Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Shibawanko posted:

But using adamantine for cloaks seems so wasteful if it's just going to wear down and become useless after a while. And there's no way to prevent wear right?
Not that I know of. The "simplest" solution would be to write a script which periodically (e.g. start of each season) iterates through clothing items and reverts the wear-state of anything metallic.

Artifacts are immune to wear, but that's probably not a useful approach: trick game into believing that you have twenty artifact adamantine cloaks ... fortress wealth rises by several billion ... next migration wave includes 206 cheesemakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

That's my carpenter drowning in a lake.
I just had a similar experience.
  • Diplomat from the human civilization arrives. No big deal; I'll just lower the drawbridge...
  • Diplomat is a marmot demon with noxious secretions; marked as a Deity. No big deal; I've seen those impostors before. They're usually harmless.
  • Before I can lower the drawbridge, diplomat happily swims through the magma-filled moat and enters the fortress. Oooooookaaaaay.
  • Diplomat meets with the Duke.
  • Diplomat wades back out through the magma moat.
  • Diplomat hops into the nearby volcano. Apparently he has decided to exit the map by following a complex route through the magma sea and caverns (even though he entered via the surface, and I haven't even discovered the caverns yet).
  • Diplomat swims around inside the volcano for a few months, about 10 z-levels below the surface. Doesn't really go anywhere or do anything.
  • Diplomat apparently gets frustrated by his inability to leave the map and goes berserk.
  • Crossbow squad is placed on high alert. This guy can breathe magma and he secretes poison; I'm going to avoid getting to grips with him if possible.
  • Diplomat continues to float about. Berserk status apparently uses a "kill on sight" policy - since the diplomat can't actually see anyone, he's happy to just hang out in his volcano.
  • Overall, "settling down in a nice volcano and maybe emerging to slaughter the nearby dwarves" seems like a much more appropriate fate for a demon than "performing diplomacy for a bunch of humans." I decide to simply leave him there. Perhaps he can adopt one of the local Fire Imps as a pet.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

You'd need a custom reaction to turn the wood into actual metal bars. I'm not sure how you'd make it so it's just that type of wood and not any wood though.
code:
[REACTION:REFINE_METALWOOD]
	[NAME:refine iron cap to iron]
	[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
	[REAGENT:ironwood_log:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:IRON_CAP:WOOD]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:IRON][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
	[SKILL:SMELT]
	[AUTOMATIC]
	[FUEL]
I'm assuming that the plant matter would be essentially an ore rather than pure metal, and would therefore require refinement at a smelter. This approach is untidy (it requires a separate custom reaction for each tree species: brasswood, silverwood, etc) - you could improve it by using templates instead:

code:
[PLANT:IRON_CAP]
	[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
		[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:METALWOOD_REFINEMENT:INORGANIC:IRON]

[REACTION:REFINE_METALWOOD]
	[NAME:refine metalwood to metal]
	[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
	[REAGENT:metalwood_log:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE]
		[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:METALWOOD_REFINEMENT]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:metalwood_log:METALWOOD_REFINEMENT]
		[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
	[SKILL:SMELT]
	[AUTOMATIC]
	[FUEL]

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 27, 2014

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

ENSENDA CURES MAIL posted:

My rope reed seeds seem to disappear and I'm pretty sure they're being cooked or brewed. But there's no option to turn off cooking them in the kitchen stocks menu? Is this a bug? Where are they going? I have workflow jobs set to process them automatically.
If you don't have any items of a particular type in-stock at the moment, then it's automatically removed from the Kitchen menu (for the sake of brevity).
  1. Pause the game.
  2. Using z>Stocks or the k menu, select a seed.
  3. Enter the following command:
    pre:
    changeitem m PLANT:GRASS_REED_ROPE:SEED
  4. Move the cursor to a plant. Enter the command:
    pre:
    changeitem m PLANT:GRASS_REED_ROPE
  5. Open the z>Kitchen menu. You should now be able to disable cooking of Rope Reed plants and seeds.
Other possibilities:
  • If you're using the seedwatch plugin, then check its settings. If it's configured improperly then it can spontaneously re-enable cooking of your plants and seeds.
  • Keep an eye on your farms. I don't have much experience with above-ground farming; I suppose it's possible that the seeds are being planted normally but then the growing (or mature?) plants are being killed by frost.
  • Wandering animals (such as Kea birds) can steal items, but they target high-value stuff so it's very unlikely that they'd raid your crops.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Although as far as I can tell masterwork can't solve the many outstanding bugs and pains inherent in the beekeeping industry.
My workaround:
  • alter the honey bee raws in creature_insects.txt. Remove [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING].
    • Wild hives of honey bees will no longer appear anywhere.
  • Generate a new world (because you've altered raw files).
  • Embark in a non-freezing, non-mountainous, non-evil biome (or at least choose an embark area which is large enough to include a few eligible tiles).
  • You should see a few wild hives (of bumblebees, termites, etc). Your dwarves will ignore them.
    • If you don't see any wild colonies then the location is probably ineligible (e.g. high elevation); choose a different site.
  • Build some hives. Disable collection on them.
  • Run the DFHack command "colonies bees" to alter the existing wild hives into honey bees.
    • Your beekeepers will now grab the wild colonies and transplant them into your hives.
    • The wild colonies will regenerate over time, but you beekeepers will keep ignoring them.
    • When wild colonies despawn (which occurs periodically) you won't get the problem of beekeepers standing in one spot for weeks at a time.
    • Beekeepers will not charge suicidally into ambush/siege forces in order to gather wild swarms.
  • You can build additional hives and flag them for collection; your non-collectable hives will serve as a permanent reservoir.

quote:

That's probably a good thing, because you can't manipulate honey through the Kitchens screen.
It definitely shows up in my kitchen screen, but then again I've altered my raw files quite a bit.

