Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So I hadn't played for awhile and was just reminded why tunnelling straight to cave 3 is a bad idea.

Holy smoke the difference between a recruit and a proficient swordsdwarf is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I had an interesting encounter with df's water physics yesterday.

I dug a pipe underground connecting my hospital to the brook. Sadly, the floodgate I installed was by-passed by poor digging management on my side, and I flooded the hospital (I managed to get the door forbidden and tightly closed before it spread to the rest of the fortress: I didn't realise doors were water tight!)
My recovery plan was to dig a pit, drain some water into it and while the water level was low, install a new floodgate in the correct spot. This plan sort of worked, but cost me a few miners, and the water level never got low enough in the pipe for me to install the gate.

However, it did get low in the hospital. low enough that the water in the hospital all evaporated and it was fine to use.

Can someone explain to me how this works? The brook I'm drawing from is still above my hospital (in terms of elevation), why did the water pressure just stop? Is there anything I need to avoid which could remind the game to drown my hospital?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

AXE COP posted:

Do they really siege you just from trade offers? I thought it was tied to tree felling.

I've been executing elven traders without repercussions on a regular basis. I suspect only tree culling causes sieges, and upsetting or murdering traders just stops them from sending traders.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Met posted:

I much prefer this than rigid conditions where something happens everytime given the player's identical input.

Me too. I eagerly await the time when my 'gently caress off with your wooden swords' policy leads to a savage and horrible death of the fortress.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

I guess you could Forbid all cloth gear from the stocks menu? That should get them to drop it (everywhere) and go looking for new stuff. If you do you should do it one item at a time though, like all the cloth pants and then wait for them to pick up leather pants, then all the cloth shirts, and so on. Dwarfs go psycho when they are naked.

Alternately you could draft everyone into squads and have them put on a leather armor uniform. That is a bit better than just leather clothes, because they can wear leather boots instead of leather shoes. On the downside since they are technically soldiers they won't run away from danger.

If you remove them from the military afterwards would they remove all their armour and go back to cloth junk?

Unrelated: Today I lost a high master swordsman to an elk bird. Apparently a grand master fighter is useless against a big chicken without his sword...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

So one of my dwarves was cleaning himself by the well even after I installed dwarven baths. They're installed so that everyone has to walk through them to get anywhere important (like the well).
Strange! I better have a look at his inventory, maybe he's got something sticky on him...

He had dwarven blood on his guts and ribs (and has since healed back up)

Sorry dude, no amount of soap will help you there. Thankfully he too came to this realisation and went back to work.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Lareine posted:

I refuse to kill cats. Cats are our friends.

Dogs can gently caress right off though.

A few cats is useful for killing vermin. The rest are just causing lag and will be made into take away. Dogs can be made into stray war dogs which are useful for distracting invaders while civilians flee.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I've always avoided masterwork because DF is buggy and complicated enough as it is.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

My current fortress broke a little when my baron died... And became a ghost. The dwarves removed the title and nobody has been selected as a replacement. Oh well, no useless nobles!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cage traps are a pain in the rear end as you have to "process" all the prisoners afterwards. I'm planning on building something with lava so I still get their metal items and I don't have to do much.
What's the easiest way to build a latch in DF? I want the invaders to trigger a pressure plate that closes the door behind them, and can only be opened by a lever the dwarves control.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

scamtank posted:

Just make the "extraction door" some stairs and a hatch in the ceiling of the killroom. Hatches cannot be smashed from below.

I'm hoping to have a system where the invaders can path in to my fortress, getting as far as the killroom, and then are stopped where they are. Even with a hatch, I need some way of it being open (so they find a path) right up until they're in the killroom, and then it closes. Relying on dwarves to pull levers is a really great way of killing fortresses, in my experience.

edit: wiki saves the day: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Pressure_plate#Latching_Pressure_Plates

Splode fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 21, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Anyone have any tips to keep dwarves from drowning? There's a shallow brook (easily walked through) in my region. During winter I usually mine the ice for free mining experience. I have had a few dwarves drown this way and from what I can tell they sometimes just decide to loiter in the cold mud for no reason. I wouldn't care except that my original (embark) miner just managed to drown himself and it's kind of bumming me out.

Also, are arrow traps or spear traps a better way to spray blood? I'm trying to "decorate" a little, but I'm not necessarily trying to kill the source of blood.

Build some flood gates so when the brook melts you have time to get your dwarves out. I recommend building them both upstream and downstream, but just upstream would probably be fine.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

In my experience rivers/streams flood from both ends at thaw. I was hoping to avoid any more floodgates; my fortress is lousy with 'em.

I think militia got mostly fixed before the last release, but soap and ton of other things are still bugged to Hell.

I'm not sure whether he left contagion/deadly dust in the game as a Forgotten Beast effect, though. I've just been avoiding them.

