Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

v40.06 seems to have introduced a new bug: loose women. Early autumn of the first year and two three of my starting 7 have just given birth. They aren't married. They have never been married. They don't even have private bedrooms yet.

It is Scandalous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Verviticus posted:

who are their fathers?

Oh, my.

The first one was fathered by the doctor.

And so was the second one.

And the third. Apparently 'Doc' Muscleseal is a huge slut. Dude just sprays his dwarf spores everywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kennel posted:

Does mothers' relationship screen mention the father?

All three list him as a friend.

e: I just checked on Doc and he actually has 4 kids. The last is with a lady that came in the first immigration wave, so that one is 3 months younger than the others.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 4, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Interesting. In their relationship screens all his kids correctly identify their own mother and father, but they don't list each other as siblings.

If anyone is curious what a dwarfen Don Juan looks like:

The ladies just can't resist his wavy hair and sunken blue eyes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Moon Monster posted:

Man, cooking in this game feels almost like an exploit. I traded this for a set of steel platemail.

I love to exploit cooking. I used to save all the masterpieces meals for my own fort, so I was sad when I learned that dwarfs only get a happy thought from a meal if it includes one of their favorite foods. A masterpiece meal doesn't mean poo poo if it doesn't include your favorite food. :mad:

The filet mignon was okay, I guess, but it didn't have any peanut butter on it so meh.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Verviticus posted:

dont they automatically seek out foods that will make them happy though? if you have a variety of wolverine parts you're probably set

As far as I've ever been able to tell they don't seek out their preference for anything. The go for the closest(ish) available thing that meets the job requirements. They won't seek out foods, drinks, fabrics or furniture materials that they prefer when choosing which item to grab.

The only time they seek out specific materials is during a mood.

Oh, and back when the economy was in the nobles and such would sometimes seek out items that made them happy. So a noble with a preference for figurines or gauntlets would go take a bunch of them to stash in his room.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Is there a way to collect peaches, etc. that is lying on the ground from the new trees?

Only elves know the secret of picking fruit. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

If I cage and enslave a elf, can I bind it through torture to train my dwarves how to pick up fruit off of the ground?

:iit:

Windfall fruit is all soft and wormy, it's no wonder no one will pick it up. If you want good fruit you have to pick it while it is still on the tree. No decent dwarf wants to climb trees.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prop Wash posted:

It works out ok, your animal trainers will gain experience that is otherwise pretty difficult to come by, which helps when the time comes to train war animals!

The only tricky bit is if the animals are herbivores, they may be fed a plant that will leave a seed in the cage. The cage can't be used in cage traps until you get the seed out, but there is no command for that.

d-b-d to dump items, select all the cages with seeds.
Look [k] at the cages and [d] each one to remove the dump designation. Now the seeds inside will be dumped, but the cages will not.

This also works to remove corpses from cages if something dies in there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turpitude posted:

Hey guys, the only nice wildlife I have on my current map are some Ravens floating around at Z-level 27 or so. I'm considering building a tall tower and putting some cage traps on it. Any other ideas for capturing them? My other idea is that perhaps there is a DFHack command that will let me instantly tame them?

The easiest way is to avoid the problem of high fliers in the first place. When you generate a world by default it continues 15 levels above the ground, if you don't plan to be building any towers, you can lower that to 3-5 and still have plenty of room for basic walls and stuff, but fewer things flying above the range of your archers. The downside being that you can't decide to build a castle later.

You can try to lure them down. Ravens may try to attack babies and children, and may also try to steal food. Some birds also seem to like to harass small animals like rabbits, cavies, and baby birds. You can set an above ground meeting zone, statue garden or zoo (walled in to protect from kidnappers, if you like). Include some food stockpiles that do not accept barrels, so food is accessible. Put lots of cage traps in and around the bait zone. If you catch on make sure that cage remains in the trap area, because other members of the group will repeatedly approach the caged one.

Birds suck.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh no! I glance back and blue ! everywhere, what has happened?

There is no report of anyone throwing the chair, as near as I can tell while going up a ramp someone dropped a chair? And it hit this lady and squished her baby. :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Faithless posted:

This is the second fort where no migrants have come after 2 years (New wolrd gen). Could I just not be attracting them? The dwarf liason informed me that an evil army was wiping out entire towns but surely I couldnt have just started the game and then suddenly everyone is wiped out?

Also a hunter got terrified of a wombat, ran up a tree and fell out of it to his death within 5 minutes of starting. I'm trying to throw him off of a waterfall at the moment but dwarfs wont dump their fellows bodies.