The finished goods thing is different - honey (and other extracts) will normally be placed in Food stockpiles. It will get glommed into Finished Goods stockpiles only because it's inside a Jug whose standard container is a Bin (as governed by the [STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:???] parameter in d_init.txt). If you abstain from using bins (e.g. because you're employing minecarts and quantum stockpiles) then that particular problem won't arise. Alternatively, you could try modding jugs ([SIZE:3001] in item_tool.txt) so that they're too large to fit inside a bin. It would be a disruptive hack (jugs would become fairly heavy and would slow down your haulers) but it would probably work.

And yeah, the value+quantity for mead is very underwhelming. Someone (scamtank, maybe) posted a fix for that issue ages ago. That particular fix also eliminated royal jelly, because it's just a pain-in-the-rear end item which complicates your workflows and fill up all of your jugs.

Milk and cheesemaking, on the other hand, are fine so long as you're using DFHack. Setup a worfklow constraint on Milk and a "Milk Creature" repeating job. Whenever a creature is eligible for milking, the job gets un-suspended and some peasant will grab a bucket. Setup a similar constraint + job for cheesemaking. Then forget about it forever and you'll have a steady trickle of cheese into your kitchens.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

KERNOD WEL posted:

I want to put some tigers, grizzly bears, or other vicious animal in my dry moat for extra fun. Do they need to consistently eat meat in the same way that herbivores need to graze, or are they ok with the occasional kobold? I might give my vampire an axe and throw him in there too; the rear end in a top hat keeps getting elected mayor despite being entombed in a bare cell.
Non-grazing animals will subsist on air; they do not need to eat (and will certainly not attempt to eat prisoners - a few species are supposed to devour bones but I don't recall whether they actually do so). Remember that they will eventually die of old age and that they can usually be shot by goblin bows (when standing on the banks of the moat), so you'll need a replenishment strategy such as:
  • a captive-breeding program
  • a reliable cage-trap setup
  • a flourishing trade relationship with the elves

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

GenericOverusedName posted:

Remember that bug where deconstructing walls teleports stuff around? Yeah, that's back.
It never went away; you were just using a binpatch to suppress it. Wait a few weeks and there'll be a new binpatch available (or maybe Toady will fix it properly during a bugfix pass).

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Gus Hobbleton posted:

That must be something that was either added or removed; I don't have those options at all in 40.01.
Nah, I just checked and it's included in 40.01.

[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

The more general problem of "dwarf hauls entire bin out to retrieve one sock, ignoring the second sock right beside it, and the hauls the entire bin back to the stockpile" tends to diminish over time. The game has a queue of hauling tasks, and any dwarf who picks up a container can "intelligently" gather several items in one trip. The big obstacle is that the maximum number of enqueued tasks is based on the number of haulers in your fort - so your queue might consist of a "haul one seed" and a "haul one sock" task. During the early game (when manpower is at a premium) you're most likely to see stupid/wasteful trips. Fiddling with the config options won't fix that; you're better off simply excluding containers from stockpiles wherever it's feasible to do so, until you get an influx of migrants and you can start organizing poo poo properly.

Or just setup some minecart routes and dump-enabled Track Stops so that you can pile everything into 1x1 stockpiles and ignore bins forever.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Roctavian posted:

Are there any bugs related to training crossbowmen? I set up a room with archery targets, I have enough crossbows and ammo, all my ammo is set as "okay for training AND combat," my squad is active/training, they're assigned to the room... but they're just not doing anything.
Do you mean "I've set up a barracks (from an [armor stand | weapon rack | chest]) whose area happens to include some Archery Targets"? Because that's not sufficient. You need to setup a room from the Archery Target itself. This room can encompass multiple Archery Targets, but the key thing is that it will have a directional designation (such as "Shoot from Left to Right") which must be set correctly. As with a barracks, the archery training room must also be designated training use, by the appropriate squad(s), via the ZTIQ+- keys. The final point (which is tedious/annoying) is that you must do the whole q-menu thing for each Archery Target independently. Don't worry if the resulting room-definitions overlap with each other (it doesn't cause any problems). Be sure to set the correct shooting direction, squad assignment, and training option on all of them.

The archery training area can overlap with a normal barracks-training area, but that probably isn't a good idea - especially if you're using metal bolts. A pair of sparring dwarves might grapple each other right into the line-of-fire and get punctured.

Other stuff:
  • do you have quivers?
  • has each of the marksdwarves equipped a quiver?
  • do the equipped quivers contain bolts?
  • does the marksdwarf squad also have a regular barracks+training area assigned to them?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What does it probably mean if I set up a minecart track, define the haul route, there are no exclamation points indicating a problem, the minecart gets filled to 100%, but then is never hauled?

I confirmed that my guys have push/pull enabled, the depart directions are right, etc.
Under the Advanced hauling-stop departure options, switch from the default policy ("x% of desired items") to the alternative ("x% of any items"). Create a fallback policy (e.g. "75% of any items after 14 days") to guard against edge-case scenarios. Ensure that the start and endpoints are both accessible and that there aren't any burrow-restriction shenanigans which might interfere.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Selklubber posted:

Well not two years fixing bugs. After some months doing new stuff he could take a break from that, spend some weeks fixing bugs then going back to the new stuff. The bug where dwarves stand on the tile they're trying to build a wall on for example.
That one was fixed a few days ago.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

What do I need to do to make my dwarves mature into adulthood by, say, 3 years old?

Also, which way do I set the pop caps so I DON'T get any more migrants than absolutely necessary, but CAN have a fortress absolutely covered in babies?
pre:
creature_standard.txt
[CREATURE:DWARF]
	[CHILD:12]
	[CHILD:3]
	[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
	[BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
	[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]
	[BODY_SIZE:3:0:60000]
Only the first change is strictly necessary, but a working three-year-old will take ages to complete tasks because he's too small to handle things properly. Hence the second change.

Baby fortress is mostly luck-of-the-draw. I'm using [BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000] and I had ~40% children in my last fort. One migrant father showed up with eight kids and no spouse :shrug:.