I've had soap working again somehow, but I do remember when it used to end with a bunch of dwarves comically slipping on the soap cancelling their clean self job forever.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Is there any way to stop dwarves getting resources from other workshops of the same type? I have 2 furniture shops with the dwarves stealing the blocks from each other in an infinite loop.

You can assign workshops to only pull from a certain stockpile?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I have always started fortresses by digging into the side of a mountain, or a hill if I have to. Starting your fortress with a downward stairway in a meadow? What are you a hobbit?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's actually really fun to build like a human. Big, open quarry, build an abbey or castle instead of a fortress. Aboveground crops only. Etc. It's especially Fun if you, like a proper noble, demand that all your farm/farmers and simple laborers stay outside the castle walls except in the event of a siege.

How do you deal with Trolls and other building destroyers? Or is that just part of the 'Fun'?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I recently had a miner dig out a wall and flood the tunnel with lava (intentional). He got away just fine!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Catsplosion posted:

It can be rather annoying. Especially when your dwarves continually cancel picking up shoes for no reason whatsoever. I think it's an old bug that can continue to happen, although often it is due to better items being created / available.

After the first 20, I stop microing my dwarves. Ignore them all, let dwarf therapist sort'em out. I tend to rely on "surely one of these idiots is set to *job*" and I'm usually fine. If not, I pick an idler or planter at random (peasants are usually legendary swordsdwarves off-duty). The only time I micro from then on is with trying to get the idiotic legendary soldiers to wear the nice adamantine poo poo I made for them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I stopped doing a central stairwell once I started building forts with controllable secure water supplies. One stairwell is a huge problem when you've accidentally started flooding your fortress as it can be tricky to isolate.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

My biggest complaint with tilesets is that they just replace the ascii characters, so an ascii character used to describe two different things doesn't make sense in the tileset.
I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but a lot of the plants end up looking like gears or armour or something, and it becomes even more confusing.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Speaking of ascii, that guy that came up with the dfhack plugin for separating tiles and text? He went one furhter and is showcasing multi-level rendering:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.105

Wow. Combine that with that isometric overlay thing and you've got ACTUAL GRAPHICS.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

my dad posted:

The UI is the least important thing because that's something someone other than Toady can do.

The living world, on the other hand, is the most amazing new development since DF went 3d.

Living world + retiring forts. next patch, it'll be less dwarf fortress and more dwarf empire.
Every fortress will be really different. You might suddenly stop getting migrants, you might get more than you can cope with.
You might be besieged by a goblin army led by a demon, kill them all, and never be besieged again.
You might find traders never come!

Also, I imagine we'll get some absolutely amazing and hilarious bugs.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

My solution for archer training is to set them all as hunters and ignore all the military training options. They practice by shooting the living poo poo out of the wildlife instead of targets, and when invaders arrive, they tend to already be carrying a crossbow and bolts, and tend to already be outside where they can shoot. Usually lets a bunch of civilians escape back to the fortress.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Dwarves attempt to comfort sad invaders and vice versa

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Just had a go at adventure mode. I was offered a dwarven hero, and began in a fortress. I was horrified to see how many goblins were there, accepted amongst the dwarves.
So I committed some racial hate crimes until I was overwhelmed and killed.

Then, as an elven peasant, I killed a human farmer and ate his brain in front of his friends.

Adventure mode is fuckin' weird.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It was sort of odd since I could target myself for attacks but it instantly crashed the game.

I wonder if you're an entity with two personalities or two entities welded together. When you got attacked, for example, did both copies get attacked? Did bother suffer the same damage? is it possible for your AI clone to be killed, and for you to survive, or possible for you to die but your ai clone to live on?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I used to have a pretty convential skill set, but my new recent strategy works really well, because all of the skills you need at the start are easy to learn.

1. Fighter with a point in teaching
2. Doctor
the rest are peasants.

medical skills are hard to teach as you tend not to have too many opportunities to learn (and when you do, the pressure is on as patients will die if they're not treated quickly).
Fighting skills are easy to teach via training and hard to teach a bunch of idiots. I seem to get much better results when I have a skilled teacher as opposed to putting a bunch of recruits in a barracks and telling them to work it out.

Every other skill can be learnt the slow way.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never had any success with doctors. Even when I got migrants with tons of medical skills super high they didn't seem to do anything. Partly because by the time they got around to helping a dwarf they either healed on their own or bleed out in bed. The rest of the time their surgery would range from ineffective to actively harmful. I've had dwarves contact necrotic diseases that partially rotted their skin, and the doctors response was to peel every inch of skin off their body. Naturally, this killed them.

Hospitals are one of the hardest things to set up, I enjoy setting them up the same way I enjoy setting up a sustainable, secure underground water source with a well. It's not something you just throw down, like a farm or even a metal working set up. However, I find it's totally worth it.

They won't help you with forgotten beast deadly dusts or anything, but I usually set up wading pools to clean my dwarves coming up from the mines.