Have you gotten any immigrants at all? At least the first two waves?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

scamtank posted:

Do you have the token STRICT_POPULATION_CAP somewhere down your d_init.txt? If not, there's your problem.

Seems to come up often, maybe put it in the op?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dante posted:

Yeah these are good points. I usually don't build a lot constructions, but most people will want more dwarves with Masonry.

Other newbie tips:

Egg/leather industry:
Create two rooms (they can be underground, soil/rock doesn't matter), put doors on them and make them pet impassable. Designate the first one as a hen pasture and put all your hens there plus the rooster. Do the same with turkeys for the second room. Build a bunch of Nest boxes, then turn off turkey and hen eggs in the kitchen menu AND the food stockpiles. Now wait until the eggs hatch. Now you can begin harvesting hen eggs for amazing amounts of food and slaughter turkeys for vast amounts of leather.

You really don't need the hens at all, turkeys are better in every way. Turkeys produce 10-14 eggs, hens produce 4-15 eggs. The rare times that hens produce 15 eggs and therefore more than possible for a turkey, will be more than offset by the many times they produce 4-9 eggs. On average a turkey produce 12 eggs, and a hen produces 9.5.

When you slaughter the useless males for meat/leather, turkeys are vastly superior. A full grown chicken produces 13 edibles and 4 bones, to a turkey's 19 edibles and 6 bones. Both take 2 years to reach full grown. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Domestic_animal#Comparison_of_domestic_poultry

I'd suggest keeping a cage in/near your hen houses, and lock up all the juveniles to save some FPS drain. If FPS isn't an issue yet, keeping the surplus male juveniles in a pasture near your entrance can provide a valuable hostile distraction and passive thief detection. Big things have trouble hitting tiny things, so they can buy you a surprising amount of time to get your military formed up. You'll lose some meat since tame creatures killed by hostiles can't be butchered, but better that they fill your poults than your dwarfs full of arrows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Remember when masterpiece clothes used to cause the "art destruction" bad mood when they rotted? That was a great bug. Had to watch your clothiers like a hawk, and fire them as soon as they started making masterpieces.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

scamtank posted:

man, hallucinating bugs crawling all over you? not a nice way to wake up

Aww, looks like kids will be even more useless soon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Apoplexy posted:

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I need some help re-learning Dwarf Fortress after a break of about 7 years. When last I played and had DF down, there was only one layer, every time you started off there was just, simply, a giant mountain you dig into eastward. So I am trying to figure out what the best way to go about doing this is, I would really, really like for it to be as graphically advanced as possible with Stonesense and all, so I'm thinking that means to use something based on 34.11, I have Mastework 5.10 and PeridexisErrant Lazy Newb Pack r67 downloaded, but they're quite a bit more complex than I'd imagined they'd be. All the utilities and such I have zero clue about. Any ideas on how I simply get up and running so I can learn the game playing with either of these?

It is actually a lot easier to keep the inside of your fort safe now. You know how you had to have bridges over the cave river, the chasm, and the lava river? Maybe with elaborate triple bridge systems to try to catch idiots the were swept off the bridge during the seasonal floods. And you had to constantly be on guard because an infinite number of frogmen, snakemen, antmen, and lava creatures could spawn out of their streams and right into your main hallway. Yeah, all that is gone now. RIP.

Instead you dig down to find those things. Floor (H)atch is a new piece of furniture, basically a door for vertical space. Absolutely nothing, not demons, not dragons, nothing, can break a locked floor hatch from below. So build floor hatches over your stairways and ramps every few levels as you go down, and if you breach something you aren't ready to deal with just lock the hatch and ignore it.

Indoor farming is generally easier. If the site you are embarking on has Soil or Clay layers, you can farm without needing to rig mud. Which is good, because without the cave river seasonal floods mud is kind of a bother to engineer. If you do get some underground stone wet it will remain muddy forever though, so that's a plus. It is generally a good idea to just dig into a soil layer, set up your farms, basic workshops, stockpiles, a dormitory and dining room right away as a temporary home base.

A big change is Aquifers. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer They are a hassle to get through, so just don't use a site that has an aquifer for now. The Lazy Newb Pack has an option to turn off aquifers entirely. Or the site finder can help you find a good site without an aquifer.

A very nice new feature is constructions. You can now build new walls and floors. Nice. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Construction

You can make things a little easier for yourself by using the "Design New World with Advanced Parameters" to make your world. First choose a Medium or Small Region.

Change the end year. The way the world is generated now, the default of 1050 is way too long. 100 years will give everyone plenty of time to get established, 200 if you want all your dwarfs to be born rather than poofed into existence.

Set Mineral Scarcity to 500-1000 so you will have lots of minerals for your first game. You are no longer guaranteed to find every metal in every site. If minerals are set too low it is possible that no one in the entire world will have iron.
On that same screen set Vampire curse types, werebeast curse types, and secret types to None. Those are all fun things that can show up any time, even the first year when you have no military to speak of an nothing but a locked door to hide behind. You don't want to have to deal with it while you figure out the new mechanics.

Finally, if you want to be able to do any hunting at all, change Z levels above ground to a low number, I like 3. The default is 15, and the problem with that is it allows birds to sit in the sky way out of crossbow range of your dwarves. No other animals will spawn as long as a flock of birds is chilling on the map, so they can shut down hunting entirely. Depending on the species of the flock they may come down to harass dwarfs and livestock, then fly back up into the high sky whenever they get hurt or scared. It is just a nuisance. Unless you plan to build the Tower of Babel you don't need all that sky space.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

Bah, that's no good. I want to have my plump helmet roast and eat it, too.

Then maybe you should get a real computer. :smug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Adequate posted:

This sounds awesome and incredibly dwarfy. Someone's going to run this, and end up with some poor outcast freakish giant who lives a lonely and sad life, but saves the fort in a moment of terrible danger and is ever after heralded as a hero. Sperging yields some way to manufacture sufficiently large clothing and the dwarf is given suitably large quarters - and anyone who comes to the fort to gawk is going to have to go through several dozen angry dwarves first.

Naked kid isn't going to save poo poo. Something will stab him in the foot and he'll be done.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there any setting that makes dwarf civilizations more likely to dig tunnels? I always thought it would be cool to have a fortress with an underground road leading back home.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I found a way to get archers to practice. There is a ghost parked in my main crossroads, and the hunters and marksdwarfs are shooting at it. How? Why? :psydwarf: They aren't hitting it, of course, but that doesn't seem to matter. It is also surrounded by war dogs and soldiers, while everyone else refuses to get within 30 tiles of it.

I think the problem is that it is a hostile dwarf ghost. It is from a "goblin" vile force of darkness that had no goblins. When they died the dwarfs in the party didn't get sent to the refuse pile, but to the rarely used (y) Corpses stockpile. Usually only friendlies get sent to the graveyard, bodies lingering there means I need more coffins. Except this dwarf can't be put in a coffin, because he's hostile. He doesn't show up on the slab engrave list either.

And of course the first few idiots that saw him dropped what they were carrying, so all the doors in the area are propped open and everyone is freaking out.

Anyone else seen this?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dragon_pamcake posted:

You got lucky. My hostile dwarf ghost materialized in my dining room. I had to abandon and reclaim.

I guess the strategy here is to try to catch the hostile dwarfs in cage traps, and then just ignore them? If they can't die, they can't haunt.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A White Guy posted:

It used to be possible (and it probably still is) to gen an incredibly tame world where everyone ends up friendly, and thus the goblins will show up to trade with you.

I've embarked on a volcano in a tundra. There is no water,period. I guess the gameplan here is plump helmets all day everyday. One day I want to do a sober fortress.

You can melt ice with magma. It's a really bad idea, but you can do it. The ice multiplies. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Glacier#Volcanoes_and_Glaciers

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ProfessorGroove posted:

I noticed a dwarf was very unhappy and checked out his mood too see why "He suffered through his spouse's miscarriage recently" haha what? Is that new?

If a pregnant dwarf sleeps on the ground she can have a miscarriage. loss.jpg

edit: oh the wiki says it only happens if they get starving, dehydrated or injured. Huh, I could of sworn it was related to sleeping on the ground. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Miscarriage

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ghetto wormhole posted:

So during the first winter two necromancers showed up with 35 undead in tow. I was obviously not prepared! They shredded my tiny military almost immediately(though they managed to chase the necromancers off the map!) After that it was either wait to starve in a couple seasons or open the gates and welcome (un)death.

Guess I'll never be embarking within range of a tower ever again!

Yeah, I'm not finding necromancers fun right now. If they bring even a single armed and armored zombie there is basically nothing you can do the first year. It might be a fun challenge in adventure mode, but in fortress mode it isn't fun at all.

So when a I gen a new world I set "secrets" to none. No secrets, no necromancers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ghetto wormhole posted:

Uh, is there a way I can use the basic world generator and also change secrets to zero because I just looked at the advanced parameters and holy poo poo

Unfortunately, no. But it isn't as bad as it seems, most of the screens can be ignored. Like most things in DF it looks worse than it is.

Sane world walkthrough:
I'm using a medium region for this example, if you use a small or pocket world the defaults will be different on some numbers, no big deal. If you use a large world you are insane.

On the first screen the only thing you need to change is the end year. 100 is sufficient for everything to be established. 200 takes a bit longer to gen, and you get dwarfs who were mostly born rather than "the first of their kind" which means they have parents and siblings. I enjoy the challenge of a fort where dwarfs have relationships and deaths hit hard, but if you don't 100 will do.

Screens 2-4 are impenetrable. Any time I've attempted messing with them I just get infinite world rejections. Whatever is going on there is for people smarter than me.

The bottom of the fifth screen are a couple things. I don't like beach forts so I usually turn the required number of oceans to "None". You still get some, but it won't reject worlds for the lack of oceans. If you love volcanos you can also turn up the minimum number of volcanos, but if you make that number too huge you'll get a lot of rejections.

The sixth screen is paydirt.

Mineral Scarcity starts at 2500, take that down to 500-1000 and you won't have trouble finding lots of sites with multiple minerals.
Megabeast caves: more = more chance of dragons, rocs, hydras and bronze colossus. I have a dream of someday catching a breeding pair of dragons, so I usually increase this number.
Semi megabeast caves: more = more chance of minotaurs, giants, ettins, and cyclops. Meh.
Changing Titans, Demons, Vampire curse, Werebeast curse or Secrets (necromancer) types to "none" will eliminate those things from your world.
Regional interaction, Disturbance, Evil Cloud and (on the next screen) Evil Rain change the side effects of evil biome types. If you used to enjoy evil biomes but hate them now, these things are the culprit. So if you enjoy dealing with harpies and skeletal carp like it used to be, but you don't enjoy husk zombies or having your refuse pile come back to life, changing these to None will give you back the old style evil zones.

Seventh screen has Evil Rain and Generate Divine Materials. Evil rain is usually just blood or mild sickness, rarely a fort ending disaster. I like to turn off Divine Materials, because in fortress mode the only effect is idiots with preference for materials that can't possibly exist in your fort. Not a big deal either way.

Eighth screen = :techno:

Ninth screen has cavern stuff. Ignore it if you like the default caverns.

If you set Caverns Layer Number to 0 you will have no underground seed available, no underground farming possible, which could be an interesting challenge if you want a surface fort. If you don't like caverns much but want all the stuff in them, setting Cavern Layer Number to 2 will still generate every kind of tree found in all three layers, but in two layers. Set it to 1 and you won't get the full variety of trees, but you will still get all the seeds for underground farming. The number of caverns doesn't affect the depth of the magma, so there isn't much reason to mess with it.

Z Levels Above Ground defaults to 15. I change it to 3. This greatly reduces (but can't eliminate) the chance of a flock of birds from chilling in the sky out of crossbow range, preventing all hunting. Once I had a goblin siege with flying mounts where just a couple of them got scared and moved into the high sky, but wouldn't leave, trapping me in the SIEGE state with no merchants. gently caress that noise. High skies are only useful if you like to construct high towers, and what kind of dwarf does that? It also obviously affects the maximum height of trees, so if you set it too low (below 5?) you may be costing yourself a little wood.
Z Levels Above Layer 1 is the minimum amount of space you'll have to build/mine before you hit the first cavern. So if you like to live near the surface and don't like unexpectedly breaching the cavern, you can increase this.
Natural Caves are where kobolds live. No caves = no kobolds in the world. Meh.
Make Caves Visible and Allow Init Embark Options to Show Tunnels will let you see stuff in embark mode, to help you choose a site. Or turn them off and be surprised.

The last screen is gibberish, so that's it, the end.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

reading posted:

This is why I hope Toady puts out a quick stop-gap fix to the bug where conquerers always win, resulting in near certainty of a retired fort getting wiped out as time goes on. Maybe he could just hard code a percentage chance for the siegers to lose. But someone pointed out that might mess other stuff up if he doesn't have the code available to handle a loss by the conquerers.

Or, it could be a goal of this LP world for some people to occasionally make an adventurer and personally assassinate the troublesome conqueror.

The easy conquest goes both ways. Liaison told me that some place had fallen a year ago, and that the same place had be recovered 6 months ago. So as long as your civilization is sufficiently aggressive, they may take fallen sites back. Not sure what happened to the refugees though, did they go back home, or settle elsewhere? :iiam:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orphan babies seem remarkably durable now. They don't throw themselves down wells into ponds. People actually bring them food and water when they need it. Some of the little beggers actually live long enough to become children. :unsmith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wahad posted:

What's the deal with food? I haven't played in ages, mind, but I started up the other day and my stocks are just hella low - and it's only autumn of the first year. Are farms no longer sustainable? Or did I just start with too few plump helmet seeds?

It seems the same to me.

Make sure you disable cooking for plump helmets. Cooking doesn't produce a seed, so you soon run out of seeds and life sucks. Brewing or eating raw preserves the seed. Once you've got the seed from brewing it is safe to cook the wine.

The number of plants is directly related to the skill of the farmer who plants them. A newbie farmer will get one plant per seed, a very skilled one can get up to 5. Turn off "all dwarfs harvest" in the (O)rders menu, so farmers will improve their farming skill faster. One farmer with high skill is better than 2 farmers with low skill.

The cheapest food in the embark screen is milk, in the extracts menu. 1 point per unit. You'll need a kitchen workshop to turn the milk into edible cheese, but your food workers can easily finish that before the miners get the farm rooms dug out.

Right now you may be able to save your dwarfs with Herbalism. Enable Plant Gathering on everyone not doing something crucial, then d - p to select plants to gather. Newbies will mess up and ruin a lot of plants for each one they successfully harvest. It's worthwhile to give a dwarf a couple points in herbalism at embark if you have the points to spare. If you are on a barren mountain or a glacier with no surface plants, dive for the first cavern layer and gather plants there (scavenging cavern plants will also replenish your seed supply).

Or if you have open water you can try enabling fishing on one or two dwarfs. You'll need a fishery to turn raw fish into edible fish. Some maps inexplicably seem to have no fish at all, and even if they do it will take your newbie fishermen a while to find anything. Usually gathering plants is more reliable in a pinch.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ProfessorGroove posted:

I think its more that there are so many children now there are a lot of extra mouths to feed. I don't think that bug about dwarves breeding like animals, technically speaking was actually fixed. They all pop out kids at the same time still for one.

Yeah, but now it is just the married ones. No more Jerry Springer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raws are icky, but if freakouts really bother you that much just add [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:1] to the creatures you want to toughen up. At 1 they still freak out occasionally, but not as often, so you don't wind up with half your fort frozen in horror staring at a single humanoid corpse in the refuse pile. 1 or 2 and civilians still react to things, seems like a good level. Make it 8 or something and you'll have some cold rear end mofos.

C:...\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.08\raw\objects creature_standard.txt is the file that has dwarfs, goblins, humans and elves.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

super fart shooter posted:

I haven't done this in a while so I might be remembering it wrong, but I think you have to use the kennel's "tame a small animal job" to tame the vermin, then you can transfer it to a cage or pit it into a room. You might have to be careful though, because I'm pretty sure that cats don't give a gently caress and will still kill your tamed vermin, so keep them out of the spider room.

Yeah, you really need to keep all the cats and falcons pastured. Then as a backup protect your spider room with an airlock of at least two or three tightly closed doors to try to keep out any new cats or kittens you miss.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IronicDongz posted:

I'm not sure it 100% makes sense for a dwarf's tongue to be covered in water just because he's been in the rain.

Wait until you see what happens when they get sweaty. Sweaty throat. Sweaty tongue.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prop Wash posted:

Huh, even the logs aren't really giving me any more information. A completely uninteresting Shearer went from alive to dead in the space of the two adjacent lines
"Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer cancels Clean Self: Resting injury.
Sazir Tunomdomas, Shearer has been found dead."

It looks like a handful of dwarves just dropped dead. I looked back through the logs and there's no combat or injuries that might have led to it.

edit: oh, I think I know what happened. There were some gray langurs running around outside. One must have entered the compound and scared my dudes into jumping into the fishing pond. I'd seen it happen earlier and foolishly left a couple of water squares uncovered. Lesson learned, but the fortress was lost!

I had something similar, dozens dead, endless brawling. I retired the fort and then immediately unretired it. 12 more dwarfs had died in the lost 2 weeks, but all the brawling stopped. Unfortunately they didn't get all the corpses cleaned up in the meantime, so soon there was miasma making the unhappy people miserable enough to start throwing tantrums and fights again.