If you're really committed to the idea, then:
pre:
creature_standard.txt
[CREATURE:DWARF]
	[CASTE:FEMALE]
		The gender tag lets it know how breeding works.
		[FEMALE]
		[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
		[LITTERSIZE:5:10]
Now each birth will include five to ten rugrats and you'll soon be overwhelmed by babies. Just set your population cap to whatever you want; you'll have enough native-born dwarfs to hit the cap and probably exclude any risk of migrants after wave 4. Note: I'm assuming here that you're running 40.06 - it would take longer if you need to wait for marriages.

dragon_pamcake posted:

EDIT: Dorfs can have TWINS!? :3:
If you're running 40.06 then twins can probably have twins. Close scrutiny of the Relationships screen may be a bad idea.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Thanks buddy.

Although now I'm imagining a situation where the dwarves start small and hit maturity almost immediately, but just keep growing, forever and ever until they eventually die, but I don't know if that's possible here. Or could I just add a bunch of tags there that slowly hike up the body size each year until some very high max that no dwarf will live to?
Could be risky. I tinkered with multi-sapient-caste civilizations a few years ago, and one key principle was that adult body size of the dominant species determines equipment usability. Imagine that you somehow spawn a single super-child within an otherwise-normal fort (e.g. because you modified the Raw files of a Fortress Mode saved game, adding a Wunderkind Caste to the Dwarf creature definition). Your tailors will be cranking out shirts and trousers for 60000 cm3 folks. Urist McBean hits age seven, grows to 70000 cm3, and suddenly he has to wear the "large" stuff that you've bought from the Human caravan. At age ten, he grows to 100000 cm3 and he'll no longer be able to find anything suitable. Once his current clothes rot off his body (around age 11?), you'll have a freakishly large child overcome with humiliation at his constant nudity. He does not fit into dwarven society and he's only going to get bigger. Perhaps you can keep him boozed up and sit him under a waterfall 24/7. But your attention will falter; his pet will die or his best friend will get eaten by trolls or he'll decide to Attend a Party and suddenly get a big whack of social shame. At that point, it's a tossup whether he ends up Melancholy or Berserk.

Disclaimer: this is speculation based on half-remembered tests in DF2012. If you start a new fortress with a bunch of gargantuan adults (rather than introducing new castes) then the equipment-eligibility stuff might just sort itself out neatly. But be aware that your experiment might end up with Of Mice and Men rather than Ender's Shadow.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Are hospitals still hell to set up? Traction bench construction, constant food and water delivery, plaster poo poo, etc?
No. The overstocking problem has been fixed. Traction benches and plaster were never really necessary; just keep a few splints handy and you'll be fine.

quote:

Do you still basically need danger rooms to adequately train a military?
No. Dwarves will spar much more frequently and thereby train combat skills.

quote:

Does the game still chug to a crawl eventually no matter what you do because of the game keeping track of EVERYTHING FOREVER?
Yes. It's worse now, because the game is simulating the entire world in the background. You can mitigate the old fortress-FPS issues in check by magma-dumping excess clothing/furniture/etc, and control the new world-sim load by playing on small worlds with short histories.

quote:

Catsplosions?
Unchanged, I think. DFHack allows you to euthanize (or exile from the map) the pets of citizens, so you're able to eliminate them entirely if they're causing problems.

quote:

Is royalty still useless and annoying?
Yeah, but that's a feature.

quote:

Is justice still "gently caress dwarves up with a hammer"?
Yes, but if you're willing to do a bit of micromanagement then you can usually get dwarves imprisoned rather than murdered.

quote:

What are the main changes for someone who kinda sucks at it?
  • World history continues during gameplay. Diplomats will inform you about sites being conquered, the succession of noble lineages, etc.
    • Similarly, you can retire a fortress to let it run in the background while you setup another fortress (or pursue an adventuring career) and then resume management of it later. Assuming, of course, that it doesn't get conquered by goblins in the interim. That tends to happen a lot, because the code is buggy at the moment.
  • Trees are now multi-tile and yield multiple logs when felled. They're also pretty.
  • Lots of minor quality-of-life bugfixes.
  • Textile industry is slightly more productive, because shearing an animal can now yield multiple units of hair.
  • Mining was overhauled slightly - the probability of yielding a boulder when mining is now fixed (instead of skill-based) and is much lower than it used to be. To compensate, smelting a single boulder yields multiple bars of metal. Boulders are also really loving heavy.
    • Net result: less rock clutter, but you're pretty much forced to use wheelbarrows and minecarts for long-distance rock hauling.
  • Modders have made some noteworthy additions to the game, such as multi-Z-level rendering. You can also fling corpses at your enemies via catapults (and watch them trace out actual ballistic arcs!), which is hilarious although not very effective.
  • Creatures have emotions and will panic when they see scary things.
    • This is currently over-tuned; invaders will sometimes abandon a siege and flee the map after glimpsing a single Deer carcass.
  • Movement speed and action/combat speed are decoupled. It's possible to have a fast-moving creature (e.g. cheetah) which can easily catch up to its foes but which doesn't get to attack ten times per round.
  • There is an abundance of new plants and fruits (seriously... there are 4 different varieties of millet). Most of them can be turned into alchol.
  • Creatures (including your dwarves) can climb trees. Invaders can climb your walls. If your defensive strategy relies heavily on walls, then there are ways to inhibit climbing.
  • You can put an absolute cap on your population (which helps to control FPS stagnation).
  • Dwarves have dreams and aspirations (such as "I want to create a masterwork item"). You're free to ignore them, of course - they just provide a minor happiness boost if they're achieved.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Gus Hobbleton posted:

When was it fixed? In 40.04 I was still getting every single piece of thread and cloth in my fortress being brought to my hospital until I had about ten million supplied out of 10 thousand requested of each.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

You are a nerd posted:

Wasn't there something in the last long hiatus about updating leather production? Because I just got 400+ meat chunks from a Roc that wandered into a buzzsaw trap, but only 2 units of leather.
Just mod it. The following is borrowed from someone in the previous Dwarf Fortress thread (and they probably borrowed it from bay12 so giving credit to the original author is :effort:).