HOWEVER
Your dwarves, particularly your veteran soldiers become considerably more resilient. Previously fatal injuries from mining or goblins are now not fatal, and dwarves that can't crawl back to the fortress are rescued to a central location, and are considerably less likely to die of thirst in their bedrooms. Dwarves suffering from missing limbs are given a crutch in a timely manner.
This is a huge boon, your legendary fighters often end up having 3 times longer lives, and you won't notice they're missing an arm and a leg in combat, most of the time, because they're still so ridiculously deadly in combat, and dwarves seem to be ambidextrous.

Make soap though, or infections will reduce the effectiveness of your hospital considerably.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Harmonica posted:

Not to try to dissuade you from your dirty topside dwelling ways, but getting a good old underground farm going is usually a good idea. It can form the backup (if not the backbone) to your more exotic brewing industry and ensures that, in the event you don't particularly want to head outdoors to gather plants or butcher thripmen, you can just sup on plump helmet biscuits (it consists of finely minced plump helmet with plump helmet) and plump helmet wine until the danger passes.

Also, seriously, one large migrant wave can crush your supplies pretty hard if you don't have a good backlog, and just having vast mushroom filled chambers is pretty awesome.

Underground farms are really handy. The way I set up my fortresses, I can safely ignore sieges unless there's a migrant wave or caravan, and the only forgotten beasts I need to worry about are the building destroyers. A true dwarf is completely indifferent to the surface world.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Mystery Machine posted:

So I decided to play some DF considering the new patch!

I boot up my fortress, while I'm watching my initial bit of fort be dug out, I find out that 3 of my guys died to a tick woman.

10/10, would lose again. Poor suckers never stood a chance.

Hehe

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Is it possible to train dogs who are already the pets of dwarves?

I put two dogs into an Activity Zone, turned on Training and Pen/Pasture, walled off the area and put in a doorway that it tightly shut. Went to my trainer who has animal training and trapping enabled, pressed P for preferences, but he says that there are no animals left to train...

I dunno...

Nup, pets are unavailable.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I was just "visited" by a Marsh Titan, and I spent like 10 minutes getting everything set up for a bloodbath. All my alerts were set, the drawbridge was ready to be raised, and I set my archers and swordsdwarves to the forefront.

The beast started Farmpocalypse by kicking a peachick into a tree, followed by hurling a water buffalo at a nanny goat. It killed several more barnyard animals before my archers decided to rush headlong at the beast rather than shoot them (I didn't realize they didn't have ammo). And I was expecting the worst.

Of course, Urist McCrossbow bashed off both of its legs and its lower torso in three successive strikes, before my swordsdwarves even got there. :shepface:

I guess being made out of salt doesn't make you a hardy titan.
Oh well, back to work...

I've had some very interesting fights with Forgotten beasts made out of weird stuff. I've had recruits die to a horrible monster in seconds before a reasonably experienced dwarf killed it in one hit. Monster was made out of sand/water/blood/other things that are not good to make your monster out of.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

It used to be a thing many versions ago where constructions didnt catch fire, but the materials they were made of did. So you had eternally burning pillars or walls throwing out smoke from the !!fungiwood logs!!.

This says some worrying things about the code.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Honestly we should start to think about what hilarious bugs adrenaline will cause.

Butcher McUrist screams in battlefurry as he attacks the partly butchered corpse.

This is the problem

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Dwarves don't eat fruit.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

The fact that 'no weapon' is a valid choice for melee weapon is infuriating.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Also came across this in the forums:
"On the other hand, Toady should implement wear on weapons,"
no no no no no no no

Yeah that'd be a really bad idea.
You'd have another source of useless decayed items (like damaged clothes) cluttering up your fortress and lagging everything, and you'd lose the neat history of a weapon. I mean, obviously named weapons would be excepted from wear, but even regular weapons can get interesting histories even before they are named. I love that you can reclaim your fort and find the exact breastplate worn by the legendary axedwarf from a hundred years earlier, that poo poo is cool, and good for fantasy story telling. Hopefully toady will realise this, and not implement it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Maarak posted:

What's the best way to deal with a were-creature that wanders onto the map? All it takes is one bite to infect, so within 2 moons nearly everyone is dead or a werechinchilla.

What actually happens when you have a whole fortress of were-creatures? Is it temporary bouts of craziness once a month, with otherwise normal operation? Because that would be pretty awesome.

Are were-creatures hostile to each other?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Why? Halls slick with blood and vomit are normal for a mature fortress.

One of these days I'm going to dedicate a dwarf to cleaning. No other labours.

loving TROLL BLOOD JESUS. Looks like someone blew up a glowstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

Actually, you can use dwarven bathtubs to stop this from happening.

code:

______   ______/
/      |3|

just dig a small trench and fill it with 2 or 3 level water. Dwarves will happily pass this shallow water, washing themselves clean.

Or you could just install doors and have the main hallway eventually drain off the corner of the map somewhere and flush your fortress once a year or so.

I do use these actually to prevent forgotten beasts with deadly powder from wiping out the fortress. Doesn't help the walls stay clean though.