Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My civ managed to domesticate gremlins and a stray one came in with a migrant wave. It is now using up all my ammo by attempting to hunt Giant Thrips. Do I have to pasture it or something to get it to stop hunting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Man, DF is being REALLY nice to me this game. A migrant wave just waltzed in with a tame Giant Cave Spider in tow. Time to set up a silk farm.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I had a siege recently and did pretty well although a poo poo-ton of dwarves got injured. Too bad nobody seems to care and would rather pick up goblin clothes than recover wounded dwarves. They get around to it eventually but to speed things up, I thought I might cause a few cave-ins to knock them out. I make a minor 1-square cave-in but THIS time, it goes horribly wrong and the miner AND the injured dwarf AND her baby all end up with broken spines. WHOOPS.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

pixaal posted:

A Fortress fed entirely with cats is the only way to play, seems fitting to use their souls to power your army.

I refuse to kill cats. Cats are our friends.

Dogs can gently caress right off though.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I have two cats in a fortress of around 190. Both are males and only one is owned.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I imagined beak dogs to be like doggy griffons without wings. I didn't expect... that. Did the goblins come up with that name? If so, they are the worst namers ever.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Suicide Sam E. posted:

..also the doors depict jaguars killing people. My dwarves are nuts over giant jaguars and their exploits for reasons unknown to me.

Hey, it's better than having them repeatedly engrave the grand story of how an ettin walked through some swamps once 90 years ago.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

DEVLOG, GO

Toady One posted:

Truck truck truck. Having some exposition issues... got back from an assignment to find my leader had been beheaded, only I wasn't able to figure that out by talking to people (had to go to legends afterward). Was surprised to find kobolds occupying a set of dwarven hillocks... thought it was a bug, but it was actually a legit bandit takeover from 20 years prior that nobody told me about. Walked into another hill dwarf site and everybody was running out of the civic mound yelling about an insurrection. I walked in there and the mayor was by himself. I thought I'd help them out, so I stabbed him in the head. One of the fleeing dwarves turned around and beat me to death. That'll teach me to meddle in internal affairs. In another game, I walked out into a market and all the humans and goblins there were in a giant brawl. I think that flare-up was caused by something in their cultural pasts but I didn't figure it out. Sometimes you just want to grab somebody and scream "what's going on?!" but you can only ask about certain things... a list which needs to be expanded even as they continue to volunteer more information.

Zach went out to hunt some night creatures and found a bunch of monsters of twilight up in a tree... turns out their blood-sensing ability allowed them to detect all the scary beasts deep underground and they wanted nothing to do with it, so they fled from their lair (which was not attached in any way to the beasts underground) and treed themselves.

In any case, fixed a couple crashes Zach found today, and things are going well, though I expect quite a bit of the roughness above will survive in various forms to be experienced by you all as we continue working on this, since we still have some larger problems to fry first.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

So, the last update had tigermen as pets no longer being a thing, right? What do I do if I want them to be pets again? Can I just restore the [PET] tag and have everything be as it was before?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

If animal people are going to have a valid place in society, will it be immoral to use thrips men as training fodder for recruits?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

RedTonic posted:

Sure would.

So the human law-giver came to visit my new baron... Turns out it's a vampire. Should I liberate humankind from the undead yoke?

Do it and see what happens.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I guess Toady doesn't like poop. Vomit is totally okay though.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

All I want is the ability to use blood as a food/drink in fortress mode.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

So what exactly do you have to do in order to have your adventurer write something in adventure mode?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I'm playing as a bard/poet/dancer elf running around wherever and I find that I can do a great performance... provided I can actually finish it. As of now, most of them just stop because one of the losers that come in to pretend to be an instrument leaves. Does setting up a troupe actually fix this problem?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I can't for the life of me get a drink in Adventure Mode. Sure, I can drink water or blood or what have you, but I can't order an actual drink at the tavern. They just keep blabbing about rooms.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Elth posted:

Every time I've stumbled upon a Tavern, the booze was free. There was the curious lack of a tavern keeper and a few holes in the walls though.

They don't even appear to HAVE booze. Only tables, chairs and a chest full of instruments.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Elth posted:

I've had an inordinate amount of random people exclaim "I'm feeling randy!" at me in adventure mode. That's not what I meant when I asked them to join me on an adventure. :(

I've had children tell me that they were aroused after I told some ribaldrous poetry.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

reading posted:

I also cannot get any dances to occur. I have a big tavern space, a bag and cabinet that NEVER get stocked with my drat instruments, a tavern keeper, and alchohol stockpile in the tavern....what do I have to do? There are plenty of visiting performers and bards with their own instruments.