material_template_default.txt
pre:
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
	[ROTS]
	[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:GLOB:NONE]
	[STOCKPILE_GLOB]
	[DO_NOT_CLEAN_GLOB]
A butchered/slaughtered animal will now drop a stack of (Cow Skin [14]) instead of a (Cow Skin). This new item is treated in the same way as a stack of fat or tallow: it can be hauled as-is without the aid of a bucket, it appears as an option for inclusion in Food stockpiles, it can be moved via minecart (presumably for quantum-stockpiling purposes), and it can be crammed into barrels if storage space is scarce.

reaction_other.txt
pre:
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE]
	[NAME:tan a hide]
	[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_T]
	[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN]
	[REAGENT:A:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN]
		[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT]
		[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]  !! this is optional; see below !!
	[PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT]
	[SKILL:TANNER]
	[AUTOMATIC]
The [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] tag demands that the reagent be a CORPSE or CORPSEPIECE. Our skins are now GLOBs (which makes them ineligible), so we just omit that tag from the reaction definition and then everything's fine. Tanning (which still occurs automatically) will now process your (Cow Skin [14]) into 14 individual units of (Cow Leather).

Note that this reaction occurs "all at once" by default - the entire stack is converted in a single job (like Rendering a stack of fat in a Kitchen, but unlike Spinning a stack of wool or Carving a stack of bones into figurines). If you feel that tanning ought to be a slow (or labor-intensive) operation then you can include the [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] tag after the reagent and then the aforementioned stack of Cow skin will require 14 consecutive jobs.

"Consecutive" is the key word - dwarves cannot split stacks, so multiple Tanneries are useful only if you're attempting to process skins from several animals simultaneously. If you manage to bring down a Forgotten Beast which yields a 200-stack of skin then you'd better hope that you have a Legendary tanner, because otherwise that thing is going to rot before you've processed a tenth of it. Or you can just use the default "all at once" reaction and bask in your unearned Leather bounty, you easymode casual-gamer. Note that dwarves earn experience points based on "number of jobs completed" rather than "number of products created" - dwarves will learn more from the consecutive version than the batch-processing version.

You can make these changes in a saved game and see what happens. The next butcher/slaughter job should yield a full stack of skin and it should be processed automatically, but the new skin options may not appear in your Food stockpiles (which would force you to site your Tanneries near the Butcher's Shop). If your saved fort has any old skins lying around, then they'll presumably be ineligible for the new Tanning reaction; you'll need to dispose of them before they stink up the place.

A new worldgen is the safest bet but isn't strictly necessary. A new worldgen would, however, allow you to plan for the adjusted resource balance in the initial months. You know that slaughtering your draft animals will yield a few dozen units of leather, which can be turned into bags, so perhaps you can cutback on embark gimmicks (e.g. "I'll bring one unit of each type of sand so that I can get free bags") and instead give one of your starting dwarves a few ranks in Leatherworking.

Note: this mod doesn't use the new reaction features, so it can be applied to both .34.11 and .40.xx.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Crimson Harvest posted:

I really want to make this work out for me, but what happens is the tanner grabs the stack of skin AND a skull, takes them to the tannery and works on them for a while, finishes, but neither reagent is consumed and produces nothing.

I re-did the raw edits and now the butchered animal produces a stack of skin as expected, but nobody's interested in doing anything with it beyond putting it in the food stockpile.
The first problem (skull and skin) occurred because you copy-pasted all of the text from the code snippet; the strikethrough denoted original text which was intended to be removed.

If you made a similar change to the material_template_default file then that would explain the second problem. The ellipsis meant "there's some extra stuff here that I've omitted for the sake of brevity; just skip past it until you get to the part that says [ROTS] and then paste in the new stuff." If you replaced the entire definition of the SKIN material with three dots and some glob stuff, then skin no longer has a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tag and so your dwarves can't do any tanning.

Fix: revert your material_template file, then re-apply the change (you should be pasting three additional lines at the end of the SKIN definition and removing/replacing nothing). Ensure that the reaction definition contains only one reagent (the "glob" one).

I admit that this is largely my fault; it would have been less confusing to post ready-to-use final text instead of "add this and remove that" markup. But the delta approach is more mod-friendly and (I hope!) it helps people to understand the changes rather than treating the raw files as arcane runes written in ancient neckbeardese.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

reading posted:

I added new toys in the toys raw, but they never ever show up. What's the deal?

I did name one of them figurine, but I think the game already has figurines hard coded as a craft. Is that messing it up? My new food items get used.
Add your new item types to entity_default.txt. You'll find entries for the existing ones, such as [TOY:ITEM_TOY_MINIFORGE]; copy-paste those and insert the names of whatever you've added to item_toy.txt. You'll need to generate a new world.

New "figurines" are fine; the game doesn't care about duplication or ambiguity of user-facing strings. Your new item would be something like ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_FIGURINE, which can exist alongside FIGURINE:NONE. If you intend to stockpile them separately then you'll run into some confusion, but that's a self-inflicted injury so :meh:.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Dreggon posted:

legendary clothier asked to create large amount of clothing for increasingly-naked fortress

assigned workshop, plenty of materials

does not work

told to construct additional clothing shop

does so, then goes on break

gently caress you, clothier
  • the Clothier has been assigned to the wrong burrow. Fix it.
  • the cloth has claimed for hospital use. You're screwed. Note: this problem is unlikely if you're running an up-to-date version of the game.
  • standing orders dictacte that he must "Use Dyed Cloth." There are fifty available bolts of cloth, but it's all undyed and so he can't touch it. Start dyeing or change the order.
  • the submitted order was "Make Cloth Trousers." There are fifty bolts available, but it's all yarn spun from the wool of the fortress' llamas. Since he can't find any plant-fiber cloth, he's forced to report failure and cancel the job. Remove the old order and submit a new one for Yarn pants.
  • the cloth is deadlocked in some kind of bin-hauling nightmare, or the game is being buggy, or the Clothier is being a temperamental little bitch. Forget it; just make clothes out of leather instead.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

reading posted:

I just can't get this to work.
This doesn't give me a species where the females have the normal quadruped body plan, but the males have that and 2WINGS which I added at the end of the body plan. Rather it just messes up stuff strangely, like attacks in the arena "pass through" all the body parts.
Your problem might lie with the SELECT_CASTE syntax - it's normally used for minor tweaks to an existing definition (e.g. caste name, fur color), rather than major changes (e.g. bodyplan). Your current syntax *might* be adding a whole bunch of duplicate bodyparts which the game can't layout properly. Hence the "pass through" message during attacks - Dwarf Fortress is very particular about assigning a deterministic order to every layer of a creature (regardless of whether those layers consist of bone, flesh, goo, vapor, clothing, armor, etc...) so that it can resolve piercing and crushing effects appropriately.

Try removing the bodyplan definition from the [CREATURE] root-level, adding two separate bodyplans into the caste definitions, and then run your arena test again. Thus:
pre:
[CREATURE:PEGASUS]
[BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
        [FEMALE]
        [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[CASTE:MALE]
	[MALE]
        [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2WINGS]
        [FLIER]

[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
        [BODY:QUADRUPED_NECK_HOOF:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE:2WINGS]
        [FLIER]
One major problem here is that you're forced to copy-paste a lot of tags (such as body materials) into the two caste blocks, because those tags must appear after the body plan definition. For the sake of simplicity, I'd suggest using the same body-plan for both castes (i.e. don't use the sample that I just provided!), but modifying the tissue properties to suit your needs. Such changes can definitely be made on a per-caste basis. I've used this technique on most of the standard domestic animals, so that only the females will have shearable hair. The males can then be trained as war animals or chained up outside as an early-warning system, and I can keep the females in an enclosed pasture. My farmers will never put themselves into harm's way by attempting to chase down some wayward ram on the other side of the map.

For the "butchering this animal gives bonus leather/meat" idea, I'd suggest hijacking one of the useless tissue layers (nerve or cartilage) for the appropriate caste(s) and appending an EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT tag. You might also be able to repurpose an entire material type (e.g. feathers, which currently have no economic value) via a special TAN_MAT definition or custom reaction. If you specify exactly what you're trying to do, then someone might be able to provide a working sample (which you can tinker with and expand to suit your needs). I don't know whether the pegasus thing is your actual goal, or merely an example that you've used to illustrate the problem.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

? The one in d_init. I'm not aware of more than one limit...
40.xx has a strict limit. If you're playing masterwork then you're stuck with the 34.xx population limit, which is more of a "polite suggestion which routinely gets ignored by the teeming masses of cheesemongers appearing on the horizon."

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Dwarves have no multiple rooms claimed. There's literally 40+ designated bedrooms doing just nothing, claimed by nobody and still dwarves are choosing to sleep on the floor on a z-level that has no bedrooms, no barracks, no hospital and no dormitory.
Are they assigned to a Burrow? Or, somewhat equivalently, is there a military alert in-effect?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Esme posted:

I have a bunch of iron items designated for melting sitting in a stockpile right next to the magma smelter, but my smelter dwarfs keep cancelling the melt jobs saying there are no items. What gives?
Do you have a nearby stockpile for ore boulders, which has been linked to the Magma Smelter, so that your Furnace Operators would stop walking a half-mile to grab a chunk of malachite instead of using the one right beside them?

If so, the smelter cannot accept input items from anywhere else.

Either remove the stockpile links for Smelters on which you're running Melt jobs, or add a link from the meltable-items stockpile so that it's also considered a viable input to the smelter buildings.

quote:

Also most of my massive glass weapons aren't showing up as available for my weapon traps, even though I can see them sitting in a nearby bin, available and unforbidden.
Bins are evil. Some peasant hauler has enqueued a job order which says "Pick up the bin, drag it five feet, and put another glass spike into it." Until he completes that task, the bin and any contents are off-limits to everyone else.

If you wait a while, the bin-hauling tasks will be completed and the weapons will become available.

You can avoid the bin problem by using minecarts (for efficient transport) and quantum stockpiles (for compact storage). In the meantime, ensure that your bins are made of wood so that bin hauling will be as fast as possible.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is there anything else that might cause random aggression in supposedly domesticated animals?
Stress.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stress posted:

Animals can also be stressed, which seems to happen when an animal has been constrained for a long time.
I've seen a pet goat succumb to despair, presumably because it was pastured outdoors on a map which frequently rained blood. Have your hydras seen a lot of combat and/or corpses?

hack/scripts/show-stress.lua
code:
-- Shows stress level of the selected unit

local utils = require 'utils'

local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit()
if unit then
  print('Stress level: ' .. unit.status.current_soul.personality.stress_level)
else
  error('No unit selected.')
end
They're tagged with [BONECARN], so you could try stockpiling a few cat bones in the corner of the hydra enclosure and see whether they get eaten. It probably won't help, but from a role-playing perspective it might make you feel better. And it could justify your subsequent decision to isolate them so that they stop maiming people.

Alternatively:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Taming posted:

... creatures with pet values in the thousands such as dragons are very slow to train and almost impossible to completely domesticate.

Adult trained animals will slowly revert to their wild origins over time and must be permanently scheduled for training (through the animal status menu) to ensure they remain friendly through regular re-training.
If the adults are randomly attacking then maybe that's working-as-intended. If the pups are doing it then maybe you didn't train the mother adequately before they were born. If they're all showing "Domesticated" but still randomly biting people then ???

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

I've probably lost a dozen hours to random crashes since I started playing. :(
In the current version of Dwarf Fortress, I adhere to two key policies for avoiding crashes:
  • never build on twigs.
    • wooded biomes are an FPS drain anyways. If you can make do with imported lumber (and/or setup an early magma-fired metal industry to minimize charcoal consumption) then building your fortress in a wasteland is ideal.
    • if you must build outdoors in verdant surroundings, then apply a thorough scorched-earth policy before you begin construction.
  • in the Hauling menu (where you setup minecart routes), all of your actions should be positive.
    • Assigning a vehicle? Great! Deassigning a vehicle? Risky. Swapping vehicles between routes? You're a madman.
    • Adding a route? Great! Removing a route? Risky. Removing a route which currently has a vehicle assigned, into which stuff is being loaded at this very moment? You're a madman.
    • Adding a stop to the end of a route? Great! Adding a stop to the middle of a route? Risky. Removing a stop? Very risky. Changing the order of stops while a vehicle is currently in-transit along the tracks? You're a madman.
    • Stockpile links are an exception. You can add and remove them, alter the in/out rules, include several redundant links to a single stockpile, maintain a link to a dead stockpile, etc... I've used them extensively to setup quantum stockpiles and I haven't encountered problems.
    • Direction changes are also safe. If they're set incorrectly then dwarves will simply carry the minecart to its next stop (which is slow and unproductive, but it probably won't crash the game).
    • You can safely modify a Route as much as you want (extend it, reorder its stops, or even delete it) before a vehicle has been assigned. But once it's in service, you should tread very carefully.
These policies are especially important because these crashes are deterministic. If you gently caress up your minecart routes and then Quicksave, you can reload that save as many times as you want. The game will crash as soon as you unpause. It's possible to remedy the minecart situation if you're willing to dig into the arcana of job-item allocation (and do some command-line stuff in DFHack), but it's seldom worth the effort.

Corollary: always Quicksave before you make major changes in the Hauling menu. When you've finished, unpause and let the game run for thirty seconds or so. If everything looks OK, you may Save.

Moridin920 posted:

Weird, I have no issues at all with the hauling menu.
Go here, click through the related bug entries. The Hauling menu is a fickle bitch. There's even a macro which can consistently crash the game with nine keystrokes.

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 19, 2015

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I keep thinking I will use them for "get ores many levels down to the magma forges", but haven't bothered so far.
That's the obvious (and historically accurate) use-case, but there are others. I find that they're very helpful for dealing with Finished Goods.

pre:
Quantum Stockpile of Raw Materials
↓↓↓
Workshops to process Raw Materials
↓↓↓
Output Stockpile for Finished Goods
↓↓↓
Minecarts parked here for loading
You setup a modest-sized output stockpile (e.g. 5x5) near each set of workshops, configure it to accept anything that those workshops can create, build a spur line, and park two minecarts on the line.
  • Minecart #1 accepts high quality goods from the output stockpile.
    • When it's full, it will be Guided along the track to a Track Stop, thereby dumping its contents into a quantum stockpile.
    • The destination depends on the type of workshops (and thus - the contents of the minecart). Rock mugs? Dump them beside your Trade Depot. Clothing? Dump it into your general-supplies storage area. Ammunition? Dump it near your barracks and/or archery ranges. Potash? Dump it near your farms.
  • Minecart #2 accepts low quality goods and refuse from the output stockpile.
    • If the goods are metallic, then you'll want to dump them into an Auto-Melt quantum stockpile adjacent to your smelters.
    • For non-metallic goods: you can either quantum dump them beside your catapults (to train your Siege Operators) or dump/shotgun the whole load directly into lava.
    • If you lack access to magma and don't want to bother with catapults then you can just dump the load into an outdoor Refuse stockpile and let everything decay naturally.
This approach minimizes clutter within your workshops by ensuring that there's always "demand" for Finished Goods. If the destination (e.g. Trade Depot, refuse stockpile) is a considerable distance away from your workshops, then you don't need to deal with Bins (bleh!) or watch a dwarf make dozens of trips across 20 z-levels, hauling a single mitten each time (d'oh!).

Also - when I'm waiting for a big project to be completed, it's very relaxing to watch a row of catapults automatically launch my fortress' unwanted crap along a graceful arc and see it splash into the magma sea. I like to imagine that each burning sock liberates a tiny iota of CPU.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Can you link a track system to multiple stockpiles? Can the minecarts be configured to dump certain items off at each stockpile? For example, could I load up a cart with, say, prepared meals, finished instruments, and stone, and configure it to move along a track between a bunch of stops, dumping off just the meals at one spot, the instruments at another, and the stone at a third, before returning back to its original destination?
Yes, but only if you're willing to unload the items by hand at each stop (rather than via automatic Trap Stop dumping). Once you've lost the labour-saving virtue of the quick-dumping, the "overhead" costs (dwarven effort needed to carve the tracks and load the cart; player effort needed to setup the route) may outweigh the benefits. Unless lumber is incredibly scarce in your fortress, it makes more sense to just build more carts and setup mutiple Hauling routes. So long as the carts are being Guided, they can share Tracks without any collision issues (two carts moving in opposite directions along a shared track can simply pass through each other without incident).

Also - it isn't a good idea to mix Stone or Wood haulage with other item types. The raw materials are very bulky, and it takes only a few of them to fill the cart (as opposed to hundreds of Finished Goods).

Your dwarves load the cart with 4 boulders of obsidian (0% full → 80% full). Some jackass puts a flute into the cart (80% full → 80.1% full). The cart is set to "depart immediately when full." There are several more boulders in the input stockpile, but there's insufficient room to put another one into the cart. So the cart is going to sit idle until your fortress produces 199 more flutes. Meanwhile your stone-transport is paralyzed and your masons are wondering what the hell happened.

You can mitigate the harm by setting up secondary departure conditions (e.g. "depart after 7 days if the cart is at least 75% full") but it makes more sense to move the bulk materials on dedicated routes.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

darthbob88 posted:

DFHack question: Can you actually create an aquifer using tiletypes? Supposedly you can add the aquifer flag, but when I've tried it, all I get is an area of damp stone, not the endlessly flowing river I want.
For a water source:

pre:
[DFHack]#liquids
[magma:point:7:f+:s.:pf.]#rs
[riversource:point:f+s.pf.]#  Move cursor to target spot; press Enter
You may be underwhelmed by the quantity of water disgorged by a riversource tile - it's much less impressive than an operating Screw Pump. If you intend to create a "Tidal Wave of Doom" trap then you can either allow your riversource tile to gradually fill a large reservoir (which you then dump into the killzone) or just spawn a whole bunch of riversource tiles behind a raised drawbridge.

For a water sink:
pre:
[DFHack]#tiletypes
tiletypes>paint mat soil
tiletypes>paint sh wall
tiletypes>paint aquifer 1
tiletypes>paint sp normal
tiletypes>  Move cursor to target spot; press Enter
An aquifer wall created in this manner will allow 7/7 water to exist in the tile immediately above it. Any additional water that arrives (e.g. 1/7 in the tile 2 z-levels above the aquifer wall) will be quickly (but not instantly) destroyed. A DFHack'ed aqufier is an effective way to remove excess water (especially if you've spawned a riversource in your fortress to generate an indoor waterfall) but you'll need to plan ahead and include some enclosed "headspace" above the aquifer. If dwarves are somehow able to reach the aquifer tile on foot, then you're probably going to get flooded.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

darthbob88 posted:

is there some place I can find what all the SPecial options do, what the difference between smooth, furrowed, and smooth_dead is?
Not that I know of; the sourcecode isn't documented. The Special flags tend to be cosmetic rather than functional. You can get a few interesting effects via combinations of Materials and Shapes.

MAGMA WALL is Semi-Molten Rock (which has special behaviour w/r/t digging and tunneling)
MAGMA FLOOR is Magma Flow (which destroys any item that lands on it, but only if the tile also contains liquid magma)
FROZEN_LIQUID WALL is a block of Ice.
BROOK BROOK_TOP is a brook surface. Notable because fluids (including magma) will pass through it vertically, but you can still build on it (or create a stockpile atop it). If you let it get muddy you can even farm on it.
AIR EMPTY is space. Note that both the material and the shape designation are needed. NONE EMPTY doesn't work.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

scamtank posted:

I mean, the [EQUIPMENT_WAGON] tag is a big takeoff from any ordinary creature mechanics, but I'm having a hunch that the new feeling mechanics may have slipped in to affect the thing without Toady noticing.
Possible, but wagons have been spontaneously disassembling themselves into piles of lumber for at least three years.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

e: Also, on an unrelated note, is there a tutorial on how to mod DF? I'm more or less looking to understand the framework, and maybe eventually make some changes.
You'll need to clarify whether you're looking to do graphical stuff (ASCII symbols, colours, palettes, tilesets) or content/difficulty tweaks (raw editing) or UI modifications and brand-new features (c++ or lua script via DFHack). There's some overlap among these skillsets, but you'll probably want to start with one instead of learning them all simultaneously.

If you mean "how to mod DF?" in the sense of "how do I install mods?" then that's much more straightforward - read the readme, extract the files, overwrite as needed. Unless you're trying to get six different complete-overhaul mods to cooperate ... then you need finesse and lots of patience.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

It would be great if there were some sort of engine for a lot of these things
People have tried.

Unfortunately, "create a new civ" is only one use-case, and it's a fairly rare/minor one at that. The much more common/important use-cases involve merging. "Please get the new civilization from Mod A to use the new alloys defined by Mod B and the new types of nobillity from Mod C while retaining the worldgen optimizations from Mod D and the armor overhaul from Mod E." Or "please take this thoroughly-modded race which works perfectly in DF2012 and perform whatever updates are needed so that I can use it in DF2014 with all of the new features and without any conflicts or crashes."

In order for merging to be possible, the modding-framework tool needs to understand quite a lot about the tags themselves (nesting, priority, duplication, etc). Remember: there is no API. What we know about tags is based on official documentation (sparse), code decompilation and tracing, Arena mode testing, and guesswork which people post on the wiki. Merging works best if the mod-makers themselves include new meta-tags within their work - to assist the framework in identifying separable modules, section boundaries, and core-vs-optional elements. Don't forget that DFHack also adds a few special tags to the vocabulary - be careful not to use any of those "reserved words" for your modular meta-tags!

So the modular framework gets released ... to no fanfare whatsoever. It isn't mature enough to have a GUI; it relies entirely on command-line input. Therefore it's too complicated for novice users (who might benefit from its features), while the experts are probably accustomed to hand-merging their files and don't trust someone else's code. And then the CompSci hyper-spergs arrive, and begin to bicker about regExes and symbol closure and context-free grammar. One of the ASM gurus emerges from a thirty-hour hacking session to reveal that several of your crucial assumptions about tag precedence are invalid. And we belatedly realize that nobody is willing to expend the enormous effort needed to migrate the major mods (e.g. Masterwork) onto the modular framework ... especially since the guys developing the modular framework will probably CHANGE THE RULES when you're halfway done, and Meph will continue working on his mod in the meantime. And, just to twist the knife, a significant number of modders will actively refuse to cooperate with you -- they don't want their work to be auto-merged into some godawful chimeric amalgamation of Drow elves and steampunk cannons and My Little Pony.

Before we've resolved any of these arguments, the original author abandons the project in despair. Or DF2016 is released, rendering the project moot.

Here's a very old example. Here's a newer one. The LNP launcher does some modular/adaptive stuff, but within a much more limited scope.

quote:

and then spits out the completed raws for your to copy/paste
"Completed raws" is the sticking point. It's easy enough to write a program which will spit out a single file (e.g. entity_default.txt) which can be dropped into an otherwise-pristine vanilla DF2014 installation, and thereby add a single feature (e.g. a new race).

But what happens if the working environment is already modded? Does the tool attempt to spit out a file which is compatible with everything (and if so - how do you deal with all of the bullshit mentioned above)? Or does it simply spit out a vanilla-compatible file which breaks half of the existing mods and therefore causes the game to crash during worldgen?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Robot Randy posted:

I'm using both but the crashes happen faster than I can remember to quicksave, like maybe half or 3/4 of a season at most
Are you building stuff on the surface within a wooded biome? Or building stuff underground in close proximity to fungal trees?

