both as villain and as Wingman (what a silly name). Cass and Steph are casualties of DC wanking over Barbara and being not as big of a presence in Batman Inc as the boys (other than Tim who probably got spared thanks to his larger fanbase).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread