Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

lowercase16 posted:

That was it! I just deleted that line and it everything's back to normal.

great! :shittydog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

[tap tap tap on the microphone]

releas

:frogc00l: posted:

Here's an interim release - this is a fixer-upper for the old version, and not related at all to the new graphical stuff. This isn't meant to address everything of course, or even most things, and we'll be cleaning up a lot more bugs and issues for the Premium release itself. This one gets rid of some long-standing crashes and also attempts to address most of what we learned from the stress discussion from the forum. There are still a few unmet needs (which don't contribute much to stress, but are an eyesore), and a few outstanding ideas related to winning sieges, ending wars and unattended children, but we'll need larger changes there that are better integrated with the Premium work.

It's always a little weird splitting the bug fixes into the two major/minor categories, but especially here, where the stress changes add up to a lot, so the division below is particularly arbitrary on that score.

Major bug fixes

Fixed w.g. crash related to dark fortress civs having fixed positions not held by demons
Fixed zero-size creature crash
Fixed off-site werebirth crash
Stopped visitors from siding against fort in any conflict where the fort's tame megabeasts are involved
Made cave adaption negative effects less frequent
Made people get used to seeing dead bodies
Stopped corpse raising, shapeshifting and non-living non-vampire visitors
Made basic friendships easier to form for slow-to-love people

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Made people that work outside a lot get used to bad weather
Made valuable food satisfy good meal thought in addition to preferences
Added some additional dwarf chat types to meet some other needs and reduce stress
Stopped many minor thoughts from forming memories
Removed stress from migrants (e.g. ones from old forts)
Vengefulness is no longer stressful (as it was mainly related to defending others from attacking animals)
Changed balance of migrant professions
Patched one form of military item corruption on load (root cause not identified)
Expulsion exception 'child not present' now only applies to minor children
Fixed MUNDANE and HAS_ANY_CAN_SWIM for interactions/transformations

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

ya, keep the "openness" bracket high and crush the "passage density" to nil

that'll get you some big underdomes

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

promising carl posted:

I don't suppose 47.05 works with the 47.04 starter pack?

not really, no

dfhack is extremely version sensitive, dwarf therapist is extremely version sensitive. they simply won't play ball with mismatched version numbers

clinodev did post a rickety .05 hack pack that you could try

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Popete posted:

Are there any repercussions to taking these merchant goods?

in a word? no

things lost by caravans in your territory, be it from banditry, your active theft in the depot or bugs, affect their disposition the same way. they're written off as losses and the next traders coming in will be more reserved in their stock to account for the menace that is thieves, highwaymen and dwarven water features

you can't un-crime the incident once the milk is on the ground, but you'll be fine as long as it doesn't happen repeatedly

e: actually answered the right half of the question: there's no harm in grabbing the loot once it's free-for-all

scamtank fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 7, 2021

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

you can ever, yes, but with the basic 0-100 spread having totally bone-dry is very unlikely.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Game mechanics news!!

Having arrived at rooms, we fairly quickly decided that, contrary to an earlier response in one of the Future of the Fortress questions, furniture-based rooms (like the bedroom flooding out from a single bed, whether it's an entire dormitory filled with beds or not) were not going to be survive. They would have been weird to tutorialize, since the idea that one piece of furniture rules over and determines the function of a room that could have all sorts of furniture in it is kind of strange. So now it's all done zone-style. You place a bedroom zone in the new system, for instance, by just laying out a rectangle (or whatever shape) and selecting that type. Have a bed placed there? Good. Don't have a bed? The floor is being suggested, and if you add a bed later, that'll work too. The logic for tombs, dining halls, archery ranges, some meeting halls, etc. is being tweaked a bit in line with this.

This has been a somewhat involved ongoing rewrite, but presumably no more than trying to explaining the old system. So this will be fine. We also have various exciting art movement on the underground vegetation and elf front, among other things, so we should have some more cool images soon as well.

The steampage news have had exciting screenshots about procedurally drawn statues too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm personally hoping that this will open the door for doing up the workshops in a similar manner.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

It would be kind of a pain in the rear end to have to manually zone build every mason and carpenter shop, unless you could have multiple dwarves work in the same shop.

yeah, the way i'm thinking is that you could dynamically scale the amount of workspace and tools in a single "shop", instead of just clone stamping the same ol' 3x3 plop-plops everywhere

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

my #1 is interacting with the gemcutter workshop in general

I have great news, then!

feb 11th Steam news posted:

... I've also redone the old jeweller's workshop screen (the old gem cutting interface was very baroque, to say the least.) It now works like a regular workshop. The same is true of seven other workshops previously inaccessible to our modding infrastructure. They all work like regular workshops now (the loom, the mechanic's workshop, the dyer, etc.)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

were they all glass blades that broke? somebody on the df discord had this to say:

quote:

I had iron menacing spikes in a weapon trap along with glass serrated disks. After one use on a critter the trap deconstructed, all the disks were XXserrated glass discXX but the spikes were undamaged.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

ah, happy worker's day to all toads and dworfs

Here's the Steam news post from last time showing the new lever interface and a barrels-show-their-contents update.

The trade depot stuff is going well. We have a new trade depot design that shows the goods of the traders on the top portion, and the fortress goods at the bottom portion, so you'll be able to more easily see what has been placed and who is ready. The traders stand on the north side of a little table in the depot, and the broker takes their place on the south side with the fortress goods. Wagons no longer pull all the way into the depot but stop short so nothing is obscured. Pack animals are shown with graphical saddlebags now to indicate roughly the number of items they are carrying.

I've also mostly finished up the new "bring stuff to the trade depot" screen. Even though it is easier to select things now, it's sort of fundamentally unsatisfying to have everything so centralized, so we'll likely also allow the player to select individual items or entire stockpiles to be brought to the depot as well. The next big project is the trade screen itself.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

wait toady hooold up, you kind of kept this from the log

:smugdog: posted:

Do you ever get tired of jobs never being finished, and of always having to tell your dwarves which labors they are allowed to accomplish? Now all dwarves will pick up the slack. Even children will have menial tasks to perform and keep the fortress running smoothly, all for the call of industry and the greater good. But nothing will be more difficult for those of you that desire greater control over how things get done, for everything will be easier and simpler. Fear not, for change, like death, is the vehicle for a greater rebirth.

Congratulations to the generous!

Thanks for helping out last month! I should finally be finishing off my move in May, and also my vaccination! Trade is coming along nicely, and the depots are looking much nicer. And yeah, we've started dipping our dwarfy toes into the labor additions. With the job auction system we had in place already, it wasn't so hard to get a basic automated labor selection in, but it will take some time to get the details correct and to continue to give people more control over job placement when they want it. This will all mix in with the workshop profile updates and updates to standing orders, and likely some other places.

April: $10368.45
March: $11024.03
February: $10831.06
January: $10584.13
December: $11154.80

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dwarf therapist is still a must-have I assume?

actually! dfhack has been packed with a good and cool Dwarf Manipulator plugin for a while now that's basically a DT labor management screen, but inside the game itself, accessed with a displayed hotkey in the unit list

it doesn't have personality analysis tools to suggest ideal professions for your dipshits, but you also don't need to manually refresh an extrenal app to do things

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Maugrim posted:

The update mentioned guilds allowing demonstrations of tricks of the trade so I wonder if there will be some kind of medical guild with surgeons doing live/public demonstrations - would not be too far away from actual historical precedent

yeah, doctors' guilds are totally a thing right now

the only challenge is accumulating enough medicinemans to get the petition off the ground

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

animist posted:

it's amazing that it now looks like a map instead of opening a jpeg in vim. im still a little nostalgic for the old look but i bet a lot more people will be interested in the game now

i haven't kept up with every speck of detail, so i dunno if they've addressed the matter, but i'm almost certain that the artists' work is resting on a foundation of modifiable map iconography

it's what everybody-wins looks like

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

aye, just reaching the elder scrolls level of mod application is pretty big

the work of reconciling overlap will stay the same, but having more than one mod in play without relying on the mercy of modder monks in their scribal chambers illuminating bespoke mergejobs will probably give much more room to small, special-focus mods that get combined at will instead of what we have now: the incentive of putting all changes into one massive overhaul that you plonk to exclusion of any other plonks, small advances having to propagate through other modders borrowing the great idea into their own chonkmods

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

official x64 executables have been a thing for years

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nessus posted:

* The coder gestured at the CPU!
* The CPU rose from the dead!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Right, different gods have different spheres and have thematically appropriate magic cloth and magic metal to clad their "angels" with. Pitch-black for night gods, undulating metal for ocean gods, shining metal and motes of light for light gods, twisted for chaos, and so on.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

nielsm posted:

Hopefully all the UI enhancements from DFhack will no longer be needed. Hopefully there will also be less need for hacks like "cleanall" etc.

The modding system is specifically for TXT+graphics mods, to add or modify items, creatures and buildings in the game. I think I saw somewhere that even the base game is packaged in the same format, so if you have a mod that contains everything you can disable the base game data and use the mod as a total conversion.

temper, temper

there's still plenty of the old mess to go around

I'm also fairly sure that uprooting the base raws will still leave all of the hardcoded stuff in, which continues to be a lot

TWBT should be obsoleted now though, thank goodness

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

right, especially with the more terrestrial light aquifers

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

nah, the problem was with the uneven pixel scaling

nearest neighbor resize made them all stanky, like the diagonal line raster on the cave wall

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

okay yes good yes I was just about to post about the grundled lines

give that one the MonkeyforaHead treatment and I am sold

scamtank fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 6, 2022

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

i really fell off the dorf thread wagon in 2016 when both of my parents carked it like 8 months apart and i had to uproot my entire life, but i've been conducting modding research sporadically and got really back into it this past summer

gonna be a good time to kick the first post back into shape

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

oh, is this a early access game?

profoundly!

realtalk though there's gonna be improvements and fixes and the interface, but this game is the same mess it's been the past year

the steam/itch release is just a very convoluted donation that also pays for the artists at kitfox, who tarn and zach employed to art the art

DF nu-graphics are the free tote bag awarded for pledging to public radio, so to say

in some weeks or months down the line, the steamver and the freever should only differ by the skin and soundtrack, all the bones will be the same

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

i've pried the steamver raws onto my comparison rack and it seems that Toady has deprecated architects entirely as a thing

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2898529592

horny begins

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I got heresy coming up: back then I once tried to make a mod that vastly cut down on the various subtypes of everything: wood, stone, animals, plants, you name it. I was sick of menus getting bloated to gently caress by all the various meats and leathers you could get, and things of that nature. I wonder if anyone made a mod like that and if it'll find its way to Steam eventually...

Modest Mod had an optional set of raws for such a thing, keep an eye out for its re-emergence

and I get it to a degree, that's why I've been working on a creature variation that takes giant creatures and makes them use the materials of their original root critters instead

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

wowie, I'm glad that forums are still a thing with nu-DF

you should see the de facto central DF discord, the misinformation grows faster and thicker than I can hack away at it

a slower format like this is so much better for figuring this tangle out

e: can I get an OP pass to the gang tag, i'll extract something funnī from my earlier output

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Have any of the old utilities been updated yet? Specifically looking for an update of quick fort and the thing that lets you see all the un-dug terrain.

get used to waiting for the memory hacking tools to catch up, it'll be a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

yeah, the new UI has some oversights and poo poo rough edges, being unable to make a single tile stair anymore is one of those