That's a known bug. There's a binary patch available.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Bundle of Keys posted:

I decided to give dwarf fortress another go and downloaded the latest lazy newbie pack, but the game seems to be crashing a lot. What's going on?
What are the circumstances? Crashing during worldgen? During embark? When the caravan attempts to leave the map? While fast-traveling in adventure mode? At season changes? When retiring a fort?

If it seems to be happening randomly during fortress mode gameplay, and you're in a forested area, then it's possible that you've run into this bug. If so, you can either try to settle at wasteland, tundra, and desert sites -- which will incidentally improve your FPS (trees are somewhat number-crunchy). If you want to stick with forested sites (e.g. for easy access to lumber and charcoal) then either avoid building anything on the surface, or make absolutely certain that you've clear-cut the construction zone (i.e. don't build within ten tiles of a living tree).

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

I just had an armorer go into a mood, and I was really pumped about the potential of getting some legendary adamantine armor, but then he got hung up on needing cloth and nothing I've made has appeased him.
Loom > (a) Weave Metal Cloth

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Dongattack posted:

He "just" got 240+ days in prison tho, i was expecting him to be executed or banished since this does not deal with the vampire problem (the one who supposedly saw it happen might be the vampire anyway, i love this).
Due to general fuckiness concerning job-assignment priority, it's quite possible for prisoners (and hospital patients) to die of hunger or thirst. This will not happen to vampires, of course.

The logical in-game approach is a witch trial. Ensure that each prison cell has a door that can be locked from outside. When the vampire suspect is incarcerated, lock the door. If you notice signs of starvation, then you can unlock the door and allow him to serve his remaining sentence. If he dies anyways, then he can be considered exonerated and given an honorable burial. If he survives 240 days without food, then the diagnosis is confirmed and you can apply metagame penal measures (e.g. entomb him forever in a tiny office as a vampire-accountant, assign him to a 1-man military squad and order him to explore the caverns, setup a minecart on an eternal loop and tell him to ride it, or just dump his rear end into magma if you're prudent and boring).

The in-game penal answer is "to be implemented." Open up Legends mode and you'll find vampires living hundreds of years (with nobody raising any concerns or objections), holding high political offices, and killing thousands of people. Occasionally they're forced to migrate because they've successfully exsanguinated every single person in their civilization. Dwarf Fortress isn't a finished game, and sometimes you just need to accept the absurdity and roll with it. Some mods add religious and magic game-mechanics, which allow you to detect vampirism and then cure or destroy the afflicted creature.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

reignofevil posted:

If we could just get siege weapons that pointed up and down that'd be great.
Do you mean "adjust the elevation of a weapon so that it can reliably hit a target on a different Z-level"? Because you can already do that via DFHack. That particular plugin is also handy for loading your fortress' garbage into a catapult and then flinging it on diagonal path towards your nearby volcano. Eliminate waste, train Siege Operator levels, minimal risk of peasants getting burned by lava splashes, and you occasionally get to slap a luckless bird out of the sky with a ballistic mitten.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why do siege operators flee anyways. It should be fairly simple to make people who are doing siege tasks have NOFEAR or something.

Simple as in it's probably super complex and gently caress no I'm not going to attempt that.
Urist McHypothetical: "The goblin horde approaches! Worry not, citizens. I shall remain at my post, and at the appointed moment I will unleash my ballista to deadly effect, tearing a bloody swath through their serried ranks. With my task fulfilled, I shall quickly retire from the field, leaving our brave militia to dispose of the maimed survivors."

Urist McNOFEAR: "The goblin horde approaches! Goblins are my enemy. I shall now leap over this ballista in order to come to grips with my foe as swiftly as possible. Armok has cleansed my soul of doubt, and I know that I will find victory today. Feel my flailing fists and gnashing teeth, you filthy interlopers!"

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Can you unassign war animals somehow? I assigned a few to a dwarf that turned out to be a vampire!
I don't think that you can rescind an assignment without killing the dwarf in question.

The standard workaround is to postpone the assignment as long as possible. Each animal will automatically follow the dwarf who trained them, and you can designate a specific trainer for each animal (after toggling the general "Train for War" or "Train for Hunting" flag, but before the actual training occurs), so it's possible to get the desired results with a bit of pausing and micromanagement. It's a bit tougher to manage, because all of your soldiers will show "0 war animals assigned" on their unit information pages -- if a wardog gets killed in combat, you may need to do some head-counting in order to figure out which guy needs a replacement puppy. You could also review each soldier's biography to see who's sad about getting his dog killed, but that's a similarly grueling task.

Despite not being assigned to a specific soldier, your animals will still fight any enemies who approach them - and can earn a name if they tear out enough kobold throats.

If the trainer turns out to be a vampire (or undergoes a strange mood and gets demobilized to serve as a master blacksmith, or gets pregnant and needs a break from front-line patrol duty) then you can assign their dogs to someone else.

Admittedly, this whole approach is quite "video game-y" and it requires some fiddly work. On the upside: it feels a bit more immersive for animals to follow the person who spent some time bonding with them, instead of gravitating to a particular alcoholic midget just because an omnipotent voice-from-above told them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

-bees don't have stingers :psyduck:
For those who aren't initiated into the arcana of Dwarf Fortress: bees bite people. Their bite attack verb is cosmetically overwritten with the word "stung" (Urist has been *stung* by a honeybee!). The bite attack injects venom into the target. Male bees cannot bite. Honeybees automatically die after biting; bumblebees survive.

Internet Kraken is complaining that Toady made a quick-and-dirty edit which achieves the desired gameplay effect. Instead of - you know - writing up a modified body template which includes ovipositors, creating a new attack subroutine which severs part of the attacking organism's body and implants it into the target, extending the raw-parser to recognize definitions of various types of self-mutilating attacks (porcupine quills? urticating hairs? parasitoid wasp ova?), and ensuring that an embedded bodypart can continue to damage, irritate, or envenom the target even if the attacker dies during the attack action.

Internet Kraken has pemanently forfeited the right to complain about the DF release schedule.