Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Internet Kraken posted:

She didn't die though, all her head fat just melted off :shepface:

NEW!

Are you tired of being fat? Can you not stop stuffing plump helmets into your mouth at every opportunity? Do you just want to turn your life around and reinvent yourself? We at Overseercorp bring you the newest weight lost regime.

Pyrosuction.

Watch the fat literally melt away! Lose pounds in minutes! Gain new scars and fantastic stories to impress that special dwarf in your life! (Remember! everyone dig scars!)

Our partial domesticated Fire Smog Beasts will expertly melt all that unsightly blubber from your body, leaving a new, thinner, impressively scarred you!

Don't wait! Sign up today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tias posted:

Is there an (easy, not much of a modder) way to ensure you don't get completely broken megabeasts in a short amount of time, or ever?

I'm doing extremely well in masterwork, but often, at some point a building-destroying, fire-breathing Red Dragon/Titanium Colossus, whatever show up and kill everybody. Setting number of beasts and natural world savagery to low doesn't seem to prevent the chance of it happening.

What about the times when the Salt Titan turns up at your door? Those are the times that people sing about - when a monster that has killed hundreds in world gen gets into the real game and comes apart when a crossbow dwarf hits him with his bow.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dwarf Fortress, where even a throwaway object can be legendary.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lareine posted:

Man, DF is being REALLY nice to me this game. A migrant wave just waltzed in with a tame Giant Cave Spider in tow. Time to set up a silk farm.

You see, for me, DF being nice to me is the Crossbow dwarves actually have ammo.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

He's been spending most of his time working on a kickstarter that he know's will bring in the moneys -

Scamps - a cats guide to dwarf fortress.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

scamtank posted:

Not this month it hasn't. June 14th is the magic number to pass.

Didn't Toady says something about not getting to any more milestones, so we should have the update before then!

(Yeah, I know, but I can be hopeful.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

scamtank posted:

Hey look @ this fuckin thing

This could be big. It warrants keeping an eye on, I think.

The holy grail has been found!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

scamtank posted:

look @ this scrublet who didn't keep up with toady's two5six feedback where he let slip that the new version number is going to start with 0.38

If I remember Toady's numbering system, in the last two years we've moved 4% closer to DF being complete.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Thats a step in the right direction, and whats buggy now will get better.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish we got at least one big thing for Fortress mode like guilds or a magic system or religion or something.

We're entering the stage now where he'll add a few "quick" things that really shake up the gameplay - IIRC last time he added minecarts in a day or something stupid like that.

Two years on world generation, two weeks changing the game, Toady one folks. (That said, I do think the shift to worlds carrying on as the game plays is a major one, and I can see why it could take someone two years,)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Baloogan posted:

:suspense::stonklol:

Is any else as excited as I am for new DF next month.

Yeah, I plan on exploring the world a lot more than I normally do, just to see what weird stuff gets generated. Then I'm going to make and abandon a fort, just to see what happens to it while I play properly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

No don't!

The very moment we are able to send out road crews to build roads outside our settlement, Toady will code it so that wagons require roads to travel. It will be some 12 year quest to build roads out of the mountains and all the way to the nearest human town to get proper wagon trains to visit. The worst megaproject.

That would depend on how well automated it was.

I assume that the next step for the release two years hence will be off site command - sending out armies and work parties - it may be that you will be able to set work parties to build a road from your fort to the town of Unreliable Breaches nearby, twenty of your dwarves will go off map, and you won't hear from them for three years until they pop back saying the road is complete. Unless they get ambushed, at which point you get moved to that location to fight out the battle.

This being DF of course, it will take 20 key presses to order this, and half the time the builders will decide that the quickest way to get to a place is right through the necromancers fortress, giving him a nice easy route to attack you from.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

theyre just doing a musical

Le Mis would be a happy story in a DF world.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have to say, it is fun doing a periodic refresh on Mantis, Toady obviously got to work 1:20 mins ago and has already fixed 10 bugs. including the talking to deity crash.

My adventurer will no longer have a world destroying moment when speaking to his/her god!

Shame there are 1970 outstanding ones!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Kennel posted:

I think those are just flagged to be duplicates by Footkerchief and Knight Otu.

yeah, that would make sense....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Splode posted:

Then, as an elven peasant, I killed a human farmer and ate his brain in front of his friends.

Adventure mode is fuckin' weird.

Would you like to try some, Clarice?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I think I know why my dwarves were so keen to start a new home.....

Although, they have moved to Woshiprazor.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You buried yourself under a mountain of hatred? No wonder the goblin doesn't care about this weird Emo guy who wandered into his town.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I now need to build a shaft over my barracks and drop animals/prisoners/nobles down it periodically to desensitize my soldiers.

Did you know that 3/4 of all marksdwarves deliberately aim to miss during combat?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This next release could have more changes than the previous one - so many bugs fixed from so long ago, the game could be almost unrecognizable!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Nope, constructed walls can't catch fire.

Yet....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

DrMelon posted:

The succession is avenging the untimely death of the previous player and/or taking over worldgen sites to make a warlord bandit civilisation composed entirely of adventurers. Then you could upset the civ in fortress mode and try to survive the pummeling of adventurers.

