Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Try Debian, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
vlc is ftw. i watch all of my anime with it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Good luck.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my secondhand dell inspiron laptop that originally came preinstalled with ubuntu and has an ubuntu sticker from the manufacturer that i have installed ubuntu on has an hdmi port that ubuntu refuses to see has a monitor connectged to it and im having to gently caress with modelines to make it do anything and also theres no sound over hdmi. laptop linux FTW

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Edit* Also LOL at NTFS still being case-insensitive.

is case sensitivity a good thing??

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

why?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Why would a file that's name foo be the same as a file named Foo?

cuz i dont want to hold shift

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

But it's windows? You just point and click? If it was a good OS you would use the terminal with proper tab completion.

I cant type "cd dow" and then mash tab to get to Downloads or whatever in linux, I ahve to type Dow which is a whole new ball game in terms of effort

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat i need to get me some of that then

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

sick. thanks

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

matti posted:

i've just been having fun time learning about hardware trying to build a mental of how a tty plugged into a i386 unix would work

i have fairly good idea except why does the 8250 uart and the ibm async communications adapter just get to write memory where it ever pleases, guess i just always assumed it was the sole privilege of the os and the bios

time to skim another from the 90s book tomorrow

whats the best jackie chan movie

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
mate is good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i havent used kde since 3. i mean i liked it at the time though.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
you could make it look like anything though..

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
python is cool

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it's okay linux users you can admit that vi/m is bad. we won't take your nerd cards. you are safe

i like geany

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i didnt say debian was good, i said it was better

its good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

infernal machines posted:

linux is not UX

you can say that again!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

spankmeister posted:

My favorite solaris-ism is the behavior of killall.

On Linux it kills all processes that match a given command line argument. On Solaris it doesn't and just, well, kills all the processes.

Lots and lots of Linux people with no Solaris experience have brought down Solaris boxes like that. It's like a rite of passage.

lol wtf

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
linux is cool. linux ftw

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

pram posted:

is it really though?

i mean. i like it better than win 10

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

checks out, I just asked IT to swap out my lovely MacBook for a decent laptop (thinkpad) running a decent os (Debian)

nice one op

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i have no strong opinion of systemd

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm really trying to like Arch, I really am. But like I'm getting core dumps from half a dozen applications every few minutes on this computer with an Arch based install, USB barely works and crashes out at least once a day entirely, bluetooth doesn't work until after login. This is even if I switch to the LTS kernal and have been looking through the Arch wiki and using the Arch distro forums to troubleshoot for over a week. I really want to like it with the AUR.

My Debian distro I have installed on another drive on this computer Just Works (R) with only a handful of tweaks here and there needed.

use debian. dont torture yourself for no reason

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

i vomit kittens posted:

decided to try livebooting fedora from a USB on my laptop to see how it'd go. the ASUS ZenBook's touchpad is actually asecond screen for some stupid loving reason and, well...

and yes i had to navigate to the display settings from the touchpad to fix it

lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
windows updates are bafflingly tedious

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
have you tried vlc?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

all software is bad, yes

i think a lot of it is good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ah this is cool:

rm "-h"
rm: invalid option -- 'h'
Try 'rm ./-h' to remove the file '-h'.
Try 'rm --help' for more information.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the best distro for all purposes is Debian stable. you can use other things but they’re not as good

This

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
It Just Works

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

pram posted:

isnt that literally debian lmao

rms doesn't like debian because it has the optional non-free repository which taints the entire distribution and actively restricts your freedoms

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

hbag posted:

i have heard that ubuntu sucks eggs though

its ok. no real reason to use it over debian though

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

hbag posted:

debian doesnt like my laptop for some reason
installed it and then it just kinda hangs on a black screen with a flashing cursor as if it's waiting to do something but then never does (pre-fedora)
although maybe that mightve just been my SSD? idk

could be. i'd try it again just in case when your shits unfucked

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
theres only a couple of passwords i enter by hand and if i consciously think about what one is before i enter it then i forget it until i forget i remembered it again

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

animist posted:

my linux machine died this week. That is my linux story

sorry

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

BobHoward posted:

when suspdish worked for endless, endless was still working on that blob shaped cheap appliance computer, which appears to be mostly memoryholed on their website

the whole thing seems to be a replay of the OLPC grift. nerds who read too much stephenson are all like: "poors need computers too. we charity grifters will deliver special poor-people computers to them. this one weird trick bootstraps third world countries into prosperity!"

then when the hardware angle fails because nobody really wants fake computers, pivot to software. when that goes nowhere, fold, and through it all maintain a studied ignorance of the real roots of global poverty

(lomarf at the endless approach to sec though. at least when OLPC tried to secure linux, it was so good apple hired the dude who designed it)

thats really interesting

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i use debian stable + fluxbox on my desktop and laptop. its always worked and the oldness doesnt really bother me

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

carry on then posted:

remember bitchx

this one's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
does it not run in wine