I think that dances break up because one of the participants has decided to do something else so instead of them leaving and the dance continuing on without them, the whole thing breaks up.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Still adventuring and sometimes I come across Forest Retreats that seem to crash the game whenever I get too close to one of the taverns

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I can't get any rulers to accept me as a performer even after I tell them poetry that they like. They keep on saying they want to see something impressive.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I'm playing Dwarf Mode now and in Dwarf Therapist, about half the animal's gender symbols are greyed out. Does this mean they are asexual? Why are all my animals asexual?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

A dwarf caravan came and got spooked by an animal when they were packing up and just kind of stopped. They've been here for a few seasons so I was expecting they were going to go nuts at some point but instead... they turned into barons?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Also, what's up with beans and chickpeas? I can't seem to be able to harvest them?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lareine posted:

Also, what's up with beans and chickpeas? I can't seem to be able to harvest them?

No, really. I can't harvest wild beans. Designate them for picking does nothing. Putting a gather plant zone on them does nothing. I want my mung beans, goddamn it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

reading posted:

Making miso paste would provide a great uses for jugs/pots.

In the raws, there are notes in soybeans talking about plans for implementing soy milk so maybe next version we'll have miso and tofu and all that jazz.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I keep being hit with the "Need unrotten dye item" bug. How are you supposed to fix that? Forbid barrels?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I just realized I don't have sand on my embark. I need the sand to make the glass corkscrews that gets put in the screw pumps that pumps the magma so I can finally forge stuff without using up all my wood. Now I have to make the corkscrews out of either nethercap wood(which is guarded by serpent men) or out of metal which will use up twice as much charcoal as the glass would've. I could potentially solve that by making the forge way way down at the bottom where the magma is but that is incredibly inefficient considering my dwarves live up top. Can't be worse than using up all my possible wood just to make some goddamned corkscrews.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Do you have a working marksdwarves squad and some spare miners?

I could probably manage but there are a shitload of them and someone's probably going to have to die to do it.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

TheCIASentMe posted:

Nah dude. Serpent men may not even be hostile to your dwarves. I bet if you move a squad near them they'll flee rather than fight.

Even if they do fight a squad of 10 marksdwarves with leather armor should be able to take them out easily.... Also why are you concerned about a death? Send some dwarves from your newest wave to die wrestling them. Repeat again as necessary with new waves of expendable recruits.

It's first come first promoted up in this bitch. Find the dwarves that have the highest skills in the specific areas you need. Press gang anyone else into squads. Send them in to fight something. Any survivors get equipped with weapons and armor and the privilege to train.

They are listed in the unit screen as Hostile though you are right that they are likely to flee. I'm just not at the point where dwarves are disposable yet though I'm rapidly getting there thanks to Migrant Waves sending me Soapers. I could try to dig out to them and plink them to death through fortifications. I kind of forgot that was even an option.

Speaking of death, I've only had one so far. A dwarf just up and dying in the dining room in front of everybody. No injuries, no vampires. Just dead. It's really a shame that the system doesn't really allow you to investigate these things thoroughly after death.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I like rivers. They have a source of shells. Also an infinite source of water without having to deal with aquifers.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

it's starting to get a bit ridiculous how many visitors I'm getting now.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I wish these fuckers would actually use the instruments that I've provided them with instead of just reciting the same poetry at each other.

Another thing that has been bothering me is some dwarves that are whining about being away from friends and family HAVE NO FRIENDS OR FAMILY. You can't exactly be missing Mom if you never had one.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Should probably be giving them an opportunity to make friends, then!

They have a perfectly good tavern. They could go and make friends there. I'm not stopping them from throwing parties either but they've stopped having those too.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

One of my dwarves drowned. How can I retrieve the body and stuff without drowning my other dwarves?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Decrepus posted:

So everyone drowned by now, right?

Naw, the other ones seem to be wise enough to not even try.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Anybody elses dwarves not breeding? Not that I particularly WANT children but I've got 101 dwarves and only 2 are children which came with a migration wave. There are a few married couples that also came with a wave and they aren't reproducing. No dwarves have gotten married in fort either.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

scamtank posted:

What's your population cap? It's down d_init.txt.

I didn't mess with the defaults there so it's:
[POPULATION_CAP:120]
[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220]

And this problem has been on-going ever since embark.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

scamtank posted:

Oh yeah it does. Considering how "This is my fight too. Begone fear!" is basically the dwarven battlecry these days, instead of a wild panic you'll more often see cave crocodiles getting torn apart by 4-6 wildly swinging picks

These days, any surprise troglodytes or trolls most often get lynched by bystanders before the sheriff can hoof it to the crime scene

I kind of miss the time when civilians would just run away instead of chasing down a Giant Lion and punching it to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Dear Dwarves,

During a siege, could you guys NOT climb over the fortifications and jump into a crowd of goblins? Especially you, marksdwarves.