I thought about retiring again, playing a new fort for 6-12 months and then going back. That should be enough time for any stray corpses to rot down to bone, and enough time for tempers to mellow out. But by then my FPS was down to 8, plus there was no iron on the map, so it hardly seemed worth the trouble to try to salvage the fort. For a fort you like it might be better than abandoning and restarting with 7 new guys.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What are these Kobolds up to?

quote:

3: Yariwitofi Cethutha Thifa, "Womencrevice the Mines of Panting", cave
Owner: Chladaslayrus, kobolds
Parent Civ: Thukukrimbus, kobolds
261 kobolds

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Glory of Arioch posted:

Oh, I get it.

I always have a tough time with trading with elven traders. My fortresses always end up using prepared meals as the backbone of their bartering, and there aren't convenient ways to free prepared meals from their (ostensibly wooden) barrels without making a stockpile of rotting individual meals. I usually just end up trading them raw gems.

If you're cooking roasts for sale you're probably getting big stacks and often getting only one or two stacks per barrel anyway, so you don't lose much space if you just forbid barrels from your prepared meal stockpile entirely. It also makes it easier to eyeball your supply of meals, so you don't unexpectedly run low. Just have a meal only stockpile somewhere between the kitchen and the depot and you're good to go.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Literally Kermit posted:

Don't dig a 1x1 stairway right up - make a 5x5 room and put the stairs up (breaching the water) on the opposite side of the stairs down (drain)

By the way, it is possible to smooth and carve fortifications into underground edge squares. Some people don't realize that. So you can have unwanted water drain off the map pretty much anywhere you want, you don't have to find an open map edge or drain it into an existing infinite water source.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

amuayse posted:

Pitting through use of zones is usually easier but caging doesn't require a shaft and is easier to time.

That reminds me, I've had a weird bug where attempting to pit goblins causes both the goblin and the dwarf moving them to be attacked. :stare: I guess they see him release the goblin and go "Die traitor!" or something. Is that a known bug?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm not seeing an abundance of minerals at all. In my current fort I had to dig down about 25-30 levels to find any ore, and it was tetrahedrite. That's all there was until I got to the lava sea.

Additionally frustrating, I'm seeing lots of caverns that are super tall, and then when you finally find the bottom there's no water or plants.

The default mineral frequency is sparse, you have to pick a more generous one when you generate the world.

Is your current fort in the mountains? The "bottom" of the world is fixed, so if you embark in a swamp or by the ocean the magma could be 100 levels down, while in the mountains it could be twice that. With more room to fill, the caverns can be bigger. (If you are a new player don't embark on the beach though, ocean wildlife is tricky to deal with.) Swamps are great, low lying land and they often contain pond turtles for an easy source of shells.

Dashticle posted:

Just to counterpoint this, the new version actually has made several things a great deal easier than I remember. Wood is extremely plentiful now that multitile trees are a thing, and I found it's much much easier to find a viable embark with lots of minerals/flux/water/whatever in this version due to a few changes.

It's mostly good stuff, the difficulty curve seems borked though. I'm getting A Vile Force of Darkness with iron weapons and iron helms/breastplates in my first year. Just one squad, but that's still impossible to deal with if all you have is 11 civilians with picks and axes. At that point all I can do is lock the front door and wait for them to wander off after a few months. So far the first squad to invade hasn't had building destroyers, so a locked door is enough to block them, but it is still annoying to deal with.

I was also getting necromancers the first year, the first one showed up before the dwarf caravan with an iron armed and armored zombie in tow. Fffff. That's when I turned off Secrets entirely, FU necromancers.

Newbies: If you are trying DF for the first time, or for the first time in a long while, you may want to turn use "Invaders: NO" setting in the DF starter pack for your first game. Trying to figure out the interface is hard enough without getting invaders that are literally impossible to beat in the early game. You can later turn invaders back on in the same game, when you are ready to ramp up the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dashticle posted:

Yeah I think I was actually pulling that out of my rear end, while I was disarming the goblins for execution I realised they actually have a mixed bunch of stuff, all the way up to high quality iron which is quite good. Also a Macelord showed up in the first attack and he escaped during Pitting which led to a minor loyalty cascade which I never personally experienced before (military dwarves who see a prisoner escape blame the dwarf transporting him and attack). So yeah, first year sieges are a bit tougher but still easy as long as you're not trying anything too elaborate.

It seems really random. One world I get goblins with iron weapons and iron/copper helms and breastplates. Another world the first "goblin" invasion is mostly elven recruits with no weapons at all. It isn't predictable.