That or build a quick fort of Dwarves who start a historical society, and send out adventurers across the world to learn the history of the world and collect all the artifacts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

TildeATH posted:

That's because you're thinking it's fortress mode but instead of one year with an overseer you get one life with an adventurer or some other arbitrary thing.

The best way a 2014 DF LP could go is if each successive player got 7 days of real time to do whatever the hell they wanted in the shared world. If they want to create a series of forts to make the Great Wall of Dwarfdom, then that's fine. If they want to found a fort and play classic overseer, that's fine, and if they want to reclaim a previous player's fort, that's fine.

And if they want to spend their week adventuring and dying to sponges over and over again, I bet that would make a good turn, too.

And the added benefit is that if the turns are in real time instead of dwarf time, then we don't run into the plague of all DF LPs: turns that consist of weeks of nothing but posts by the current player apologizing for not having the time to finish their turn.

This has to be done at some point, a Dwarf World LP, rather than a Dwarf Fortress. Yeah, there will be no 20 year epics, but whats stopping someone taking a second turn to continue their fort, or someone else taking over said fort if they are interested.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently I started as a dead dwarven civ. Apparently my fortress, Honorstaff, was the only site for that civ. Apparently I can retire my fortress, make a bunch of ¤Grand Master Biters¤, retire them where they start, and have an instant militia.

Edit: there is no militia yet and my just-retired adventurer dwarf has a single thought: he is upset about being relieved from duty :aaaaa:

You have to feel for him, he's spent his entire life preparing to go on epic adventures, he finally gets his chance, and what does he get told? "You are on guard duty"

Poor sod.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OhCrap posted:

Pfft. *killed by a giant blind fire-breathing turkey after ordering takeout for my birthday*

At least your not the threads comic relief *Falls on face*

NewMars posted:

I really think this needs one major thing to be really viable: sites not being insta-conquered out of world gen. The way it is now an invader will always win. Which is just depressing when it comes to retired forts and generally leads to goblin world domination.

I for one welcome our new goblin overlords!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

Well, go find a snowman and kick them in the head and see how they hold up in real life.

Random beasts made out of materials like sand or snow or mist are extremely flimsy.

Yet they still manage to go on centuries long killing sprees. I have to wonder what the Dwarves were doing until you take command.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I embarked on a volcano. My being terrible with lava led to one of the half fort being slaughtered by a Kobold ambush, and the other half trapped inside a fortress with no picks, no bar, and no way out by the magma.

So I reembarked, but a volcano is not something you pass. Now the Volcano is overflowing lava. I think this may be an eruption or a bug. Either way, that volcano has burned every loving thing it can get it's hands on.

Key question. Are the dwarves from embark 1 still trapped inside the fort?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

And I speak fantastico espanol.

Meanwhile, I barely speak English.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So, new world, new fort, I'm trying to get my dwarves to build the depot when the trader turns up. Hes a goblin. I check my (dwarven) civilization and notice that all the barons and baronesses are Goblins.

Great. Apparently I've just been handed the same universe as Bronzestabbed!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Plek posted:

Asbestos clothes wouldn't wear down anywhere near as fast as adamantium and have the added bonus of being flame resistant.

Also, its not like Dwarves Last long enough to be worried about cancer.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dreggon posted:

a camel just killed four of my guys, since when are those dangerous

Since some bugger thought it would be a good idea to try and ride a spitting lumbering humped thing.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I do think that once the bugfixing period is over, Toadys next aim should be to make off site battles happen - that way we can really get back to rebuilding lost Dwarven civs - also it should be something he can do in a few months rather than taking two years......

You know what, I'm just wishing now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

For those of you unfamiliar with Toady's cycle, there is about a 50/50 chance I'd say that the next update will be measured in weeks, or in years.

"A few outstanding issues" could mean anything up and including adding magic and the end of days.

Its Toady, you just can't tell!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2015: A Renaissance Fair has Arrived

Happy World Gen Festival everyone!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Thats a big thing actually, you build temples to keep dwarves happy, but Urist has a bad day and topples an idol. Suddenly, instead of a angry dwarf, you have werewolf loose in the centre of your fortress.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

The temple is the dining hall :devil:

Of Course! It saves travel time. Its also right above the hospitable and the main hab area! (well away from the noisy barracks of course.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

CrazySalamander posted:

Unfortunately that will never happen because all the papers will have is articles about themselves.

Or the rival newspapers have to run stories about how awesome the headline their main competitor just ran was.

"Daily Dorf stuns fort with powerful wordplay"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

So, when they say something is "lost," is it entirely destroyed, or is it possible to go track it down? Because I'm rolling another Jones-esque archeologist character currently, and it would be nice to know.

This could be a fantastic LP - someone starts by building a libary, then people have to go out into the world and collect all the tomes, artifacts and other collectables and bring them back and store them in said libary.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

markus_cz posted:

Ideally, you would first create a fortress and build a library in it, then retire the fortress and use adventurers to bring books in. And you can switch between the fortress and adventurers however the LP demands.

Dammit, I even have a title.

"Dwarf Fortress Libarians - Knowlage run Armok"

I think I may have to do this once the version gets a bit more stable. I guess it might be an idea to run a few fortresses in fort mode to get more places to hunt for artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A bard turned up at my fortress and made it through the roaming packs of Giant Dwarf eating Hyenas. He carried this book.

Apparently he decided to make poetry, not weapons, and has written a book about it.